(Topic ID: 77100)

JJP: Jack Speaks **Updated to include equity partnership** (1/15/14)

By MrDo

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PEN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CHARLIE.jpg
idiots.jpg
dan-aykroyd-and-tommy-boy-gallery.jpg
3821.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#190 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Stern's production was running wide open when they were invested into, it's just no one was buying.

I call this false. Stern's factory in the last 2-3 years has been packed elbow to elbow with materials and people. From what I understand, the 2008-2010 era was a skeleton crew with large portions of the factory almost unused. They were I suppose 'wide open' except that 'wide open' on a skeleton crew and low cost games in 08 wasn't the same as now. Stern took/received investment at one of the darkest times in pinball. The reason people see this move differently with JJP is that JJP is giving up equity and taking funding in the most successful pinball market in almost 20 years.

Despite most of the overanalysis in here, the simplest reasons to take on an investor are: either JJP is out of cash and needs more, or they have some new goals or opportunities cooking that need cash and they don't want to wait for it.

MY hope is that this funding and investment is to take JJP to the next level and get a real competitor out there for Stern - faster delivery, more titles, new innovations, etc. What may have taken 3-5 years of organic growing pains might now be possible next year. Whether this is true or not, no one yet knows.

#195 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

If they had been in trouble, and for the record I'm not saying that they were, but generally investors don't float loans to companies that are about to go belly up.

Buying 'failing' companies happens all the time when there's real money to be made and the people or policies of a company are the roadblock. (not saying this is or is not JJP - just debating private equity here) The best deals I've seen in my days were intelligent hardworking investors buying a mismanaged or misdirected company with a great product or service who were struggling to properly make profit. Often having an idea or ambition doesn't mean one knows how to run a company and deal with people, deliveries, quality, customers, etc... That's were a lot of private equity shines imo - running a company regardless of the product or service offered.

Quoted from goatdan:

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
By wide open, I simply mean that Stern was manufacturing games to meet 100% of the demand. Which at the time, there was very little demand. They didn't take on the money to ramp up production

Great example of the above. Stern was bordering on closing down because there was no demand - why invest in a company about to close the doors? Because its cheap (buy in the downtime, sell high at the peak), and the group coming in had new ideas about how the games should be built and sold (and probably were willing to gamble on a market remaining) - strip the expense out, create LE hype, and we're at 8k+ Stern machines with a BOM smaller than TSPP

Again all speculation. I know nothing about JJP's position, but in my experience private equity loves struggling companies with good ideas and intentions because they can often find the exact causes of the problem.

#197 10 years ago

I have a question actually and maybe I missed the answer - why was this announced?

I mean, the ownership and finances of JJP have always been private, it's a private company, and really as far as the pinball world has been told, it seem to be 'business as usual' - so ultimately why does JJP want us to know this partnership exists at all?

#198 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Flipping isn't growth - it's simple return on your dollar. They could also be thrown something like 'Give me a million and I'll turn it into 1.5 in 12m'. 50% return in 12m? They aren't going to get that in the stock market.
My point being... looking for a ROI? Of course.. that's the whole purpose? Extrapolate that to mean 'growth opportunity'? Not necessarily.

Excellent point. Well put.

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

My entire point is that this confirms that JJP has a solid business plan.

It absolutely doesn't to me. That's my point - good product does not equal good business and in my experience with private equity, it's often the opposite - they come in and clean up a poor business plan and/or mismanagement surrounding a great product. Most of these people aren't interested in reinventing the wheel or fixing the product itself - they take what they know - running a business - and apply it.

My personal take on smaller private equity (because it's how I would evaluate a company for a quick ROI) would be to look for companies producing a great product that they can't keep on the shelves and yet can't quite make ends meet. It's a private investment goldmine because if you can remove the roadblocks (frankly its usually people or process related imo) the cash comes pretty easy - the hard part (engineering, inventory, setup manufacturing) is already done before you walk in.

Again take Stern - did private equity there suggest Stern had a solid business plan? No customers, no sales. Fast forward to today, the product is really no different (read all the complaints about the same problems over and over haha) yet the business is thriving because of the changes in management, marketing, licensing, and production. It was a new business plan for Stern, not a confirmation that their existing one was good.

Again, not necessarily true with JJP. We have no info.

#207 10 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Wow, after reading all this ... I think most of you should go back to playing or fixing pinballs. Or maybe write for the national enquirer! Never seen so much speculation based upon almost no detail.
Keep on flipping everyone

I like how when news comes out everyone criticizes debate and conversation around 'overanalyzing' it, and when there's no news everyone criticizes debate and conversation around the same old topics.

Cant discuss the new, or the old... why are we even here?

#213 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Seeing today's Hobbit video release helps me to understand the willingness of investors to jump on board. The prospects for that game appear outstanding.

Its shaping up very well so far. I have high hopes and will undoubtedly pick one up if it reaches the level of WoZ in terms of quality and theme integration.

That said, no pre-order will be coming from my pocket for any machine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 16.95
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 91.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-jack-speaks?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.