Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Drenden
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

500_F_281580350_qkEX0gsszrDoMJElsCZMAuCiaFSyzqSg (resized).jpg
    E5CEB7AC-5CD1-4257-A57B-6AF6336C0099 (resized).jpeg
    ECC34D96-C653-49FC-9F75-1541D0E7E1BA (resized).jpeg
    553321EF-51F9-43C1-920A-E1B2C9A8739B (resized).jpeg
    CF62068C-7A95-45D8-B383-485D2028AC4F (resized).jpeg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Is it just me or does GNR feel cheap and lack good feeling shots? The ramps are very underwhelming and there doesn't really feel like that there is any toys that actually do anything. The flippers feel soggy and lack a tight snappy feel. I was considering purchasing as I like the theme but so far have I am very disappointed. Also, the multiball heavy gameplay becomes tiresome and doesn't inspire that one more game feel at all. I consider it to be the worst JJP - even worse than The Hobbit!

#2 3 years ago

Because you are asking....
    No I don’t think it feels cheap. The pin is heavy as hell and hardware/software are great. Flippers feel fine on my GNR SE (which are adjustable, btw).
    I dig the this pin. My 8 and 9 yr old daughters and wife dig this pin.
    Is this the best pin ever? Nah.
    Is it the “worst” JJP? Nah.
    There’s a lot of newer pins I don’t like, but not enough to start a post about tbh
    Play it a little more. Maybe it’ll change your mind

#3 3 years ago

I can’t wait to read this post tomorrow! This will be entertaining.

#4 3 years ago

I wish Iron Maiden had more in it, yes it’s fun pure shots and fun again and quick fast big points but missing extras, not played JJP GNR version so don’t know but will pay soon, still enjoy the old GNR pin by Data East for what it is in a game

#5 3 years ago

On the SE the right orbit to right flipper to right ramp to left ramp to inside orbit shot is one of the most satisfying awesome smooth fast combos ever! Game feels great and super flowy once you know the shots. The upper flipper orbit shot i can hit over and over feels Keith Elwin or Steve Ritchie Warp ramp like. Hitting the spinning disk and ripping the 2 spinners feel real good to especially that inner spinner. My favorite shot is the extra ball shot from left flipper past the spinning disk through the pops into the middle X lane up top, very similar to Elwins Jurassic smart missle shot.

Not sure how many games youve put on it but once you got the shots and code down its a really fun well thought out layout. I turned my flippers all up by 1. I tried different power levels and anything more and it made the shots feel off.

Multiball wise its part of the code style and works great but i did have my concerns also at first until i understood the code. My hands hurt after the first night of playing from so much multiball action but now i try to stack all four booster multiballs and lock all 6 balls for any songs to maximize balls and points.

#6 3 years ago

And Hobbit is a best pin ever !

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamsebas:

Is it just me or does GNR feel cheap and lack good feeling shots?

Cheap? no
    Lacking shots? Oh yeah but its JJP its not about shots its about appearance and "build quality" the old timers love that shit. The SE is a lot better in terms of gameplay but for me its not a good player.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamsebas:

Is it just me or does GNR feel cheap and lack good feeling shots? The ramps are very underwhelming and there doesn't really feel like that there is any toys that actually do anything. The flippers feel soggy and lack a tight snappy feel. I was considering purchasing as I like the theme but so far have I am very disappointed. Also, the multiball heavy gameplay becomes tiresome and doesn't inspire that one more game feel at all. I consider it to be the worst JJP - even worse than The Hobbit!

Talk about missed opportunities, have you seen star wars, jurassic park and stranger things?

Oh, i meant barren, kiddie dino and lesser afm bitch uggly.

#9 3 years ago

I played it 4hrs and it’s the first JJP game I really like and want to own someday.

That being said, I do think that the playfield could have been better.
    Most of the shots don’t feel very satisfying at all.
    However the lightshow and coding do make up big time for this!

Shot wise LZ feels a lot better if we compare recent machines.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Like ur genital's I presume.

JP and SW are amazing games.
    Sth apparently has come a long way but I've never put serious time on it.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamsebas:

Does GNR feel cheap ? Um... No
    GNR doesn't feel cheap , doesn't look cheap and it isn't cheap .
    Lack good feeling shots ? No way . The orbits are one of the reasons I'm getting one and when you combine them with the ramps and the inner loop , it feels fantastic .
    The Hobbit is one of the best games ever as well , so obviously we disagree about what we like in a game . That's all good everyone has their own opinions .
    If you want to see it played at it's full potential watch Carl .

#12 3 years ago

I love my LE, it feels multi ball heavy but I use those opportunities to try to lock as many balls as I can so i can platinum those vinyls...maybe you are trying to find negatives because to buy a game over the pond its like 2x our cost? Just guessing but not every game is for everyone, and thats ok

#13 3 years ago

Knucking Futs !/ The game does not feel cheap in any way and the shots are Solid and much fun and hard to hit on cue for me in my honeymoon stage ,And the game has the most developed code i ever experienced..

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

The Hobbit is one of the best games ever as well

That kinda kills any point ur trying to make.

GnR isn't for everyone. What if ur not a fan of the band? What if u prefer fast style gameplay? Lots of people thinks SW is trash and its one of my favorite games to date. Who cares?

#15 3 years ago

Nonsense

You obviously played a non dialed in location turd

My SE plays fast as lightning and is a flow monster

It’s got tons of super satisfying shots

The right ramp shot when you nail it and it hits the side of the cabinet is sex

Ripping a center spinner and having it loop to the top lanes is sex

Hitting 3+ inner loops in a row is sex

The orbits are endless and feel like a wide body, sex.

The right orbit right ramp combo is my favorite combo in pinball. Sex.

It’s my favorite game I’ve ever owned.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

And the newest, that never happens.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from LordHumungus:

And the newest, that never happens.

It’s actually my oldest game lol, just redid my entire collection.

You haven’t played it, you would like it. It’s a shooters game. Plays like a stern. Fast as hell.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Nonsense

This reminded me Tommy in trainspotting : better than sex baby, better than sex hahahaha

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

It’s actually my oldest game lol, just redid my entire collection.
    You haven’t played it, you would like it. It’s a shooters game. Plays like a stern. Fast as hell.

Not one JJP pin will EVER feel as good as a modern Stern...period. The flippers on JJP pins have always felt lackluster compared to Stern flippers and always will. There is a reason Stern flipper mechs are exclusive to them and are not to be sold to any of their competition. Like it or not, of all the current manufacturers, nothing feels as snappy and shoots as well as a Stern!

#20 3 years ago

Haven’t played it but will probably pick one up. Having a hard time deciding between SE and getting it now and LE and having to wait months to get it.
    I’ll probably go SE and put on invisiglass and a couple mods

#21 3 years ago

If you don't like it then consider yourself fortunate. I imagine they are extremely expensive in Australia so you just saved a ton of money.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

Not one JJP pin will EVER feel as good as a modern Stern...period. The flippers on JJP pins have always felt lackluster compared to Stern flippers and always will. There is a reason Stern flipper mechs are exclusive to them and are not to be sold to any of their competition. Like it or not, of all the current manufacturers, nothing feels as snappy and shoots as well as a Stern!

Disagree. I love how sterns feel but JJP did something different with the flippers on GnR. The are more powerful and very easy to control. They feel great.

#23 3 years ago

I've play two 2 on location both se. I'm sure it's cause they weren't set up right but I didn't enjoy shooting this as much as avengers infinity. Really would like to shoot a limited or se set up correctly so I could really judge this game.

#24 3 years ago

GNR feel cheap. No, not at all.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I played the SE and liked it. Its not my style in terms of code and while I was into GnR late 80's early 90's it didn't stand the test of time for me. I think it would have way better with a Maiden approach and all studio tracks of their heavier faster stuff. I just don't like the whole concert thing.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from LordHumungus:

That kinda kills any point ur trying to make.

Normally I would go in defence of The Hobbit and point out how many modes it has and how good the wizard modes are and how good the theme integration is and all the shots you can have , the brilliant music and how there are more rules in the action button than a lot of pins , BUT you are a newbie Stern fanboy , who only buys what pinside says is cool . So your opinion does not matter to me

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamsebas:

All JJP flippers have the same feel, soggy, no snap. People talk up the "build quality" because the cabinets are really solid and heavy, and the monitor is mounted on a metal swing arm. Good solid under-playfield support rails too for working on the game. All of these components are of the highest quality and deserve the praise they get.

But, the playfields have issues like all the other brands, the code can often be buggy, reliability is only so so on all JJP games. This is where the "build quality" suffers. Keeping them working right and running. Kind of important in a pinball machine imo. The multiball-fest that GNR is also brings to light the "flipper fade" phenomenon where the flippers get weaker with extended play.

#28 3 years ago

This just goes to show you no matter how excessive the imaginary "BOM" is, no matter how "immersive" the "world under glass" is, no matter how many "assets" or "original actors" are involved, no matter how goddamn heavy the machine is, no matter how ridiculously "deep" software is, no matter how many "wizard modes" it has and no matter how many fuckin blinding LEDs or spinny "toys" a game has, SOMEONE is always gonna bitch about it and make it sound like it's a zizzle built from balsa wood.

I guess we should remember that when we are pointlessly whining about a pinball machine...maybe that someone is us today.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This just goes to show you no matter how excessive the imaginary "BOM" is, no matter how "immersive" the "world under glass" is, no matter how many "assets" or "original voices" are involved, no matter how goddamn heavy the machine is, and no matter how many fuckin blinding LEDs or spinny "toys" a game has, SOMEONE is always gonna bitch about it.
    I guess we should remember that when we are pointlessly whining about a pinball machine...maybe that someone is us today.

What's your opinion of the game .

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

What's your opinion of the game .

It’s a pinball game. It’s not gonna change my life. It’s not going to provide me with the meaning or purpose that’s been missing in my existence. It’s not a world under glass I can shrink myself down to and curl up in.

It’s a good pinball machine like 90 percent of them ever built. It’s obviously got a ton of time and effort put into it and while I find the rules to be a little “much” as usual on a JJP game it’s hard to argue it isn’t fun, or doesn’t capture “guns n roses” as a theme.

If you are looking for a life changing event you’ll be disappointed but then that’s not what I’m looking for when I play a game of pinball.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Talk about missed opportunities, have you seen star wars, jurassic park and stranger things?

Whaaattt...? Stranger Things premium is sweet. Drop in Cleland code, fire up those UV lights, hang some balls on the back wall, and pie hole the demogorgan. Not sure what game you feel is a grail, but not a single person hasn't loved that game at our house.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s a pinball game. It’s not gonna change my life. It’s not going to provide me with the meaning or purpose that’s been missing in my existence. It’s not a world under glass I can shrink myself down to and curl up in.
    It’s a good pinball machine like 90 percent of them ever built. It’s obviously got a ton of time and effort put into it and while I find the rules to be a little “much” as usual on a JJP game it’s hard to argue it isn’t fun, or doesn’t capture “guns n roses” as a theme.
    If you are looking for a life changing event you’ll be disappointed but then that’s not what I’m looking for when I play a game of pinball.

I like 99% of pinballs I have played , some are more fun than others . GNR is one of them .

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Nonsense

GNR hasn't been out long enough for there to be "location turds". The game is brand new. Just because a game is in public, doesn't make it an unrepresentative "turd". JJP flippers don't have the snap of WPC games or Stern games. When people walk up to a JJP game and play it for the first time, this is often their opinion.

#34 3 years ago

Happy to be reading a few upbeat reports of GNR SE’s. Have yet to see one but know I will. Once CE’s are finished in April, it will be time for JJP to return the line to LE’s and SE’s. Both models will be back in the mix, and yes, new orders for SE’s will be taken again. Some have speculated JJP was done with SE’s, they aren’t and more will be coming imo. I believe pricing on SE’s was not increased, so by reopening at the previous price level, keeps one model affordable. 2021 will be remembered as the year of the Covid vaccines, but in pinball terms it will be the year of JJP GNR! Plenty of opportunity for the Op to buy one as JJP makes and sells 5k GNR by December.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I believe pricing on SE’s was not increased, so by reopening at the previous price level, keeps one model affordable. 2021 will be remembered as the year of the Covid vaccines, but in pinball terms it will be the year of JJP GNR! Plenty of opportunity for the Op to buy one.

As far as I know , the SE went up 1k as well .

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

As far as I know , the SE went up 1k as well .

Yep it did, i paid the extra 1k and have no issue with it. I actually payed more for my SW premium then GnR SE though still so im happy.

#37 3 years ago

Well then. I’m back to no JJP for me. Man I was really loving that price decrease especially on the SE.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

GNR feel cheap. No, not at all.

Not cheap but still boring.....need more designers and more programmers at JJP.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

GNR hasn't been out long enough for there to be "location turds". The game is brand new. Just because a game is in public, doesn't make it an unrepresentative "turd". JJP flippers don't have the snap of WPC games or Stern games. When people walk up to a JJP game and play it for the first time, this is often their opinion.

If you turn the flippers up to much they get too snappy and make the ball go flying airballing everywhere. On the one set to 25 by default i tried 30 down to 26 and 26 felt the closest to Stern of any JJP ive owned. I didnt like WOZ mushy flippers but Hobbits were a touch better but still not to snappy. GnR though i do think the flipper snap is more responsive and could be just me but with most recent code update they seemed even more snappy. I would say there between Williams and Stern feel wise now.

#40 3 years ago

I had alot of agro with my DI and after seeing the playfield issues of pirates and wonka told myself I'd never buy a JJP. But saw the release and risked it. JJP still have build quality issues for sure but the game is huge fun - Keefer and the team have taken a very different path on rules and thats to be commended. The loop shots are fantastic and the double shot to hit the lock shot is really cool and the inner loop is as good a shot as the IMDN loop shot.

#41 3 years ago

I owned it and sold it, fun game but build quality is shit, had to fix the record , had to fix the spinners, had to rebuild 2 flippers within 100 plays, plating flakes off ramps and was already wearing through the middle scoop Metal,Middle scoop switch went bad, Chinese manufactured junk, none of that bothered me, but then the playfield started to chip and the artwork was gone at the bottom posts, JJP’s answer was accept it or sell it back to us, i took the buy back but after a month of waiting for JJP to contact me i gave up and sold it privately. Obviously im the minority, i had 15 buyers ready to purchase at 9500(except for one 9000 offer from jersey) but i was in contact privately with 10 other owners of the game and they were all told these thing by JJP, no more warranty playfields, and some were also offered game buybacks by JJP. its hit or miss with this company, they have many happy customers that have great warranty support, but in my case warranty support was terrible, buyer beware!

553321EF-51F9-43C1-920A-E1B2C9A8739B (resized).jpeg553321EF-51F9-43C1-920A-E1B2C9A8739B (resized).jpegCF62068C-7A95-45D8-B383-485D2028AC4F (resized).jpegCF62068C-7A95-45D8-B383-485D2028AC4F (resized).jpegE5CEB7AC-5CD1-4257-A57B-6AF6336C0099 (resized).jpegE5CEB7AC-5CD1-4257-A57B-6AF6336C0099 (resized).jpegECC34D96-C653-49FC-9F75-1541D0E7E1BA (resized).jpegECC34D96-C653-49FC-9F75-1541D0E7E1BA (resized).jpeg
    #42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

I owned it and sold it, fun game but build quality is shit, had to fix the record , had to fix the spinners, had to rebuild 2 flippers within 100 plays, plating flakes off ramps and was already wearing through the middle scoop Metal,Middle scoop switch went bad, Chinese manufactured junk, none of that bothered me, but then the playfield started to chip and the artwork was gone at the bottom posts, JJP’s answer was accept it or sell it back to us, i took the buy back but after a month of waiting for JJP to contact me i gave up and sold it privately. Obviously im the minority, i had 15 buyers ready to purchase at 9500(except for one 9000 offer from jersey) but i was in contact privately with 10 other owners of the game and they were all told these thing by JJP, no more warranty playfields, and some were also offered game buybacks by JJP. its hit or miss with this company, they have many happy customers that have great warranty support, but in my case warranty support was terrible, buyer beware!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I will never, ever understand people who see THIS kind of damage and think "well, I'll take the chance and hope my game doesn't lose playfield artwork." A game costing $9000+, this kind of unrecoverable damage occurs, and yet people just buy buy buy.

This has been a problem for about 1.5 years now. Why can't this community put its brakes on and force the manufacturers to get their crap together?

Is emotion REALLY that far ahead of logic?

I'm honestly curious. If I saw that, NO WAY I'd be buying a game until the manufacturers solved the problem, explained what it was, how they fixed it, and could guarantee the problem is rectified.

Unreal that this hobby allows for THIS level of pitiful work and assembly, and prices only GO HIGHER.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I will never, ever understand people who see THIS kind of damage and think "well, I'll take the chance and hope my game doesn't lose playfield artwork." A game costing $9000+, this kind of unrecoverable damage occurs, and yet people just buy buy buy.
    This has been a problem for about 1.5 years now. Why can't this community put its brakes on and force the manufacturers to get their crap together?
    Is emotion REALLY that far ahead of logic?
    I'm honestly curious. If I saw that, NO WAY I'd be buying a game until the manufacturers solved the problem, explained what it was, how they fixed it, and could guarantee the problem is rectified.
    Unreal that this hobby allows for THIS level of pitiful work and assembly, and prices only GO HIGHER.

I agree, I thought no way i would get my money back, but I did, whats sad is JJP told me they are no longer going to warranty this type of issue with a new playfield, but instead offer me washers to cover or if thats not good enough JJP will buy back the game, although if they were really going to buy it back they would have contacted me sooner than a month. Again there will be 10 owners of JJP that defend the company and say what great build quality and even better warranty support, but i know of 10 others that got screwed like me and are afraid to come forward.

#44 3 years ago

I get what you guys are saying. Look at WOZ sticker cover up they sent out or the light board issues, Wonka pooling and chipping, and DI what was it the Sim hole. They got issues with every game so far. With that said i enjoy playing pinball so i buy them. Do i worry on every JJP purchase, yes! Now that they will buy back games instead of sending out unpopulated playfields i do feel alittle better even if it takes 30 days for that to happen. I do think GnR feels cheaper then Hobbit which was pretty rock solid playfield for me. I guess ill just play it until it falls apart or get bored with it and sell it at reduced price as i do all pins since i get no personal attachment to any game. There all treated like visitors to my house with red carpet treatment until the day they leave.

#45 3 years ago

I wonder what they are going to do with the buyback games?

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

I get what you guys are saying. Look at WOZ sticker cover up they sent out or the light board issues, Wonka pooling and chipping, and DI what was it the Sim hole. They got issues with every game so far. With that said i enjoy playing pinball so i buy them. Do i worry on every JJP purchase, yes! Now that they will buy back games instead of sending out unpopulated playfields i do feel alittle better even if it takes 30 days for that to happen. I do think GnR feels cheaper then Hobbit which was pretty rock solid playfield for me. I guess ill just play it until it falls apart or get bored with it and sell it at reduced price as i do all pins since i get no personal attachment to any game. There all treated like visitors to my house with red carpet treatment until the day they leave.

They offered but never followed through so i gave up and sold it privately, i know two others gave up and sold privately, so i dont know of one game they bought back, glad you dont mind, my game was never leaving, i didnt want a buy back just a playfield, i was told JJP wont be replacing playfields anymore! I wontbe buying JJP anymore, i know of a dozen others that wont be buying anymore either, but there are apparently many others that buy even though they’ve been treated poorly and received a defective product, it defies all logic.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

They offered but never followed through so i gave up and sold it privately, i know two others gave up and sold privately, so i dont know of one game they bought back, glad you dont mind, my game was never leaving, i didnt want a buy back just a playfield, i was told JJP wont be replacing playfields anymore! I wontbe buying JJP anymore, i know of a dozen others that wont be buying anymore either, but there are apparently many others that buy even though they’ve been treated poorly and received a defective product, it defies all logic.

I know this wont help the situation but if i had to personally id buy a playfield myself and swap it out but i understand that most cant do that kind of job and refuse to pay for a playfield when its defective in the first place and should be a full populated playfield replacement free. I can pretty much guarantee you though that the dozen that told you they wouldn't buy anymore NIB JJPs some will break and buy on the next JJP release, some just cant help themselves. I do believe i read of one guy that got his game bought back on here but dont hold me to it. The reason i think people still buy is because there passion for pinball fun is stronger then there fear of dealing with defective games i guess.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

BUT you are a newbie Stern fanboy

U see this is the classic tactic of the JJP fanboy. Judgement and ignorance. I've been here for 7 yrs I just changed my account. I've owned well over 100 games of many manufacturers.

Ouch, that's gotta sting.

500_F_281580350_qkEX0gsszrDoMJElsCZMAuCiaFSyzqSg (resized).jpg500_F_281580350_qkEX0gsszrDoMJElsCZMAuCiaFSyzqSg (resized).jpg
    #49 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

but in pinball terms it will be the year of JJP GNR!

Almost no one is going to think that.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamsebas:

It’s 100% just you. Lol

It’s phenomenal

I just unboxed my Wonka CE. It’s a cool pin too that I’m in the learning phase on.

I’m looking at JPLE, EHOHLE, AVengersLE and STHLE. All fun, all a blast to play. I love em but

GNRCE is in a league of its own. Above them

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-gnr-missed-opportunity-/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.