(Topic ID: 240583)

JJP Location Machine "Buy it Now" Topper - Anyone seen this before?

By Yoko2una

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MrBally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I thought I took a picture but apparently not as it's not in my photos.

A few weeks ago I went to a barcade to kill some time before an evening with family. They usually have a solid lineup and I was very surprised to see that they had JJPOTC, Hobbit, and DI among a few modern sterns and some popular B/W.

On top of Hobbit I saw something I've never seen before - a lit numeric display topper featuring a countdown price that seemed to be linked to the game's audits. The topper both featured the logos of JJP and the establishment so it didn't seem "homebrew". The display basically said something along the lines of "the more the game is played, the more the price decreases. Buy it now, or play it and watch the 'Buy it Now' price go down."

As someone who would love a JJP but can't stomach their prices (NIB or used), I thought it was a fantastic idea. I buy project or routed games more often than not, so I wouldn't be opposed to a routed JJP if that's the only way it's going to happen. The only issues that turned me off about this certain Hobbit were the following...

1) Hobbit is my least favorite JJP title.
2) I've seen good examples in the mid-to-low $6K range in the region.
3) Between when I went there, played a few games, saw others play it, and then came back a few hours later on a half-busy Thursday night, the price hadn't decreased. Obviously it can't be a $1-for-$1 decrease in price, and perhaps it only goes down in larger increments (aka last digit always remains zero and price goes down by some multiple of $10) but I was hoping to see the decrease in action.

and most importantly...

4) The price on the "Buy it Now" Topper was somewhere in the $6900 range I believe, and this Hobbit wasn't flipping the best. Controlled drops weren't scrolling for that particular skill shot, kickback was misfiring, one of the pop up monsters wouldn't come up...etc.

So I wonder if this is a trial thing, something unique to this establishment, or if it's becoming commonplace out there. I think if implemented correctly, it's a fantastic idea. If it were a game I wanted, the price was enticing for me, and gave the operator full ROI plus acceptable profit, I could see myself returning to the location multiple times to check in on it, maybe drop some bucks to watch the price drop, and consider what needed to be moved in my collection if/when I was ready to pounce. However, I don't think many are going to drool at a $6900 Hobbit that needs work so there's probably a balance that needs to be struck if this could work on a larger scale.

If you have pics from out in the wild showing the topper, share them as well.

#2 4 years ago

Where is this location?
.................David Marston

#3 4 years ago

I like this idea. Even if they never sell, it makes the unwashed masses aware that the machine they’re beating on is likely more expensive than the minivan they arrived in.

#4 4 years ago

It's interesting from a psychological standpoint. How low does a potential buyer think it'll go before someone else pounces on the deal. $6,200? $6,000? $5,800? $5,600?

It's sorta like they're telling you exactly what they think the depreciation of the game is based on the typical wear associated with routing a game.

#5 4 years ago

Well and this is a Hobbit we are talking about so he needs to drum up plays and if someone did buy it I’m sure he wouldn’t be very upset.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

Where is this location?
.................David Marston

It's Bit Bar in Salem, MA (about 15-20 mi northeast of Boston). According to their website, they're now also a licensed JJP dealer, so it suggests this probably does indeed have JJP's input and blessing.

#7 4 years ago

They are a new distributor I believe. Not certain. Nice guys.

#8 4 years ago

Maybe they are using a Mikohn (now owned by IGT) slot machine Progressive Jackpot Controller.
For every dollar inserted, the jackpot goes up by a penny or half-penny.

Just program in reverse for the pinball sell price example.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-location-machine-buy-it-now-topper-anyone-seen-this-before and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.