Topic Stats

• 3,753 posts
  • 528 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Zampinator
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 260 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181026_122121778 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_131620186 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_133524638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_101424526 (resized).jpg
IMG_0665 (resized).JPG
20180407_181132 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180413-205239 (resized).png
20180327_165820 (resized).jpg
20180412_183405 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1932 Text from game flyer Posted by sevenrites (2 years ago)

Post #1973 Slide from presentation about code depth Posted by trunchbull (2 years ago)

Post #2036 Feature matrix and game photos side by side Posted by Guinnesstime (2 years ago)

Post #2066 Close up of animated topper Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #2075 Barnacle armor photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #2086 Close up photos of the playfield Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #2087 More close up photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #2099 Close up of screen on apron Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #2223 YouTube link for reveal stream Posted by KevInBuffalo (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#246 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Dudes...I'm a huge Nintendo fan. Seriously why would you want to spend $9000 on a Nintendo themed pinball?
$299 gets you a Nintendo Switch
$59 Zelda Breath of the Wild
$59 Super Mario Odyssey
The Switch is literally why I'm barely playing pinball right now, and definitely won't be buying anymore pinball machines. Such a low price for such a huge amount of entertainment. I'm playing this right now with friends around the world:
» YouTube video
Here are my pre-orders for the year...and it's not a pinball...they'll release on time with complete code, $59 a pop:
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

I'm actually leaning this way in general. For $59 a pop I can get 100 hours + of entertainment out of the right multiplayer game. Even if I get 10-15 hours out of it it's just better bang for buck than $8-9k for a new game...and I'm honestly entertained as much or more. No effing with crap breaking, no maintenance, no space worries, no moving a 300lb machine up/down stairs into my game room. Video games are sounding better and better the more I think about it. Seriously thinking of cashing out to about 3 pins.

#259 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So true.
Was only thinking the same - color dmd same as a brand new console with endless hours of entertainment.
I am thinking of getting an Xbox X in the fall but put off by the high price..... and yet will spend $1000's on a single pinball.
It is crazy but like others I justify it by saying I won't lose much money. Pinball is kind of like the game, pass the parcel.... as long as everyone keeps this insane mentality, the show must go on!
When pinball games start depreciating in a normal way, then boom.
I feel like I am pretty close to stopping myself and that is a reason I am starting to get into gaming again.

That's it! I'm getting the Xbox X and maybe the Switch for less than $800 total.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah man! That's the move....send me your Friend Code when you get a Switch!

I will if I get one.

2 weeks later
#329 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

I don't think JJP will ever pick something that niche. Jack is going for wide-appeal G or PG-rated pins for the whole family.
And has there ever been a great horror pin? RZ is the closest, but is not without its problems. Freddy is terrible. Maybe Tales from the Crypt? Nothing really stands out as a great pin in the horror space.

RZ??? That is a turdfest!!!! TFTC is the horror winner hands down.

#366 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

actually one sold for less than $6k a couple weeks ago. I believe $5800.

I would have bought that one and had two!

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Toy Story? Really guys? I mean, MEN? I've heard from many a dude that Toy Story is a dream theme for them. Jesus, why? It's a cartoon. For kids!
Also, Pirates strikes me as such a lame choice. They must do market research (yeah, right) that indicates otherwise, but really? Is this the theme people want the most? What are the game elements that people envision for this?
Pulp Fiction. This is Spinal Tap. The Matrix. Harry Potter. The Beatles. Bible Stories! These are the themes people long for.
I have mad respect for JJP, and I might even buy a DI someday, but the "family friendly" theme MO is too restrictive IMO.

Yep, Toy Story would be awesome. As a man, I'd take the Buzz Lightyear LE with green glow armor please! Pirates I don't quite get if true, since it has already been done well by Stern. But it IS a great theme and is one of the best selling Sterns ever. Lots of cool toy possibilities there.

Pulp Fiction: please, please someone make this game...love it! My personal favorite movie of all time.

#458 2 years ago
Quoted from jamjam:

Agreed but I think it should be a "Nintendo World" with more characters than the Zelda ones. It would work well and is family friendly.

If we're going video games let's go with Castlevania. With the new Netflix series out it would be easy to get some custom voice work from the actors, lots of bloody possibilities.

#462 2 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

It was called monster bash

Castlevania = MB?? Are you high? They are polar opposites!! MB is slapstick goofy non-scary comedy. Castlevania is gory, creepy, and serious. Much closer to BSD...

1 week later
#596 2 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

What is this, because all i can find is a movie from the 80's.....am i not looking at the right thing??

You're looking at the right thing unfortunately. I don't get it. It was a terrible movie then and it's even worse now. It's total nerd niche. It would be a worse theme than Elvis and that's saying something!

4 weeks later
#684 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think a lot's of people do...didn;t quite get that quip either.

It's a great game with a unique layout, plus one of the best toys ever in the sinking ship! I think it's a mistake to re-do that theme. It's not like the movies were any good past number 2 either. Did anyone even see that last one?

Still, pirates IS a good theme with lots of possibilities.

1 month later
#929 2 years ago

There will be FIVE (5!) JJP #4s at expo to play after the reveal!

Wish I was going to expo.

1 week later
#1427 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep Land still clings to that Matterhorn fact till their last breath!

Off topic, but Land is better than Magic Kingdom. How can the much smaller park have more (and better) rides?

#1561 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Quite frankly without Mr Toad's Wild Ride they both suck

Which is why Land rules...it's still there!

#1570 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They would never take it out! At least I hope not.

A children's ride that ends with you dying and in hell is too awesome to get rid of.

#1626 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So wait...are any of the folks calling neil an assoe people who HADN'T already seen the pic?

Doubt it. I didn't see it before and was pleasantly surprised by it. I was hoping for an early pic and got it!

#1633 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Center disk spins also i believe.....

Looks like it spins in multiple concentric circles...that would be cool.

#2262 2 years ago

$9500 for the LE is tough...that's a lot of dough, but this game looks spectacular. If gameplay and rules are awesome it will be tough to resist. Might have to let go of MM for this one.

#2656 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Apparently the game will not feature any voice work from the 5 film's. The only call outs heard will be from the custom call outs which are thankfully recorded by one of the film's actors. Also, Eric said that 1,100 custom lines were recorded! Still, not having any voice work from the other characters, especially Jack Sparrow, is a bit of a bummer.
I haven't finished watching the interview but I wonder if no video clips are currently in the game as they are not allowed? Not having the voices, licensed music (at least the main track), and possibly video assets as well stinks but I know JJP has to follow the rules that Disney, the licensor, sets.
Still, just what an incredibly looking and fun game. Can't wait to play it.

Is this true??? No voices from the movies allowed? That's a REAL problem on a $9500 game IMO...especially one with tons of "chapters"/modes. How the eff are they going to sound unique and how will the video clips work without sound??? Can't be true, right?

#2790 2 years ago

While the game looks great, I'm out. Here's why:

WOZECLE pre-order: $6500
THSE pre-order: $7500 delivered
DILE: $8500
POTCLE: $9500

$9500!!! While I can afford it, it just doesn't make sense to drop that much dough on a pinball machine when an Xbox X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, latest & greatest 4K HDR tv, and kick ass sound system combined are still less than a single pinball machine. It's really too much now. Will Toy Story be $10,500 for an LE? The pattern points to yes. I was out after $7500 in principle.

#2795 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just noticed the hidden shot behind the upper left flipper. That's pretty damn cool!
JJP's POTC seems to have it all.

Except a sane price!

#2810 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I believe the shortened answer to your question/statement is as always, "You have to pay to play!" They will all sell and everyone has a different threshold for pain as well as $$$$ comfort. For me (just my opinion) I do not buy a pinball machine to make a profit, only to enjoy. But So far (I've bought some real looser titles) none have depreciated as fast as a car, boat, motorcycle, watch, or any other toy/hobby that I play in. Yes I may loose a little, but in the end no matter what I felt comfortable paying for it I still own an asset that I can confidently say I will make a good percentage of my money back on should my feelings change.

Absolutely. They will sell, just not to me. Good for them, but I'm out on principle alone. Prices will keep rising until they don't sell and they rightly should keep raising the price, I mean why not?

The thing is...there likely won't be a second-hand market for these games. Nobody is paying $8000 for a used machine. Someone who can afford that would just buy a new one for $9500. Am I right? I'll just buy one from someone down the road for $7k if it turns out good.

#2899 1 year ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Saturday at Expo the 14th about 160 of the 200 CE were sold.

False. It's not sold until full payment is in and the game is shipped. Until then you have 160 interested enough to drop a small deposit. Still, pretty impressive that many $12.5k CEs were reserved!

#2904 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

that would be
GOTG
Iron Maiden
Dead Pool or Pulp Fiction?
Monster Bash
Alice Cooper
Plus Alien shipping in quantity
Houdini
TNA
That's a lot of $$$ sucked out of the pool, unless people actually follow through on not buying Stern Nib

Pulp Fiction would be amazing, but we'd probably get a decorative suitcase that opened with a light in it and a static decorative katana over the left Zed ramp as toys.

#2910 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If they drop the price on POTC LE after the initial excitement orders are delivered then maybe they can get 3000 or so sales.

That will NEVER happen. Can you imagine the backlash from the initial buyers?

#2956 1 year ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Several things actually.
Everybody’s heard of Costco right?
They take pretty much everything back.
If you’re not happy 100% with a product they sell, you can bring it back, even without the original receipt, and even if it’s past what the manufacturer deems is “too late.”
It’s just how they roll.
Since I thought I was a “good” customer in JJP’s eyes being said early supporter in giving him not one, but TWO games worth of money before even seeing my first game, I thought my request did seem simple enough.
If he really cared about keeping me a buyer of his future games, he could’ve told my local distributor to switch out the machines (since the Smaug was technically a higher value game at the time.) and replace it with a Black Arrow edition when they were ready.
The local distro could’ve easily sold a sub 50 play Smaug for $7500 to any of his/her clientele (since they were still a scarce item) and I’d have the game I wanted the whole time.
But that didn’t happen.
I got to do ALL the legwork on selling my game and still never got the factory updates/fixes that went on the later models before the game sold.
Could I have used the $$$ to buy a Black Arrow edition? Sure.
But,
Why bother continuing to support someone that doesn’t seem to want to keep you as happy as possible in the first place?
(Especially after helping them literally start up a business?)
Plus,
It doesn’t matter which industry you are dealing with.
People send back food all the time in restaurants because they weren’t happy with the final product.
Stern (for example,) learned their lesson the hard way with GB and still took care of people’s games.
Even the vocal KPG got a new populated PF.
Some even got brand new machines.
It’s all in the eyes of the beholder I guess.
The good distributors will have your back most of the time but, since I went with JJP direct on both games, my “guy” was less than helpful in my case.
Good customer service/relations keeps people coming back, period.
Yes, even if you (the manufacturer) decide to keep raising prices for no apparent reason.

JJP will bend over backwards for their customers, but they won't bend over backwards with their balls in a knot.

You bought the game, sell it yourself.

#2962 1 year ago

I can almost guarantee a later edition with different art. It works. They'll do it unless the game sucks and doesn't sell well.

1 week later
#3006 1 year ago
Quoted from VidiotGT:

There will be plenty of movie clips on the screen, they will just never show an actors face.

Pretty crazy for an $8500/$9500/$12500 game. Can’t believe Disney let’s their actors rape them on movie contracts and Warner Bros is the smart one. Seriously, Depp says “I retain all rights of my characters voice and video” and Disney says ok??? All actors/actresses got that deal?? Ridiculous.

#3023 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Guys I know a little something about pinball licensing negotiations now, all the desire and good will to do it right don’t mean anything sometimes. It’s rarely as simple as you think it should be. Just the nature of things.
Pinball is special to us. It’s no different than a T-shirt or a lunch box to other people when it comes to business. Just another licensing deal. You get what you get. I’d just make your peace with it, I’m sure the JJP people got whatever they could, clearly they worked hard on this game.

Totally agree. I’m more flabbergasted that Disney gives away their assets to their actors/actresses and Warner Bros smartly hangs on to them.

Still, you’d think they would go for a couple full licenses like Depp’s audio/video and the theme song.

#3025 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Anyone know what the JJPOTC RadCal option looks like on the SE and LE? Is it the CE RadCal cabinet art? I'd be interested in getting that...

It’s the same SE/LE art in RadCal form. You do know what RadCals are, right?

3 weeks later
#3085 1 year ago

Of all the things to be worried about on this game, music most definitely isn’t it. Mr Thiel shall make it spectacular as he always does. Voice clips on the other hand...that’s something I’m interested to see how it gets worked around.

1 week later
#3105 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

This has already been discussed to death. And no, JJP isn't looking to cut corners. And Disney isn't the main issue either, at least when it comes to the actors and actresses.
LTG : )

Disney is the issue. They GAVE away their video and sound rights with their contracts to the individual actors and actresses across the board! Why would they do that?? Seems really dumb.

#3109 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Way back at the beginning, Disney had no idea a movie based on one of their attractions as a promotional tool would become so HUGE. At the beginning they were trying to just attract enough talent to have a shot at an okay movie. So more concessions were likely made than should have been.

I buy that for movie 1. All actors on subsequent movies got the same deal? Weak.

2 months later
#3237 1 year ago
Quoted from Spankey:

The more I see, the more I come away thinking this is one where it may actually be fun coming up with rules and strategies. Maybe the one pin that is more fun playing with others than alone.

Long playing games are not good for multi-player games. LOTR, TH, TSPP: all terrible multi-player games. IM, BSD, FT: all awesome multi-player game.

This appears to be a game with longer ball times.

#3244 1 year ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I would disagree with this. The ball times SEEM long because you have 3 top players (that designed, built and programmed the game) playing it. I am by no means a great player (maybe good) and my average ball time seems to be in the 1-2 minute time frame, making a game 3-4 minutes. Could that change once I learn more about the game, surely? Make sure you get a chance to play it when you can and then let us know if you still feel the same.

Let me clarify that games with long ball times can be awesome (I.e. all the ones I mentioned), but they just aren’t fun mp games due to the wait. For all the content POTC seems to have, it would make sense that this will have long ball times. Of course you can always toughen the game physically, but the rules may get neutered with shorter ball times. We shall see.

#3319 1 year ago

A lot of what makes a great game is about the sound and callouts. Not having movie clip voices and only ONE actor giving callouts does hurt this game. Imagine LOTR or TSPP with no voice clips from the movies/show and only ONE actor giving the callouts! They would both be great games, but they would lose quite a bit of sparkle. Imagine if TH only had Smaug quotes! It’s obvious it hurts the game in some way.

#3321 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Haha I read somewhere that TSPP in fact WAS only one actor !! But one that does more voices in the show. That is why you never hear Lisa or Marge saying anything.
All a lot of drama for nothing. Aurich was right on the money, if you want the movies, then buy the movies. A lot cheaper. When you are playing you will enjoy the game so much that you will never miss the movieclips and the callouts are from one of the main characters. That is more than can be said about TWD or even GB as Ernie Hudson was not one of the original ghostbusters.
edit: by the way: The Hobbit is a bad example, as there are no original callouts by original actors in that game. Just voice-alikes. So POTC is again better than that.

TSPP has at least 3 official actors: Dan Castelleneta, Hank Azaria, and Nancy Cartwright.
TH has full rights to voices in the movie and movie clips. Imagine if it didn’t have that! It’s a good example.
I would totally be happy with sound-alikes for POTC ala Gandalf in TH! Better than one official actor only.

#3327 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Ok, I stand corrected, but IF they would do sound-alikes, there would again be others that would crap on that too. I am getting a little fed up with all the drama before even the software is finished.
The manufacturers just cannot win: hire all the official actors and the machine will be priced too high, get sound-alikes and get boooh'd for that, get one real main character and get crap for that too. Second example: Show the game early and get crapped on but get real life data on how to make the games better, or just show the machine very late and get crap.

Nobody said it won’t be awesome, just that it would be better with more assets...especially with the continually rising price tag from release to release. At $9k I need to have my dick knocked into the dirt with ALL aspects of the game to consider purchasing. DI lost me with the ho-hum theme and art. It’s still an awesome game, but didn’t knock my duck into the dirt.

2 weeks later
#3494 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

How can a LE be a LE if there is no limit to the amount made? Having a standard edition makes this even stranger.

It’s limited to how many they sell. It’s just a trim name really.

1 week later
#3581 1 year ago
Quoted from bmunn1:

They would make more money selling the Topper separately than the money they make off the CE. It would be a profit mistake if they didn't sell it separately.

Maybe, but that’s not the point. They need to justify that extra $3k for the CE somehow. Some different art and a topper is enough for some.

2 weeks later
#3672 1 year ago

Weak...very weak. They need to add something else now to make up for it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside