Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 544 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

external-content.duckduckgo.com (resized).jpg
    jerseysign (resized).jpg
    Lebowski-Opinion-Meme (resized).jpg
    JJP sign.jpg
    7A1D77B5-E9FC-4EEA-84E8-D00B85A0A678 (resized).jpeg
    2 29 20a 1850 Greenleaf (resized).jpg
    2 29 20a (resized).PNG
    image (resized).jpeg
    Roscoe 215080943 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    2D5411D3-8375-49B3-9356-1D77637C092C.jpeg
    8F7B96B9-D04B-4A33-BFC1-72B9F9DDD574.jpeg
    pj (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    indiana-jones-2048x1024 (resized).jpg

There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
    #1 4 years ago

Press release issued today:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/jersey-jack-pinball-announces-the-relocation-of-its-manufacturing-operations-to-elk-grove-village-illinois-301011103.html

CHICAGO, Feb. 26, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Jersey Jack Pinball (JJP), creator of premium pinball machines, will relocate its manufacturing operations from Lakewood, New Jersey to Elk Grove Village, Illinois, bringing fabrication into greater synergy with the design and engineering teams currently based in Bensenville Illinois, where JJP anticipates creating fifty or more new jobs.

"First and foremost, I would like to thank all the employees in Lakewood for their hard work and dedication to Jersey Jack Pinball and the wider pinball industry. Their contributions are greatly appreciated," said Jack Guarnieri. "This move will allow JJP to remain competitive and efficient in the market. We look forward to creating an exciting, collaborative workplace in Illinois, where we can continue to be pioneers of pinball design, building great games for many years to come."

Jersey Jack Pinball (JJP) is the industry leader in quality and technical innovation, creating groundbreaking pinball machines for seasoned players, collectors, and newcomers to the game. Designed and manufactured in the United States, JJP's state-of-the-art games are conceived on a foundation of pinball's rich history and engineered with an unflinching eye toward its future.

#2 4 years ago

Not sure how I feel about this.

#3 4 years ago

Welcome to the Pinball Capital of the world!

#5 4 years ago

Kaboom...Kaneda's rumor was right.

#6 4 years ago

I think it is good for them. Everyone else is there.

#7 4 years ago

Interesting, Chicago is a more central location for distribution. Looking forward to the JJP factory tours during Chicago Expo!

Isn't it affordable to run businesses in Illinois? Maybe better than NJ.

#9 4 years ago

wow so Kaneda was right.

#10 4 years ago

Interesting....could they be co-locating with another manufacturer? An address isn't mentioned....

#11 4 years ago

Makes sense, but its a bummer for the Jersey crew that need to find jobs now... How many employees in Jersey, maybe 30? Guess Jack and his family will be relocating?

#13 4 years ago

Looks like manufacturing will be 5 miles from the design offices and right beside O’Hare airport.
    4592FA5F-C8BA-46EE-9ED8-789EE6EA0CDB.jpeg4592FA5F-C8BA-46EE-9ED8-789EE6EA0CDB.jpeg

My vote is - Chicago’s Own, Jersey Jack becoming South Shore’s Chicago Jack.

#14 4 years ago

They’re moving to Elk Grove village? That’s the same industrial park that Stern is located in.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

They’re moving to Elk Grove village? That’s the same industrial park that Stern is located in.

That's what I'm afraid of.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

That's what I'm afraid of.

Let the poaching begin!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Interesting....could they be co-locating with another manufacturer? An address isn't mentioned....

they are not co-locating with anyone else, just consolidating production and engineering under one roof.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Just imagine them being neighbors... LOL

#19 4 years ago

Does Chicago offer a tax break for pinball companies ; )

why does everyone go there? Can't be the cheapest option....

#20 4 years ago

When? It doesn't say. Would this be starting with the JJP #6 pin within the next month or two?

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Cheaper than NJ for sure on all fronts.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

When? It doesn't say. Would this be starting with the JJP #6 pin within the next month or two?

Maybe the move will delay things?

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

they are not co-locating with anyone else, just consolidating production and engineering under one roof.

Thanks for the confirmation, either would make sense....

Quoted from Midway-Man:

Just imagine them being neighbors... LOL

From what I've seen the staff themselves on both teams get along well, seen many of them going out to dinner together at shows. Too much history and common ground amongst them...

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

From what I've seen the staff themselves on both teams get along well, seen many of them going out to dinner together at shows. Too much history and common ground amongst them...

Yeah I'm not sure what people think, they'll be lobbing mortars or old drop target banks at each other?

There was a time when about 5 pinball companies were all neighbors in Chicago, and at least one was owned by the mob! Street warfare never broke out.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Maybe the move will delay things?

Honestly, setting up a pinball assembly line can't be that hard compared to a lot of other manufacturing. JJP makes very few parts on site. Its a matter of taking the fixtures and assembly stations out of one building and moving it to the new building. Air and power drops are pretty much the main things they need to get assembly back up and going. Also, new employee training. I've been involved with much more complex plant moves in the last few years...but I am not seeing a whole lot of pain in moving JJP after watching their plant tour videos. Incidentally, the last plant I helped move was out of Chicago and into rural Indiana due to union issues.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Thanks for the confirmation, either would make sense....

Yeah, it's funny because when i go down and have lunch with my brother we will sometimes bump into stern people. Last time he and I went to lunch Ritchie and Sexton were walking into the deli as we were walking out.

#27 4 years ago

From September 2018:

And, as far as manufacturing in New Jersey, Guarnieri said he is happy to stay put.

“It’s in the name,” he said. “I can’t imagine building games anywhere else but here.”

Apparently Jack's imagination has been running wild in the last year and a half.

(From: https://www.roi-nj.com/2018/09/27/industry/bumper-crop-jersey-jack-pinball-is-thriving-on-old-school-gamers-love-for-its-artisanal-pinball-machines/)

#28 4 years ago

Village Vinny Pinball

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Not really sure why any business would move to IL nothing business friendly in this state.

#30 4 years ago

There it is.

#31 4 years ago

Interesting!

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ven:

Not really sure why any business would move to IL nothing business friendly in this state.

Or perhaps IL isn't as anti-business as right wing political prognosticators seem to think? I can't imagine any business moving if they didn't do the math first...

Jeff

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Looks like manufacturing will be 5 miles from the design offices and right beside O’Hare airport.
    [quoted image]
    My vote is - Chicago’s Own, Jersey Jack becoming South Shore’s Chicago Jack.

I just want to congratulate you on making a map without fake pinball locations on it.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ven:

I recall Stern investors negotiating with several States around the time the company moved. Eventually they stayed in Illinois, but other States had shown interest as well. That may have resulted in some benefit if they would stay in Illinois?

#35 4 years ago

Wondering if any new positions will be opening. I would love to apply for an engineering role there.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

That may have resulted in some benefit if they would stay in Illinois?

Yeah, their top guys staying with the company. Don't think there would not have been key people who would have quit over moving their families to some crappy flyover state.

#37 4 years ago

Imagine all the costs saved by not having to ship parts to jersey since most of the parts are in Chicago? Not to mention they don't have to fly designers out to jersey everytime a game is about to go on the production line. This move only makes sense.

#38 4 years ago

"The company has a design and development lab in Bensenville, Illinois, where artists, programmers and engineers work together with those in New Jersey to design and develop games. “Once in a while, I have wondered if it would have been better, worse or different, but we get everything done that we need to most effectively,” Guarnieri said."

Wonder no more I guess. Hopefully, this brings the price of their games down a bit.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Imagine all the costs saved by not having to ship parts to jersey since most of the parts are in Chicago? Not to mention they don't have to fly designers out to jersey everytime a game is about to go on the production line. This move only makes sense.

I thought most pinball parts were coming from Asia?

#40 4 years ago

I believe jjp in Lakewood was in an economic Enterprise zone that allows for several tax breaks..could be wrong, but doesn't seem entirely related to cost.

Sad to see, I always liked visiting the factory and getting my games there. Feel bad for the staff, they were always nice.

The factory in Lakewood is pretty far from the nearest airport, I'd guess at least an hour. Maybe they just have more synergies being in one place and closer to major transportation.

#41 4 years ago

Hopefully this is a good thing for JJP....I wonder how long it will delay the release of their next game? Moving, staffing, and getting operations up at a new location isn't rocket science, but it does take time.

#42 4 years ago

"Artisinal Pinball Machines". There it is: proof that Peak Hipster was reached in September, 2018

I wonder if this move is also intended to help shipping and distribution costs, being closer to the central-US / O'Hare hub.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Yeah, their top guys staying with the company. Don't think there would not have been key people who would have quit over moving their families to some crappy flyover state.

... you're a crappy flyover state.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from SlightlySnaked:

... you're a crappy flyover state.

I didn't call Illinois a crappy flyover state, I said "some crappy flyover state". They were already in Illinois. And yes, I wouldn't move to PA either if given the choice. People are leaving this joint in droves for a reason.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Or perhaps IL isn't as anti-business as right wing political prognosticators seem to think? I can't imagine any business moving if they didn't do the math first...
    Jeff

NJ and Chicago are both not GREAT business friendly states. I am sure it is a matter of parts suppliers being local, pinball talent being local, lots of experienced pinball employees available, and his design team is already there. I would say the cost of business is about the same in both states and therefore has nothing to do with your political babble your spewing.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Midway-Man:Just imagine them being neighbors... LOL

Bally (the real Bally) and Williams were about a half-mile apart walking/driving distance. As the crow flies, maybe 2/10's of a mile. Heck, Bally's Bingo tech building was across Roscoe from Williams/United.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I believe jjp in Lakewood was in an economic Enterprise zone that allows for several tax breaks..could be wrong, but doesn't seem entirely related to cost.

I think you are correct. I think this is strictly to be closer to pinball suppliers and talent.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tlamb:

Wondering if any new positions will be opening. I would love to apply for an engineering role there.

Whirlpool not challenging enough?

I just mean this as your town is close to Whirlpool's engineering and tech centers.

#49 4 years ago

Sounds like Good News.
    Best wishes on the move!

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Sad to see, I always liked visiting the factory and getting my games there. Feel bad for the staff, they were always nice.
    The factory in Lakewood is pretty far from the nearest airport, I'd guess at least an hour. Maybe they just have more synergies being in one place and closer to major transportation.

My family had a factory in Lakewood once, making roll pins. You will NOT get any talent to move there. What a shit town.....

There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-moving-to-illinois and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.