(Topic ID: 278802)

JJP Game #7 - Toy Story?

By jfh

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210119-223254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    toy story12222 (resized).jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

Congrats to those excited about today’s reveal of JJP’s Guns N Roses machine. Always nice to see a new game!

I’m now looking forward to information on what JJP #7 will be. Like many, I’m excited at the prospect of a Toy Story pinball with great use of Disney assets and the build and design quality we have come to expect from JJP.

Given the delays caused by Covid and the factory move it’s reasonable to expect #7 is done or close and that #8 (and #9) are in development. But what’s a reasonable time frame for #7? I’m thinking it has to be April of earlier if JJP is going to meet its goal of multiple releases per year.

#2 3 years ago

I'd say Toy Story has been finished for sometime now..

#3 3 years ago

LMFAO - Yes....bring on Toy Story. Been long enough.

#5 3 years ago

Told the wife about GnR pinball machine and the cool light show... Her comment, "You better not buy that pinball machine cause I cannot stand their music in a pinball machine." BTW, I have Metallica Premium and she does not enjoy the music looping in the background.

My reply, "Well, Toy Story is rumored to be the next machine produced out for next year". She shrugged her shoulders and walked away.

I'll take that as a Yes. Come on JJP, great GnR pinball machine. Do the same, but with more toy representation for Toy Story.

If JJP produces a pinball machine similar to TSPP, but with JJP quality.... CE for ME and an instant masterpiece.

#6 3 years ago

Looking forward to Toy Story. I would settle for one strong title every 12 months from JJP. Competition benefits the hobby.

#7 3 years ago

Before plans for next JJP pin get out of hand. Toy Story has been up to bat three times now.

Toy Story - no Yellow Brick Woz. Toy Story - no Willy Wonka. Toy Story - no Guns and Roses.

So only the powers that be know what is planned next. Assuming nothing changes, like when getting the Hobbit license shelved a couple rumored titles.

LTG : )

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Before plans for next JJP pin get out of hand. Toy Story has been up to bat three times now.
    Toy Story - no Yellow Brick Woz. Toy Story - no Willy Wonka. Toy Story - no Guns and Roses.
    So only the powers that be know what is planned next. Assuming nothing changes, like when getting the Hobbit license shelved a couple rumored titles.

Well, nothing is official until announced. I’m not planning for it, just hoping.

But if it’s not going to be Toy Story it’s time for JJP to put that rumor to bed once and for all. They wouldn’t have to say what it is, just what it isn’t.

The longer JJP leads people to believe it’s Toy Story when it’s not the more disappointed those of us waiting for it will be and the more likely we’ll spend our pinball money on something else. I’d like a JJP game, especially a well done Toy Story, but if I don’t see any clarity around the title in the best 4-6 months (one way or the other) I doubt I’ll go to my original back up plan which was WOZ or Wonka.

Early indications are that GNR will sell well and I wouldn’t want to cannibalize those sales, but I’ve got to believe there isn’t a lot of overlap in those target markets.

#9 3 years ago

After the re-run of pirates.

#10 3 years ago

Is the next game a Pat Lawlor disign?

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I remember naively thinking they would time the release with toy story 4...

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

But is it safe to say Pat's game is next? haha I really don't care what theme it is just give me another Pat game before he retires! He is almost 70! Crazy he still is pumping out games.

#13 3 years ago

Presumably it is a Lawlor game, if rumors are true. I’m a Lawlor fan - have TAF, SC, NGG, WW - and would love a Lawlor Toy Story as my keeper JJP game.

If there is a Toy Story, it may have a hard time matching GNR in terms of theme integration, but I hope it has some good pinball toys on the playfield. Toy Story would most likely be our last NIB game unless JJP ever does BTTF so I’m hoping for a home run (or at least a triple).

It seems that GNR is indeed going to be a big hit so I’m going to say we see JJP #7 in June of next year rather than spring.

#14 3 years ago

I dont think we will see #7 until the orders and inventory for #6 are finished. I'm guessing they will want to get a significant number of #7 built before release like they did with GnR.

The reveal could have an animated Pat Lawlor, Tom Hanks (Woody) and Tim Allen (Buzz Lightyear) discovering the game and playing it... Or -- maybe they are trapped in the game... Now that might be cool.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tonic67:

I dont think we will see #7 until the orders and inventory for #6 are finished. I'm guessing they will want to get a significant number of #7 built before release like they did with GnR.
    The reveal could have an animated Pat Lawlor, Tom Hanks (Woody) and Tim Allen (Buzz Lightyear) discovering the game and playing it... Or -- maybe they are trapped in the game... Now that might be cool.

Oh yeah I don't disagree with that timeline I'm just excited to see whatever it is next summer. I have 1 more spot and plan on having a Wonka/DI and whatever this is. If it's a widebody gonna need to get a tad creative.

Does a widebody fit inbetween two standards fairly good?

#16 3 years ago

Toy Story is an automatic CE order for me.

#17 3 years ago

What happened to the Muppets rumor long time ago?

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from WODKA:

What happened to the Muppets rumor long time ago?

It was just that...a rumor.

Stern even trolled a Muppet release a few years ago.

#19 3 years ago

One big Kid over here. Put me down for a Toy Story.. Hopefully the same attention to detail will be applied like Guns and Roses.
    Buzz lightyear to star command ....Come in star command.

toy story12222 (resized).jpgtoy story12222 (resized).jpg
    #20 3 years ago

I’m not a little kid, so I feel like this theme is ass.....

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I remember naively thinking they would time the release with toy story 4...

Releasing movie themes with theatrical release doesn’t matter. Attachment to theme transcends any small theatrical window. Toy Story is a perfect example evergreen license. It’s simultaneously nostalgic & current. Everyone loves it in every family.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Releasing movie themes with theatrical release doesn’t matter. Attachment to theme transcends any small theatrical window. Toy Story is a perfect example evergreen license. It’s simultaneously nostalgic & current. Everyone loves it in every family.

True, but cross promotion is a thing. There are benefits for a company if they time their release to line up with another major release in the franchise.

Toy Story is a great theme. It's the only theme my wife has preauthorized me to buy. Ironically, I might be the one putting the brakes on this one. I want to see the game first, and if I end up wanting a CE and they're all gone by then, I'll probably just pass. Now that they're putting extra game play features in the CE, the lower tiers might start feeling like incomplete games.

#23 3 years ago

I am auto Toy Story CE buy. I was before the GNR CE sales sold out.

#24 3 years ago

I have always loved Toy Story but trying to think of a main toy ... something that was in all 4 movies? Yikes. I cannot imagine trying to code for 4 different movies and have enough of each movie represented on the playfield ... again yikes. If they build and code it solely based on TS1 then that'll be an automatic bummer. Pirates was easy. Ships. WONKA was easy - one movie. WOZ was easy because it was ONE movie. TH was pretty easy because while spread over 3 movies it was the same characters mostly throughout and the main toy is Smaug. Back to Toy Story - the only thing I can think of that is in every movie besides the main characters is the pizza planet delivery truck and that was a cameo more than anything. Cannot imagine what you could do with that. It just feels like that's just one title that isn't a good idea.
    Now Harry Potter on the other hand - holy cow so easy. Like POTC you have one main theme - ships VS Hogwartz. Elvira and Medieval Madness as well I guess. They could do somethings like pinball magic or Theatre of Magic implemented. I have endless ideas for this title.

Anyway congrats to the GNR folks and if Toy Story is the next title I wish best of luck trying to make a winner out of it.

#25 3 years ago

I really don’t know why all the kid theme pins...

Personally I would never buy a Toy Story. I asked my kids if they like TS. 14 yr old no, 12 year old no, 11 year old no way, 9 year old kinda...

Consider putting out an adult themed pin targeting us mid 40’s guys...

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Noma2017:

I am auto Toy Story CE buy. I was before the GNR CE sales sold out.

Because?

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

I have always loved Toy Story but trying to think of a main toy ... something that was in all 4 movies? Yikes. I cannot imagine trying to code for 4 different movies and have enough of each movie represented on the playfield ... again yikes. If they build and code it solely based on TS1 then that'll be an automatic bummer. Pirates was easy. Ships. WONKA was easy - one movie. WOZ was easy because it was ONE movie. TH was pretty easy because while spread over 3 movies it was the same characters mostly throughout and the main toy is Smaug. Back to Toy Story - the only thing I can think of that is in every movie besides the main characters is the pizza planet delivery truck and that was a cameo more than anything. Cannot imagine what you could do with that. It just feels like that's just one title that isn't a good idea.
    Now Harry Potter on the other hand - holy cow so easy. Like POTC you have one main theme - ships VS Hogwartz. Elvira and Medieval Madness as well I guess. They could do somethings like pinball magic or Theatre of Magic implemented. I have endless ideas for this title.
    Anyway congrats to the GNR folks and if Toy Story is the next title I wish best of luck trying to make a winner out of it.

Well, the ideal would be using clips from all the movies as well as custom animation made specifically for the game. There are plenty of Toy Story characters that could be represented on the playfield without any need to tie directly to any specific movie or plot point.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jecco74:

I really don’t know why all the kid theme pins...
    Personally I would never buy a Toy Story. I asked my kids if they like TS. 14 yr old no, 12 year old no, 11 year old no way, 9 year old kinda...
    Consider putting out an adult themed pin targeting us mid 40’s guys...

Toy Story movies are great films. For anyone. It’s not a “kid” theme....but it is bizarre your kids don’t like Toy Story. How is that even possible?

They just released GnR. That’s an adult pin targeting 40 year olds. A successful pinball company needs to have multiple games on the line. A portfolio of titles that appeals to different demographics = more sales.

#29 3 years ago

They could do Toy Story land. Incorporating Pizza Planet, AL's toy barn and Andy's room. The theme alone screams fun. Oversized Lincoln logs and board games. Mr. Pat Lawlor cant sit back and let Eric alone take all of this new praise. You can do it Pat go get em!

#30 3 years ago

I like Lawlor’s games. Have Wonka and Dialed In. Toy Story is an incredible theme IMHO. Brilliantly written movies and the whole family loves them.

I also think GNR looks incredible and I never saw the CE sell out coming

#31 3 years ago

Heard “The Godfather” mentioned yesterday for the first time. Anyone else heard this?

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Heard “The Godfather” mentioned yesterday for the first time. Anyone else heard this?

Jack would have to make Coppola an Offer he couldn't refuse.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

True, but cross promotion is a thing....

Doesn't really seem to be in the Pinball world...but everyone keeps acting like it is.

JP, IMDN, Wonka, GNR, TMNT, Stranger things, Munsters Star Wars, Elvira, Beatles, GOTG, DP.....any of these have any timely tie ins?

#34 3 years ago

The godfather would be great. Don't think the old JJP would have went for that theme but who knows. Its been a while since sopranos and the godfather is an iconic theme. Sounds cool but I still want Toy Story.

#35 3 years ago

Let me clarify. My thoughts are that JJP trys to be more family friendly. However with the new guns and roses adult mode it shows they can get R rated as well. I hope they can ramp up the production and build 2 new games a year. The community would love options. Especially well built and loaded options.

#36 3 years ago

No question Toy Story next. Just the first I’d heard of Godfather. Would be great with the JJP treatment. But of course getting assets would likely be a minefield, so not holding out too much hope.

#37 3 years ago

I’ve always wondered how no other possible JJP possible game titles have been leaked?All of the ones we knew about happened many years ago

#38 3 years ago

I'm also hoping that Toy Story is next, however after GnR with it's phenomenal theme integration getting Toy Story right will be nearly impossible, especially with Disney involved. Disney will hoard and not let go of needed sound and video assets (see any Disney-owned theme in the recent past) nor will it be possible to get Tom Hanks/Tim Allen/Wallace Shawn/Joan Cusack/John Ratzenberger etc on board for the same level of callouts....just afraid we'll be disappointed!!

#39 3 years ago

I do not think Disney is the monster they are made out to be. We work with licensing alot and it just needs to be financially beneficial to all parties evolved. I think with the new success of GNR JJP will be in a better position to secure bigger better licenses.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

I do not think Disney is the monster they are made out to be. We work with licensing alot and it just needs to be financially beneficial to all parties evolved. I think with the new success of GNR JJP will be in a better position to secure bigger better licenses.

JJP POTC and Stern Star Wars designers & team members I've listened to would beg to differ....

#41 3 years ago

Things like games, toys, apps, clothing and so much more are happening daily. I can't speak for those particular situations. Lucas films is definitely strict however we have worked with Disney before and it was not bad at all. The takeaway from my statement is because JJP has had a big success with this release I would imagine they are in a position where they would feel more comfortable spending a larger amount of money on a license. They are now seeing profits from this release.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

They are now seeing profits from this release.

For not much more content in GNR than a box of lights and artwork, yes big profits on MSRP $12,5k. Lol (prices are way to high for value received, imo.)

Looking forward to Toy Story for sure. Hope it is a home run for them.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

For not much more content in GNR than a box of lights and artwork, yes big profits on MSRP $12,5k. Lol (prices are way to high for value received, imo.)
    Looking forward to Toy Story for sure. Hope it is a home run for them.

Umm okay? Since when is it just lights and artwork? It’s got basically complete code, some cool shots, deep rules and some slick pieces in the guitar ball lock and the cool left ramp. 4 flippers too. Whatever.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

JJP POTC and Stern Star Wars designers & team members I've listened to would beg to differ....

Tron had movie clips and sound bites from the movie

#45 3 years ago

Im digging the adult content in GNR, need more of that. im an adult and want to play adult pinball lol With that in mind here are some ideas

Porky's
    Usual Suspects
    Scarface
    Fast Times at Ridgemont high
    Kick-Ass
    Hangover
    Rounders

#46 3 years ago

i want it if lotso and the prospector are in it

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

SW had movie assets. It all comes down the to actor contracts.

Toy Story is animated, and Disney can provide all the visual animation assets, no problem. Most Toy Story products with Woody’s voice use Tom Hanks’ brother...that’s likely to happen here, at least for custom callouts. I wouldn’t be shocked if they could get Wallace Shawn and/or John Ratz to dk custom voices....ya never know. If they could find a solid Rickles sound-alike, that would be perfect for Mr Potatohead making fun of you while you play.

#48 3 years ago

They have so many great actors to choose from. Its amazing how much talent they have in those movies.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Quoted from Hammerhead:

Tron had movie clips and sound bites from the movie

Quoted from Rarehero:

SW had movie assets. It all comes down the to actor contracts.
    Toy Story is animated, and Disney can provide all the visual animation assets, no problem. Most Toy Story products with Woody’s voice use Tom Hanks’ brother...that’s likely to happen here, at least for custom callouts. I wouldn’t be shocked if they could get Wallace Shawn and/or John Ratz to dk custom voices....ya never know. If they could find a solid Rickles sound-alike, that would be perfect for Mr Potatohead making fun of you while you play.

Not arguing that Disney gave them access to some assets, as that is obvious.

Talked to Steve Ritchie and Dwight Sullivan at a pinball show after the release of Star Wars, both telling stories how difficult it was to deal with Disney and how controlling they were, having to get permissions for every little detail. Similar stories are out there from Eric Meunier and Keefer Johnson about working with Disney on POTC assets, Keefer in particular talking about how careful they had to be in using video assets.

Compare that to the design freedom and openness given to Eric & Keefer in putting together Guns & Roses, both of whom sung the praises of having full cooperation about the asset in the release videos we've seen so far. I'm very afraid that after GnR a Toy Story pin will be back to Disney levels of cooperation, which may tie the hands of Pat Lawlor and not make it as great as it could be....

#50 3 years ago

Fingers crossed they get enough assets to make it great. I like the look of GNRSE and it give me hope of a Toy Story SE. I'm not a buyer of JJP LE games but hope to add one to the collection one day. Toy Story and Wonka are the most likely.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-game-7-toy-story-when-will-we-see-it?hl=papakilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.