Topic poll

“Iron Maiden vs GnR”

• Maiden 12 votes
    38%
  • GnR 20 votes
    63%

(32 votes)

#1 3 years ago

I know there’s already lots of threads on here that go on and on and sidetracked so forgive me for wanting to just start a new post.

I got my GnR LE 2 days ago. My first impression has been kinda meh about it. I think the lights coinciding with the songs are amazing but game play I’m not terribly impressed. I also haven’t quite figured out what I’m really trying to accomplish yet so maybe my opinion will change. Also kinda disappointed there was no official booklet. I always liked having that book for quick reference and detailed game play instructions. I downloaded the pdf online and really just a brief one page overview of the objectives. Am I missing something?

At this point I like my Stern Iron Maiden premium better. And I am a HUGE GNR fan. Not so much a maiden fan. So that says a lot. I hope I like it better. If anyone has a reference to a more detailed gameplay objective that would be appreciated.

I don’t know. I think I just expected a little more from a $10k LE game. Also need to sell my Delta GnR if anyone in central TX area is interested. Or maybe just sell this one.

I guess the point of this post (rant) is please change my mind on why I should love this game!!!

Oh. One last thing. Has anyone else had their play field glass seem too long? Mine looks like it is cut about a half inch too long. I really have to jam the end piece down and the button on it is actually not entirely clearing the glass.

#2 3 years ago

I have not played GNR yet, but Iron Maiden is a great playing game.

#3 3 years ago

Watch the Youtube video from IE Pinball. Will help you understand how to progress through the modes and how to score big on this machine.

#4 3 years ago

I have had my GnR for about a month. I feel like I am just getting the hang of it. I've had my Iron Maiden since April and was getting deeper into the rules and having more really good games when the GnR arrived. The Iron Maiden worked perfect out of the box. Other than tightening a couple screws, it's been a great first pinball machine owner experience. My only real trouble with the GnR is that I had to replace the rubber after it started falling apart very quickly.

At first the game play on the GnR was just trying not to drain the ball and trying to play songs that I like. Now that I am getting the hang of it, I have a lot more control of what's happening and I am figuring out what I need to do. I think that at the beginning it was just stimulus over load. It was still fun, but now it is much more fun. It's been awhile since I turned my Iron Maiden machine on. Alothough I love the new call outs and animlations with the update, I decided to focus on learning the new machine.

I decided not to do any more research on learning the GnR rules and game play because I am enjoying the surprises as new things are revealed.

As I get more familiar with the game, I am beginning to have a similar level of control and flow that I have on the Maiden machine. The color clues, call outs, and small screen are all coming together. I think that it started to click for me when I stopped choosing my favorite songs and started playing the other songs. Some of those have easier rules to learn. As you get better at it, the randomness and chaos goes away and it gets more fun.

No issues with my glass, but it was snug at first to get it all the way up.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Austiniv:

I know there’s already lots of threads on here that go on and on and sidetracked so forgive me for wanting to just start a new post.
I got my GnR LE 2 days ago. My first impression has been kinda meh about it. I think the lights coinciding with the songs are amazing but game play I’m not terribly impressed. I also haven’t quite figured out what I’m really trying to accomplish yet so maybe my opinion will change. Also kinda disappointed there was no official booklet. I always liked having that book for quick reference and detailed game play instructions. I downloaded the pdf online and really just a brief one page overview of the objectives. Am I missing something?
At this point I like my Stern Iron Maiden premium better. And I am a HUGE GNR fan. Not so much a maiden fan. So that says a lot. I hope I like it better. If anyone has a reference to a more detailed gameplay objective that would be appreciated.
I don’t know. I think I just expected a little more from a $10k LE game. Also need to sell my Delta GnR if anyone in central TX area is interested. Or maybe just sell this one.
I guess the point of this post (rant) is please change my mind on why I should love this game!!!
Oh. One last thing. Has anyone else had their play field glass seem too long? Mine looks like it is cut about a half inch too long. I really have to jam the end piece down and the button on it is actually not entirely clearing the glass.

A few things I didn’t like about GNR out of the box that I had to tweak:
+ flipper rubbers, they really didn’t seem good and cause quirky flow with the balls.
+ flipper alignment: flippers weren’t parallel with the guides which made for clunky returns to the flipper. I adjusted mine and it’s way better. Karl did the same as you’ll see on his YouTube videos. His game plays great! If yours isn’t playing that smooth, then I suggest you start playing around.
+ pitch: play around with the pitch. I do not like the recommended 6.5deg. I settled in right around 6.8.
+ increase flipper strength +1 notch.

That said, you gotta get the game dialed in. Some games are harder than others, I’ve had my fair share of tweaking on IMDN and DP.

I have maiden next to GNR. I’ve had maiden for 2 years. Know what I came to the conclusion of? Maiden is bad ass! So much, I put up a Keith Elwin poll about it because I just recently got a JP and surprised I found maiden more fun: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keith-vs-elwin#post-6066745

All in all, get your GNR tweaked and dialed in to play smoother, with ability to hit some combos, learn some rules, and you may start to find its genius ness. I think it’s an amazing game and very much prefer it over IMDN.

#6 3 years ago

My first impression was meh also, but I did not drop $10k on one. Went on down to the local arcade and put about a hour on one. Beautiful game, amazing light show, great music (when it can be heard because the screaming chick talks to much). Gameplay is very underwhelming and it is basically MB 90% of the time. I thought Hobbit was MB heavy and it has nothing on GNR. I will say they had the flippers dialed down to weak. Making the right ramp was VERY hard on this particular machine. It is a looker though, gets an A+ for looks. I am looking forward to putting more time on it and maybe it will grow on me.

#7 3 years ago

There are several capable locals who can help you get it set up to your liking and figure out the rules.
Snailman Tazmo72 come to mind right away but there are others.

#8 3 years ago

One problem with all JJP games is not knowing what to shoot for and why. They generally use all the lights all the time making it hard to figure out what needs shot. During the song modes, the lights are following the song, which leads to some awesome effects but also to further confusion as to what needs shot. The large display is full of information, but, with so much on it, it's hard to know where to look for what you need while playing. You almost need a "spotter" for a few plays.

I find it to be a fun machine, but with some of the typical JJP weaknesses (the lights not being telling enough, too much multiball, sluggish flippers). To me, it's JJP's best game to date, followed by PoTC.

#9 3 years ago

I really appreciate all the feedback! I agree with woody76 that it’s crazy multi ball heavy making it very hard to look at the screens and try to understand what to shoot for. But I appreciate the feedback on dialing it in a bit and just sticking with it to better understand how to progress. It’s clear there are TONS of modes in there. If I get to a point where I like this one better than IMDN I will be very happy.

Anyone know how this new GnR has affected resale value of the Data East? I want to sell that one now, mainly for space reasons

#10 3 years ago

Stupid drunk post deleted

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Austiniv:

But seriously. How can this not drive you crazy?! My glass is cut too long but to have the center button not be centered?! I dunno it drives me crazy
[quoted image]

Well I hadn’t noticed until I read this, not sure if this will help but the button appears more centered with the entire cabinet. The logo is centered in between the apron minus the shooter lane. So the shooter lane is throwing off the logo which makes the action button ‘appear’ off.

All as designed.

#12 3 years ago

Iron Maiden Pro is hands down the best pinball machine made. Still waiting to try GNR but I’m guessing I’ll enjoy the SE over other models

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Austiniv:

But seriously. How can this not drive you crazy?! My glass is cut too long but to have the center button not be centered?! I dunno it drives me crazy
[quoted image]

So is the button centered in the lockdown bar or not?It seems if your Invisaglass was a 1/2” too long you wouldn’t be able to put on lockdown bar without pinching corners and shattering that $300 glass?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Austiniv:

[quoted image]

All games are like that. The button is centered on the lockbar, not with the apron.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Austiniv:

My glass is cut too long

How long is it ?

Nothing in the rear channel stopping it from going in farther ?

LTG : )

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

How long is it ?
Nothing in the rear channel stopping it from going in farther ?
LTG : )

this is what I was thinking

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Odessa, FL
$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts
Hardware
$ 210.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-guns-n-roses- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.