(Topic ID: 77100)

JJP: Jack Speaks **Updated to include equity partnership** (1/15/14)

By MrDo

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PEN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CHARLIE.jpg
idiots.jpg
dan-aykroyd-and-tommy-boy-gallery.jpg
3821.jpg

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 5 years ago

In that case, Jpop better hurry with those Magic Girl games

#202 5 years ago

Seems like night and day vs Stern. Stern had more capacity than demand, JJP seems to have very much the opposite.

My guess is presales stopped on TH and perhaps got overtaken by people asking for refunds.
This lack of cash flow may have led to them ordering parts cabinets Just In Time and then they got whacked with supply issues.
This may have also put into question the ability to get TH out in a timely manner.

*I* think JJP can sell every damn WoZ they can get out the door and likely all the TH's as well (I'm anxious to see/play that title myself). Ive seen precious few complaints when ppl GET the machine- its just he GETTING that's painful.

So, cash infusion to ramp up production, clear up supplier issues and allow them the breathing room to sell machines after their built - sounds plausible.

They may also see an advantage to getting TH out more quickly to stave off Stern catching up with a few of their own LCD machines....

All conjecture....

#203 5 years ago

I started reading this thread today and as someone in the printing business I can say that direct print then clearloating is much cheaper than decals that are laminated. It's simple Ink and clearcoat on board $< ink on vinyl then laminated or clearcoated. You are adding a material with decals but as it was said before it is cheaper for fixing than a new panel.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Buying 'failing' companies happens all the time when there's real money to be made and the people or policies of a company are the roadblock. (not saying this is or is not JJP - just debating private equity here) The best deals I've seen in my days were intelligent hardworking investors buying a mismanaged or misdirected company with a great product or service who were struggling to properly make profit. Often having an idea or ambition doesn't mean one knows how to run a company and deal with people, deliveries, quality, customers, etc... That's were a lot of private equity shines imo - running a company regardless of the product or service offered.

Well, right - and perhaps I put that incorrectly - I meant failing as in a business that was going to die no matter what. If you are an investor, and you are presented with an opportunity and you look at it and go, "Man, there is no way I can make money off this one." you aren't going to go into it. With any investment there is risk, but if you are sure it's going to fail you don't make the commitment.

My point, which I don't think we're arguing, just perhaps that I'm not overly clear about it, is that if this was some "Haha, Jack is going belly up, Stern's for everyone ONLY EVER HA!" situation, the investor would not have invested. Clearly, someone other than just Jack believes in Jack's business model.

Great example of the above. Stern was bordering on closing down because there was no demand - why invest in a company about to close the doors? Because its cheap (buy in the downtime, sell high at the peak), and the group coming in had new ideas about how the games should be built and sold (and probably were willing to gamble on a market remaining) - strip the expense out, create LE hype, and we're at 8k+ Stern machines with a BOM smaller than TSPP
Again all speculation. I know nothing about JJP's position, but in my experience private equity loves struggling companies with good ideas and intentions because they can often find the exact causes of the problem.

Right. But the idea behind the business is positive enough that there is a way to earn money on your investment so long as the company does what you believe that it can.

Again, my whole point is just that if the investors looked at JJP and said "wow, this thing is definitely going belly up!" they wouldn't have followed that with "How do we invest?" I have no idea if they were or were not having money issues, nor do I care to speculate. My entire point is that this confirms that JJP has a solid business plan.

#205 5 years ago

Wow, after reading all this ... I think most of you should go back to playing or fixing pinballs. Or maybe write for the national enquirer! Never seen so much speculation based upon almost no detail.

Keep on flipping everyone

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

My entire point is that this confirms that JJP has a solid business plan.

It absolutely doesn't to me. That's my point - good product does not equal good business and in my experience with private equity, it's often the opposite - they come in and clean up a poor business plan and/or mismanagement surrounding a great product. Most of these people aren't interested in reinventing the wheel or fixing the product itself - they take what they know - running a business - and apply it.

My personal take on smaller private equity (because it's how I would evaluate a company for a quick ROI) would be to look for companies producing a great product that they can't keep on the shelves and yet can't quite make ends meet. It's a private investment goldmine because if you can remove the roadblocks (frankly its usually people or process related imo) the cash comes pretty easy - the hard part (engineering, inventory, setup manufacturing) is already done before you walk in.

Again take Stern - did private equity there suggest Stern had a solid business plan? No customers, no sales. Fast forward to today, the product is really no different (read all the complaints about the same problems over and over haha) yet the business is thriving because of the changes in management, marketing, licensing, and production. It was a new business plan for Stern, not a confirmation that their existing one was good.

Again, not necessarily true with JJP. We have no info.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Wow, after reading all this ... I think most of you should go back to playing or fixing pinballs. Or maybe write for the national enquirer! Never seen so much speculation based upon almost no detail.
Keep on flipping everyone

I like how when news comes out everyone criticizes debate and conversation around 'overanalyzing' it, and when there's no news everyone criticizes debate and conversation around the same old topics.

Cant discuss the new, or the old... why are we even here?

#208 5 years ago

HOP is back LOL

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I see no reason for alarm, and quite frankly I think this is a hugely positive development. As I've said before, I get the wishing things happened quicker, but without going into a (more) giant post, if when you bought in you thought that they could get 1,000 LEs out the door on the same day or even in the same month, you would be crazy. It's taken time because every step of the way, Jack has done what is best for the game, and it shows to anyone who has seen it. He thought things would happen quicker, but he has been transparent about why not the entire time.

I agree with you that this is a huge positive development, as the alternative was failure.

I disagree about the transparency. The information was very controlled. People who have money on the line do not want to hear that there are problems. It could create panic.

I do wonder how very few seem to think there could ever be a chance of misrepresentation or failure. Being aware that it could happen is not the same as hoping it happens.

We saw pictures of proprietary JJP boards in 2011. We saw staged pictures of the factory as if production would soon begin. We heard everything is fine.

What I knew for certain while waiting for 2 years:

1. The delays were continuous.
2. JJP wanted more cash from us for the 2nd game before any of the first were delivered.
3. There were problems.

That's all the information I needed.

I'm happy that JJP has received a shot in the arm.

#210 5 years ago

Seeing today's Hobbit video release helps me to understand the willingness of investors to jump on board. The prospects for that game appear outstanding.

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Seeing today's Hobbit video release helps me to understand the willingness of investors to jump on board. The prospects for that game appear outstanding.

Yes, looks way better thatn WOZ, if it was out now, I would happily trade my WOZ for one. (if I had it that is)

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

I would happily trade my WOZ for one. (if I had it that is)

Only on Pinside can you trade a pin you don't have for one that doesn't exist.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Its shaping up very well so far. I have high hopes and will undoubtedly pick one up if it reaches the level of WoZ in terms of quality and theme integration.

That said, no pre-order will be coming from my pocket for any machine

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Only on Pinside can you trade a pin you don't have for one that doesn't exist.

Actually you can do it on RGP too, but there people can swear at you for doing it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside