IMG_20210216_214127 (resized).jpg
E0CE7766-147C-4A17-960E-687AFDDC4822 (resized).png
IMG_20210214_234917 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210214_234824 (resized).jpg
57EEFE24-F36F-4DA0-BE90-06044CB7A31D (resized).png
A87E1BDB-397C-49C6-89C8-13DCCFE12C65 (resized).jpeg
F5047F9E-53F6-4F1D-87D3-5E43BEEACD80 (resized).jpeg
46348996-5E6E-488D-B1EA-200793A001C4 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Navystan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Let me chime in because I’m a HUGE JJP fan. So I will agree but disagree. Depending on how you measure success no pinball company is better than Stern. Stern manufactures their games faster, they release more titles, and at the end of the day no one can make more pinballs in a day than Stern. Oh and not to mention no one makes more money. Stern is the king and probably will be for some time to come.
Now on the other hand if you want to say who makes the best overall games, well its JJP by 100 miles. It’s not even fair to compare a Stern LE vs JJP LE much less a JJP CE. When even the biggest Stern fan says something like ‘yeah well I wish JJP would have done Star Wars’ you know they know. Everyone wants their DREAM THEME done by JJP and I mean everyone. Why? Because they want their dream theme to have a themed world under glass to go with an amazing pinball design.
Here is where it gets interesting and why Stern should start to put more effort into their games. No pinball company has pushed Stern to move the needle NOT JJP not anyone because Stern releases more games in a calendar year than all other suppliers combined. NO other pinball company has the network of distributors like Stern. Lastly most suppliers have shown no ability to compete with Stern on volume of games.
But hold the phone because it appears at least me that JJP is way past the teething phase and seems to moving into a new direction. JJP has entered the music pin business, JJP is poised to release a second game within a twelve month period. JJP has moved into a bigger facility and to Chicago where there is more pinball talent than New Jersey.
Last but not least JJP has the hottest designer in pinball... Eric has shown both the he ability to do layouts and theming something many Stern designers struggle with. JJP also has maybe the best overall pinball designer in history MR Adams Family/Twilight Zone himself Pat Lawlor. JJP is on the move that’s for sure but Stern will continue to be the leader in sales but who knows JJP might just catch them.
One more note if American Pinball to Pinball Brothers and all these other companies start making more games people want to buy, that combined with JJP skyrocketing that could pinch Stern by giving buyers more options more often.
Stern should get really serious about upping the game. So as of today I agree but don’t agree. But to your point yes JJP games seem to hold their value better than Stern and or raise in value by a lot more than a stern.

I think your assessment is pretty darn accurate. Like any business, you have to define what success is. Is it sales? is it the overall quality of the pin? For instance, look how Apple competed with Microsoft. Apple didn't go for pure volume and sales. It had a vision remain laser focused on quality and limited offerings. Now, Apple is still focused on quality and is slowly creeping up in volume (I'm not talking about phones).

I'm a big JJP fan as well, and always have been. My personal preference is to pay a premium for a higher quality pin vs. a less quality pin. Again, nothing wrong with someone else who's priority is greater "value" meaning a pin a relatively lower cost point and respectable quality.

So, different is good for all us and competition is definitely good for all of us.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

12,060 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Wanted
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Long Beach, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Navystan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-has-proven-themselves-better-than-stern?tu=Navystan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.