images (resized).jpg
Robot arm (resized).jpg
batphone (resized).png
Gen X Rules (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
52f972cd-2bbd-45e8-94fc-3cddbce48214 (resized).jpg
4477085d-a467-4b9a-ba5a-490d6a97eaf1 (resized).jpg
There are 1,699 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 34.
#1451 7 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

I'm not Jack, are you insane? You think he has the time to post here at 6:40am?

Yes Jack Kaneda, he and you have been up all night!

I will be tuning into a podcast or five this weekend though

#1452 7 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

You really don't understand how businesses work. The investor is a material agreement to cut costs on building machines through parts distributors. You realize EVERY major firm in America has investors right? Microsoft, Kellog. Ya know what this is a waste of my time. You just want to be negative so you're going to be negative no matter what I say.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam id velit vitae elit vulputate efficitur nec non diam. Nunc sed est quam. In tristique, ante ac molestie egestas, justo dui molestie felis, vitae rhoncus metus nulla in libero. Donec sagittis malesuada suscipit. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia.
Pretend that says whatever you want it to, and then just argue against that.

Doesn't seem like you understand how business works.

Hobbit had a target date that it missed. Jack kept saying "we're starting soon!" Soon never came. August 2015, there's a huge cash infusion from the Florida investors. Shortly after, parts are finally being made for the game. December 2015, there's a new CEO.

Follow the money.

I'm a business owner. I would never ever, in any circumstance, bring on investors and cede control of my business.

#1453 7 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

waiting on JJP #4.........

Maybe it will be a Sinistar themed game. "I live!" "run, cowards"

#1454 7 years ago

Am I the only person that hates JJPs approach to backglass? Too much TV, not enough art that stands on its own imo.

#1455 7 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Maybe it will be a Sinistar themed game. "I live!" "run, cowards"

I would buy my first JJP!

#1456 7 years ago
Quoted from Bmorekrause:

Am I the only person that hates JJPs approach to backglass? Too much TV, not enough art that stands on its own imo.

You are not alone. Stern and Dutch are doing it right.

#1457 7 years ago

I doubt JJP lost any sleep in fact I bet they were fully prepared to ignore the pinside trolls.

Good for JJP and Pat for trying new things and trying to appeal to a new demographic. Good news for pinball.

#1458 7 years ago

I really have no doubt that the game is fun.
But theme and art are like a trailer for a movie - it's what makes you want to watch the movie of play the game.
This theme is just not doing it for me.

I just went back and looked at BM66 - wow - looks even better now after seeing this.

#1459 7 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

f2b (resized).pngf2b (resized).png

#1460 7 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

Jackneda, its 9:40 in Chicago, that's where you both are, remember?

Must have been an all night bender or you lost your watch.

#1461 7 years ago

For all the negative, here's the positive takeaway if there is one

1) I'm sure it will be a fun pin to play and Keith and Ted will make the code great, no doubt

2) Lighting and LCD are great, sounds are not

3) Big props for trying something way out of the box

#1462 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Jackneda, its 9:40 in Chicago, that's where you both are, remember?
Must have been an all night bender or you lost your watch.

8:40.

#1463 7 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

I doubt JJP lost any sleep in fact I bet they were fully prepared to ignore the pinside trolls.
Good for JJP and Pat for trying new things and trying to appeal to a new demographic. Good news for pinball.

But if there's one business where you NEED to please your EXISTING customers it's pinball.

I think the Quantum City decals need to be in production fast.

#1464 7 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

$40 million profit on WoZ alone is not knowing what you're doing. Okay.
You guys are delusional. No wonder so many well respected players and distributors say this place is a cesspool.

wow did WOZ bring them 40 million profit? Way to go JJP

I have to say I just got WOZ and it really is something to be seen.

#1465 7 years ago

From the thousands of themes this hobby has there is no way to predict a machines outcome based on its name. I think we have become accustom to licensed themes for the past many years so when this original title comes along we are a bit off balance. The only issue for me is the price...$9000!!! Too much right now. I own a small business and learned early in the research process that every business operates in 1 of 3 modes. It is up to the business owner to pick his M.O.

1)You can price high, stock low and shoot for big profits on every sale at the risk of another company under pricing you. (Limited Buyer)
2)Price medium, stock medium, balanced profits and cash flow. (Average Buyer)
3)Price low, stock high, operate at a high volume output. (All Buyers) This mode can have very high profits if managed correctly. Much better production discounts due to buying supplies in greater quantities. Often dominates markets and can provide an awesome cash flow which can often be more important than profit depending on your business structure!

There is nothing that prevents a large company from offering lower than average prices and still make money other than their capability to produce the product and capitalism!

#1466 7 years ago

soooooo, $2.00 per credit now? that's the only way i see operators paying these off on location.

no thanks, i'd rather play checkpoint or somthing else at the arcade for .50 cents. I could barely justify $1.00 per credit for the hobbit these days

#1467 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

But if there's one business where you NEED to please your EXISTING customers it's pinball.
I think the Quantum City decals need to be in production fast.

It's more than just decals.... there are inserts on the playfield D-I-A-L-E-D I-N

#1468 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

soooooo, $2.00 per credit now? that's the only way i see operators paying these off on location.
no thanks, i'd rather play checkpoint or somthing else at the arcade for .50 cents. I could barely justify $1.00 per credit for the hobbit these days

I was just thinking that. I would play a few games but probably find a different pin to play that's cheaper and still just as fun.

#1469 7 years ago

Sooooo... Who is pre-ording one of these?

#1470 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

It's more than just decals.... there are inserts on the playfield D-I-A-L-E-D I-N

Yeah, but don't need game name on a p/f.

So, p/f could be left the same. Just decals/backbox.

Easy enough to do.

#1471 7 years ago

It would not be a big deal - 'dialed in' is a big feature of the game, so no need to change the inserts or decals. Just a new apron and a new backbox frame with an exciting, theme-friendly name would solve the problem nicely.

#1472 7 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Explain the lottery ticket?? I didn't see that part.

Ok when u get the special after you complete a mode it will award lottery ticket. You have to wave your hand on front of the camra to scratch it off.

Pinside dont know shit. Finally something new and different. So people must hate it. Did any one even talk to pat lawlor? This game is going to be a home run. Tonight pat goes through every detail. Because pat said the details matter. They re-design the cabinet. To pack more into it.

#1473 7 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Ok when u get the special after you complete a mode it will award lottery ticket. You have to wave your hand on front of the camra to scratch it off.
Pinside dont know shit. Finally something new and different. So people must hate it. Did any one even talk to pat lawlor? This game is going to be a home run. Tonight pat goes through every detail. Because pat said the details matter. They re-design the cabinet. To pack more into it.

Thats awesome!!

#1474 7 years ago

Why do so many home owner and collectors mind the name of the game? Does another name make the game play better? Or do they need a popular licence to impress or convince their wife that this was the right thing to buy?

I can see that operators may want to have big names, but on the other hand, a theme like this might attract some otherwise not interested folks.

I also don't get the argument about the name of the game should tell you what to expect from it, moreover as the same guys recommend "Quantum City" as new/better title.

#1475 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Sooooo... Who is pre-ording one of these?

I don't know, not enough info... is it going to work with T-mobile or ATT? Does it come with a regular USB charger and case?

#1476 7 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

Why do so many home owner and collectors mind the name of the game? Does another name make the game play better? Or do they need a popular licence to impress or convince their wife that this was the right thing to buy?
I can see that operators may want to have big names, but on the other hand, a theme like this might attract some otherwise not interested folks.
I also don't get the argument about the name of the game should tell you what to expect from it, moreover as the same guys recommend "Quantum City" as new/better title.

Technically you're 100% correct. If this game didn't present so poorly I doubt the name would even come into play. Problem is it has so many problems and it's terrible name doesn't help.

#1477 7 years ago

Here's the problem for JJP. Pinball to people is primarily a joke/kids toy that people don't understand. They are no question the majority and the only real way you get them to pony up is for a familiar theme that pulls them into the game. That's why GB, TWD, Metallica will sell. That leaves us - the people on pinside that are no doubt the minority but love pinball. The reception here has been so bad that I'm concerned JJP will really suffer here. They won't get the everyday person. They'll have trouble getting us especially with that ridic price tag of 9k entry.

That would be my main concern right now if I'm them.

#1478 7 years ago

But does anyone say they are dialing the phone. Maybe in the sixties with rotary phones. It's like bringing out a pinball called "cigarette cards "

#1479 7 years ago

Q-U-A-N-T-U...shit not enough letters.

#1480 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Here's the problem for JJP. Pinball to people is primarily a joke/kids toy that people don't understand. They are no question the majority and the only real way you get them to pony up is for a familiar theme that pulls them into the game. That's why GB, TWD, Metallica will sell. That leaves us - the people on pinside that are no doubt the minority but love pinball. The reception here has been so bad that I'm concerned JJP will really suffer here. They won't get the everyday person. They'll have trouble getting us especially with that ridic price tag of 9k entry.
That would be my main concern right now if I'm them.

You have hit the nail on the head. This is a loser with everybody.

#1481 7 years ago

After taking a closer look at some of the videos, the game looks like it shoots good and has some cool features, I'm just not sure I can get past the theme and the price point is above what I'm comfortable spending. I mean I make a decent money, but I'm not wealthy. So getting in that 9k-10k range starts to wane my interest personally. If this is the becoming the new standard for pricing, I may be soon out of the NIB group. Heighway may have the future model I can work with in that kits create a new game for 4-5k.

#1482 7 years ago

This whole thread is Pat Pat Pat.... but it's Pat, Pat will do a great game.

Does every person here love every game Pat Lawler ever did? Of course he's made some classics, but he's made some not so classic games as well. Does everyone here love CSI? How about Rollercoaster Tycoon? Nascar?

All I'm saying is, Pat is just a designer, and Dialed In is just a game. Like every designer and every game, sometimes they turn out well, sometimes they don't. I think the "hype" (or daydreaming) was unrealistic. Just because it's made by Pat Lawler and Jersey Jack doesn't mean it will be what you're looking for.

These prices are just based on hype. The next games price will be a reflection on the game that came prior. The same people bitching about the price on Pinside are usually the ones who end up owning it.

I don't love the theme, but it's 100 times better than another damn super hero or some Sci-Fi BS.

#1483 7 years ago

Why would anyone want to preorder one? Maybe the biggest mistake was 6999 LE's... are you serious? What incentive is there to order one? They will be available forever and a day! They should have done 699 LE's and then did a lesser model at a cheaper price.

#1484 7 years ago

The LCD screen on the playfield is kind of a cheap Rudy head where characters tell you what to do.

#1485 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

After taking a closer look at some of the videos, the game looks like it shoots good and has some cool features, I'm just not sure I can get past the theme and the price point is above what I'm comfortable spending. I mean I make a decent money, but I'm not wealthy. So getting in that 9k-10k range starts to wane my interest personally. If this is the becoming the new standard for pricing, I may be soon out of the NIB group. Heighway may have the future model I can work with in that kits create a new game for 4-5k.

+1000 ... and the giant lady robot in the back just looks weird. Who would create a giant robot, and then put a cap and overalls on it?

#1486 7 years ago

The problem I have with the name and theme is they both just seem forced and misapplied. Reminds me of my dad showing off his dance skills to public enemy when I was a teen. If the game plays great a few changes could make a big difference though.

#1487 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Why would anyone want to preorder one? Maybe the biggest mistake was 6999 LE's... are you serious? What incentive is there to order one? They will be available forever and a day! They should have done 699 LE's and then did a lesser model at a cheaper price.

Agree. If he had gone 699 LE ( and no more later ) Pat Lawlor game he would have shifted them straight away just from fans. Then standards on top. Now he might struggle with 699 altogether.

#1488 7 years ago

So two numbers that stuck out to me were when Jack said they are making 15 games per week right now of the Hobbit with and he will sell 6999 LE's of Dialed In. At that rate, it would take nearly 9 years to build all the Dialed In's if they exclusively built that. Maybe they can build at a faster rate, I don't know and I'm not going to speculate. Coincidentally, the iPhone debuted about 9 years ago.

Regarding the 6999 pins, the last games to get produced at that level (according to IPDB) were WCS and DM (both 1994); RFM was nearly at 7000, so count that too. Granted, Stern production numbers aren't in the IPDB, but it does list LOTR at about 5000 games (plus another 500 LEs).

Obviously, Pat Lawlor games have blown the 7000 number out of the water a number of times. Regardless, just going by the available numbers, it's been 17-22 years since a pin was released that was produced at the 7000 game level. Not saying it can't be done, and that is a lot of freaking games to move at $9000.

Hope it all turns out well because, like a lot of people, I definitely dig on competition, original themes, and innovation in the pinball world. I'd definitely would love to play Dialed In, hopefully they are out in the wild next year.

#1489 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

The whole manufactured LE/collectible pinball thing has jumped the shark over the past couple of days and as soon as JJP and Stern realize this, the better off they will be. The only reason I would give someone a deposit for this game would be to get it earlier than another party.

#1490 7 years ago
Quoted from farberstyle:

Nearly every person in this thread has a smartphone and uses it for banking, shopping, communicating with loved ones, taking photos etc..

We all use TP and toilets too... doesn't mean that's what we want to be the story/theme around which we build a 9k toy.

#1491 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

The whole manufactured LE/collectible pinball thing has jumped the shark over the past couple of days and as soon as JJP and Stern realize this, the better off they will be. The only reason I would give someone a deposit for this game would be to get it earlier than another party.

At least Stern is reasonable about a limited product... I mean don't get me wrong I think both Stern and JJP are both out of hand but if you're going to actually call something an LE or SLE please make it somewhat limited... 6999! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1492 7 years ago

Electronica != midi

The daft punk soundtrack is awesome

#1493 7 years ago

I am a person, stupid or not, that will pay for a "collectible" pinball machine that has a GREAT theme that i love and plan to keep and enjoy forever!!!

BM66 qualifies for me.

6,999 does not.

So if you Stern guys or JJP guys or anybody else is reading this. I am one of your LE targets, with great themes, that is willing to pay ridiculous money.

80 or 240 done right, works for me. So does the premium and the pro

#1494 7 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

$40 million profit on WoZ alone is not knowing what you're doing. Okay.

And this is the guy telling us we don't know about economics?

The guy claiming 40 million PROFIT on a project years late... who can't do the math to see just how ludicrous that claim is?

Can we get a shill clean-up aisle 5 please?

#1495 7 years ago

So did Pat spend two years redesigning the JJP platform.. and a year designing a game?

The game reveal reminds me of Ripleys... A game packed with features and toys... yet most can't get over the visuals and theme and the game has an uphill slog from the get-go.

People want original themes... but they gotta 'work'. Just being original on its own isn't enough.

Let's hope there is some gameplay and cool tricks in this thing... but those prices put a double-whammy on all of this.

#1496 7 years ago

Just read Pat's comments on Pinball News ......"He said designing an original theme is the most dangerous thing in the business as, if the player didn't get what they were trying to convey, they had wasted several years of their lives."

They definitely lost several years in my opinion!

#1497 7 years ago

After watching the gameplay video I'm pretty impressed- the game looks very fun with a lot of shit going on. No doubt something like this would be my kids favorite in my small collection, just like Hobbit is.

Even watching the video, the biggest problem is that this is a $9,000 - $12,500 toy geared to kids. I like the home playing experience, and not location play- so the price of these machines need to make sense. At these prices, I'm simply not purchase a machine unless it's a "dream theme" like Ghostbusters was to me.

For JJP to expect people to drop that kind of cash on a game that doesn't have a desirable theme, is extremely risky. Unique themes worked in the 80's and 90's because people only played games on location, and they weren't revealed like this to home collectors and only a few remaining ops.

Jack is going to need to re-think this big time. Especially the price. There's no damn way people are going to drop $9K on this. $6500-7K, I might consider it. But at $9K, we'll start seeing steep depreciation from NIB prices for sure. I bet I'd have a hard time dumping it at $7500 on the second hand market after I crack the box open. No thanks Jack. I have to say it very disappointed that he clearly raised the prices just because Stern is doing it.

#1498 7 years ago

Yes the price really is the killer on this one. It could have worked at that price with Pat Lawlor great theme great gameplay. But it had to tick all the boxes because at these prices if it doesn't you would likely lose several thousand on it's value in a year.

#1499 7 years ago

The more I read these threads it seems the ones that quite like it won't pay the money and the ones that could pay the money don't like it.

#1500 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

have to say it very disappointed that he clearly raised the prices just because Stern is doing it.

I doubt that. Note that both Stern and JJP have outside investors. jack isn't even CEO of JJP anymore (if you didn't catch it, jack had a lot of people to thank at the beginning).

In my opinion, the price reflects these folks making their money back (bail out for whatever ditch woz and hobbit got him in financially), and then a profit on some near term time horizon. Price also probably reflects lower demand already built in.

I guess, just trying to say that calling it greed is a bit oversimplified.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 91.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 1,699 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-game-3-to-be-shown-at-expo-in-3-weeks/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.