EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1932 Text from game flyer Posted by sevenrites (6 years ago)

Post #1973 Slide from presentation about code depth Posted by trunchbull (6 years ago)

Post #2036 Feature matrix and game photos side by side Posted by Guinnesstime (6 years ago)

Post #2066 Close up of animated topper Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2075 Barnacle armor photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2086 Close up photos of the playfield Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2087 More close up photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Close up of screen on apron Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2223 YouTube link for reveal stream Posted by KevInBuffalo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Toy Story? Muppets? Heck no. No kid's cartoon or puppet themes, please.

But Neverending Story is okay? That's VERY kiddie, and not a very good movie, compared to something like Toy Story.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

South Park with an optional kid setting. Would do well on location as well.

Just do Book of Mormon:The Pinball Adventure.

#240 6 years ago

JJP is likely following up WoZ with the trippy connected movie Zardoz! Each machine will come with a lifetime supply of LSD and red diapers.

1 week later
#284 6 years ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

Could have two software versions for a game one a pg ratting and the other an R rateing or even better you could switch the rateing in the settings menu .

Yeah, but that makes weirdness like Ghostbusters where you turn the language down and lose the PG-rated "Yes, it's true. This man has no dick." quote from the beginning of the (Spook Central?) mode. Ratings are subjective for a lot of language.

#306 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I was just as amazed as you would be. A fantastic movie from my childhood that I just can't be a part of; puke bad.
But again that's just me...I mean when my daughter is old enough I'll see it again for the first time. After she watches Watership Down & Rats of NIMH of course.
Sign me up I want to play ET...never did. Played a little of Indiana Jones (watched my brother play it all) and I'm ready now. Sometimes when I'm board I watch youtube vids of the walkthrough.
Sorry is this the confession board?

If you haven't already, read Ready Player One. Nostalgia bomb from the future.

#308 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Appreciate it but I'll have to wait for a movie...I don't read.

What a shame. It's a breezy, very enjoyable read you can finish in a few hours.

Spielberg's shooting it now, so you won't have long to wait, but the book will probably remain better. Some of the casting is already obviously wrong.

There is an audiobook version of it:
https://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-Ernest-Cline-2011-08-16/dp/B01LP2VZ82

1 week later
#321 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

The perfect theme that hasn't been done that would make a *killer* pin:
Big Trouble in Little China

Insta-buy for me from JJP if that happened.

#326 6 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

Loved that book. Can't wait for the movie!

Most of the casting is pretty great, but Art3mis is completely wrong unless she gains a WHOLE bunch of weight. I mean, she's literally described in the book as "Rubenesque" which is the opposite of Olivia Cooke (who is very attractive, just...wrong for the part).

#328 6 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

What about Friday the 13th,or maybe Saw? If they went with saw I think a few ball traps would be cool and to get them out you would have to make a choice between different options. I think Friday the 13th could be awesome with so many movies to draw from jjp could make the greatest horror pin ever.

I don't think JJP will ever pick something that niche. Jack is going for wide-appeal G or PG-rated pins for the whole family.

And has there ever been a great horror pin? RZ is the closest, but is not without its problems. Freddy is terrible. Maybe Tales from the Crypt? Nothing really stands out as a great pin in the horror space.

#330 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

RZ??? That is a turdfest!!!! TFTC is the horror winner hands down.

I dunno. The playfield art is awful, but I didn't mind the game. That said, I still wouldn't OWN one, but it's not bad to play.

#372 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

BRAM
STOKER'S
DRACULA
Nothing really stands out...c'mon.

Dracula is pretty tame compared to the other things mentioned like Saw and RZ stuff.

#383 6 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Well hell...why not take a stab at Star Wars for JJP #4 then...imagine that

A better world, that's for sure.

#385 6 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

Interesting post from "TheFamilyArcade"

The Mansions were a "family" too.

#403 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

And I'll say this about Magic Girl...she is so damn sexy! I really miss that element in today's games.
Although The Aerosmith "Love in an Elevator" MB animation is vintage pinball sex appeal.

Best animation in the game. Never skip it.

#436 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

The perfect theme that hasn't been done that would make a *killer* pin:
Big Trouble in Little China

Yep.

77a97c44c6ead8ccbba2fc5f94a16b5c728e2d4d (resized).jpg77a97c44c6ead8ccbba2fc5f94a16b5c728e2d4d (resized).jpg

#449 6 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

I still think a great theme would be Legend of Zelda. 3 side modes, 6 temples modes. Dark link battle mini wizard, Ganon wizard. Could collect sword, shield and bow to make modes worth more or give modes more shots. Sound effects and music (OoT) already exist. I could go on

The last time Nintendo licensed out Zelda, it didn't go so well...

1 week later
#494 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

pinballexpo.com
Chicago, 3rd week of October.
LTG : )

Perfect timing for the Stranger Things pin with the launch of Season 2.

#497 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Everyone knows it's POTC right?

Still praying it's not and they pull out Toy Story (or Harry Potter). One PoTC game is enough. Also, Princess Bride is dead to me now that Stern has it.

#500 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

sorry but why does everyone think it's POTC again? God I REALLY hope it isn't.

It's the strongest of the rumors that have been around for a long time by people that usually know. Toy Story is probably second-strongest. Harry Potter is wishes, I think, but would be fun.

#514 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Stern has Princess Bride? This saddens me.
Would have loved to see this get the JJP treatment.

Again...supposedly. But that's a theme I would LOVE to see JJP run with. So many possibilities.

#517 6 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Please for the love of God, no POTC. We don't need another one.

Dialed In was a very weird choice leading up to and in the reveal, and that turned out great, so I'm willing to give JJP the benefit of the doubt. But at this point my JJP PoTC hype meter is close to 0.

#528 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I'll give JJP a 100 if that's what they're doing and they pull it off. It takes some big brass balls for going toe-to-toe with POTC, of all Stern's fairly recent games. As someone said previously, Stern's POTC was a pretty solid effort and there are a lot of them out there right now. Lots of playfield interaction and such, the only missing part I can think of would be lack of a color screen. So, if it's JJP's next game, it's a pretty ballsy move, especially given Depp's drop in popularity and flop of the last movie. Better hit this one out of the park though, if that's the case.

It wouldn't be hard to top it since it's a pretty shallow/easy game with one cool toy (the ship with the poorly-designed rocking clutch that's broken on every location machine I've seen). But I'd still rather they did something else.

#536 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

That leaked email from way back that was correct about DI, mentioned POTC, Muppets and Toy Story so you gotta figure JJP have those licenses.

And that shoots a hole in the "JJP doesn't have a good relationship with Disney" thing. Those are three Disney properties.

#548 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

But DI is a breath of fresh air. Something original and new for once. When was the last time a major manufacturer made a non licensed theme? Stern in 2000 with Sharkey's shootout? Finally.

Not that long ago - Whoa Nellie.

#565 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Just throwing this out there. Who would like a Call of Duty style pin or Some kind of army themed pinball?
Thoughts?

Doubtful for JJP since they're shooting for the family market with the widest possible demos. Guns and bombs wouldn't make the cut.

#601 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Theme integration with WOZ and Hobbit are both excellent - so TH distant? No. Truly hard to say which is better. A+ and A++ (you pick).
As for DI - I finally played it this week and I will say it shoots very very smooth. Makes WOZ and TH feel clunky in comparison. And I like WOZ and TH...
DI is a very interesting pin to play - and the more I played the more I liked. Going in I had NO interest in getting DI. Now I have a 'maybe'?

Having played DI extensively now, it's a great game, way better than Hobbit, but still not as good as WoZ. It needs some mid-tier modes to break up the wood-chopping disaster collection. Something like Melt the Witch to mark a halfway point. Having to do a bunch of disasters in one go every time with nothing to break it up is too monotonous. Plus they need another "earned" Multiball instead of the main one and the random quick ones. Given that some of the modes don't have animated characters (just motionless ones on the phone), it's pretty clear this isn't quite done. Needs a little more attention to be an all-time great. Pretty confident JJP will refine it a bit more.

#604 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

There is the Armageddon mini-wizard mode. You have to get through all the modes. Not necessarily beat them. The main wizard mode is showdown, which I'll likely never get to. It's just too hard to collect those sim cards for me.

Right, but the point is you have to drive a LONG stretch of modes to get to A wizard mode, whether the booby prize or the main event. There should be a mode at the halfway point (or thereabouts) to break up the monotony.

#611 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

How can anyone complain about hobbit as a theme and then defend woz or di lol?
Guinnestime had it right:
1) Hobbit
2) DI
3) Anything else they could come up with
1003) WOZ
Actually woz isnt a bad game, just clunky with a not good theme and sounds.

Hobbit is just not fun. Too much same-yness and the popups get very annoying. And even with the difficulty turned up, there's too much multiball.

#612 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Yeah, it is a long stretch. Who knows. They may add one in. JJP has a great track record of improving software.

I'm reasonably confident there will be some game tweaks in addition to finishing the animations for some of the phone characters that don't move like the rest currently. If JJP will keep iterating madly to try to save Hobbit from suck, I'm pretty sure they'll spend some time polishing up Dialed In to make it even better.

#615 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

And on that point, when will we finally get a modern Superman pin?

Once someone makes a successful Superman movie. Superman II was the end of Superman's manhood.

2 weeks later
#634 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Do yourself a favor and skip Armada, his second book.

I have it sitting on my desk but can't bring myself to start it with all the bad reviews.

#637 6 years ago
Quoted from AbeVigoda:

I think the thing about RPO that people loved was all the nostalgia callbacks. Imagine that book without all the 80s references, just story only. Would you like that? If so, go for it.

But isn't it a ripoff of Last Starfighter? That's the most concerning part. RPO was a great book, LS is a classic. Merging them into a bad knockoff is not something I'm looking forward to, which is why the book is still sitting here unread.

#641 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

God, I hate RPO, it's like an utterly unironic and uncritical version of American Psycho. The endless lists of media with entry-level wikipedia descriptions, the boilerplate story, the shabby twists, the crummy dialogue, the flat characters. It's Twilight for guys who still think Monty Python is obscure.

I guess you'll love the idea that the movie looks like a trainwreck.

1 week later
#653 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just as well since I would have that kind of cash again but I can;t think of a weaker title that POTC.
I mean obviously GNR but nothing after that

Mmm, I can. Zingy Bingy would be a bad choice to produce. Probably the worst possible choice.

#667 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

It "looks like" the JJP 4 reveal will be on Thursday 10/12 at 8:30PM if it is at EXPO. I wonder if they will bring multiple "playable" games like they did with DI last year. I hope so.

I hope they have a fully produced video this time, learning from the Dialed In reveal disaster.

3 weeks later
#767 6 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Yes other companies make more adult pins but those other companies are not JJP but no disrespect to any other company at all just want a adult bad*** pin from JJP.

At some point you're going to have to come to the conclusion that your taste and JJP's business model will probably never align. Based on everything Jack has said and done to date and the licenses that are rumored upcoming, I can't see JJP doing a more "adult" themed pin.

#772 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Just saw this thread....without reading 15 pages, are they planning on showing it at expo?

Yes. Basically same deal as Dialed In (though shooting for a better-produced reveal). Show at expo, ship the game late the following spring.

#776 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That's good news....what do you think it is?

PotC or Toy Story are all that keep coming up. I'd be better with Toy Story than PotC, but I secretly hope they succeeded in getting Harry Potter, which would *almost* make up for Stern locking up Princess Bride.

#778 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Let's take Metallica as an example, if you turn off the adult content is there anything in that game that might turn off your wife or kids? I mean there is a snake on there but it's not really frightening.

Well, given that the centerpiece of the game is a weird guy in an electric chair you're trying to kill, it's not frightening, but it is on the gross side, especially when his eyes blow out and drip off the screen. Or the snake pukes out the match numbers. Or some of the things that are said, even with adult mode off. It's a pretty aggressive theme. I'm cool with it (the eyes are a bit much, but...), but I'm sure a lot of families with pins wouldn't be.

#786 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

There still seems to be significant demand for WOZ ...

Jack re-upped the licensed some time before PAGG and said it always sells.

#801 6 years ago

Roadrunner is more likely.

#803 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Road Runner would be cool.

The Atari one was not cool (I didn't like any of the Atari pins, actually).

#825 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Can you say that it at least will "likely" will be revealed at Chicago Expo?

Jack said yes at PAGG, and it would fit with the schedule he's trying to keep as JJP works up to 2 games a year.

#831 6 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Just realized it's less than a month away!
::INSERT HYPE TRAIN GIF HERE::

I wish they allowed animated GiFs here. Maybe just for pinside supporters, if space on the server is the issue.

#837 6 years ago

Weird. I know I've tried uploading them before and the animation was just stripped out and/or nonfunctional. Good to know!

#840 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Not positive, but I believe that happens if it gets scaled. Then if you click on it, it works.

Ahh! That makes more sense. I bet that's what was happening the few times I tried to upload one.

#843 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

When you attach a GIF, at the bottom of the page where it says med-res (max 2048 largest side), click on that drop down box and select original size (no rescaling) before you attach the image and all your GIFS should work fine.

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

#852 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Forgive my ignorance, but where is everyone getting the idea that it's going to be PotC?

There was a leak a long time ago that said Dialed In, PotC, and Toy Story. It was deleted, but that's pretty much where the title rumors have come from for the last 2 years or so.

#855 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, Muppets.

Oh, right. Forgot about that one.

1 week later
#865 6 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

Did JJP/Expo stream the reveal last year? Anyone at JJP thinking about streaming this via Twitch?

It was a DISASTER. Bad planning for the stream, stuttering, pixelated video because the wireless internet was overloaded at Expo and they didn't send it out on a wired internet that was just for them. I'm HOPING JJP has a produced video like the one the eventually made for The Hobbit and Dialed In and can cut to that (and link to a Youtube video made public at the same time) in the reveal, then come back and pull the sheet off the real machine.

Despite the lame reveal, I trusted in JJP and got us in line for Dialed In with a deposit that day, but I know a LOT of people that were turned off by that presentation and didn't order. Many of them came around once people got more time on the actual machine, but the JJP Dialed In launch did them no favors at all.

#868 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

I'm sure there will be a professionally produced video like the ones for Hobbit and DI but it won't be at the reveal - I'd be very surprised at any rate.

I dunno. It's not like they CAN'T get a produced video done in time for reveal. Just imagine if they took the stage, thanked everyone for coming and said "without further ado" and cut to this video at the Dialed In reveal:

...then pulled the sheet off the machine when the lights came up.

I think the reaction would have been a LOT different at Expo had that happened. Hoping they learned from last year and that's what they do this year. And while the lights are down and the trailer plays, have all the JJP employees present put on pirate eye patches if they're announcing PotC, then act like nothing's changed when the lights come up.

Regardless, we're probably in, either way.

#870 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Please no Toy Story...
And no POTC would be nice too...but better than Toy Story.
But I'm sure it is one of those unfortunately.

I'd love a Harry Potter, but I'm resigned to be fine with Toy Story or PotC.

#882 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A game themed after the Disneyland ride from 1967? I'm not sure I understand the overall want for something like this, but I can see the possibilities

If you're basing it on a pirates ride, the Shanghai Disney one that's an amalgam of the movies is the one you want.

#911 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

If JJP are reading this, please invest in a half decent streaming PC (something like an AMD Ryzen 1700 base - 8 core 16 thread - with at least 16GB of memory), a couple of camcorders and a capture card, if you have not already, and familiarise yourselves with xSplit / OBS / vMix (vMix probably the best for this kind of application).
A good looking stream on Twitch, then archived to YouTube would more than pay for the time, effort and expenditure in positive PR and immediate intent to buy & deposits.

I don't think the hardware was the main problem. I think it was that they were using the same (overloaded) wireless internet everyone else was using to stream and there was simply not enough bandwidth. They need a landline/cable hookup so they have their own bandwidth, and ideally a preproduced video that is shown in the room, but made public live on Youtube at the same time. That would alleviate 90% of the issues from last years disastrous reveal.

#913 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You really think BANDWIDTH was the problem with that reveal?
Anyway they've hopefully learned their lesson.

I don't think it was the only problem, but it certainly made it a LOT worse if you were watching the pixelated, stuttering, low-res, and dropping out stream. The whole thing needed to be revamped and REHEARSED. There was lots of rambling and forgetting to point out important features. They also had volume problems. A slick, produced video, rehearsed presentation, and hard internet line this year will fix the lion's share of what was wrong last time around.

#916 6 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

I'm definitely curious on the next release, but figure we will know when we know. As such I haven't stayed up on this real well, but why does the heavy favorite seem to be Pirates when I thought Jack said they wouldn't do a theme that had done before? Did he change his tune?

Quite a while ago an alleged ex-JJP employee leaked that a "cell phone game", Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story, and Muppets were in the pipeline for JJP. The original post got deleted, but that's where the information that's been repeated in various forms since then came from. Since they were right about Dialed In, people are assuming they were legit and the rest was correct, too.

#930 6 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Nothing is as constant as change. Maybe, just maybe Jack can get to her and see if she will budge on this issue. People can and do change their minds. Maybe after what he has done with WoZ, TH, and or PoTC she can see the fun in this new generation of pinball? I guess what I am saying is just because a number of years ago she said no does it mean it is dead forever.
HP is the holy grail theme right now. The first pinball vendor that grabs that title will sell thousands sight unseen. IMO, Still worth chasing.

Her twitter is @jk_rowling. Can't hurt if pinball fans start asking her for Harry Potter pinball.

#963 6 years ago

I'd much rather see JJP do Willy Wonka than Kapow/Stern, too.

#987 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Please, please don't let Stern do Willy Wonka. Oh hell nooooo!!!!! JJP only. A wide body and done as nice as WOZ.

Considering the Kapow connection, classic Willy Wonka is Stern's if they want it. I doubt JJP can get it now.

#1018 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Its all just smoke and mirrors to cover up the real game:
» YouTube video

A Clockwork Orange?

#1063 6 years ago

Of course there should be a Spinal Tap pin with their album as the backglass:

spinal tap (resized).jpgspinal tap (resized).jpg

It would be the ultimate cap to Stern's seemingly non-stop run of nostalgia music pins. So many possibilities for playfield toys and scoring puns.

#1067 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

A JJP of "The Fifth Element" would be an instant buy for me. MULTIPASS MULTIIIBALLLLL.

A Transporter series pin would be awesome, too.

#1072 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

It's like how much more black could this backglass be and the answer is none.
None more black.

It's like regular black is 10, but that black goes all the way to 11.

#1105 6 years ago

Lots of multiballs in that one.

#1108 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I believe Eric will knock it out of the park and be the start of a great pinball designer future. Something sorely needed as the present designers age.

Yes, with no new blood, we'll end up with "Get off my lawn! The Pinball Adventure".

#1147 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's the Revolution! Love that ride....

Before they ruined it.

Quoted from o-din:

Remember when they only had three rollercoasters? Revolution, Gold Rusher, and the Mountain Express? It still seemed more fun than Disneyland at the time.

Mountain Express was basically a Schwarzkopf Wildcat. They still have that ride at some large fairs. Schwarzkopf had great coasters.

#1151 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They ruined it when they put those shoulder restraints that beat the crap out of your ears. But I hear they are gone now.

That thing was so fun. I heard it got moved to Mexico.

The Seattle fair used to have a Wildcat every year. No idea if they still do. I love that ride. So much fun in such a small footprint.

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Loved mountain express. They used to feature it in a starburst commercial. I only went on it once then it broke down. They got rid of it a few month later.
Yeah, they ruined Revolution. It hurt too much to ride.

It also hurt when they got rid of the 1776-1976 American Revolution theme and re-themed it to the Mexican revolution, which made ZERO sense. I mean, I understand pandering to clientele, but it ruined the history and theme of the ride. I think the shoulder restraints were added before that change, though. Honestly, they ruined that ride in many ways.

#1167 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Now it's called the new Revolution and those shoulder harnesses are gone. The wanted to bring it back to the way it was.

Right but a lame VR ride? Is that pinkeye-spreading gimmick gone yet?

#1178 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Cedar Point has certainly grown up from the kiddie park it used to be while Magic Mountain was building record setting coasters, that's for sure.

Yeah, basically the "coaster king" trophy bounces between those two parks constantly.

#1184 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

It is my understanding JJP wants to produce two new titles a year. In order to to do that in 2017, they would have to ship the second title before the end of the year (which I think is very unlikely). If they achieve this in 2018 and follow the same schedule as 2017, it will mean significant compression on the second 2018 title. My experience with schedule compression is that it is incremental. FOr example, a 3 mo compression for #4 giving 9 mos to deliver #5. So my assumption is based on that experience Obviously, we will know the answer next week, just curious to know if any info has been provided.

I'm thinking they'll move up the 2018 release of JJP#4 compared to Dialed In, shipping in March-ish, then announce JJP#5 at PAGG (Or whatever it's called now!) try to release in Q4 2018. I don't see them getting to the stated goal of 3/year for many years, especially if there's another pin-crash in there.

#1187 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

So DI started shipping in around June this year, right? I think after the reveal at Expo this year they will try to start shipping by TPF. That would be smart. Maybe start to think about retiring the older games, TH and WOZ.

WoZ is evergreen for JJP. They sell constantly, and JJP just re-upped the license. Hobbit, not so much. It will probably be retired, I'm guessing.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1191 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It would seem to me that a reveal and marketing of another game would cannibalize the one that was just released (??) or do I not get marketing at all?

Every pin is not for everyone. The goal is to cover the potential market of buyers at all times.

#1297 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I bet there's no change in price. I also bet that even with this being a major Disney franchise, that this game will be packed with toys, and features, and great looks. Oh, but wait, didn't everyone say Disney restrictions are to tough to have a cool play field?

If it really is PotC, I expect it to be more like WoZ in the toy department, which is F-I-N-E with me because WoZ is a great game, and lots of cool toys would somewhat cover the disappointment of another PotC pin in just 10 years.

Really pulling for JJP to have learned from last year's reveal and really pull off a slick, REHEARSED reveal this year.

#1301 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I was typing dildo but my phone wouldn't accept it.

That's a mouthful.

#1305 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I actually hope the toys aren't like WOZ. I'm over plastic sculpts that spin or move up and down but don't really DO anything. I want to see interesting mechanical devices that you interact with or affect shot paths.

You're discounting the mechanical action items that are in WoZ:

Flying Monkey
Castle entrance doors
Double castle doors to bash
Crystal Ball with VUK
Multiple magnets

None of those are molded plastic, and none spin or go up and down. That said, I think the witch and the spinning house add to the game, too, and you DO interact to make them do their thing, it's not random.

#1313 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Look, I think it was a great first effort from JJP and even though I'm not a big fan of the game, I do respect it...but none of those mechanical features are that interesting or satisfying to me. The Monkey is just a magnet that takes the ball up...not nearly as cool as magnet toys like BSD's mist ball or TAF's Thing. The castle doors just reveal a kickout saucer...would have been more interseting/satisfying as a lock or shot reveal. Crystal ball, just an LCD...magnets, tons of games have magnets. Look, it all works for the theme and brings the game to life - that's fine...I just want to see something REALLY INTERESTING and UNIQUE in terms of engineering and function, especially considering what these games cost now.

Well the good news is JJP is moving more that direction. Stern is clearly moving away from that. So at least we have one manufacturer TRYING.

#1319 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No it's not, but it's somehow fooled people into thinking it does since it looks cool.
-Pro has a booger on a string...aaaand...that's it.
-Prem/LE's booger has extra movment that's irrelevant cuz there are no optos/switches on his mech.
-Magna slings ruin a fundamental pinball feature by trading something that worked well for a shitty gimmick.
-Ecto Goggles weren't developed enough to be a useful feature.
What else? Some molded buildings? Those aren't unique or a device. The stupid fucking game couldn't even get flipper placement right.

At least Trudeau TRIED with unique designs every time. That party's now over before it really got going.

#1323 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Shadow has some very unique toys.

Shadow is in a class by itself. One of my favorite pins.

#1327 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

When is the pre reveal?

Before the public reveal.

#1574 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Doesn't resemble DI at all.

I like the fact that they're continually trying different things with the in and outlanes on JJP machines instead of the cookie-cutter Stern approach.

#1585 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Did Stern concede this Expo or are they going to show a new or vault machine?

For supposedly highlighting Batman'66, they have an awful lot of Aerosmith out.

#1592 6 years ago

F + slang for mentally disabled that starts with 't.

#1603 6 years ago

It's lame they're bringing Pat L's TERRIBLE head-scratching headphone jack placement forward to this title, too. It's literally the dumbest possible spot for that on the front of a pin. I have no idea why he did this.

#1607 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

So they can get Disney licenses, oh no stern!

All the leaked titles from that post a few years ago, PotC, Toy Story, and Muppets are Disney. This has been known for quite a while now.

#1619 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Whats the issue? Im a fan of the external volume control ?

I am, too, but why by my knees? The PLACEMENT is the problem.

#1905 6 years ago

Well, I guess they didn't get the rehearsal memo.

At least the stream quality is improved...

#1911 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

can't see a damn thing, can't even get on the website.

https://go.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#1944 6 years ago

That old guy with the camera that keeps walking in front of the video needs to be tied down.

#2135 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He might give you fifty cents on the dollar for your BM66.

10 cents on the dollar, if he's feeling generous.

#2141 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Stern should concentrate on the $5K pin market

They are. Finished software will soon be an added charge. The Stern way.

#2239 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, since this is a stern thread now, I'll chime in.
Jjp games are $8500, sterns are $5200.
Stern is still gonna be on top. They are still the only sane choice for operators and they are still gonna outsell jjp in home sales.
Dialed in is great and this looks good too, for a wide body. But all I see these games hurting is sterns LE sales.
Jjp is delivering for their intended customers and market, no doubt.

It isn't a fair comparison for Stern Pros to any JJP. Prem to JJP it's $7200 to $8500, and at that level it's clear to see Stern is ripping people off compared to JJP. There are a couple JJPs on the route I help with and they are usually top 3 or top 5 earners each month at a straight $1/play. They pay for themselves about as fast as pros at 75 cents or 3/$2, and in the end the playfield doesn't look like garbage and the cabinets haven't split. I'm *assuming* resale will be higher as a result, but we'll see when we get there.

Quoted from pcprogrammer:

SW is just a couple ramps and orbit. Nothing much going on. Pirates on the other hand... WOW. So what is the new official acronym for jjp pirates?

jPotC? PotC+?

#2284 6 years ago

Even if it's the end of 1Q 2018, a March release is amazing turn time.

#2306 6 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Nice to see so many options with over 200 sceniros as mentioned that no game will be the same. I guess having 5 movies in the franchise helped out. Is this the first game made on multiple movies?

Indy was 3 movies, LotR was 3 movies, Hobbit was too. The interchange scenarios and missions sound impressive, but I hope it's not handled like Hobbit where there's a LOT of same-ness. Give me less but make it all memorable.

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

WOW!!!! This games looks incredible!! Who in gods name would ever buy a Stern LE over this game?? It looks like all of the pieces finally came together on this pin......Theme, flow, toys, art, lighting! Go JJP!!

I really like little details like the lanterns on the ship playfield flickering.

#2496 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If the modes are like The Hobbit they will all be unique. Each of the Hobbits 31+ modes are unique and work the playfield in interesting ways. Keith knows how to create objective based rulesets extremely well. I'm sure we are going to see a lot of unique modes for POTC.

Meh. I played Hobbit extensively at home and the modes felt very "same-y". The differentiation on most of them was on the screen. I hope jPotC is not the same way, but based on the playfield alone and missing annoying beast popups, it probably won't be.

#2516 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yeah, I feel like The Hobbit modes all feel very similar due to the layout and overuse of the same shots and targets. I'm not as worried with Pirates. It has a lot more going on.

Yeah, I'm enthusiastic that it's like a mashup of WoZ and Hobbit, which should be a great thing. Hobbit will remain JJP's weakest offering.

#2595 6 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

I kind of feel bad for Stern right now. They are getting hammered after this reveal.
Let's not forget they have produced some amazing games for us and don't really deserve all the ridicule.

Just like in movies, media, etc, the saying is true, "You're only as good as your last release."

#2637 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Invisible glassand shaker are basically $400-$450. If you would get them regardless I think it's a no brainer.

That's the nice thing about JJP's SE to LE cost difference. It actually pencils out, whereas Stern gives you about 20% (or less) value for their Pro-Premium bump.

#2658 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

It is second only to MMr for most played game in my collection and I have a lot of great games (and a few turds).

What are the turds in your collection, and why do you still have them?

#2660 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Street Fighter II, Star Wars Episode 1 and TMNT are the ones I consider turds. I am planning on selling them all soon...except maybe SF2; I just sort of like it for some reason.

Yep, all turds. I don't think anyone would argue.

#2665 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

lol. I wouldn't be to sure about that. Many people by me that had WOZ sold it and agree it's not a good playing game. Hobbit seems to be universally hated as well, even more so than WOZ.

That's an issue of taste. WoZ rocks, IMO, if you're not against a stop and go game. I like a good flow game as much as the next person, but WoZ is a pin masterpiece.

Hobbit is not. I wouldn't ever call Hobbit a turd, though. Just a beautiful, boring, missed opportunity.

#2717 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's time these LCD games figure out their own footing, beyond being glorified DVD players. DI was a huge step in that direction, I imagine lessons learned there were a big help with POTC. JJP definitely has the edge on this stuff now in my mind.

JJP DEFINITELY has the upper hand on LCD screen layout and use compared to Stern. There's absolutely no comparison.

#2808 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

While the game looks great, I'm out. Here's why:
WOZECLE pre-order: $6500
THSE pre-order: $7500 delivered
DILE: $8500
POTCLE: $9500
$9500!!! While I can afford it, it just doesn't make sense to drop that much dough on a pinball machine when an Xbox X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, latest & greatest 4K HDR tv, and kick ass sound system combined are still less than a single pinball machine. It's really too much now. Will Toy Story be $10,500 for an LE? The pattern points to yes. I was out after $7500 in principle.

But all those items will depreciate MUCH faster than a JJP pin. Much.

#2920 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's great to hear. This looks like a winner for JJP and I'm really looking forward to playing one. My first chance will likely be SFGE in June 2018, so it's going to be a long wait.

If they get it out by March, you might catch it on a route before then.

#2922 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

3 years ago I would have said there was no way, but lately pinball has been picking up here in the Charleston area, so you may be right!
We got like a dozen Star Wars machines right as they launched, I was super impressed. Rumor is there is even a Dialed In here on route, we are planning to go check it out soon.
At work we are lucky enough to have a pin in our break room, and the op swaps it out every few months for a new title. Right now we have Star Wars Pro. Maybe I can beg for a JJPOTC in there.

Yeah, looks like The Break on Folly road has a Dialed In.

#2926 6 years ago

Did anyone take video of the jPotC "boat in a bottle" topper? At the reveal Eric kind of motioned to it, but the camera was on the other side of the room and you really couldn't see it at all.

#2929 6 years ago

Thanks much! I couldn't find video of it anywhere!

#3002 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

First quarter of 2018.... if its like di then it will be the end of the said quarter. Guess will see but id guess some standards and le for testing around feb/march then le's in full force in april for a few month's. Then ce's will come 3/months after that.

Dialed In was shipping in the middle of the 2nd quarter. They nailed their estimate. I expect they'll do the same with jPotC. I expect it to start shipping in Feb since they said 1Q.

3 weeks later
#3040 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Any updates at iiapa on the code or changes?

Someone in another thread said it was pretty much the same if not exactly the same. They didn't notice much new.

2 weeks later
#3106 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Disney is the issue. They GAVE away their video and sound rights with their contracts to the individual actors and actresses across the board! Why would they do that?? Seems really dumb.

Way back at the beginning, Disney had no idea a movie based on one of their attractions as a promotional tool would become so HUGE. At the beginning they were trying to just attract enough talent to have a shot at an okay movie. So more concessions were likely made than should have been.

#3110 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I buy that for movie 1. All actors on subsequent movies got the same deal? Weak.

I doubt it was all actors in all the movies, but key actors often have a "parity" clause, where they have to get at least as good a deal as the other key actors. That probably played a part as the series rolled on.

1 week later
#3125 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm wondering if jjp learned from DI to automatically install cliffys on the scoops on all games going forward? Hopefully they did and also hopefully the metal used is the appropriate thickness instead of the heavy dury DI ones.

Absolutely. I really hope they're listening to the negative feedback on their inferior protector designs. Such an easy win for them to just team up with Cliffy and promote their machines as the best-protected out of the box.

#3131 6 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

My WhiWi is some years older, restored playfield, no chipping on any hole ... why is it now kind of an art to make playfields and coatig which just hold ?

Most people who do clear I've seen say it's because the clear now is not as good because it's more environmentally friendly with less chemicals, etc. But that doesn't really explain it all because people that renovate playfields are putting down clear that doesn't have the almost immediate chipping problems being seen on many Stern and some JJP playfields, either. Whatever the issue is, I wish it would be resolved, too!

1 month later
#3207 6 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

What is the current timeline for this game coming out? In my opinion JJP did this title right. Amazing play field, good sounds. It doesn’t bother me the theme song isn’t in the game cause I don’t view POTC theme song as iconic. Not like the theme songs for such movies as Star Wars or Superman. Basically, I would never know the theme song wasn’t in the game if I didn’t read it here.

Seems like April/May, but I think Jack originally wanted it out sooner (didn't tell this, just the feeling I had from a conversation about timelines for upcoming games).

2 weeks later
#3218 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Oh Baby! Here it is!
SDTM Episode 51: Pirates of the Caribbean Pinball Machine Review - Deluxe Edition Part 1

360P? In 2018?

#3220 6 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

You can select up to 1080

Maybe it hadn't finished processing yet. It only gave me the choice of 360p initially. High-res works now.

#3239 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I would disagree with this. The ball times SEEM long because you have 3 top players (that designed, built and programmed the game) playing it. I am by no means a great player (maybe good) and my average ball time seems to be in the 1-2 minute time frame, making a game 3-4 minutes. Could that change once I learn more about the game, surely? Make sure you get a chance to play it when you can and then let us know if you still feel the same.

Let's just pray the average ball times are nowhere near The Hobbit.

#3243 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I want to comment on this, because a few weeks ago I had a pinball evening with guys coming over. We played all games and at one point we played every game except TH. One of the guys said: I don't want to wait for 20 minutes before I can play again.
But I prepared the game. Turned off all ball saves, made it a little steeper, set it up so the multiball were not as easy to get.
When we played it, it were the shortest games of the evening and we had so much fun with it and kept playing again and again.
I find that most of the Hobbits are set up badly. I was over at a guy that also own a Hobbit and when I played it, my first ball was longer and had a higher score than the best game I had ever gotten at my home. It was just set up flat and felt floaty and just all around slow, but then I found out all his games were set up like that.

I turned multiball difficulty up, had it set at 7.2 degrees, and sides wide open and it was WAY too LONG, still. Some games are just that way. Hobbit is one.

#3246 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Can't argue with your experience, but try to disable the ballsaver. I did that because that is also the setting on the Directors Cut on Dialed In and it makes the balltimes so much shorter. Especially in multiball where the default ballsaver seems to last forever as you can easily start a new multiball with a new ballsaver during multiball.

Pretty sure we had that off, but no way to tell now, Hobbit has been sent down the road.

#3259 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Does potc use different rgb gi lighting than the new rrwoz? Just wondering as woz isnt very bright? If its different can woz be fitted with the potc rgb gi?

I think they're all using the 2.0 light system. The inserts should be plenty bright, but the GI on WoZ has always been kind of dull because they're just using plastic tubes to transport the light from a single LED below the playfield. A lot gets lost in the move.

#3262 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ok but potc looks much brighter? So something has be different bc my new rrwoz isnt very bright

Do you have the LEDs set to max brightness in the settings?

Even so, WoZ is a pretty dark game. I ended up installing a lighting kit that added spotlights to brighten up the playfield in a dark bar on location. It was just too dark in a dark room.

#3266 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Probably the same but looks like potc uses 3 or 4 spotlights pointed in center of playfield unlike woz

That's what the kit that I ended up installing does. Adds a number of spotlights and some lighting in the back. Helps a LOT.

#3289 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

PotC livestream

Nitpicking, but the complete lack of animation when the gold coins time out uncollected isn't great. They should scale away or fall off the screen or SOMETHING instead of just disappearing. Also it's hard to hear, but it sounds like there's no effect when they go away. Seems like a negative sound so you know you've lost gold would be helpful if you're not watching the screen.

Still, looks great and the polish is really starting to show overall...

#3326 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Agree with the other caller who said it feels like a Slot Machine from Japan.

Haha! I had this exact same thought with the cards popping up!

#3341 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

One correction.
Disney could not, not would not. For some strange reason on the POTC movies. The actors and actresses own the rights to their audio and video, not Disney.

Coulda had Dr. Who license for free...BBC is like "someone take this...please?"

Lots of possibilities with that Sci-Fi license, too.

#3345 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Were they forced to take POTC in order to acquire the rights for another title?

It happens. There was one game license we wanted that we got three titles later by taking a title we didn't want that much.

#3373 6 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

Played JJP Pirates several times at LAX this past weekend...really liked the game and I plan to buy one, I have no doubt it will be much better when complete and all the bugs are resolved (stuck ball etc)...my one critique is the rocking upper ship mini-playfield...when ships rock they don't "clunk" from side to side...smooth out the rocking.

That's...random. What's it doing at LAX?

#3375 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

it is in reference to the Louisville Arcade Expo (LAX), not the airport. I always have to look at it twice too.

Haha, that makes more sense. I was like, "LAX? Really?"

#3377 6 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Joe and Keith showed off a new match sequence on today's stream, and I grabbed a clip. Check it!
https://clips.twitch.tv/DrabVictoriousStarlingTebowing

I like the idea of matching characters rather than numbers. Cool match sequence. Could use a smidge more animation and sound, but cool.

#3379 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

needs a separate "fail" or "win" callout for each character.
will make the match sequence fun and hopefully funny to watch love me some comedy in pinball

Or just drop the non-matching loser(s) off the screen with a splash like they're walking the plank.

#3385 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone heard an update as to when POTC will start shipping?

I'm still hanging on April/May.

#3388 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Potc is supposed to be shipping first quarter of 2018....

Was. Was supposed to be shipping.

#3447 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Shipping early summer was what Jack announced.

That's June 22nd at the earliest, and likely July, then.

#3452 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I knew it wldnt be ready 1st quarter of this year.....

Hope springs eternal, but Jack will have to wait probably until 2019 before he gets two new pins shipped in one year at this rate.

1 week later
#3523 6 years ago

Im seriously thinking of selling my TH to get a JJPPOTC.
Maybe its just me but I will have to play it more? Im tired of waiting for code to make TH a real game (although TH is truly amazing and immersive and the audio is unsurpassed).
So should I pull the trigger and upgrade to JJPOTC or wait for JJP5?
Dont get me wrong, I love my THse but dont play it often, it seems boring with incomplete code.

You're not alone in that opinion. Hobbit is the worst JJP release by a LOT, IMO.

At the rate jjPOTC is going, though, JJP5, aka Toy Story, may not even make it this year. Someone said Butch said August was likely to start shipping, and he should know. That's like 5 months later than JJP initially said they wanted it to ship. It also would push Willy Wonka into late 2019 and potentially Guns n Roses into 2020. It doesn't help that jjPOTC looks so awesome - I would like it now, please.

You're going to really like Houdini, though. Very fun game.

#3531 6 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Why the hate?
When ranking the 3 production JJP titles to date, I agree Hobbit comes in last.

It's not "hate" it's the truth, at least for me and some others. We've had all the JJP machines here, and Hobbit was the one no one liked after a few months of play. Based on what I've seen of jjPotC, Hobbit will probably remain dead last of JJP pins. But why is that so weird? Even batting .750 is a ridiculously awesome record. Pinball is not consistent historically. They can't all be winners. Pretending they are isn't doing anyone any favors.

#3539 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Someone reported recently JJP said it would be August before POTC begins shipping. That's still late Summer, right? If you work backwards, JJP spends 6 - 8 weeks preparing for model changes in the production line, so I would guess this may start July. With that much time, code may be close to done.

Someone said code was 0.85 at TPF and JJP said they'd ship with 1.00.

#3542 6 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

What the hell? Calling The Hobbit the worst Jersey Jack Pin? Are there other 'bad' JJP games? Given the nearly universal high regard for all of JJP's games, why not just say it isn't as good as the others. Using the term "Worst" carries a negative connotation that TH does not deserve. All of the JJP games thus far are masterpieces compared to almost all other games out there. Would you call the Mona Lisa da Vinci's worst painting? Personally I think DI is my least preferred JJP game but I would never call it the 'worst'; it is just not my favorite one just as TH apparently isn't for others. But worst? Please!

You can candy coat it all you want, but if you're making a list, the first thing is the best, and the last thing is the worst. There was no comparison to OTHER manufacturers, just JJP's releases, all of which would likely be high on an overall pinball list. Again, JJP has a stunning record of getting their releases right, but that doesn't mean they're all the best. We wouldn't still be buying JJP pins new if I thought they sucked. They're the best overall manufacturer out there right now. Very much looking forward to jjPotC.

#3567 6 years ago

Is it possible to separate the art from the artist?

Ask Woody Allen and Roman Polanksi.

#3586 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr-Worf:

a reorganization is also if the ball falls down from the upper playfield to the right.
How is the palate protected around the playfield and plastic in this Area?

Seems like there should be a "shelf" there midway down and the ball rolls off that onto the playfield more like a wireform drop distance rather than from the ship side all the way down to the playfield. Maybe they have something like that already, I don't think anyone has posted picture detail from that side.

#3588 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

meh. that upper pf can get pretty close to the pf on the right, so i don't think a trough of some kind would really benefit it. Mylar on the area and it's a done deal. production model might even have that.

It CAN get close, but it can also get far away. It's possible with momentum for the ball to tip over the side when the boat is at the highest on that edge, which is a LONG drop with a steel ball.

#3590 5 years ago

I hope they get these out sooner rather than later. August is a long time to wait...

#3596 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Yeah, but my point isn't how low it is to the playfield, but that a trough would have to stay clear of the rocking pf's movement. Which would put it right up against the right edge. You couldn't put it under because it rocks too low. I think it would look awful.

If it was low and a thick PETG clear plastic I don't think most people would even see it, and if it was screen printed on the underside, it would look like integrated trim that matched the game theme. Cheap insurance against PF damage.

2 weeks later
#3670 5 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

For the price tag i feel like they should be adding things. Not taking key features away. This is very unfortunate.

Certainly has taken a large amount of heat from the release. That new single spinning disc art is atrocious and definitely needs to be re-done at the very least.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.