IMG_20210216_214127 (resized).jpg
E0CE7766-147C-4A17-960E-687AFDDC4822 (resized).png
IMG_20210214_234917 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210214_234824 (resized).jpg
57EEFE24-F36F-4DA0-BE90-06044CB7A31D (resized).png
A87E1BDB-397C-49C6-89C8-13DCCFE12C65 (resized).jpeg
F5047F9E-53F6-4F1D-87D3-5E43BEEACD80 (resized).jpeg
46348996-5E6E-488D-B1EA-200793A001C4 (resized).png

There are 276 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Our banter is finished!
Enjoy your Applebee's! I plan on lunching on waygu beef, or perhaps peking duck!
The restaurant closures really haven't been a bad thing, for me at least. I'm down over 40 pounds bro!!!

Ok ok Levi you’ve convinced us all of your wonderful lifestyle your living.All know speaking for myself I couldn’t be happier for you.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Ok ok Levi you’ve convinced us all of your wonderful lifestyle your living.All know speaking for myself I couldn’t be happier for you.

Thanks man! I knew we could bro this out.

Tell Lloyd Winnecke I say hi!

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

For my tastes I’d rather have an SE vs an LE. It’s a different game than the LE, faster more flow, less stop and go. It’s what I want in a music pin. Tracking an upper playfield and a third flipper in such a multiball heavy game is more than my brain can process. The SE gives me the GnR experience in a game I actually enjoy shooting. Plus I paid $6850 delivered for my se....
In terms of how it compares to sw? Totally different games but they both feel like complete experiences to me. I do think the SE feels like a game on the level of SW premium from a “what you get” standpoint even tho there are almost zero toys.

Which would you keep if you had to choose, SWpre or GnR SE? Ive considered a GnR SE since im not a fan of upper playfields slowing ball down and im worried about gameplay overall since i like faster ball speeds and the snappy way Sterns feel.

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Using Star Wars as an example of a game that we would have been better with JJP making is so wrong if you actually spend time with a premium. The game is set in space... it has a light up millenium falcon, an exploding tie fighter, an interactive second screen, an exploding Death Star with a fork jump ramp, and a freaking hyperloop that can spin 3 balls around the play field... it has the full original score plus 400 movie clips and tons of movie call outs... (compare that to wonka)... the Ritchie layout is lightning fast and smooth as spreadable butter, it literally feels like you’re in an x-wing shooting lasers... it’s a freaking masterpiece game

But does it make you feel like you're deploying your harpoon and tow cable? Hmmm? Hmm?

I didn't think so.

#155 3 years ago

Yeah, but have they haven't reach a 65k TZ or 80k Supreme level yet!!

#156 3 years ago

As much as I love jjp for how WOZ helped to push the industry forward, honestly I have found it hard to get overly impressed by their other titles. Though I never got a chance to play potc which everyone raves about. Dialed in is probably the one I am most likely to buy if I did buy one. I really loved gnr... but I dislike the band, so...

#157 3 years ago

Serious question.

Why do JJP games play so much slower than Stern?

Is it that they target an older demographic?

Just curious, as Stern have gone for the faster option.

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Serious question.

They tend to be widebodies so that slows things down.

They seem to ship with flipper power way too low, so games get set up not so steep...it's a vicious cycle. I wonder why they do that. More reliable? Less likely to break things?

Crank up the flipper power and set the games up steep and they'll play faster.

Stern games just seem to have tighter, faster layouts with powerful flippers, out of the box.

#159 3 years ago

Hard to really compare Stern to JJP. Stern pumps out thousands of games a year, and has great designers. My only rub on them is sometimes it takes months if not years for them to finish the code on the games. Their model is get them out in the wild and fine tune over time. JJP has great designers as well, but puts out 1 game every year (or more), and clearly put more into their games and code, but its those upgrades are reflected in JJP's pricing model.

#160 3 years ago

Serious question.

WW isn't any slower than all the Sterns I own, but its standard body layout .....

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Which would you keep if you had to choose, SWpre or GnR SE? Ive considered a GnR SE since im not a fan of upper playfields slowing ball down and im worried about gameplay overall since i like faster ball speeds and the snappy way Sterns feel.

I would keep Star Wars

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Have fun at Fuddruckers!

C'mon man. Their fries are beefy and stellar!

You sound so hoity toity. Are taters beneath you?!?!?!

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

C'mon man. Their fries are beefy and stellar!
You sound so hoity toity. Are taters beneath you?!?!?!

I'm not beneath Americana slop, that's for sure, it's just at home I have a billion better options.

Chili's is my "fast casual" go-to of choice on the road, if I can't find a Cracker Barrel. Yeah that babyback jingle got to me, and it's pretty sick treating my babe to a 4-course meal for about $15 on the way to pick up a Target Alpha.

Hey I didn't start it! Romulus been unleashing unprovoked trashing of NYC and our beloved mayor for months. I had no choice but to point out his restaurant options are one step above cafeteria food in his neck of the woods!

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Hard to really compare Stern to JJP. Stern pumps out thousands of games a year, and has great designers. My only rub on them is sometimes it takes months if not years for them to finish the code on the games. Their model is get them out in the wild and fine tune over time. JJP has great designers as well, but puts out 1 game every year (or more), and clearly put more into their games and code, but its those upgrades are reflected in JJP's pricing model.

Can you name a JJP game that is Code complete Or not in process for over 3 years? Unless you mean JJP as Rub then disregard.

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Can you name a JJP game that is Code complete Or not in process for over 3 years? Unless you mean JJP as Rub then disregard.

No, but typically in my experience their code is far more developed at launch, and they do a pretty good job of working out the kinks pretty early on. You could wait years for Stern (although not always).

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not beneath Americana slop, that's for sure, it's just at home I have a billion better options.
Chili's is my "fast casual" go-to of choice on the road, if I can't find a Cracker Barrel. Yeah that babyback jingle got to me, and it's pretty sick treating my babe to a 4-course meal for about $15 on the way to pick up a Target Alpha.
Hey I didn't start it! Romulus been unleashing unprovoked trashing of NYC and our beloved mayor for months. I had no choice but to point out his restaurant options are one step above cafeteria food in his neck of the woods!

I’ve been done with NY De Blasio and you for months.I thought I would leave you to your own demise.As for as food goes I actually don’t eat out except for a little place locally owned called Nellie’s.
I challenge anyone to find a better breakfast lunch location!
Most of my meals are done on a Weber kettle and. Blackstone for Chinese Mexican and hoagies

10CE6086-3FE7-4D7A-961E-0F7350F375B1 (resized).jpeg10CE6086-3FE7-4D7A-961E-0F7350F375B1 (resized).jpegB5F8A7DC-0C44-409A-B0D9-741EF741A198 (resized).jpegB5F8A7DC-0C44-409A-B0D9-741EF741A198 (resized).jpegFA9B5009-D917-4F65-A602-E17D276DB91F (resized).jpegFA9B5009-D917-4F65-A602-E17D276DB91F (resized).jpeg
#167 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Most of my meals are done on a Weber kettle and. Blackstone for Chinese Mexican and hoagies
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks fuckin good man!!

Wow those wings look amazing.

DeBlasio?

How about DE-licious!!!!!

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’ve been done with NY De Blasio and you for months.I thought I would leave you to your own demise.As for as food goes I actually don’t eat out except for a little place locally owned called Nellie’s.

Romulick'n good!

rom (resized).jpgrom (resized).jpg

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That looks fuckin good man!!
Wow those wings look amazing.
DeBlasio?
How about DE-licious!!!!!

GFS Jumbo wings 5# $14.85
McCormicks smokehouse maple
2 small chunks of hickory
Grilled on Weber Kettle with a Vortex
Approximately 38 pieces

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

GFS Jumbo wings 5# $14.85
McCormicks smokehouse maple
2 small chunks of hickory
Grilled on Weber Kettle with a Vortex
Approximately 38 pieces

Far more educational than this stupid thread!

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The Blackstones are great, I use it more than my grill nowadays.

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

The Blackstones are great, I use it more than my grill nowadays.

I still use the kettle like today for 11/4” pork chops.But when spring comes steak and cheese with toasted hoagies

#173 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I still use the kettle like today for 11/4” pork chops.But when spring comes steak and cheese with toasted hoagies

We may disagree here on occasion but as a lifelong Weber kettle guy, cheers! The only thing better than a a Weber kettle grill is TWO Weber kettle grills. And that JJP CE brass kettle you have is absolutely kick ass and I want one now.

#174 3 years ago

Who knew it was delicous fuggin wings that would lower the temperature!!!

Ironic...as that looks like some spicy yardbird!!!!!

#175 3 years ago

Finally played gnr....feels boaty and has no good shots. Something feels off about it. Its like a cross between a pokie machine and guitar hero!

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from adamsebas:

Finally played gnr....feels boaty and has no good shots. Something feels off about it. Its like a cross between a pokie machine and guitar hero!

Where did you play it?

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from adamsebas:

I played it a few weeks ago, a fresh out of the box CE. Gorgeous!

It was fun really fun I dug it. After a half dozen (mostly long) games on it, the flippers were tired and I was having trouble making the right ramp. Game was set up steep, which I liked, but the flipper power needed to be raised. At that point I gave up and started playing the AIQLE next to it (which I'd also never played).

The default settings on JJP games are always like this, I don't get it. Stern flippers are pulverizers out of the box and the games don't fall apart because of it.

#178 3 years ago

Serious question.

First and foremost, JJP needs to re-evaluate their factory flipper setup. It stinks; every location JJP I’ve played, leaves me turned off. But, having owned a JJP, I have different opinions on their flippers and strength.

Two things I’ve observed from owning GNR compared to my sterns.

TLDR: The car analogy difference of all this is a stern has 2 speeds, go and no go, where GNR/JJP is like a stick shift with manual speeds.

1 - rubbers, the way the ball moves:

Sterns tend to have a ‘dead bounce’ design to their games. anything the ball hits, can and will stop the momentum nearly on a dime and send the ball downwards towards the flippers. Pretty much because they use black rubber or posts. That design choice leads to longer lasting, less maintenance for location (and home) use.

GNR uses way different rubber that sends the ball side to side, up, down, and all around. I wouldn’t consider it more floaty because of this, but it is more bouncy which can make it pretty brutal at times honestly.

2 - Flippers and sling shots:

Sterns flippers are like stiff toothpicks. They whack the ball in a much more binary fashion and the ball travels in that one direction at an extremely quick velocity because of it. Their sling shots are like arrows, the ball just flies off them til hit hits a black rubber or post and dead bounces.

GNR is much more elegant. Their flippers are more analog like; they are definitely not as snappy, and require a bit more precise and accurate shooting whereas a stern forces the ball to go places. Their sling shots are more traditional and don’t rocket the ball as hard as it possibly can.

I think the sex analogy difference of all this would be a guy and girl pumping as hard and fast as they can til they’re done; i.e. Stern. Or making love down by the fireplace; i.e. JJP.

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

We may disagree here on occasion but as a lifelong Weber kettle guy, cheers! The only thing better than a a Weber kettle grill is TWO Weber kettle grills. And that JJP CE brass kettle you have is absolutely kick ass and I want one now.

I have three copper tops.I also have the 1998 red Performer and a black kettle just for pizza’s

46348996-5E6E-488D-B1EA-200793A001C4 (resized).png46348996-5E6E-488D-B1EA-200793A001C4 (resized).png
#180 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think the sex analogy difference of all this would be a guy and girl pumping as hard and fast as they can til they’re done; i.e. Stern. Or making love down by the fireplace; i.e. JJP.

What kind of sex are the other pinball companies having?

Your analogy is awesome!

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

What kind of sex are the other pinball companies having?
Your analogy is awesome!

Hahaha, alright I’ll give it a shot:

• EM: is like 2 stoners having sex. Sometimes they forget they’re having sex but they’re having fun and laughing hysterically so it doesn’t matter.

• solid state: the menaja twa. Everyone jump in and have fun.

• 90s DMD: this is the middle ground of both sterns (pump and dump) and JJP (love down by the fire). i.e. something for everyone.

• early 2000s: sterns early attempt at pump and dump except with a lot more cocaine and a lot less teeth.

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hahaha, alright I’ll give it a shot:
• EM: is like 2 stoners having sex. Sometimes they forget they’re having sex but they’re having fun and laughing hysterically so it doesn’t matter.
• solid state: the menaja twa. Everyone jump in and have fun.
• 90s DMD: this is the middle ground of both sterns (pump and dump) and JJP (love down by the fire). i.e. something for everyone.
• early 2000s: sterns early attempt at pump and dump except with a lot more cocaine and a lot less teeth.

What about Deep Root?

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What about Deep Root?

Still to young to know what it means maybe?

Or maybe single and too busy with trying to start a career.

#184 3 years ago

Every time I go to play GNR I think “ok here we go let’s let’r rip!”
Then I forget it has that limp dicked plunger set up and the ball trickles out like you did something wrong right into the spongey flippers. But as soon as you hit it up into play .... BAM... multiball
I don’t get it.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Then I forget it has that limp dicked plunger set up and the ball trickles out like you did something wrong right into the spongey flippers. But as soon as you hit it up into play .... BAM... multiball
I don’t get it.

Thank you for your in depth honest reveiw.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I don’t get it.

That’s kinda the problem. Stern has trained us that it’s either 0 or 100, no middle ground. GNR scales it back to a classic feel with a modern twist. It’s an entirely different kind of Adrenalin rush. One type of Adrenalin isn’t better than the other. Pick your poison and enjoy.

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What about Deep Root?

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What about Deep Root?

Neighborhood meth cooker breaking in steals your hamster and washes your dishes.

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Neighborhood meth cooker breaking in steals your hamster and washes your dishes.

That’s oddly specific haha

#190 3 years ago

Serious question.

Yes. Many of the old guys around here can't handle the speed. I mean Romulick JJ balls actually thinks Wonka is a fast playing pin. But hey we all get old, theres no shame in that.

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It’s an entirely different kind of Adrenalin rush.

Yeah its a good rush if u live in a retirement home.

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Ya this dude can cook... he posts in the covid cooking thread.

GNR is still just a good game getting way overhyped tho.

#193 3 years ago

Still enjoy my Stern Dracula I restored lol.

A87E1BDB-397C-49C6-89C8-13DCCFE12C65 (resized).jpegA87E1BDB-397C-49C6-89C8-13DCCFE12C65 (resized).jpegF5047F9E-53F6-4F1D-87D3-5E43BEEACD80 (resized).jpegF5047F9E-53F6-4F1D-87D3-5E43BEEACD80 (resized).jpeg
#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

you’re getting your info but Rob Zombie has sold over 15 million

Ahhh what are you talking about? Rob Zombie hasn’t sold no 15 million albums not in this lifetime or any other. He’s only got one big album and that’s it and we’re talking big for him nothing on the level of GNR. Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper play smaller venues and can’t sell the out while GNR plays stadiums to tens of thousands. Get your facts straight.

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Ahhh what are you talking about? Rob Zombie hasn’t sold no 15 million albums not in this lifetime or any other. He’s only got one big album and that’s it and we’re talking big for him nothing on the level of GNR. Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper play smaller venues and can’t sell the out while GNR plays stadiums to tens of thousands. Get your facts straight.

57EEFE24-F36F-4DA0-BE90-06044CB7A31D (resized).png57EEFE24-F36F-4DA0-BE90-06044CB7A31D (resized).png
#196 3 years ago
Quoted from adamsebas:

That's funny the game I played , played fast and had great shots . I get the Guitar Hero bit but that was a hugely popular game , which I enjoyed , so I'm cool with that .
Don't forget the other modes like " do you want to play a game " and "carnage " . I haven't seen The Wizard mode yet because I don't want to spoil it .
Sorry for going off topic in this food thread

IMG_20210214_234824 (resized).jpgIMG_20210214_234824 (resized).jpgIMG_20210214_234917 (resized).jpgIMG_20210214_234917 (resized).jpg
#197 3 years ago

You also can't really compare todays artist sales to the 80's and earlier. Album sales have been on the decline since the invention of the mp3.

What you could say is that GnR's sales were bigger simply based on # of albums released. RZ has put out more albums than GnR, but again the time frame works against RZ simply because of the shift in technology and marketing of the internet.

#198 3 years ago

Rob Zombie has one album (his first) that sold about 3 million copies, then his follow up did about 2 million and from there all of his albums sold about 50,000 to 200,000. Where do you come up with 15 million? At most he’s around 6 or 7 million. I’m not saying that isn’t a major accomplishment but Gun N Roses had over 35 million in one album. We’re talking about the comment that someone said Spooky has better themes than JJP which is a joke.

Rob Zombie can’t sell out a 5000 seat arena. He’s come to St Louis before and played a 2000 seat gig. Him and Alice Cooper toured together recently played a 20k outdoor building and sold about 7500 tickets COMBINED. Guns N Roses goes to South America and plays in front of over 100,000 people. You can’t compare Rob Zombie to GNR not even close.

These are just facts. When we talk about bands that would make better themes for a pinball we could make a list 20 pages long of bands more worthy than Rob Zombie or Alice Cooper. With that being said I get it Spooky has to go with what they can afford or acquire. In the end it worked out for them so it doesn’t matter. With all that being said no matter how good the pin is I can never see Alice Cooper and even Rob Zombie combined ever selling 3000 pins in 5 lifetimes.

Spooky hit a home run with Rick and Morty great theme lets see where that takes them into the future. TO me Rob Zombie or Alice Cooper are starter themes niche themes to get on the board. Guns N Roses is like a major league MVP of rock n roll. There are many more to be had... Nirvana, Queen just bands that have sold 100 million records.

#199 3 years ago

I think Spooky makes the games that they want to make. That’s the advantage of being a Bootique company. You aren’t worried about the biggest appeal because your goal isn’t to make thousands of games. So they did Alice Cooper and RZ because they WANTED to. Niche themes are good for pinball otherwise it’s just all blockbuster movies and dad rock.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Rob Zombie has one album (his first) that sold about 3 million copies, then his follow up did about 2 million and from there all of his albums sold about 50,000 to 200,000. Where do you come up with 15 million? At most he’s around 6 or 7 million. I’m not saying that isn’t a major accomplishment but Gun N Roses had over 35 million in one album. We’re talking about the comment that someone said Spooky has better themes than JJP which is a joke.
Rob Zombie can’t sell out a 5000 seat arena. He’s come to St Louis before and played a 2000 seat gig. Him and Alice Cooper toured together recently played a 20k outdoor building and sold about 7500 tickets COMBINED. Guns N Roses goes to South America and plays in front of over 100,000 people. You can’t compare Rob Zombie to GNR not even close.
These are just facts. When we talk about bands that would make better themes for a pinball we could make a list 20 pages long of bands more worthy than Rob Zombie or Alice Cooper. With that being said I get it Spooky has to go with what they can afford or acquire. In the end it worked out for them so it doesn’t matter. With all that being said no matter how good the pin is I can never see Alice Cooper and even Rob Zombie combined ever selling 3000 pins in 5 lifetimes.
Spooky hit a home run with Rick and Morty great theme lets see where that takes them into the future. TO me Rob Zombie or Alice Cooper are starter themes niche themes to get on the board. Guns N Roses is like a major league MVP of rock n roll. There are many more to be had... Nirvana, Queen just bands that have sold 100 million records.

E0CE7766-147C-4A17-960E-687AFDDC4822 (resized).pngE0CE7766-147C-4A17-960E-687AFDDC4822 (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts
Hardware
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 276 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-has-proven-themselves-better-than-stern/page/4?hl=beergut666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.