Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

torpedo.jpg
batmandisguise.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

I have a friend whom is new into Pinball with WOZ being his 2nd machine.

Then your subject line is incorrect.

So I had to lift the playfield, which I did not want to do..."

If he's hesitant to raise a playfield, he shouldn't be buying the first game from a new manufacturer. Some of his concerns are no doubt legit, but he made the first mistake. Without seeing pics, I would say he either needs to work through the problems with JJP or sell the game.

#9 10 years ago

I didn't mean to upset you and if I broke the unofficial message board law, I sincerely apologize.

You could change it. Not a big deal, but it's wrong.

IMHO that is the most absurd statement I have ever heard in my entire life! I see not buying a used fix-er-upper. But a brand new game that cost $8k should actually WORK coorect? $8k new machines should be worry free for the first time pinball buyer. Selling broken machines at $8k a pop and limiting your market to tech wizards makes sense in what business model?

He bought a commercial pinball machine. Regular maintenance and repair is to be expected. Small out of box problems are to be expected. If he wants precision machinery, he should buy a Swiss watch or a German car.

The attitude that I spent this much, so it should work doesn't wash. Not with JJP and not with Stern. Expensive things break too. Do your homework before buying luxury items for your home.

#39 10 years ago

I am completely neutral here...

No, you're not. You lost all credibility when you claimed that in your original post, then took a side in a huge way with your first reply. Sorry I couldn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

He is a noobie and that isn't the point.

Yes, it is. A noob shouldn't buy the first game from a new manufacturer.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

WOZ was my first pin, and I had a ton of LED issues. Damn glad I did...it taught me to fix everything myself and now I dive under the PF of that machine as well as my LOTR to fix whatever needs fixing. Got me past my fear of getting my hands dirty and taught me a hell of a lot about pinball.
Works solid as a rock now, and fun as hell.

Good for you. Did you ever feel like you didn't want to raise the playfield? Or that you shouldn't need to raise the playfield?

Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Then Jack shouldn't have set the noob as his target market.

Jack is a salesman. He also said he'd never sell a game with unfinished software. So should we believe everything Jack says? Or should we just selectively choose which things he should be held accountable for?

When you're buying $7k+ toys for the home, it's up the buyer to do their homework. George Carlin once had some very wise words about the buyer being aware:

****CONTAINS NOT SAFE FOR WORK LANGUAGE*****

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

The above comment is the typical response a newbie can expect when it comes to seeking direction concerning a NIB WOZ. No direction, no real interest in helping, just a bunch of idiotic comments....yeah we give them so many reasons to join our love of the silverball.

Because of what I do in pinball, which includes playing on location regularly (over 40 years now), operating games, participating in a league, running a pin repair business, bringing games to shows and tournaments and competing in tournaments, I get asked my opinion a lot about games folks are thinking about buying for their first home game. Really, I get the question a lot. I don't mind though and I'm always willing to help if I can. The first thing I consider before making any suggestions is the technical ability of the person asking about the game. I ask them if they can solder and use a DMM. If they say no to both, I typically recommend only a new (or newish) Stern. Problems will still pop up on those, but not nearly as often as say a 20+ year old TZ.

In the case of the original poster's friend, I probably would've also recommended a new Stern. I wouldn't have stopped there though. I would've also pointed out that there are currently three OZ's on location nearby and probably offered to meet him at one of the places to play. This advise doesn't help my repair business btw. Am I doing it wrong?

Home buyers will never bring this hobby back to the prominence it once had. I'm out there recruiting new location players regularly. If you think you're doing more to promote the hobby than I am, I'd love to hear about it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-help-just-got-my-machine?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.