(Topic ID: 213434)

JJP Dialed In Sim Card Hole: How do you hit it?

By danastude

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by AFM95
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I love my new DI. Have no regrets on it's purchase. However, hitting the sim card has aggravated me. The obvious shot is with the upper left flipper. I have tested this with the glass off, and still found it to be a 1 in 20 shot. I have had better luck with ricochets off the left phone scoop post, and right theater stand-up. Triggering multi-ball is an obvious help. Beyond the "how much my pinball skills suck" responses I am sure to get, any other thoughts or opinions for hitting this shot?

#2 1 year ago

Pure luck. If you watch the Bowen tutorial, he can’t hit it either, pure luck. Only way to make it on my game is to bounce it off something.

#3 1 year ago

Goes in a bit easier with the upper flipper if you turn the power down a bit. Have to balance it with the ability to make the ramp easy though.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Pure luck. If you watch the Bowen tutorial, he can’t hit it either, pure luck. Only way to make it on my game is to bounce it off something.

I usually try to start multiball and start bouncing them of the targets left and right
of Eistein theatre

#5 1 year ago

Wit or witout the protector? It's supposedly easier with the no protector or with the flatter Cliffy. The JJP protector rises a few mm above the wood.

I also think changing the rubbers on either side of the shot could help. Switch to 23/64 or whatever the smallest ones are.

But in all my tweaking I've only seen it go in from a direct upper flipper shot a handful of times. I can make the shot more consistently bouncing it off the drone standup, or trying to bounce off the left side of the quantum theater shot.

#6 1 year ago

I changed the mini post rubbers from 7/16" OD ( fitted ) to 3/8" OD ( the size that's fitted to the inlane/outlane posts ) only a small difference but I believe it's increased my sim hole success.

#7 1 year ago

I hit mine pretty regularly and hit the SIM shot at the 2 at TPF also when i played them. It is a very tough shot.

#8 1 year ago

I use the upper right flipper and bounce it off the left theater target. The shot is more open from that angle.

I also set my sim card memory to on. So once I light it, it stays lit for that game. Increases how much I get to shoot at by quite a bit.

#9 1 year ago

Can you post a pic of this shot?

#10 1 year ago

I hit mine pretty regularly when i dont need to lol..... hit it 4 times in a row the other day . Its a,tough shot but can be done.

#11 1 year ago

I seem to hit it a lot when I don't need it.

#12 1 year ago

“From The back “

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Wit or witout the protector? It's supposedly easier with the no protector or with the flatter Cliffy. The JJP protector rises a few mm above the wood.

A few mm, are you crazy? It's 0.0035 inch thick that's about 0.09mm. Cliffs are thinner at about 0.001"

#14 1 year ago

I can’t hit that damn shot directly EVER. It’s so frustrating. I’ve decided I am going to remove the cliffy altogether. The cliffy is even preventing roll ins. When I first got it and had no protection, I was hitting the shot a lot more often, either on purpose or with a dribble in from the top. I’m just going to Mylar the edges. I find I don’t play it as much cuz I just HATE how tough that shot is *argh*.

#15 1 year ago

Bank shot: lower left flipper off the vertical part of the drone area rubbers.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Bank shot: lower left flipper off the vertical part of the drone area rubbers.

This is often how I attempt it as well

#17 1 year ago

I recently started hitting it more often by turning down the power a bit for the upper right flipper (still able to hit the lock ramp easily) and shooting early off the upper right flipper so it hits the left "Ticket" stand up (by the theater) and bounces into the SIM hole.

#18 1 year ago

bank off the left side of the big bang target

#19 1 year ago

Does it have the JJP installed protectors installed? I recently swapped them out for the Cliffy version and I find it easier to hit both scoops now.

#20 1 year ago

I hate to say this , BUT, it is the only down fall of the game.
Unless you re drill the posts, it is a a fxxker. Either Pat designed it this way or a manufacture f up by JJP?

#21 1 year ago

When the post rubber above the SIM CARD hole broke on my machine, I discovered that the shot's a _lot_ easier without it. Try it for a while without it.

2 months later
#22 11 months ago

Bumping for more information:

For those who have turned your power down for the upper right flipper, what is your setting at?

Any feedback in the last three months from anyone else who has had success hitting the SIM Card shot?

#23 11 months ago

The 2 bank shots suggested above are the ones that most consistently go in for me - but even that's a pretty low percentage...

#24 11 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The 2 bank shots suggested above are the ones that most consistently go in for me - but even that's a pretty low percentage...

I'm typically banking it off the left target of the theatre with the right flipper or getting lucky with some bounces.

Obviously it's extremely important from a scoring standpoint to collect the SIM Cards, but man, that shot is one of the most frustrating in pinball.

#25 11 months ago

I try most of the banks noted.
Its a little safer when the QED guy is moved over to the right a bit but not right under the theater to block SDTMs on misses.
Seems like it’s best to keep throwing a whole bunch of shots at it and then play defense to avoid drains off the richochets.

Right/Left Flipper Banks off of the Left Theater Ticket Target.
Right Flipper Banks off the right Ticket Target.
Drone richochet from Left Flipper
Phone Scope Left post richochet

Loop through the theater and upper right Flipper. If the loop through is not too fast it seems like you can make the shot (at times) and it feels great...similar feel to the TZ Piano shot. I think in this case the flipper is contacting the ball a little higher up and it goes in perfectly.

It’s also great when you make the final shot on Meteor via the Left Ticket Target and it banks in and claims the SIM card before it was even able to reward it. This can also work with Big Bang if you are lucky.

Very challenging and frustrating...I haven’t set my SIM card to carry over yet. Most I have had is three. Getting them a little more often now.

#26 11 months ago

Still think you should be able to use Big Bang outside of a mode/MB to collect Sim Card.
But hey, some games just kick you in the nuts again & again.

#27 11 months ago

But it is really satisfying when you can get it. I guess that’s why they give you the option of the ball to ball carry over.
I think with Big Bang claiming a SIM card it might make the game too easy.

#28 11 months ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

But it is really satisfying when you can get it. I guess that’s why they give you the option of the ball to ball carry over.

How about make the hole, and you get any you have stacked, make big bang you only get one if there is a stack waiting.

#29 11 months ago

Accidentally

#30 11 months ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

I can see both sides for sure.
I would ask how many BB do you get in an average game though? How many hits do you have to waste to get it lit each time? Factor that in with how many times you blow the goddamn thing when you don't want to. Is 1 sim card worth not finishing a mode you could use the BB in? Is it worth a mode & all the jackpots lit?
I have no idea on any of these. My assumption is you'd probably average 1-2 more sim cards a game honestly.

Quoted from Marvin:

How about make the hole, and you get any you have stacked...

Goddamned stacked Sim cards...what a soul crusher. Have you heard me tell the story of getting 4 stacked Sim cards? Becasue it;'s probably my greatest achievement in life

#31 11 months ago

I find the easiest way to consistently collect the SIM card is by banking shots off of the blue stand ups in front of the theatre or the drone shot.

#32 11 months ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I find the easiest way to consistently collect the SIM card is by banking shots off of the drop targets or the drone shot.

The drop targets huh

#33 11 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The drop targets huh

Im assuming he meant the stand ups.

2 weeks later
#34 10 months ago

I have been playing my DI exclusively for few months now, the SIM card shot is just a disaster. I have a bunch of pins and am a decent player but the SIM shot is just way too important to have to use luck to get it. The energy and time it takes to bounce things around in the hopes that it somehow falls into the hole is just a complete distraction from playing the game. I cannot imagine that it was planned to be like this by someone like Lawlor, the geometry is simply off a hair. It really is a disappointment, especially now that I replaced the hole protectors with Cliffys and still have the same experience. I have 30 games up and running but never experienced this kind of flaw in any other game. a shame.
I was wondering if a slightly shorter/longer right upper flipper would be enough to make the shot.

#35 10 months ago
Quoted from Robo1:

I have been playing my DI exclusively for few months now, the SIM card shot is just a disaster. I have a bunch of pins and am a decent player but the SIM shot is just way too important to have to use luck to get it. The energy and time it takes to bounce things around in the hopes that it somehow falls into the hole is just a complete distraction from playing the game. I cannot imagine that it was planned to be like this by someone like Lawlor, the geometry is simply off a hair. It really is a disappointment, especially now that I replaced the hole protectors with Cliffys and still have the same experience. I have 30 games up and running but never experienced this kind of flaw in any other game. a shame.
I was wondering if a slightly shorter/longer right upper flipper would be enough to make the shot.

Take the rubber off the post directly above the hole.

#36 10 months ago

Also, keep in mind the game was designed and tested WITHOUT the edge protectors. Without them the SIM shot is pretty consistent.

So, it’s up to you - what’s more important: chips in the clear or more consistent shots?

#37 10 months ago

I think you guys are missing the point. The shot is supposed to be really hard. I have mine set to carry over. You should be heavily rewarded for making the shot. I could see it being easier if it doubled scores for a limited time and you could stack it with another mode but on factory settings it doubles almost everything for the rest of the ball.

#38 10 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I think you guys are missing the point. The shot is supposed to be really hard. I have mine set to carry over. You should be heavily rewarded for making the shot. I could see it being easier if it doubled scores for a limited time and you could stack it with another mode but on factory settings it doubles almost everything for the rest of the ball.

I'm only agreeing with you because of your sweet avatar. It was a sad day when that Baywatch sale ad expired. I'm kind of in a weird place at the moment, not knowing where to post my memes.

Back to the topic, it is crazy hard to hit. And you're right, for how much it's worth in the game from a point perspective and multiplier, it should be hard to hit.

It would be incredibly cool for someone to interview Lawlor about the game and ask about the Sim Card shot. Maybe the interview has already been done?

#39 10 months ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I'm only agreeing with you because of your sweet avatar. It was a sad day when that Baywatch sale ad expired. I'm kind of in a weird place at the moment, not knowing where to post my memes.

It was literally the only thing keeping me going in the morning at work. I'd open it up every morning during downtime and just crack up. Now it is gone I don't know what to do.

#40 10 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

It was literally the only thing keeping me going in the morning at work. I'd open it up every morning during downtime and just crack up. Now it is gone I don't know what to do.

Completely understand. I don't think we'll see another thread like that for a long time.

I might give it a few months before I read it again.

In regards to the Sim Card shot, I hit four last night!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
$ 9,000.00
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
$ 8,000.00
$ 399.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside