• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WoZ (resized).jpg
DP (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Had my heart drop out last night. I split buying a Dead Pool LE with my pinball mom, just recently. Last night, pulling playfield out to raise it, playfield f'ing dropped INTO THE damn cabinet... Holy mother of F...

What broke, lets find out last...

Pinball mom owned machines when she was young. JJP Wizard of Oz got us into Pinball home ownership. I know now, JJP has some safety features that made me over confident and a dangerous person around our new Stern LE.

Things WoZ set me up for failure on Dead Pool:

- You can leave balls in machine when lifting playfield as it has a gravity driven blocker on ball ejection hole

- When pulling playfield forward before lifting, a stopper prevents me from pulling playfield too far and is indication when to start lifting
-- On DP, this is what did me in. I was expecting lock to tell me I've pulled far enough. The playfield jumped the track into the cab

- The power is cut off to the playfield when coin door open on WoZ
-- DP caught me off guard in my over confidence thinking I could touch and clean at will with coin door open

- One person can super safe lift and lock WoZ head unit
-- Sure one person could do DP but not as swiftly. (EDITED) DP needs two bolts in back with 5/8 socket
-- WoZ just has a rotating clamp in back and its same tool I use to manual crank sink disposal

Coming from having a JJP machine into a Stern, I'm learning to stop, slow down, and reestablish my known knowns. Learning all the time. What's been your experience and what thoughts have you to share? Maybe you have a tip that may save me from my next accident?

SO ... Would you flippin' believe that NOTHING broke. I've inspected fairly close and tested manually with ball in hand, all the mechs. Need to still run computer driven tests. Sucker seems just fine, the subwoofer broke the playfields fall. Sorry to next DP owner you had to learn about this here, lol.

DP (resized).jpgDP (resized).jpgWoZ (resized).jpgWoZ (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

I haven't owned a DP but every other Stern from that era I've worked with, you only need two bolts in the back side of the cab, no need to remove the backglass?

My JP has a safety switch on the door, not sure when that started though

I saw that GnR now has full length support rails, which would protect the playfield even more if it were to be dropped, quite nice

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I haven't owned a DP but every other Stern from that era I've worked with, you only need two bolts in the back side of the cab, no need to remove the backglass?
My JP has a safety switch on the door, not sure when that started though
I saw that GnR now has full length support rails, which would protect the playfield even more if it were to be dropped, quite nice

They took away the interlock switch on the coin door but brought it back. A few of my Stern’s don’t have them but now they are doing them again.

#4 3 years ago

Reviewing comments, I went and double checked how head locks on Dead Pool. I have edited my post.

DP does not require me to take off back glass to lock head. BUT it is two bolts ya got spin spin spin in.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 3 years ago

RTFM. Not to be a jerk, but since you asked for tips to avoid the next accident...next time you do not understand how something works, read the manual. All this is covered. People treat the goodie bag as some sacred tomb which must not be opened. It's there for a reason. One reason is it contains the manual, which tells you how to safely set up your machine if you do not already know how.

That said...dropping a playfield into a machine sucks. Been there done that...multiple times even. Not exclusive to Stern though. Glad you didn't break anything. I have mostly been lucky, but I did manage to smash a cabinet woofer once.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

People treat the goodie bag as some sacred tomb which must not be opened.

They do, don't they?

I blame stupid toy collector culture......."it's MINT...still in the original packaging!!!"

#7 3 years ago

Jediturtle great feed back, thanks for letting me have it!

Totally, my over confidence worked against me. Appreciate you sharing you've done similar actions.

I have taken the goodie bag out and I've heard your claim of people leaving it in BUT how else do you put the playfield plastics on? You gotta take the bag out on Dead Pool for many decorative playfield plastics.

#8 3 years ago

I am glad your machine is alright . This is the best kind of experience, just enough to scare ya, but not enough to truly be detrimental

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Protection
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.00
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games
Pinball Machine
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-before-stern-close-to-dangerous?hl=ackerapple and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.