(Topic ID: 209471)

JJP Live


By Hogbog

8 months ago



Topic Stats

  • 133 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Hogbog
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

38914429_2123396487678936_7234173245270786048_n (resized).jpg
38888221_2123396564345595_2541079003670773760_n (resized).jpg
38802839_2123396391012279_6441242224238788608_n (resized).jpg
38714583_2123396631012255_4261179454002298880_n (resized).jpg
IMG_0466 (resized).PNG
IMG_0465 (resized).PNG
Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 9.48.34 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 9.29.57 PM (resized).png
POTC2 (resized).JPG
POTC1 (resized).JPG

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
66
#1 8 months ago

Interested in learning more about the gameplay of JJPotC? Join myself, Keith Johnson, Joe Katz, and one other employee from the Engineering team as we launch our first live stream! First episode is happening Wednesday, February 14th, at 3pm Central Standard Time. We will play a couple games of JJPotC and call out our shots and strategies as we do it, explaining rules, progress, and objectives. Join us on Twitch to ask any questions and hang out with the design team!

https://www.twitch.tv/jjplive

This will be the first stream and we will do more.

Hope to see you in the chat!

Eric

#2 8 months ago

Is this the first pinball company doing a direct stream? Very cool!

If you could could pull off direct video and audio like iepinball does that would be a massive bonus!

#3 8 months ago

This sounds awesome, looking forward to it!

#4 8 months ago

Will be there!

#5 8 months ago

Well done Eric. Ive been itching for more footage and updates on pirates. Keep the content coming!

#6 8 months ago

Already have it blocked out in my calendar, can't wait

#7 8 months ago

Nice. I’ll be watching.

#8 8 months ago

Booked in already cant wait

#9 8 months ago

This is too romantic for me.

#10 8 months ago

If i am free i will be in the chat trying to help out with questions.

#11 8 months ago

My wife and I got a private tutorial from Eric last Friday with just the general progression and some advantages and strategies to some shots. It is pretty complex, but once it is explained to you and you try a few things, most game major plot progressions are easier to follow. We played a game with Eric and more than 20 other games on it also. Eric's tutorial of the game pretty much sold us on the game. We did play it at Expo before, but this really helped us. I hope that we can view this video afterwards as I will want to refer to it after we eventually get our pin. Maybe even have it on a tablet for people to see that come over to play it.

I just have to say that it is not just a good looking game, it's fun to play - especially once you understand a few things about it. If you try it out sometime, give it at least 10 plays before you make your judgement.

#13 8 months ago

They're live now.

#14 8 months ago

Tomorrow

Quoted from rubberducks:

They're live now.

#15 8 months ago

No - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/228768424

They had another shake out stream and pinball_keefer GC'd the machine with 2M.

Tomorrow they are live again 'officially'.

#16 8 months ago

Gameplay is looking like a lot of fun as are the rules with a very deep objective based ruleset.

The animation work is top notch as always from JJP, very impressive. During one mode I noticed a stop watch came down in the upper right hand corner, there's a lot of extra touches like this that occur on the LCD.

POTC1 (resized).JPG

Example of animations during On Stranger Tides multiball.

POTC2 (resized).JPG

#17 8 months ago

I got to watch a little of it today, the 6-multiball stack was pretty awesome to watch; and the display was even more impressive. Can’t wait to learn more about the game tomorrow.

#18 8 months ago

Ok, Im hooked. Watched about 20 min and was pissed i wasnt playing it. Luckily i get some time on it in 3 weeks. Cant wait, its looking good!

#19 8 months ago

I watched the playback stream three times and was not able to get in on the live chat. Exciting to know they are about 80% on code now. I cannot wait to add #53 to my game room.

I have a few questions...
1) What is the star field for? Is it purely for looks or is it integrated into play? I’m guessing it’s not since it’s not on the standard.
2) How far along is the code on the three spinning disks? And are all the characters done?
3) How will the camera be integrated? And has any progress been made on integrating it?
4) Can you ‘pirate’ balls from other players during a multi-player game?
5) Is ‘drunken pirate’ (flipped flippers) in?
6) Still looking good for a Q1 release?
7) As I understand, JJ has started to include Cliffy’s on all new DI releases (upping the standard again), is the same planned for POTC?

I’ll be watching this afternoon’s stream after I get home tonight. This has to be one of the most anticipated games of 2018 and I’m looking forward to more greatness from Eric and JJ down the road.

#20 8 months ago

15 minutes until the stream goes live. see you in there.

#21 8 months ago

Won't be able to watch it live, but will watch it when i can get time to do so! Excited to see more of this machine!

#22 8 months ago

Will be out with parents celebrating V-Day. Will for sure catch stream upon return.

Yo ho ho and bottles of rum to the JJP staff.

#23 8 months ago

Watching Keith, Joe and Eric playing the game was great. Keith set a GC score. The game has a lot going on and a real leap forward in programming. Sounds were great, code looks to be very deep and looks like a game that will never get boring. Looks like I'll have to kick one of my games out to make room. Nice Job Eric, a modern day pinball with Keith and crew coding.
(Edit: put some of that magic in TH)

#24 8 months ago

Where can we watch this now?

#26 8 months ago

that was great. can't wait for the next one.

#27 8 months ago

The game looks great. Shots are looking like fun. And I think the rules will be great. The only thing I don't like is that there are only animations for the start of a chapter and nothing if you end it and so you don't have the feeling that you have accomplished something. The animations that are in the game are awesome. But I like the way Stern did it with SW or JJP did it with the Hobbit better: every mode is a special step with an endgoal. As it is for now in PotC the starting animations of the chapters and MBs are meaningless nonsens or am I missing something? It looks like PotC will be a fun game for points with a lot of pirate flair but no epic adventure I hoped it would be and I don't get why they use chapters and a five movie structure for this than. But no matter what, it looks more and more as my next new game to purchase.

#28 8 months ago

I think seeing the designer and coders explain how to play the machine is awesome! I'd like to see more of this!

#29 8 months ago

I did not watch the whole stream but I enjoyed what I saw it seems like this game is shaping out pretty good and I am very excited to play one.

#30 8 months ago

will it be available later on youtube or somewhere. Completely missed it..AHHH!!!

#31 8 months ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

I think seeing the designer and coders explain how to play the machine is awesome! I'd like to see more of this!

Oh, I have a feeling there will be more...

#32 8 months ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

will it be available later on youtube or somewhere. Completely missed it..AHHH!!!

Here it is

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/229072823

#33 8 months ago

It does look good.

However, if I close my eyes, and if I didn't hear the "click" "clack" of the flippers -- I would truly not know this is a pinball machine other than the over-spoken, "jackpot" all over the place -- but honestly that could be a slot machine.

Yes, to me the pinnacle of sounds is Firepower with a subwoofer. I miss the days of having every collision and switch sound like I'm playing pinball, and there's some sort of futuristic laser war going on, that I'm somehow in control of.

-mof

21
#34 8 months ago

I think the game is magnificent. Keith, Eric, Joe, JP, and Crew really did their homework. The game has TONS of breadth. Lots of different dynamics in both scoring and progression. That's whats great about this type of integration versus strict story base telling in that it's not as linear based but rather open to many different ways to tackle the game - its brilliant. There's all sorts of strategies that can be utilized in this game

Here's a small breakdown of what I gathered of the rules from watching the stream - some of this may be inaccurate:

+ Display
> 5 movies from left to right on the display.
> top portion of the display are the chapters for each movie. (see screenshot below)
> Map portion of the display are the multiball mode progressions for each movie broken up in 5 areas also left to right. (See screenshot Below)
> Each movie seems to be color based both on the display and the skull inserts. Yellow = Movie 1, Green = Movie 2, Red = Movie 3, Blue = Movie 4, Purple = Movie 5
> Bottom right corner shows gold and progression for Tortuga MB. 50 gold qualifies Tortuga MB, 100 gold needed for the 2nd time. The more gold you have, the more Tortuga JP's are worth.
> Bottom Right corner above gold will also show your combo count
> Bottom Left corner will show active multiplier.

+ Chapters
> Hit one of the colored skull inserts to qualify a chapter for that movie. Colored skulls are color coded to the chapters, see above for color codes.
> For each Movie's chapter you qualify before starting the chapter, your scoring bonus is multiplied by X.5. For example, if you shoot the yellow skull and green skull you'll have movie 1 & 2 chapters qualified, and whichever of the 2 chapters is started you will have a 1.5X bonus scoring for those chapter shots. To start a Chapter, shoot the Chapter start shot which is just to the right of the chest. If you have more than 1 chapter qualified, the ball will bounce around the targets and randomly select one of the qualified movie chapters.
> In short, the reward for qualifying multiple chapters before starting a chapter is the scoring bonus; the drawback is that you don't get to select which chapter which could hinder your progression towards a specific wizard mode.
> Some characters make playing, qualifying, and completing chapters easier - but they have scoring penalties such as 1/2 scoring or .25X chapter scoring multipliers rather than .5X scoring multipliers

+ Multiball Modes (Might need a little help in these areas)
> Movie 1: Qualified by sinking the ship using the mini pf. Not sure what shot starts it - might be sinking another ship or just making the right ramp.
> Movie 2: Qualified by Locking balls in chest > Started by shooting chest.
> Movie 3: Qualified by collecting the nine piece of eight, which I believe is every major shot on the pf (I could be wrong on this). > start mb with left whirlpool
> Movie 4: Qualified by making looped shots with upper flipper > started with upper flipper loop shot.
> Movie 5: Not sure what qualifies this > start mb with left loop

+ Wizard Modes:
> Complete 5 chapters of one specific movie and play that movie's multiball to qualify it's Wizard mode.
> There are 5 wizard modes. 1 for each movie.
> Wizard mode scoring is based on how well you did during chapters and movie mb. So it can be quite risk/reward lucrative to qualify 3 or more chapters for higher scoring on your path to a wizard mode, but much riskier/harder.

+ GOLD
> Collect Gold to progress towards Tortuga mb.
> 50 gold qualifies Tortuga mb the first time. 100 gold the 2nd time.
> Amount of gold effects Tortuga jackpots.
> Treasure (little unsure of this rule): Make combos and/or loop shots with the upper flipper then hit the gold targets to spawn larger treasure which is worth more than 1 piece of gold.
> When gold spawns on the display, press action button to collect it. There are lots of call outs and lighting effects to indicate there's gold to be taken.

Bonus: All 6 multiball modes can be stacked on top of each other!

+Tortuga Mystery:
> Not sure what progresses the mystery level, I think its pop bumpers.
> Shoot tortuga for mystery.
> Each of the displayed mystery awards are completely random so each of the 5 awards have an equal chance of being chosen.

+ Pirate Lanes & Action Button (im probably way off on some of this, but here it goes):
> Complete Pirate lanes for rewards.
> Collect reward at the target just to the left of the left arrow next to the Chest. Indicated by blue circle insert.
> Select your Pirate lane award using the action button. The rewards are displayed on the apron.
> Example - use action button to highlight Super X; then complete all PIRATE Lanes, the cash in insert by chest will light for Super X, hit it to start Super X.
> PIRATE lane inserts are color coded depending on what award is selected or available.
> ARRRR Frenzy: Complete PIRATE lanes 3 times to qualify ARRRR Frenzy. Not sure what shot starts it unless it starts automatically. Takes 10 PIRATE lane progressions the 2nd time through.

+ Shot Multiplier
> Not sure what qualifies this yet but when its active it'll stack with any other multipliers that are valid and will be displayed on the bottom left corner of the display.

+ Playfield multiplier
> Not exactly sure on this rule yet, I think has to do with the stand up targets. There's probably inserts on the pf that I couldn't see either. But you can build up for a total of 5X pf multiplier.

Im sure I missed a bunch, but like I said...this was a 'small' overview of the rules from what I gathered. Game looks bitchin guys, nice work. Cant wait to play it in arcade expo CA in a few weeks.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 9.29.57 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 9.48.34 PM (resized).png

#35 8 months ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Really? Isn't that what I said?
Great write up Eskaybee? You are something else.

#36 8 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think the game is magnificent. Keith, Eric, Joe, JP, and Crew really did their homework. The game has TONS of breadth. Lots of different dynamics in both scoring and progression. That's whats great about this type of integration versus strict story base telling in that it's not as linear based but rather open to many different ways to tackle the game - its brilliant. There's all sorts of strategies that can be utilized in this game
Here's a small breakdown of what I gathered of the rules from watching the stream - some of this may be inaccurate:
+ Display
> 5 movies from left to right on the display.
> top portion of the display are the chapters for each movie. (see screenshot below)
> Map portion of the display are the multiball mode progressions for each movie broken up in 5 areas also left to right. (See screenshot Below)
> Each movie seems to be color based both on the display and the skull inserts. Yellow = Movie 1, Green = Movie 2, Red = Movie 3, Blue = Movie 4, Purple = Movie 5
> Bottom right corner shows gold and progression for Tortuga MB. 50 gold qualifies Tortuga MB, 100 gold needed for the 2nd time. The more gold you have, the more Tortuga JP's are worth.
> Bottom Right corner above gold will also show your combo count
> Bottom Left corner will show active multiplier.
+ Chapters
> Hit one of the colored skull inserts to qualify a chapter for that movie. Colored skulls are color coded to the chapters, see above for color codes.
> For each Movie's chapter you qualify before starting the chapter, your scoring bonus is multiplied by X.5. For example, if you shoot the yellow skull and green skull you'll have movie 1 & 2 chapters qualified, and whichever of the 2 chapters is started you will have a 1.5X bonus scoring for those chapter shots. To start a Chapter, shoot the Chapter start shot which is just to the right of the chest. If you have more than 1 chapter qualified, the ball will bounce around the targets and randomly select one of the qualified movie chapters.
> In short, the reward for qualifying multiple chapters before starting a chapter is the scoring bonus; the drawback is that you don't get to select which chapter which could hinder your progression towards a specific wizard mode.
> Some characters make playing, qualifying, and completing chapters easier - but they have scoring penalties such as 1/2 scoring or .25X chapter scoring multipliers rather than .5X scoring multipliers
+ Multiball Modes (Might need a little help in these areas)
> Movie 1: Qualified by sinking the ship using the mini pf. Not sure what shot starts it - might be sinking another ship or just making the right ramp.
> Movie 2: Qualified by Locking balls in chest > Started by shooting chest.
> Movie 3: Qualified by collecting the nine piece of eight, which I believe is every major shot on the pf (I could be wrong on this). > Not sure which shot starts the mb
> Movie 4: Qualified by making looped shots with upper flipper > started with upper flipper loop shot.
> Movie 5: Not sure what qualifies this > Left whirlpool shot starts it
+ Wizard Modes:
> Complete 5 chapters of one specific movie and play that movie's multiball to qualify it's Wizard mode.
> There are 5 wizard modes. 1 for each movie.
+ GOLD
> Collect Gold to progress towards Tortuga mb.
> 50 gold qualifies Tortuga mb the first time. 100 gold the 2nd time.
> Amount of gold effects Tortuga jackpots.
> Treasure (little unsure of this rule): Make combos and/or loop shots with the upper flipper then hit the gold targets to spawn larger treasure which is worth more than 1 piece of gold.
> When gold spawns on the display, press action button to collect it. There are lots of call outs and lighting effects to indicate there's gold to be taken.
Bonus: All 6 multiball modes can be stacked on top of each other!
+Tortuga Mystery:
> Not sure what progresses the mystery level, I think its pop bumpers.
> Shoot tortuga for mystery.
> Each of the displayed mystery awards are completely random so each of the 5 awards have an equal chance of being chosen.
+ Pirate Lanes & Action Button (im probably way off on some of this, but here it goes):
> Complete Pirate lanes for rewards.
> Collect reward at the target just to the left of the left arrow next to the Chest. Indicated by blue circle insert.
> Select your Pirate lane award using the action button. The rewards are displayed on the apron.
> Example - use action button to highlight Super X; then complete all PIRATE Lanes, the cash in insert by chest will light for Super X, hit it to start Super X.
> PIRATE lane inserts are color coded depending on what award is selected or available.
> ARRRR Frenzy: Complete PIRATE lanes 3 times to qualify ARRRR Frenzy. Not sure what shot starts it unless it starts automatically. Takes 10 PIRATE lane progressions the 2nd time through.
+ Shot Multiplier
> Not sure what qualifies this yet but when its active it'll stack with any other multipliers that are valid and will be displayed on the bottom left corner of the display.
+ Playfield multiplier
> Not exactly sure on this rule yet, I think has to do with the stand up targets. There's probably inserts on the pf that I couldn't see either. But you can build up for a total of 5X pf multiplier.
Im sure I missed a bunch, but like I said...this was a 'small' overview of the rules from what I gathered. Game looks bitchin guys, nice work. Cant wait to play it in arcade expo CA in a few weeks.

Whoa!!!! Very excited i jumped on this.....thanks for the killer post eskaybee!!!!!

#37 8 months ago

hogbog thanks for taking the time to do the stream, any way you guys can export from Twitch to Youtube for us? I have a nice lunch break here at work but Twitch is blocked but I can access Youtube and Pinside and would love to get to watch this while enjoying a wonderful high school cafeteria meal this afternoon. Thank you.

#38 8 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

hogbog thanks for taking the time to do the stream, any way you guys can export from Twitch to Youtube for us? I have a nice lunch break here at work but Twitch is blocked but I can access Youtube and Pinside and would love to get to watch this while enjoying a wonderful high school cafeteria meal this afternoon. Thank you.

It will happen soon. Stand by.

#39 8 months ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

It will happen soon. Stand by.

Awesome, thank you very much.

#40 8 months ago

Nice rule write up. Here’s one correction:
The whirlpool starts MB3 for movie 3, not 5.
Movie 5 MB is started by hitting the left loop, ‘devils triangle’.

#41 8 months ago

How in the hell do you figure that stuff out so fast? I've never read the rules on games, but need to as people say that's the only way to really understand the game.

I give credit to you (Eskaybee) and others that can understand the rules so quickly!

#42 8 months ago

Any info when games will be shipping?

#43 8 months ago

Nice...can't wait for the long version.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Here's a small breakdown

#45 8 months ago
Quoted from evh347:

Nice rule write up. Here’s one correction:
The whirlpool starts MB3 for movie 3, not 5.
Movie 5 MB is started by hitting the left loop, ‘devils triangle’.

Thanks! edited post to reflect. Also added another line on wizard modes for scoring.

Quoted from 3pinballs:

How in the hell do you figure that stuff out so fast? I've never read the rules on games, but need to as people say that's the only way to really understand the game.
I give credit to you (Eskaybee) and others that can understand the rules so quickly!

Hah! well, im a rules guy, but rules are the hardest thing to understand sometimes. A lot of games can look and play great but when you get it in your home you may realize the rules or code is not what you were expecting and end up not liking a pin because of it. So with that, if a game interests me i gotta dig in and find out if the rules are for me or not. Ive passed on a lot of good 'popular' games because the rules weren't to my liking - and vice versa passed on a lot of bad games not knowing the rules but later found them to be great rulesets and worth owning. And on the subject of JJPOTC; these rules are right up my alley! Love them. It's the price tag that i'll have to fight with on this one especially since wife and i want to buy a new house. Time will tell, but im due up for a new pin and the wife knows it

12
#46 8 months ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I give credit to you (Eskaybee) and others that can understand the rules so quickly!

Hopefully it also speaks to the fact that we're doing our job making them easier to understand!

There is a lot in the game, but we tried to make each piece as simple and understandable as we could. That way you will hopefully be able to learn it all pretty quickly then be mulling over all the possible strategy options that are available to you.

And hopefully there are multiple paths to success, not one or two "only ways to play the game." That's the real goal.

To some extent, you will HAVE to have multiple paths to success since in a multiplayer game you are not guaranteed to get your character of choice if someone beats you to it.

#47 8 months ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Hopefully it also speaks to the fact that we're doing our job making them easier to understand!
There is a lot in the game, but we tried to make each piece as simple and understandable as we could. That way you will hopefully be able to learn it all pretty quickly then be mulling over all the possible strategy options that are available to you.
And hopefully there are multiple paths to success, not one or two "only ways to play the game." That's the real goal.
To some extent, you will HAVE to have multiple paths to success since in a multiplayer game you are not guaranteed to get your character of choice if someone beats you to it.

That’s exactly it! Your tutorial was so easy to follow (for the most part) and joe doing the green highlights helped immensely cause the inserts are so hard to read on video. You guys nailed it with the stream IMO.

I can’t wait to see how the map rewards are implemented. For my 2 cents; id say to try and stray away from giving out the rewards like candy, make them earned - and try to keep it from being a stop n go reward. My 2 cents anyway.

#48 8 months ago

Wow! Props to jjp and the guys. It looks like it’s the only pin one would need.

#49 8 months ago

Great video.

#50 8 months ago

great stream!

Will you be doing a stream where you focus on the different modes?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
From: $ 185.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 18.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
From: $ 185.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
From: $ 185.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside