(Topic ID: 278802)

JJP Game #7 - Toy Story?

By jfh

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210119-223254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    toy story12222 (resized).jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Compare that to the design freedom and openness given to Eric & Keefer in putting together Guns & Roses, both of whom sung the praises of having full cooperation about the asset in the release videos we've seen so far. I'm very afraid that after GnR a Toy Story pin will be back to Disney levels of cooperation, which may tie the hands of Pat Lawlor and not make it as great as it could be....

Well, it’s pretty obvious you aren’t going to have the level of interest of the IP holder by Disney in a Toy Story pin than Slash did with GNR. TS needs to do far better with IP that what happened with POTC. I think it’s almost a guarantee we will see a lesser level of theme integration in TS than GNR and that JJP will take a lot of flack for that (though I’d love to be wrong).

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Well, it’s pretty obvious you aren’t going to have the level of interest of the IP holder by Disney in a Toy Story pin than Slash did with GNR. TS needs to do far better with IP that what happened with POTC. I think it’s almost a guarantee we will see a lesser level of theme integration in TS than GNR and that JJP will take a lot of flack for that (though I’d love to be wrong).

They really set the bar high with GNR and like Eric said there may never be another pin like this because of the involvement/passion of Slash "a pinball player himself" and his willingness to use his power to make things happen. Biggest example getting Paul McCartney to signoff on using Live and Let Die when it got hung up in the asset acquiring process. Who is going to tell someone like Slash no? I would expect you will never see this again unless someone seeks out JJP to make a pin for them.

#53 3 years ago

I really want to see you story as a pin. Obviously animation assets are plentiful given the cg nature of the film's. I worry about stagnation though. Toy story 4 was awesome, but unless we see a 5, it seems fondness may decline.

#54 3 years ago

Disney is a very greedy corporation!

#55 3 years ago

If JJP is with Disney, I'd love a classic ESPN/sportcenter pinball machine.

Bear with the guy lip syncing the video, this is the only clip I could find of this song, but imagine the epic callouts from the Jock/Jack Jams SportsCenter Megamix song here:

It couldn't get much better, IMO.

#56 3 years ago

JJP should make BTTF. Dream theme with dream company. Make it happen JJP. BTTF is still super popular. They just came out with the shoes a few years ago and people want those shoes badly.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from BallPin:

JJP should make BTTF. Dream theme with dream company. Make it happen JJP. BTTF is still super popular. They just came out with the shoes a few years ago and people want those shoes badly.

Truly a dream theme!

1 week later
    #58 3 years ago

Hoping for a Toy Story - definitely room in my basement for a 4th pin!

2 months later
    #59 3 years ago

You know if Jack makes a Toy Story pinball it will definitely have a claw! My family is really excited about the possibility of a toy story pinball. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

giphy (resized).pnggiphy (resized).png
    #60 3 years ago

Whatever the next JJP pin is (Toy Story or not) I really hope they can get it out by early Spring. Would love to see JJP finally get to 2 game releases a year and see a second release next Oct/Nov

#61 3 years ago

We have an idea of how many games the can pump out per week. The GnR CE's (500) are just now hitting the line. Zero chance Toy Story is ready by Spring.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from Uberlit:

We have an idea of how many games the can pump out per week. The GnR CE's (500) are just now hitting the line. Zero chance Toy Story is ready by Spring.

I would agree somewhat if their production rate stays flat all year. My hope is that they are continually ramping up production to get closer to 100 games a day maybe or more. I would be shocked if their target goal continues to be 1 new game release a year

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from Uberlit:

I’m thinking 3rd q of this year. Maybe!

#64 3 years ago

good lord I hope not...

can you imagine how much crap they will stuff into a game called Toy Story.

double the toys and lights!!!

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Is the next game a Pat Lawlor disign?

Since Pat has made their two best playing games by far this would be a wise move.

1 week later
    #66 3 years ago

If JJP can get a second line going for Guns N Roses, there's a fighting chance #7 will be released in the summer. They have the ability to do so. I just don't think they have the man power to fill two lines.

If it is Toy Story, I for one will be in for an LE; possibly a CE with the wifes approval.

#67 3 years ago

I think CEs should be done by sometime in March and they then run LEs for a solid 3-4 months after to finish existing orders and then announce game #7 sometime in June/July. Then I’m sure they’ll continue to do smaller runs of GnR after that periodically.

#68 3 years ago

I love the JJP games. But - GnR is either you like the band or don't. If you don't, will be tough to have in your collection. Pirates.. killed it. WOZ.. its a classic, but can still be a little meh. Dialed in? Family didn't like the theme at all but lots of people rave about it. Willy.. can tolerate it, not the strongest theme. So whats next? Toy Story? Really? Muppets? What? When I played Hot Wheels the testosterone was sucked out of my body as I played it. And yes.. we have TMNT but its not for the theme.. its for the coop, 2v2, and play. Maybe there's hope.. if its done well, maybe theme won't matter. Crossing my fingers. I do support a more "adult" theme though.

#69 3 years ago

please don't make muppets. they are over. latest show of them on Disney bombed. i used to like them, but they ran their course.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

please don't make muppets. they are over. latest show of them on Disney bombed. i used to like them, but they ran their course.

Honestly I would love to see a muppets pin. Originally I thought it should be based off the original show. I changed my mind however. I think they should literally just re-skin potc into muppet treasure island. Get full assets, which is probably very doable with that movie, and make the code follow the movie and be easier to understand. Have the 2 cranky old guys as animatronic talking heads for the topper talking trash all game, and great hand drawn artwork and this thing would sell a ton. No need to spend money or time re-designing a whole new table. Put that money into the full assets, and coding. People that missed out on potc could get that great layout, and it’s a classic family theme again with plenty of great lines and call outs.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Well, nothing is official until announced. I’m not planning for it, just hoping.
    But if it’s not going to be Toy Story it’s time for JJP to put that rumor to bed once and for all. They wouldn’t have to say what it is, just what it isn’t.
    The longer JJP leads people to believe it’s Toy Story when it’s not the more disappointed those of us waiting for it will be and the more likely we’ll spend our pinball money on something else. I’d like a JJP game, especially a well done Toy Story, but if I don’t see any clarity around the title in the best 4-6 months (one way or the other) I doubt I’ll go to my original back up plan which was WOZ or Wonka.
    Early indications are that GNR will sell well and I wouldn’t want to cannibalize those sales, but I’ve got to believe there isn’t a lot of overlap in those target markets.

I posted this over a year ago; I talked to Jack when I bought an arcade from him, and to his word, he said Wonka next, then GnR, then Toy Story; this was like 2 years ago; no reason to not believe him as he's been on the money with that call.

I cannot wait for Toy Story...Day 1 LE Buy for me.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I posted this over a year ago; I talked to Jack when I bought an arcade from him, and to his word, he said Wonka next, then GnR, then Toy Story; this was like 2 years ago; no reason to not believe him as he's been on the money with that call.

Your LE toy story will look great next to your HWs pin. next up.. Barbie!

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

Your LE toy story will look great next to your HWs pin. next up.. Barbie!

Says the guy with TMNT in his profile pic...What are you an 8 year old trapped in 1989??

#74 3 years ago

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Says the guy with TMNT in his profile pic...What are you an 8 year old trapped in 1989??

Funny you should mention that. The theme is NOT why we have that game. The 2v2, final battle, co-op, half shell challenge, continuously updated code, 3 flippers, nice multiball integration (pizza, turtle power, neutrino, team up), 3 ramps, spinning disk, etc... and hot wheels has.. a ramp, and a car spinning around on a stick. Now toy story, or he-man, my lil pony, blues clues, dora the explorer, Gi Joe, insert whatever other kids theme here . Notice how the adult themed pins are crushing the others? Maybe take note? Even with fat Axl, id take GnR all day before another reach into the childhood of the mid 40 to 60 somethings with buying power. We are begging for adult pins. Let's see.. 1989.. I would have been 15. Probably over most of the themes mentioned.. but why not.. im sure buying a mustang and playing toy story (that was NOT part of my childhood) could round out a good mid life crisis. Hell.. maybe I'll finally get around to joining Facebook and trying to find divorced ex gfs.. You know I have nothing but love for you right..?

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

Funny you should mention that. The theme is NOT why we have that game. The 2v2, final battle, co-op, half shell challenge, continuously updated code, 3 flippers, nice multiball integration (pizza, turtle power, neutrino, team up), 3 ramps, spinning disk, etc... and hot wheels has.. a ramp, and a car spinning around on a stick. Now toy story, or he-man, my lil pony, blues clues, dora the explorer, Gi Joe, insert whatever other kids theme here . Notice how the adult themed pins are crushing the others? Maybe take note? Even with fat Axl, id take GnR all day before another reach into the childhood of the mid 40 to 60 somethings with buying power. We are begging for adult pins. Let's see.. 1989.. I would have been 15. Probably over most of the themes mentioned.. but why not.. im sure buying a mustang and playing toy story (that was NOT part of my childhood) could round out a good mid life crisis. Hell.. maybe I'll finally get around to joining Facebook and trying to find divorced ex gfs.. You know I have nothing but love for you right..?

You are saying don't mind the theme of TMNT, look at the gameplay...It's exactly what I would tell you with Hot Wheels, the gameplay is smokin...Not sure if you haven't played one yet, it sounds like you haven't. But it's fast and fun, easy ruleset, but nice depth, risk and reward, feels like a 90's B/W.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

You are saying don't mind the theme of TMNT, look at the gameplay...It's exactly what I would tell you with Hot Wheels, the gameplay is smokin...Not sure if you haven't played one yet, it sounds like you haven't. But it's fast and fun, easy ruleset, but nice depth, risk and reward, feels like a 90's B/W.

We played it. I just don't think I gave it enough chance. Seems a little lacking on toys though? Does look fast..

#78 3 years ago

Personally I cant wait to see what a Toy Story pin would look like. I dont consider it to be a childrens theme. Sure, its no Grand Theft Auto where you are mowing down people with your car and then killing hookers after you “used” them, but do we really need “adult” themed games? How about one based around the average life of an adult? Wake up, go to work, come home, shit, play with kids, drink yourself to sleep, rinse and repeat. Is that adult enough for everyone? We could have special modes where you send the kiddos to grandmas for a weekend and one for AA meetings. Im not sure about the rest of you, but I play to get away from my adult life. Bring on all the wacky themes!

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Personally I cant wait to see what a Toy Story pin would look like. I dont consider it to be a childrens theme. Sure, its no Grand Theft Auto where you are mowing down people with your car and then killing hookers after you “used” them, but do we really need “adult” themed games? How about one based around the average life of an adult? Wake up, go to work, come home, shit, play with kids, drink yourself to sleep, rinse and repeat. Is that adult enough for everyone? We could have special modes where you send the kiddos to grandmas for a weekend and one for AA meetings. Im not sure about the rest of you, but I play to get away from my adult life. Bring on all the wacky themes!

I don't like most JJP games, except Dialed In may be one of the best games ever. Toy Story would be a day 1 CE, grail theme for our family and a bonus if Lawlor is on it. I hope the code is improved over the last two games. No multiball mess, long ball snoozefest of gnr or jumbled, no direction Wonka.

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from PokerJake:

I don't like most JJP games, except Dialed In may be one of the best games ever. Toy Story would be a day 1 CE, grail theme for our family and a bonus if Lawlor is on it. I hope the code is improved over the last two games. No multiball mess, long ball snoozefest of gnr or jumbled, no direction Wonka.

I haven’t played Dialed In. Seen some streams on it. It looks fun. Unfortunately the theme is not good for me. I will happily pay to play ones that I dont care for the theme on location, but if its coming to the house, I better like the theme. I wouldnt be able to swing a CE for Toy Story, but Im sure I would splurge on the LE.

#81 3 years ago

Say what you will about gameplay being the most important element, but given this is a theme with the word “Toy” actually in the Title, I would really hope that Lawler has better toys than Wonka & DI because both of those had the least innovative toys in a JJP pin to date. If it doesn’t, it’s a pass for me.

#82 3 years ago

I won't say that toy story wouldn't be ok as a theme, but can't help but think what IF Sterns TMNT was a different theme but same game. I ignored it when it came out because of the theme. Its grown on me. My kids watched it when they were little. Adult theme.. let's see. GTA.. um no. But Borderlands, COD, For Honor, or something along those lines? Mad Max, a war based game (military) old school like WW2 - Dunkirk, platoon, band of brothers. What if hot wheels was gran turismo or need for speed. Im not talking leisure suite Larry. Im sure there are a ton of ideas that don't involve babysitting, grandma, alcoholism, and sad repetitive lives.. just thoughts.

#83 3 years ago

Would there not have to be a claw machine toy on a Toy Story machine? Seems like table stakes.

#84 3 years ago

We are lucky if we see it this year. Game got delayed due to covid. Thats my opinion

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

We played it. I just don't think I gave it enough chance. Seems a little lacking on toys though? Does look fast..

Definitely lacking on toys, but man is it fun...I can't get enough of it; definitely a "one more game" type of pin.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Honestly I would love to see a muppets pin. Originally I thought it should be based off the original show. I changed my mind however. I think they should literally just re-skin potc into muppet treasure island. Get full assets, which is probably very doable with that movie, and make the code follow the movie and be easier to understand. Have the 2 cranky old guys as animatronic talking heads for the topper talking trash all game, and great hand drawn artwork and this thing would sell a ton. No need to spend money or time re-designing a whole new table. Put that money into the full assets, and coding. People that missed out on potc could get that great layout, and it’s a classic family theme again with plenty of great lines and call outs.

Those are good ideas on the muppets in potc . What's the name of the shrimp creature? I like him. Muppets xmas with Michael caine was their best movie.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Say what you will about gameplay being the most important element, but given this is a theme with the word “Toy” actually in the Title, I would really hope that Lawler has better toys than Wonka & DI because both of those had the least innovative toys in a JJP pin to date. If it doesn’t, it’s a pass for me.

DI has 6 interactive toys, about all you can ask for nowadays. The recent JJPs have very few interactive toys, especially for the price. At least Sterns price reflects it.

Screenshot_20210119-223254_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210119-223254_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #88 3 years ago

Out of all the JJP's Dialed in is my fav, I finally updated code to the latest last nite, Really a fun filled packed game.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I’m thinking 3rd q of this year. Maybe!

Just in time for Christmas with the kids who grew up with the theme!

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Those are good ideas on the muppets in potc . What's the name of the shrimp creature? I like him. Muppets xmas with Michael caine was their best movie.

Pepe the king prawn. He and the old farts (Waldorf & Statler) are my favourites.
    Muppets would be awesome!

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Did Jack mention anything past Toy Story?

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from HomerEBW:

Did Jack mention anything past Toy Story?

Somebody had heard Avatar. Picturing a gorgeous, amazingly lit avatar game. Not a strong theme for me, but that game could be amazing and stunning.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Somebody had heard Avatar. Picturing a gorgeous, amazingly lit avatar game. Not a strong theme for me, but that game could be amazing and stunning.

Well Avatar 2 is supposed to come out December 16 2022. Strong chance that could be #8.

2 weeks later
    #94 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:I posted this over a year ago; I talked to Jack when I bought an arcade from him, and to his word, he said Wonka next, then GnR, then Toy Story; this was like 2 years ago; no reason to not believe him as he's been on the money with that call.

I hope this is correct! As an admittedly younger (second generation) collector, who grew up with these movies and went to Halloween as Buzz and Woody for several years in a row as a child, I am super excited at the prospects of them making one! Dare I say borderline desperate? haha

7 months later
    #95 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Before plans for next JJP pin get out of hand. Toy Story has been up to bat three times now.
    Toy Story - no Yellow Brick Woz. Toy Story - no Willy Wonka. Toy Story - no Guns and Roses.
    So only the powers that be know what is planned next. Assuming nothing changes, like when getting the Hobbit license shelved a couple rumored titles.
    LTG : )

Spoke with a tech at JJP and he confirmed Toy Story is in fact in white wood stages now. So it's confirmed.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from mtp78:

Out of all the JJP's Dialed in is my fav, I finally updated code to the latest last nite, Really a fun filled packed game.

Dialed In is a legit pinball machine for sure.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mrtattooz:

Spoke with a tech at JJP and he confirmed Toy Story is in fact in white wood stages now. So it's confirmed.

If true, that doesn’t seem to bode well for Toy Story bring next in line.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

If true, that doesn’t seem to bode well for Toy Story bring next in line.

First thing I thought.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mrtattooz:

If that is the case, then we might see another Eric pin next, and Toy Story is further behind than originally thought.
    If I'm not mistaken Eric was on the Super Awesome Pinball Show when they were interviewing him just after GnR was released, and he said his white wood for his next game is very fun to shoot. That was October 2020. By now it's safe to say he's a lot further than that.

1 week later
    #100 2 years ago

So what is the predicted timeline for toy story then? And also based upon GnR, what will pricing be for each model? And how do they do their roll outs(as in which model is produced first-last)? I remember hearing how bad it was when purchasing GnR machines so what is best recommended route for buying and how does it go?(first time jjp buyer, if in fact toy story is next)

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-game-7-toy-story-when-will-we-see-it/page/2?hl=anago and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.