EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1932 Text from game flyer Posted by sevenrites (6 years ago)

Post #1973 Slide from presentation about code depth Posted by trunchbull (6 years ago)

Post #2036 Feature matrix and game photos side by side Posted by Guinnesstime (6 years ago)

Post #2066 Close up of animated topper Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2075 Barnacle armor photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2086 Close up photos of the playfield Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2087 More close up photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Close up of screen on apron Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2223 YouTube link for reveal stream Posted by KevInBuffalo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#144 6 years ago

There are thousands and thousands of good licenses out there. Why do we need to have ones that been done already?

Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Back to the Future, FFS pick something that's at least original even if it's a license.

3 months later
#966 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Grown men playing Toy story pinball, I hope they don't release that one.

This grown man has seen all the Toy Story movies multiple times, and I'm sure as hell not ashamed of it.

I like some 'adult' themes just fine, my personal pinball that I'll never make is full of witches and black magic. But nothing wrong with a great family friendly theme that can also appeal to adults.

#1173 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

This suggests to me that #4 isn't fully baked yet (not surprising). I know JJP aspires to release multiple games each year. Towards that goal, have there been any indications given as to when #4 will be shipping? I assume they plan to 'beat' the late Q2 timing of Dialed In.

Why assume? They showed DI at Expo last year, looking pretty solid, and then shipped it when they did. No reason to think they couldn't just repeat the same schedule with #4.

#1862 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Yes, but it's free to subscribe

Nah, you don't need to be logged in to watch. Just hit the URL.

I could bitch about the price or the reuse of a license, but instead I'll say while it's not something I will buy I wish JJP the best of luck.

It's cool that if you have the money you can pick between games as diverse as this one, with triple digit Keefer mode rules, or something as simple as TNA. What a time to be alive.

#1867 6 years ago

It's not POTC he insists. Go hide your head in shame somewhere.

#2146 6 years ago

Haha, just got back from soccer practice and this thread exploded. I'll catch up on the video and good stuff later, but just have to say it's a pleasure seeing lots of positive attitudes for once after a pin reveal.

#2270 6 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

The people interested in TNA are not going to be questioning their choice after a POTC reveal.

Haha, nope. JJPOC looks great! Can't wait to see more, but I watched some gameplay video and it looks super cool.

Keefer is a mad man, 105 modes, 22 characters, it makes Stern's half finished and abandoned code look really bad.

But my TNA deposit is for a game I'm way more excited for. JJPOTC isn't remotely like it. It's also more money than I want to spend on a pinball right now.

None of my TNA thinking has changed one bit.

#2498 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Meh. I played Hobbit extensively at home and the modes felt very "same-y". The differentiation on most of them was on the screen. I hope jPotC is not the same way, but based on the playfield alone and missing annoying beast popups, it probably won't be.

At the end of the day it's 'shoot the lit shot' most of the time for any game. Sometimes you get real gems, like Alien Invasion (and hey, guy who programmed that seems relevant here), but modes are modes are modes, only so many ways to slice up the same cow.

Difference to me, without playing it, is POTC playfield looks fun, and Hobbit's has never done it for me.

#2542 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You win dumbest argument of the day.

There's always tomorrow.

#2599 6 years ago

Gary at Expo is always one of my favorite things. That photo is great, the photo of him with TBL is great, but nothing will top last year for me.

I was at the back of the room by the doors for the DI reveal since we had to bail early for the Alien party, I was standing with Kelly, the animator on Alien, and Ed Robertson, everyone's favorite naked lady, and right after they pulled the cloth off the games and the room was trying to decide what they thought Gary came walking up the aisle, wearing those bright red glasses, and walked out the door. The timing was just classic.

That's my new life goal, to show up to my competitor's big reveal, so I can walk out on it right as they have their moment.

#2716 6 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Speaking of that, why can they have a picture of a character, but not use their voice. This licensing stuff is over the top silly. I am really, really, tired of lawyers.

The sad thing is it's even dumber than people realize when you see it all from the inside, I learned that first hand. You can use this, but not that, and you can do it this way, but not that way, and you're told one thing from one person, but then you're dealing with approval with someone else and the rules have utterly changed on you.

Or you think "I have the movie rights, so I get all this stuff", but then the music is actually from a different sub company than the film, and was licensed to the movie, probably in some scheme to make profits look lower and avoid paying out percentages, and you need another $50k for this, and another person to approve that, and it's just a web of BS.

You can use this actor, but not this one, because the second actor is British, and has a totally different contract.

I suspect though that the things I learned with Alien are even crazier with modern films like POTC, because on the these old movies the contracts weren't written with all the modern digital media and licensing in mind. No way something like a huge budget Disney franchise isn't loaded with all kinds of detailed legal language for this that and the third. You can use this specific likeness, but not the person in motion, or whatever.

Personally I think NOT having a ton of film clips and re-used movie lines is great. I'm sure the JJP team chafed at restrictions, who wouldn't, but it means they got creative and did their own thing, instead of just playing back pre-canned stuff.

It's time these LCD games figure out their own footing, beyond being glorified DVD players. DI was a huge step in that direction, I imagine lessons learned there were a big help with POTC. JJP definitely has the edge on this stuff now in my mind.

I'll take 1200 custom callouts over a bunch of movie lines I've heard before any day. I'm not a POTC buyer, too expensive for me, but I feel like we should be defending custom work over recycled work wherever we can. Watch the movies if you want to hear the lines, let the game be original and new.

#2788 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

See Alien for the "development hell" that can happen when you try to work outside their pre-approved images.
I remember Andrew Heighway at the start of it explaining to me that the package of stuff they sent them was filled with grainy black and white photos from the 1970s. Basically completely unusable for their purposes. From all the cash burn that resulted he doesn't own his company any more.

Oh man, don't get me started. At least on these modern titles you're pretty much able to get some nice high rez marketing material. It took literally months to get someone at Fox to hunt down an image of the original egg poster that was even usable quality, and not a grainy postage stamp jpeg.

I don't want to derail things too much since this is a JJP thread, so I won't post a bunch of stuff here, but one of the craziest things about the "grainy black and white photos from the 1970s" was all the concept posters they included for some reason. I think this one is probably my favorite:

ALIEN_KEYART02 (resized).jpgALIEN_KEYART02 (resized).jpg

It's kinda cool in a "huh, things could have been utterly different" kind of way, but yeah, wasn't exactly *useful* in any way.

That's the full resolution by the way, Pinside is not shrinking it. Whole folders full of stuff that size, barely big enough for a website slideshow. Even if you're not a print expert I think you can get that trying to put that on a playfield would be an exercise in frustration.

1 week later
#3022 6 years ago

Guys I know a little something about pinball licensing negotiations now, all the desire and good will to do it right don’t mean anything sometimes. It’s rarely as simple as you think it should be. Just the nature of things.

Pinball is special to us. It’s no different than a T-shirt or a lunch box to other people when it comes to business. Just another licensing deal. You get what you get. I’d just make your peace with it, I’m sure the JJP people got whatever they could, clearly they worked hard on this game.

4 months later
#3298 6 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

this pin is based on 5 movies, almost 10 hours of movies and not 1 second of movies footage

Good. You whiners should save some money and buy a bluray boxed set. You can watch all the movie footage you want. Save yourself 9 grand, and spare everyone else the litany of complaints.

This is a pinball, not a movie player, get over it.

#3357 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah it’s weird I know

I don't think it's weird at all.

At the end of the day the reality is what people really crave is atmosphere, the feeling of the theme, living the game, world under glass, blah blah blah.

There's a reason Tron, a game with a not particularly inspired layout and ruleset, is so well loved. It would be one of my hardest games to sell. It just feels good to play. The soundtrack, the lights, the callouts, the feel of everything is just pitch perfect. It doesn't need an LCD screen.

Batman 66 is all about the cheese. It's campy and corny and bright and colorful, and the LCD works great for it. It's like a live action cartoon. The way the screen is set up like a TV is perfect for the feel of the show, and the memories we have. (I haven't even played the game, only saw it at the first Expo reveal, and yet I totally get it.)

The truth is the Pirates movies aren't really all that good. IMHO they just got worse with each subsequent release too. The first is pretty fun, and then you kind of just go along for the ride, and take pleasure in the ridiculousness of it all. But the last thing I actually want is to watch a bunch of movie clips. Hobbit was bad enough, those were shitty movies too. Watching Bilbo walk around his apartment reading the contract? So incredibly lame.

The point is to play the game. That should be obvious, but the way people talk in this thread you'd think they were just going to turn it on and watch it. Does the game feel like a fun ride? Are you in the world? Is the rocking upper playfield ship more interesting than passively watching a ship bob around on the LCD screen?

If JJP does a good job then the game will be better off for being less about the films, and more about the game. If they don't, then they messed up, but the lack of assets won't be the problem. These aren't quotable films. When Alien was under development all people wanted to know was if "game over man!" was going to be in the game. Heard it 100 times. (It is for what it's worth.) I don't see anyone actually talking about must have lines and scenes, just some general angst that the assets aren't there.

What exactly is it you're dying to see and hear every time you play the game? Because I have no idea.

2 weeks later
#3438 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But, JJPOTC seriously one of the best pins I've ever played.

That's high praise from a good player.

#3478 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thanks Aurich! we need to get together for some pinball again.

Come play my TNA. I'm beta testing stuff from Scott all the time, which means I have an excuse to wipe your score after you leave.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 38.00
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.