images (resized).jpg
Robot arm (resized).jpg
batphone (resized).png
Gen X Rules (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
52f972cd-2bbd-45e8-94fc-3cddbce48214 (resized).jpg
4477085d-a467-4b9a-ba5a-490d6a97eaf1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1335 7 years ago

This almost went to Michael Jackson levels of fantasyland... Pat Lawlor is the MAN but good god what a horrible idea. Like someone else mentioned above, it somehow seems old and dated, even though it has tons more tech in it than anything Stern's doing... and the Stern stuff still seems fairly fresh.

I mean it with no disrespect to Pat who's arguably the greatest ever, but this kind of stuff makes you appreciate Steve Ritchie even more.

This is going to destroy any chance of anybody ever doing an unlicensed theme, ever again. Gary will use this as an example until the day he's dead, impossible for anybody to successfully pitch an unlicensed them if this bombs.

I wish the best for JJP their first two games were great, but I think Jack's about to learn what Gary already has: Sometimes games bomb and you lose a ton of money.

#1339 7 years ago
Quoted from farberstyle:

Price aside, I think this theme is perfect.
This is a theme that appeals to 95% of the population in the United States.
Everyone has a smartphone. EVERYONE.
ST is a great game, but how many people are Star Trek fans?
Medieval Madness is beloved, but how many people play it because they are history nerds with a hard-on Middle Ages?
If this game is fun, it will be a hit. If not its a dud. But don't hate on the theme because you aren't a phone nerd.
I am in the cell phone business and I think this would be the bomb dot com.

Can't tell if Sarcasm...

#1342 7 years ago
Quoted from farberstyle:

Nearly every person in this thread has a smartphone and uses it for banking, shopping, communicating with loved ones, taking photos etc.
You carry these things with you everywhere and flip out if it gets lost or broken. Cell phones are my business, I deal with y'all every damn day. You are ADDICTED to these things. You grab your keys, your wallet, your phone. You take it on the shitter, you use it as an alarm clock, you document your favorite memories on it.
Sure, you might hate your dependency on your phone, but hardly any of you used a smartphone for any amount of time and said "This is too much, I am happy with my Nokia bar phone."
Admit you love your phone and admit you love this theme.

I guess I love it as much as I love my car keys, and my wallet. Good point.

#1346 7 years ago

I hope all the optimism is right and it's as fun as his other games... the shots and everything look fine, but there's actually an annoying cell phone ringing during gameplay... cheesy voices that rank right up there with the hick from Stern's 'blue' period... I just don't see it happening with this one.

I think my first clue that something was awry was when he seemed elated, in a strangely condescending way that you could adjust the volume without opening the front door... That was about the time he stopped getting charitable applause...

#1352 7 years ago

Didn't Stern always say that licensing costs about $50 a pin? I think part of the sticker shock is people expected since it was non licensed it would be cheaper. Most businesses aren't in the business of making things cheaper, they're in the business of figuring out how to make things more expensive so I don't fault them for their price scheme (comparative to their other games, and Stern's games)... what blows my mind about the whole thing is how out of all the 100's of non licensed themes that are just no-brianers, they go with something like a cell phone game... and after he had done so many great unlicensed ideas in the past. And apparently he's been batting this idea around for 15 years?

#1520 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Uhh... its the opposite. The move to licensed themes was BECAUSE of location play and distributors. The point is to grab someone's interest based on the association with the IP and generate interest. When you gotta grab attention out of the crowd, you do it by dangling things the consumer is interested in or has an association with. Distributors had to buy stuff based on a sales pitch and maybe a flyer. Landing the next 'big thing' title helped with that.
Original themes continued on because teams felt they could still make games compelling enough to not need that tie-in... and as long as the games earned, Distributors and buyers kept the faith enough to buy the next one. When things tightened up and distros wouldn't buy with the same blind faith... licenses were the crutch to help sell the idea to land the sales.

There's an interview somewhere where Ritchie is talking about this, basically Williams relied on their strong sales of 1 title to convince the distributors to buy the next one, and it backfired several times...

#1522 7 years ago

Think of the time they must have put into the software alone on this game so far.

I honestly think it's going to bomb, but damn you've got to give them credit for at least getting it so fleshed out before the reveal. It shows they're going in an exciting direction, bad sales might derail it though especially with new 'owners' thirsty for profit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-game-3-to-be-shown-at-expo-in-3-weeks?tu=lyonsronnie1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.