Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 544 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

external-content.duckduckgo.com (resized).jpg
    jerseysign (resized).jpg
    Lebowski-Opinion-Meme (resized).jpg
    JJP sign.jpg
    7A1D77B5-E9FC-4EEA-84E8-D00B85A0A678 (resized).jpeg
    2 29 20a 1850 Greenleaf (resized).jpg
    2 29 20a (resized).PNG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Roscoe 215080943 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    2D5411D3-8375-49B3-9356-1D77637C092C.jpeg
    8F7B96B9-D04B-4A33-BFC1-72B9F9DDD574.jpeg
    pj (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    indiana-jones-2048x1024 (resized).jpg

There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.
    #51 4 years ago

Chicago is the pinball capital of the world, so I guess it was just a matter of time

Having the whole team in one place makes sense for many reasons.

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Guess Jack and his family will be relocating?

Not like Jack is the majority owner and hard to see this as his choice -- picking up his family and moving to Illinois. Have to wonder if part of this is getting him further removed from operations or Pat wanting more control (less travel?).

Quoted from JodyG:

Let the poaching begin!

No doubt they will be poaching from Stern, CGC, AP, and others.

#52 4 years ago

They are getting very close to Stern, it makes me wonder if the proximity is only physical.

#53 4 years ago

Co-incidence that they are in the SAME business park as Stern????!

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

My family had a factory in Lakewood once, making roll pins. You will NOT get any talent to move there. What a shit town.....

people could commute from outlying areas

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I thought most pinball parts were coming from Asia?

what parts, the boards? I'm talking about off the shelf pinball parts like flipper mechs, posts, playfield glass, coin doors, legs, lockdown bars. Unless you're homepin, I'm guessing most of that comes from pinball life.

#56 4 years ago

maybe Stern will be making all their games? I don't think JJP is very good on the manufacturing/throughput side, which is Sterns strength

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Elk Grove Village is the largest business park in the country, so likely good incentives as much as anything.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Maybe, but our industrial park is the largest in the country so being in the same park isn’t really that weird. I’m wondering if they are actually moving into the new technology park that Elk Grove built a few years ago. They have been really pushing big incentives for businesses to come here to fill the technology park because it was built before they even had any interest from any companies. It was a sore subject to us because of the money they dumped into it without any guarantees that it would actually attract business. But the govt knows best and rammed the project thru. It is now after a few years of being empty buildings, finally getting some businesses to fill the spaces.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Or perhaps IL isn't as anti-business as right wing political prognosticators seem to think? I can't imagine any business moving if they didn't do the math first...
    Jeff

I live in IL and operate a small business here, it's not a business friendly state for the most part.

This article is from 2018 but it still holds true.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2018-03-15/companies-want-out-of-illinois

#60 4 years ago

Its so darn cold for a big junk of the year in Chicago. Burrr

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Or perhaps IL isn't as anti-business as right wing political prognosticators seem to think? I can't imagine any business moving if they didn't do the math first...
    Jeff

Illinois is a terrible place to run a business. They even have a “replacement tax” that taxes businesses in the state to try to entice new people to come to IL to start a business. This is done because of the large numbers leaving the state due to the state. I suppose relative to California however even Illinois would look like a better choice.

#62 4 years ago

Wonder if Jack himself is going to also move.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Its so darn cold for a big junk of the year in Chicago. Burrr

Chicago weather is aboot the same as Central Jersey.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I didn't call Illinois a crappy flyover state, I said "some crappy flyover state". They were already in Illinois. And yes, I wouldn't move to PA either if given the choice. People are leaving this joint in droves for a reason.

Ah! I was just joking anyways. I own a business in Chicago, and between the city and the state, they just continue to become less small business friendly as the years go on.

#65 4 years ago

Jack has conceded and knows Chicago has better pizza!

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from spoke:

No doubt they will be poaching from Stern, CGC, AP, and others.

Rumors are it is already happening.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from V8chopper:

Illinois is a terrible place to run a business.

The amount of infrastructure, manufacturing and reduced cost of shipping in a lot of instances off set the taxes and regulations.
    The greater Chicagoland area still has a huge amount of manufacturing.

#68 4 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if JJP outright buys AP at some point (or the other way around.. I have no idea how much money the investors of either have..) to consolidate their resources.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Jack has conceded and knows Chicago has better pizza!

They did it for the hot dogs.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

I wouldn't be surprised if JJP outright buys AP at some point (or the other way around.. I have no idea how much money the investors of either have..) to consolidate their resources.

I would find this very surprising.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

maybe Stern will be making all their games?

HaHa. Good one. And no.

LTG : )

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

The likely hood of either happening is almost non-existent.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ven:

I live in IL and operate a small business here, it's not a business friendly state for the most part.
    This article is from 2018 but it still holds true.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2018-03-15/companies-want-out-of-illinois

Careful, you'll get labeled as a right wing prognosticator.

#74 4 years ago

Hope this move works out for JJP and Jack and gang!

Now they just need to give LTG his own private jet to fly in for meetings, and Steve as well!

This'll definitely make their appearance at TPF in a month, much more interesting....and it was already high on the list for excitement!

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I'm not sure what people think, they'll be lobbing mortars or old drop target banks at each other?

There was a time when about 5 pinball companies were all neighbors in Chicago, and at least one was owned by the mob! Street warfare never broke out.

Yeah. It's not like Data East guys went in and out of the factory in trench coats and plastic nose/eye glass disguises. Or a car was parked near Williams and someone with binoculars watched which designers were spending more time going in and out, so they could figure whose game was coming out next.

Let the games begin.

#76 4 years ago

Obviously I wish the best for all involved. Jersey Jack Pinball. Distributors. And customers !

Let the good times roll.

#77 4 years ago

I just want to know who is resurrecting the Gottlieb name?

#78 4 years ago

Say manufacturing is moving to Chicago.... so does that mean main sales offices stay in NJ?

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I just want to know who is resurrecting the Gottlieb name?

Toyshock.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Maybe, but our industrial park is the largest in the country so being in the same park isn’t really that weird. I’m wondering if they are actually moving into the new technology park that Elk Grove built a few years ago. They have been really pushing big incentives for businesses to come here to fill the technology park because it was built before they even had any interest from any companies. It was a sore subject to us because of the money they dumped into it without any guarantees that it would actually attract business. But the govt knows best and rammed the project thru. It is now after a few years of being empty buildings, finally getting some businesses to fill the spaces.

Agreed. While IL is Far from a manufacturing friendly area any longer Elk Grove is flush with quality low cost manufacturing. I have close to 50 companies in that area (mostly job shops) that run 7 days a week with advanced technologies and skilled staff. The key for JJP is maintaining the high skill team they have here and building from there. I wish them the very best and hope this consolidation brings them great success. Plus the food is Ten times better here then in NJ!

#81 4 years ago

Dang that stinks.. was always nice to be able to have the option to pick up my jjp purchases at the factory. I wish them well and hope it dont delay upcoming releases to much.

#82 4 years ago

THIS SURE IS JUICY...

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

Say manufacturing is moving to Chicago.... so does that mean main sales offices stay in NJ?

Sounds like nothing will remain in NJ.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Yeah. It's not like Data East guys went in and out of the factory in trench coats and plastic nose/eye glass disguises. Or a car was parked near Williams and someone with binoculars watched which designers were spending more time going in and out, so they could figure whose game was coming out next.
    Let the games begin.

Well, this mystery fellow hopped on the stern tour bus at expo one year
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-pinball-expo-trip-report/page/7#post-3394217

#86 4 years ago

Sometimes you gotta do what's best for business. Jersey sucks period with taxes and is becoming even more expensive to live in, let alone breathe in it. I'm ready to move out of this state.

Wish Jack and everyone at JJP the best!

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

so is he going to change his name?

illinoisjackpinball.com is still up for grabs.

#88 4 years ago

Hope the move helps JJP or IJP to grow, wish all the best for the team ! And that they keep pushing innovation and better products in the industry.
    Manufacturing process was improved for wonka, maybe they can pull out a new line for a Pirates Plack Pearl edition while also building G&R and Wonka.

I wonder how much Keith pass is worth theses days with all major companies close to each other.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

They did it for the hot dogs.

One word that many across the country know, Portillo's.

chicago_jack (resized).jpgchicago_jack (resized).jpg
    #90 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

One word that many across the country know, Portillo's.[quoted image]

Just had a big beef for lunch today!

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

One word that many across the country know, Portillo's.[quoted image]

Isn't that kinda the McDonald's of Chicago though? As in readily available but not the best.

I did a pretty determined hot dog tour a few years back, and liked the place, but it definitely felt more chain than the best secret little spot or example of Italian Beef's and Chicago Dogs in town....

Kinda like Lou Malnati's.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sounds like nothing will remain in NJ.

Jack and jen will stay in nj. Jack travels a lot so this wont really change. While slightly more difficult, jen can do her job from anywhere also.

#93 4 years ago

Buona Beef is my favorite.
    Gene and Jude's for hot dogs...

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Isn't that kinda the McDonald's of Chicago though? As in readily available but not the best.
    I did a pretty determined hot dog tour a few years back, and liked the place, but it definitely felt more chain than the best secret little spot or example of Italian Beef's and Chicago Dogs in town....

No. But it is definitely a chain. Btw, did you visit gene and judes on your hot dog tour?

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Their Hot Dog is ok, but their beef is still one of the better around, Extra gravy, sweet and hot peppers for me!

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Buona Beef is my favorite.
    Gene and Jude's for hot dogs...

Bouna is real good too, but since they’re now everywhere it seems pretty inconsistent from store to store

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

It is a 'comfort' place for many knowing what to expect and it is good. But there are definitely other places to checkout, everyone definitely has their own favorite. Wolfy's, Gene and Judes, Murphy's, Superdawg, the list is quite long and many are very good. Jack will have time to check them all out, maybe he can start his own ranking of where he goes.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

Jack and jen will stay in nj. Jack travels a lot so this wont really change. While slightly more difficult, jen can do her job from anywhere also.

I meant company. Not personnel.

I'll stay put too.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I meant company. Not personnel.
    I'll stay put too.

Just heard on Kanada SS Billiards is moving to Chicago for its 50th anniversary!!

#100 4 years ago

No one mentioned Mr Beef in this thread?
    Shame on all of you!

There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-moving-to-illinois/page/2?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.