6690295D-6B26-4168-BF36-728C3F7A93BF (resized).jpeg
B30B0206-3157-4481-B096-CD03C6533689 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20210418_234840159 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210418_234827008 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210418_234821796 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210418_234745631 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210418_234757246 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210418_234807489 (resized).jpg
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can get power from the cable that plugs into PWR1 and tapping the 12v lead with an ATX style power supply connector (yellow, but some of the cables coming off this are all black, now, so no yellow/red, you just have to know the yellow position in that case).

Awesome! Makes total sense.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Alrighty gentlemen. The parts have all arrived and I got to testing. Here's the setup:
LCD driver - T.M3663.81 (find on AliExpress)
Panel - AU Optronics M270HW02 (find on Aliexpress OR rip one from an IdeaCentre A270)
DC Adapter - 12V 5A
Panel looks boss. Pictures don't really do it justice and the lighting is different. But the replacement panel has real black. It's awesome. I need to figure out a way to mount the new LCD driver and supply power. I'm not sure what the DC power supply in the machine is rated. I want to say it says 10V on the custom chassis.
Note: I haven't tested whether the JJP controller can drive this thing. If so, then this project just got really easy.
I'll keep you posted. For me, my mind is made up seeing them in person and the replacement wins.
[quoted image][quoted image]

So I’m at the same place you are, but the problem I had is that the bezel on the new monitor is so much smaller, it doesn’t mount properly in JJP’s mount. Have you tried this yet? I think I could make a part (bracket or print) to make it fit.

As for mounting the controller board, I agree with your PM, to just route the hdmi cable in there and mount the board with a 3D print, or post sleeves with double sided tape. Won’t be pretty but who cares.

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

So I’m at the same place you are, but the problem I had is that the bezel on the new monitor is so much smaller, it doesn’t mount properly in JJP’s mount. Have you tried this yet? I think I could make a part (bracket or print) to make it fit.
As for mounting the controller board, I agree with your PM, to just route the hdmi cable in there and mount the board with a 3D print, or post sleeves with double sided tape. Won’t be pretty but who cares.

What is your panel model number? I haven't tried going into the JJP bracket yet.

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

What is your panel model number? I haven't tried going into the JJP bracket yet.

1PC new M270HVN02.0 All-in-one PC screen 27 inch LCD screen

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Are the bezels removable? I remember ordering replacement panels for laptops and typically you would have to remove the bezels and swap them over to the new panel in order to install.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from Kare9:

Are the bezels removable? I remember ordering replacement panels for laptops and typically you would have to remove the bezels and swap them over to the new panel in order to install.

Bezel might not be the right word. The silver metal surrounding the screen and I do not believe they are removable. I posted a picture a few back I believe showing the issue.

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Bezel might not be the right word. The silver metal surrounding the screen and I do not believe they are removable. I posted a picture a few back I believe showing the issue.

Sooooo. I popped in the new panel. It's daytime, so I figure I'll wait for the sun to go down. I used my NEW panel and the OLD board.

In the meantime, I take JJP panel and pop it into an old office machine that I'm going to resurrect as a headless server (now with head maybe). Anyway, I notice the JJP panel looks pretty damn sweet. Hmmmm.

Sun goes down. Guess what? Display looks as bad as it did before! Turns out it's looking like the driver.

I pop new driver (one I said above) in. Looks great. Great I say. One problem. Display doesn't power on when the machine powers on. I have to hit the "on" button on the board. Good gravy.

Now I'm back to either (1) finding a new driver board or (2) finding a hack to turn it on when the CPU power rail fires up. The takeaway is JJP probably shipped an okay panel with a sucky board. I'm off to aliexpress. At least I fixed my office machine.

RobbyIRL5 what's going on with your world? Did you get that bezel sorted?

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Sooooo. I popped in the new panel. It's daytime, so I figure I'll wait for the sun to go down. I used my NEW panel and the OLD board.
In the meantime, I take JJP panel and pop it into an old office machine that I'm going to resurrect as a headless server (now with head maybe). Anyway, I notice the JJP panel looks pretty damn sweet. Hmmmm.
Sun goes down. Guess what? Display looks as bad as it did before! Turns out it's looking like the driver.
I pop new driver (one I said above) in. Looks great. Great I say. One problem. Display doesn't power on when the machine powers on. I have to hit the "on" button on the board. Good gravy.
Now I'm back to either (1) finding a new driver board or (2) finding a hack to turn it on when the CPU power rail fires up. The takeaway is JJP probably shipped an okay panel with an absolute dogs**t board. I'm off to aliexpress. At least I fixed my office machine.

What does the driver board look like? Is the "ON" button surface mount? Seems like a switch bypass should be possible. Do you have a high-res picture of the board?

#109 3 years ago

Sounds very promising thanks for be doing this

Quoted from happyclan:

Now I'm back to either (1) finding a new driver board or (2) finding a hack to turn it on when the CPU power rail fires up. The takeaway is JJP probably shipped an okay panel with a sucky board. I'm off to aliexpress. At least I fixed my office machine.

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Display doesn't power on when the machine powers on. I have to hit the "on" button on the board.

Did you look through the settings menu? You may be able to change the power on behavior.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Did you look through the settings menu? You may be able to change the power on behavior.

Good idea but no setting.

Quoted from PinMonk:

What does the driver board look like? Is the "ON" button surface mount? Seems like a switch bypass should be possible. Do you have a high-res picture of the board?

here you go @pinmonk. anything we can do on the control buttons?

PXL_20210418_234745631 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234745631 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234757246 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234757246 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234807489 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234807489 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234821796 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234821796 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234827008 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234827008 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234840159 (resized).jpgPXL_20210418_234840159 (resized).jpg
#112 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Good idea but no setting.

here you go PinMonk. anything we can do on the control buttons?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm assuming that the power button is a momentary button that triggers a transistor, that turns on the power. So *maybe* just bypassing the transistor (not on the control board, the other board) just lets the power flow freely whenever the pin is powered on.

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm assuming that the power button is a momentary button that triggers a transistor, that turns on the power. So *maybe* just bypassing the transistor (not on the control board, the other board) just lets the power flow freely whenever the pin is powered on.

More likely it's all done with the magic of software inside the main chip.

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

I haven’t worked on it.

I have it all ready to, but bought a replacement monitor from JJP so now my experimenting is just for fun (or until I need another). I can pretty easily figure out if it will auto power on though if that would be helpful, see if my control board is different.

I don’t think the original JJP board will be compatible with the new monitor which has that 6-pin plug.

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

More likely it's all done with the magic of software inside the main chip.

Mmm. I dunno. The mpu still has to open a gate somewhere to let the power through. If you bypass the switch and software entirely and just work on the "gate" it opens, it should be possible. My only concern would be surges at power on since it wouldn't have any delay when the machine was powered on.

EDIT: According to a similar-looking board, there is apparently an "always on" setting on the menu. Once you set that, it will turn on at power.

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Mmm. I dunno. The mpu still has to open a gate somewhere to let the power through. If you bypass the switch and software entirely and just work on the "gate" it opens, it should be possible. My only concern would be surges at power on since it wouldn't have any delay when the machine was powered on.
EDIT: According to a similar-looking board, there is apparently an "always on" setting on the menu. Once you set that, it will turn on at power.

PinMonk do you have a link to that board? I'm worried that Always On just means no standby...because that's most of what i've found but honestly haven't been working on this too much.

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

PinMonk do you have a link to that board? I'm worried that Always On just means no standby...because that's most of what i've found but honestly haven't been working on this too much.

I don't sorry - I didn't save any links. I found it searching around alibaba using the markings from the board you pictured. One of them had a PDF instruction link in English/Chinese. It seemed pretty straightforward. I'd just try setting the menu to that and see if it comes on with power every time.

2 months later
#118 2 years ago

Update. I don't care anymore about this work. I'm going to play my WW for a year and dump it on the market. It's a fun pin. It just doesn't connect with my soul.

Here's a "get started quick" kit if you want it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/117525

#119 2 years ago

Bummer - thanks for digging in. Not many connect with my soul…

Quoted from happyclan:

Update. I don't care anymore about this work. I'm going to play my WW for a year and dump it on the market. It's a fun pin. It just doesn't connect with my soul.
Here's a "get started quick" kit if you want it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/117525

2 months later
#120 2 years ago

I tried the hp 27f and it fits perfectly. Beautiful colors and good black

4B4BD9E0-959F-4372-9BC4-0DC34E6E97F5 (resized).jpeg4B4BD9E0-959F-4372-9BC4-0DC34E6E97F5 (resized).jpeg6690295D-6B26-4168-BF36-728C3F7A93BF (resized).jpeg6690295D-6B26-4168-BF36-728C3F7A93BF (resized).jpegB30B0206-3157-4481-B096-CD03C6533689 (resized).jpegB30B0206-3157-4481-B096-CD03C6533689 (resized).jpegCE293F68-5F0B-4ED2-9DF2-515D108EF58C (resized).jpegCE293F68-5F0B-4ED2-9DF2-515D108EF58C (resized).jpeg
#121 2 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:I tried the hp 27f and it fits perfectly. Beautiful colors and good black[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

looks great - is it easy to hook up? Anything else we need besides the hp27f to hook it up?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#122 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

looks great - is it easy to hook up? Anything else we need besides the hp27f to hook it up?

yes

something like this to power it up

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071GH3SBY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00

and i mount it with something like this , because there are no screws

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07TZ2TF7T/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_8SSK12Y9SKNMT2J2DQSP

you have to remove the metal brackets on the bottom of the backbox

2 months later
#123 2 years ago

Has anyone tackled replacing the 7" LCD?

I think that one is much worse in quality than the 27. I can live with the 27 after adjusting contrast/brightness, but the small one is just terrible.

#124 2 years ago

I agree - that would be an interesting replacement

Quoted from zaphX:

Has anyone tackled replacing the 7" LCD?
I think that one is much worse in quality than the 27. I can live with the 27 after adjusting contrast/brightness, but the small one is just terrible.

4 months later
#125 2 years ago

Did anyone ever have success replacing the lcd panel? I see that there are still some availability of the original/better panels that can be had.

4 months later
#126 1 year ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I tried the hp 27f and it fits perfectly. Beautiful colors and good black[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you have to drill holes in the back plastic to mount this to JJP swing arm mount? I don't see any HP 27F LCDs that have VESA mounts on them.

3 weeks later
#127 1 year ago

Did anyone ever have success replacing the lcd panel? I see that there are still some availability of the original/better panels that can be had.
</

5 months later
#128 1 year ago

Hey guys, it’s been a few months since last post and want to see if anyone solidified a solid (close to plug n play?) repalcement. My ~ 1 year old Wonka just got a strip of what looks like “dead” pixels in the top right corner. Looking for a replacement screen….

A9461D95-1625-4716-8C0C-29D4529B0BF5 (resized).jpegA9461D95-1625-4716-8C0C-29D4529B0BF5 (resized).jpeg

#129 1 year ago
Quoted from VinnyBlanc:

Hey guys, it’s been a few months since last post and want to see if anyone solidified a solid (close to plug n play?) repalcement. My ~ 1 year old Wonka just got a strip of what looks like “dead” pixels in the top right corner. Looking for a replacement screen….
[quoted image]

Are you sure it's in the screen? That looks like the foam came off and sagged down...

#130 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you sure it's in the screen? That looks like the foam came off and sagged down...

Exactly what I was going to say. Take off your backglass and you'll see.

#131 1 year ago

I wish it were that easy

1AC3E3BA-C1E9-43E5-914D-B2F19841BB45 (resized).jpeg1AC3E3BA-C1E9-43E5-914D-B2F19841BB45 (resized).jpeg863CD99C-269B-45A1-B843-9F265E47CD24 (resized).jpeg863CD99C-269B-45A1-B843-9F265E47CD24 (resized).jpegA89C28F5-5085-4C02-9083-257DC1A3FD47 (resized).jpegA89C28F5-5085-4C02-9083-257DC1A3FD47 (resized).jpeg
#132 1 year ago
Quoted from VinnyBlanc:

I wish it were that easy
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It might be the foam inside the LCD frame (hard to tell from the pics). LCDs don't usually fail like that, unless maybe there was some pressure put on the screen at that corner at an angle...

3 weeks later
#133 1 year ago

Does TGF have a different screen or is it still the GNR/Wonka one? Looks pretty good in the pictures I’ve seen.

2 months later
#134 10 months ago

I have some bad pixels on my monitor. If I order a Auo M270HVN02.0 panel off of eBay and use the boards and brackets off my monitor is that all I need?

#135 10 months ago

This is an old thread, so my memory is a little outdated on it, but I ordered boards and monitors (from China) and I believe I rebuilt a solution, but also ended up just getting a new one from JJP because it was way more challenging than it should have been to try to rebuild on my own.

#136 10 months ago

only replacement monitor JJP has is what they call TS/GNR screen at 600 US . They don't have any specs so not sure how to tell if this is a good monitor combo or not? I am also looking for a replacement for my POTC. Would not be fun spending 600 us on the type of screen I have in POTC currently.

#137 10 months ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

only replacement monitor JJP has is what they call TS/GNR screen at 600 US . They don't have any specs so not sure how to tell if this is a good monitor combo or not? I am also looking for a replacement for my POTC. Would not be fun spending 600 us on the type of screen I have in POTC currently.

If your POTC monitor is dead, I have a spare Micro Ray that shipped in an LE.

I've seen two different monitor types used on POTC:

1. The Micro Ray HDMI (which my LE shipped with.). It's fairly washed out looking.
2. Some other brand which connected via an HDMI/DVI adapter. This was in my friend's (now my) CE and I also spied a Standard on location with it. This one looks dramatically better.

I swapped my POTC Micro Ray because I couldn't get over how much better the other one looked.
Interestingly, Wonka shipped with Micro Ray but it looks good enough. Same for Guns I think.

I *would* like to change out the mini monitor on the Wonka though. That one is washed out and horrible.

#138 10 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If your POTC monitor is dead, I have a spare Micro Ray that shipped in an LE.
I've seen two different monitor types used on POTC:
1. The Micro Ray HDMI (which my LE shipped with.). It's fairly washed out looking.
2. Some other brand which connected via an HDMI/DVI adapter. This was in my friend's (now my) CE and I also spied a Standard on location with it. This one looks dramatically better.
I swapped my Micro Ray because I couldn't get over how much better the other one looked.
If your machine has a dead monitor, I am happy to send you this one.
However if you already have a Micro Ray in there that works and you're unhappy with it, look for a better replacement.
Interestingly, Wonka shipped with Micro Ray but it looks good enough. Same for Guns I think.
I *would* like to change out the mini monitor on the Wonka though. That one is washed out and horrible.

If you have any interest in selling the Micro Ray I’ll buy it.

4 months later
#139 5 months ago

i have a 2013 WOZ with a bad monitor (i think) do you think this would work as a replacement? Since they do not make the 26" one anymore...

https://twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_728&products_id=3538

3 months later
#140 64 days ago

Hey guys, I managed to Frankenstein a Samsung T35F and a cheap Harbor Freight mount to replace the junk monitor JJP put in my Wonka. Picture is 10x better. My original monitor went dead and JJP wanted $600 to replace it with another Alibaba monitor. No thanks.

The Samsung is a 14v so you can use the original 12v supply or use the service outlet. Costs around $150.

20240220_212840 (resized).jpg20240220_212840 (resized).jpg20240220_213417 (resized).jpg20240220_213417 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#141 50 days ago
Quoted from mtgedney:

Hey guys, I managed to Frankenstein a Samsung T35F and a cheap Harbor Freight mount to replace the junk monitor JJP put in my Wonka. Picture is 10x better. My original monitor went dead and JJP wanted $600 to replace it with another Alibaba monitor. No thanks.
The Samsung is a 14v so you can use the original 12v supply or use the service outlet. Costs around $150.

Looks great. Do you have pictures from the back? To see how you have mounted and connected ?

1 month later
#142 4 days ago
Quoted from mtgedney:

How is the new monitor holding up mtgedney ? Following up on this as I would like to see some pictures of the mount and the connections as well. Any chance of providing a link to the exact HF mount you used?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
11,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dracut, MA
$ 210.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 32.99
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 91.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-can-we-talk-about-replacement-lcds/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.