IMG_20210216_214127 (resized).jpg
E0CE7766-147C-4A17-960E-687AFDDC4822 (resized).png
IMG_20210214_234917 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210214_234824 (resized).jpg
57EEFE24-F36F-4DA0-BE90-06044CB7A31D (resized).png
A87E1BDB-397C-49C6-89C8-13DCCFE12C65 (resized).jpeg
F5047F9E-53F6-4F1D-87D3-5E43BEEACD80 (resized).jpeg
46348996-5E6E-488D-B1EA-200793A001C4 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Serious question.
Why do JJP games play so much slower than Stern?
Is it that they target an older demographic?
Just curious, as Stern have gone for the faster option.

First and foremost, JJP needs to re-evaluate their factory flipper setup. It stinks; every location JJP I’ve played, leaves me turned off. But, having owned a JJP, I have different opinions on their flippers and strength.

Two things I’ve observed from owning GNR compared to my sterns.

TLDR: The car analogy difference of all this is a stern has 2 speeds, go and no go, where GNR/JJP is like a stick shift with manual speeds.

1 - rubbers, the way the ball moves:

Sterns tend to have a ‘dead bounce’ design to their games. anything the ball hits, can and will stop the momentum nearly on a dime and send the ball downwards towards the flippers. Pretty much because they use black rubber or posts. That design choice leads to longer lasting, less maintenance for location (and home) use.

GNR uses way different rubber that sends the ball side to side, up, down, and all around. I wouldn’t consider it more floaty because of this, but it is more bouncy which can make it pretty brutal at times honestly.

2 - Flippers and sling shots:

Sterns flippers are like stiff toothpicks. They whack the ball in a much more binary fashion and the ball travels in that one direction at an extremely quick velocity because of it. Their sling shots are like arrows, the ball just flies off them til hit hits a black rubber or post and dead bounces.

GNR is much more elegant. Their flippers are more analog like; they are definitely not as snappy, and require a bit more precise and accurate shooting whereas a stern forces the ball to go places. Their sling shots are more traditional and don’t rocket the ball as hard as it possibly can.

I think the sex analogy difference of all this would be a guy and girl pumping as hard and fast as they can til they’re done; i.e. Stern. Or making love down by the fireplace; i.e. JJP.

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

What kind of sex are the other pinball companies having?
Your analogy is awesome!

Hahaha, alright I’ll give it a shot:

• EM: is like 2 stoners having sex. Sometimes they forget they’re having sex but they’re having fun and laughing hysterically so it doesn’t matter.

• solid state: the menaja twa. Everyone jump in and have fun.

• 90s DMD: this is the middle ground of both sterns (pump and dump) and JJP (love down by the fire). i.e. something for everyone.

• early 2000s: sterns early attempt at pump and dump except with a lot more cocaine and a lot less teeth.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Every time I go to play GNR I think “ok here we go let’s let’r rip!”
Then I forget it has that limp dicked plunger set up and the ball trickles out like you did something wrong right into the spongey flippers. But as soon as you hit it up into play .... BAM... multiball
I don’t get it.

That’s kinda the problem. Stern has trained us that it’s either 0 or 100, no middle ground. GNR scales it back to a classic feel with a modern twist. It’s an entirely different kind of Adrenalin rush. One type of Adrenalin isn’t better than the other. Pick your poison and enjoy.

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What about Deep Root?

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

My preference is to pay less for a higher quality pin. See the remakes, and American Pinball, and Bally/Williams, and Stern SAM pins.
P.s. JJP has made some cool pins, but I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to what makes them "higher quality". Other than bigger tv, and costs more, I can't think of any metric where they are #1.

Quoted from screaminr:

You can argue about , better Shots , Fun games , Snappy flippers .
But JJP do put more effort into their cabinets , coding and hardware .
Jjp have full length tubular service rails , not little pegs to hold the play field up , they have quality wood in the base of the cabinets , not chipboard , Batman SLE didn't even have corner brackets , they have a headphone jack input , they don't try to save a few bucks on wiring and put the on off switch in the back box . AIQ LE has about 16 RGB' S , GNR has 350 RGB's .
When you open the back box on a new Stern you lay the LCD on the Playfield , with GNR it has a quality metal arm which swings out . They all have a second LCD screen .
Jjp have the best animations by far thanks to JP DeWin . Joe Katz spent 80 hours coding the lights for one song on GNR . Not to mention internet connectivity and Bluetooth and free ScoreBit for life .
I'm sure there's other stuff I'm missing .
I'm not saying Stern doesn't make fun games but jjp puts more into their games and you pay for it .

Quick fact check; stern LCDs don’t lay on the playfield. It has metal chains that drop down like a trap door so to speak. It’s pretty nifty.

That said, having owned many sterns, a WOZ in the past, and now GNR. The biggest quality difference is the playfield wood; it’s just much more ‘meatier’ feeling than a stern. JJP does also pay much more attention to detail than stern by a long shot. However, where stern wins this ‘quality’ argument is that their games require less maintenance, and are less prone to breaking. That quality is unmatched from any other manufacturer IMO.

#235 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Hmm.. what about the issues with the subway on Avengers , the diverter on Turtles , the Demi Gorgon and ESP lock on Stranger Things , the T-Rex on JP , the house in Elvira . Stern has as many issues as any other manufacturer . IMO

Great points screaminr !! And Very fair to mention that. I have no real rebuttal lol. I just know it took me extensive amount of time dialing in GNR; we’re talking weeks. But, I did spend even more time on getting DP dialed in. And spent a good fair amount of time on the T-Rex in JP.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Concord, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-has-proven-themselves-better-than-stern?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.