EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1932 Text from game flyer Posted by sevenrites (6 years ago)

Post #1973 Slide from presentation about code depth Posted by trunchbull (6 years ago)

Post #2036 Feature matrix and game photos side by side Posted by Guinnesstime (6 years ago)

Post #2066 Close up of animated topper Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2075 Barnacle armor photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2086 Close up photos of the playfield Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2087 More close up photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Close up of screen on apron Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2223 YouTube link for reveal stream Posted by KevInBuffalo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swimlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3042 6 years ago

I really hate to say it, but I think I am passing on this machine. Without the original score and theme song and actor clips/callouts, this just is not Pirates of the Caribbean. I could understand if this were a $6,000 machine. But, this is $9,000-$13,000 pin depending on which edition you buy! For that kind of money, you would have thought custom shoutouts from Johnny Depp or at least Geoffrey Rush or Orlando Bloom. Mr. Gibbs? Yeah, not doing it at all for me.

To answer a lot of people's questions from a legal and licensing perspective, it all comes down to money. I am sure JJP could have got the licensing rights to more video and actor's faces and voices, but it would have cost them more money on a per unit sold basis. Was it worth it? Who knows. Really only those in the discussions and the negotiations would know. But, for my kids, an alleged "POTC-themed machine" with no Jack Sparrow, no Geoffrey Rush (Captain Barbosa), no Orlando Bloom (no Orlando Bloom)...just isn't a POTC machine at all.

In truth, the theme is nonexistent...it is just as bad if not much worse than the Stern machine if only for the fact that the Stern machine I can purchase on the secondary market for $3,000-$5,000 without having to pay $9,000-$13,000K.

Personally, I can't help but feel this was a major oversight on JJP. If they couldn't get the rights at a decent price point, they shouldn't have attempted the machine. This feels like price gouging for a POTC-themed machine that really is not POTC at all. The music appears to be horrible -- slow, dragging and no link to the POTC original score. And, a few shoutouts from Mr. Gibbs and cabinet/playfield art does not a POTC machine make...it just doesn't.

Hopefully, they have time to fix this before release? But, I am definitely passing until I see what the final product looks like.

#3043 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I am looking forward to this game probably more than any since I got in the hobby in 2003.
I like a lot of shots/paths for the ball, and this certainly delivers and then some. I like the features of the game. I like that it will have custom callouts. I like the artwork. I like the creativity and seeing something new in a game with the moving playfield and the concentric spinning disks, etc... I like ramps that do multiple things. I like the physical ball ball lock that's also an inner orbit shot. Never playing the same game twice...I like that. I like the magnets. I like firing a cannon into another ship. I like the detail of toys in the game. I like the compass that tells you where to shoot. There is so much to like in this game to focus on.
I could be wrong, but I think the majority of people are going to have a blast with this game once they get it and won't be thinking about not hearing Johnny Depp or something else along those lines.

I truly hope you are right. However, I am more pessimistic on this.

I think the more likely scenario is that they are going to have tons of pre-orders for this thing based on the interesting looking playfield and the "Pirates" theme, only to find out after they set it up that it has no callouts, music or clips from the original score/films.

My guess? There are going to be dozens of these machines hitting the secondary market shortly after release regardless of how fun the gameplay actually is.

#3045 6 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

I can't imagine LOTR without character voices/callouts. How was Stern able to get all their assets? Was licensing different back in the day?

This.

And, to answer your question, no licensing itself was not any different. But, each licensing contract is going to be very unique -- and always has been. The question is, did JJP make the right call to develop a "POTC-themed" machine without the original theme song and callouts/clips from the most iconic actors in the franchise? Only time will tell. But, I for one am passing on this machine until I see a better effort and I can't imagine there are not more like me.

Really hard to justify spending $9K-$13K on a "fan" pin with no official IP other than cabinet/playfield art.

#3057 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

People will pay 9-13k, and just did for an unlicensed original theme only trusting the designers vision.
Let's admit it, this isn't the SW franchise.
I think JJP can and will work around it.
Looking forward to playing Eric's first game.

Oh, there is no question people will pay for it...at first. The question is how many of these original buyers actually recognize that there is no franchise IP in the machine other than cabinet art pictures?

And, to certain buyers, POTC is indeed just as big as the Star Wars franchise. To some die hard Disney and Johnny Depp fans, it is much bigger. And Dialed In (fun though it is), is JJP's lowest selling pin to date as I understand it. (Not that it is a bad game, just that there are a lot of buyers who purchase pins based on themes and not overall gameplay.)

To be honest, I think there are going to be a lot of original buyers of this machine (primarily POTC fans) who (once they recognize there is no more POTC theme in this machine than in the $5,000 Stern version), are going to unload it pretty quick. My guess is there are going to be quite a few people who buy this machine primarily if not exclusively for its theme who are going be disappointed -- especially if they are used to JJP integration on the level of the Hobbit or WOZ with respect to licensed materials. In many ways, this POTC seems several steps backwards.

From my part, I am waiting to see what the final product actually is before I buy. If they find a way to integrate the theme well, then I will probably buy it. If not, then I will certainly pass. (I am just one of those buyers who wants theme integration in addition to gameplay.)

#3060 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

That would be true (and might have happened) if most of the pinball crowd wasn't so hung up on a theme. A theme just sells because people know it. JJP has learned that with Dialed In. That is one great pinball machine but many people just discard it on behalf of the theme. Would the theme have been Sim City or something that is known worldwide many more people would gravitate to it.
I had the best example of that right here in my house as I had a friend over which did not care for DI at all. He was not even interested in playing it, but as he was here he of course did play it and kept playing it for some time. Now a week later he has one on order.
We should all remember that Medieval Madness is also themeless. Would somebody dismiss a MM because of the theme ? I do not think so. But what they do not know they do not like.

I think there are plenty of buyers new to pinball ownership that would and, in fact, do entirely dismiss MM simply because of its lack of an easily recognizable theme. Yes.

And, this is going to be the problem. For a lot of people who think they are getting a POTC machine with no POTC music, no Johnny Depp, no Geoffrey Rush, this could be a real disappointment.

#3061 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Wow, did you even look 2 minutes at the game ??? On the playfield there is the rotating map from the movies, you can choose from 20 (!!) different characters that are prominently featured in the movies, there is a effing Black Pearl on the playfield, many callouts are from a character that is in all of the POTC movies (and he has a great Pirate voice).
There is much more than only cabinet art to remind you of POTC.

Quoted from ronaldvg:

Wow, did you even look 2 minutes at the game ??? On the playfield there is the rotating map from the movies, you can choose from 20 (!!) different characters that are prominently featured in the movies, there is a effing Black Pearl on the playfield, many callouts are from a character that is in all of the POTC movies (and he has a great Pirate voice).
There is much more than only cabinet art to remind you of POTC.

I spent days looking at this...wanting to buy it actually because my teenage daughter is a HUGE POTC fan. I even showed it to her to get her take. Needless to say, she wasn't excited at all. In fact, she is the one who pointed out to me it was pretty lame there were no callouts from Johnny Depp or Geoffrey Rush and the music was not the easily recognizable theme song.

So, yeah, I will take that as a pretty good barometer that JJP didn't do near good enough with the theme on this one. (Of course, still holding out hope that what was seen at the expo was still very premature.)

(And, to be fair, I not a big fan of the new Stern Star Wars either, but at least they had enough common sense to put in the original music and score from John Williams. To a lot of fan buyers, that is going to be critical and I can't help that -- unless JJP fixes this, they will miss the mark.)

#3063 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Ok fair enough, but I do think there is more in the maschine than just the cabinet art

Agreed. I am exaggerating a little.

#3066 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

To be fair the latest releases from Stern and JJP are disappointing.
Both GOTG and POTC have zero call outs from the movies.
With prices as they are, it is getting easier and easier just to sit back and watch these games develop.
Then when code is done and HUO price is 20% cheaper, maybe buy.

Yep. This is my thought exactly. With no call outs from the films, no clips showing actor's faces, and no theme songs from the films, my thought is there are going to be a LOT of disappointed original buyers of these machines come this time next year. Enough you might just get one for much cheaper in a year from now.

Personally, I still hope that POTC is only half-baked and that JJP will add additional call outs, clips, music and video prior to initial release.

1 week later
#3103 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Is this true??? No voices from the movies allowed? That's a REAL problem on a $9500 game IMO...especially one with tons of "chapters"/modes. How the eff are they going to sound unique and how will the video clips work without sound??? Can't be true, right?

It is not just this, there is also no music from the original score of the films. I want to buy this game so badly, but I just can't do it. Maybe for a $7.5K game, but for a $9.5K game, there is just no way I could justify it. To be honest, I don't know how you have a pin based on all 5 films, but no callouts from anyone other than Mr. Gibbs, no video clips other than short bursts that do not show actor's faces, and no music from the original score.

Seems extremely odd to me. Either Disney truly is as difficult as people say in getting appropriate licensure, or JJP is looking to that as an excuse to cut corners where they shouldn't be cut.

(My money is on it being a little bit of both...)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.00
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swimlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4?tu=swimlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.