1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 269 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

g3 (resized).JPG
    G2 (resized).JPG
    G1 (resized).JPG
    henrylaugh (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    9948331D-F83B-417A-9AEC-186091AF0D91 (resized).png
    GNR (resized).JPG
    po (resized).jpg
    thumb-1920-431330 (resized).jpg
    pink-floyd-the-wall_3 (resized).jpg
    p (resized).jpg
    Pink-Floyd-Flowers-400x259 (resized).jpg
    ppoi (resized).png
    pppp (resized).jpg
    animalspigs (resized).jpg
    vinceneil (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Never said it was impossible. I asked for evidence, and it appears that there is only speculation. As for Pirates, I struggle to see Jack foregoing sales because of a new title. From what I've seen, heard and read, people are not interested in an old, worn-thin license. Stock with distros is revealing. I think the game is good, but I agree with most about the theme. I'd never spend that kind of money for it. GnR might be slightly better, but I'd wager Wonka and toy story will destroy it in sales. DI will probably do better. All of these themes are more neutral. As with all new pins, time will tell.

JJPPOTC is one of the most balanced, effective, and creative uses of license I've ever seen. Most licensed games rely in, and make you fatigued of their license hours in. POTC balances everything so amazingly well, the license serves as the perfect backbone for the table, sans audio/video fatigue.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm really glad you like it. I find the lack of assets, b-list actor callouts etc. to be pretty weak. Depp's face with no Depp integration is pretty awful too. They could have done an original pirate theme and done better imho. The old days of custom Star callouts are long gone.

Kevin McNally does all of the callouts, which are insanely numerous and offer variation too. He was Gibbs, the first mate, and the only actor/character to appear in all five films, other than Geoffrey Rush and Johnny Depp. Incredibly energized, mood fitting, and not intrusive or obnoxious at all.

As a home owner a lack of repetitive quippy clips, unlicensed music that's more varied and non conforming to a licensed theme, make this game ALL the more appealing. I feel the Hobbit has the best A/V theme integration pf any game ever, but man seeing those clips of Smaug over and over when locking balls, etc, and the over the top Gandalfesque voice actor made me place POTC as my urgent purchase.

I'm glad I like, love it too! I had similar reactions as you, but maybe watch the Deadflip stream with Eric, Keith, and Joe, and the high level gameplay possibilities are extraordinary.

1 week later
    #163 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I think you're actually supporting my point. A plain old pirate theme would have been just as good if not better. I've played the game a lot, so I'm not speculating. If it didn't have Johnny's stupid pirate face and was an original pirate theme, there'd be one in my collection. I love JJP, but I think they struggle with theme choice and implementation. Just my opinion, and I vote where it counts, with my wallet.

I don't think I am at all. I'm saying it works perfectly for me, so I bought one, and seemingly not nearly enough for you.

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

That's not what you said, but if that's what you meant, sure.

I went back and reread my initial reply. Basically said McNally does an amazing job. I love the minimal use of the license, and I find it a perfect balance of license and theme.

Either way, for me I'm fine with what the game is in it's current state. I wouldn't want extensive audio clips, and I'm really not sure how many modern pinball companies are clamoring or want to be clever enough for original themes. API has done some nice work with their first two unlicensed themes, and people still seem to shit on them.

8 months later
    #237 1 year ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Dude. You and everyone else know that production was cut SHORT by Jack in a case of the worse timing in 21st century pinball. All the pre-release disc-gate and trunk-gate hate was evaporating as people finally got hands-on and realized it was a masterpiece when Jack (still months behind in taking the temperature of the market) called it and canceled production. People wouldn't be paying $12,500 AND UP for a used LE and $20k AND UP for a CE if people weren't in love with the machine and demand was still strong.
    I still believe he will make more after GnR or Toy Story at YBR prices. There's too much jjPotC money still on the table.

I always feel like Jack is at the whim of many situations, and of course outside partnered ownership. I don't think he has the ability to just command and direct things solely on what he'd like. Marketplace attitudes, trends, bom, games being produced, licenses being difficult or running out, and someone else guiding the decision making.

I'm sure Jack would love to do many things in pinball. His energy is infectious and feels genuine. But he can only do so much within the restraints he has around him.

We shall see...

1 month later
    #264 11 months ago

Very weird. Doesn't seem to fit the tone well. Or sound good. It's a two-fer!

Thanks for posting it though!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    $ 99.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 39.95
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside