EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1932 Text from game flyer Posted by sevenrites (6 years ago)

Post #1973 Slide from presentation about code depth Posted by trunchbull (6 years ago)

Post #2036 Feature matrix and game photos side by side Posted by Guinnesstime (6 years ago)

Post #2066 Close up of animated topper Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2075 Barnacle armor photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2086 Close up photos of the playfield Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2087 More close up photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Close up of screen on apron Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2223 YouTube link for reveal stream Posted by KevInBuffalo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zavadoza.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2230 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dialed in is great and this looks good too, for a wide body.

DI is a standard body.

#2289 6 years ago

Idk if it's been mentioned, but I just noticed on the order sheet from my distro that the LE has a Laser-cut Topper. (CE has the moving ship in a bottle topper).

Other LE features: 72-light Starfield on back panel, invisiglass, shaker motor, powder coated armor and legs
Interesting that the LE won't get a printed manual (DI buyers should get them, once available).

Not that I want to compare JJP to the other manufacturers, but I just have to say, "to each their own." My collection is limited by space and not $$. The value is there when comparing a $7,000 premium stern to a $9,000 JJP pin.

I like that this game has something for the competitive player, collector, and operator in mind. I wasn't high on the theme, but they executed it wonderfully (and Keith said at the end of the Buffalo stream that it's only 20% done). Shipping 1Q (3 monhs up from last year). Well done.

#2661 6 years ago

Of the 1,100 lines of script, a lot of them are lines from the movies, just re-done by the actor. Not having Jack Sparrow's "character" is a setback. I'm sure the royalties for Hans Zimmer's music or any of the "talent" voices were too much for JJP to negotiate into the license and be profitable.

#2841 6 years ago

Why are people getting bent about something being called limited? You can buy a “Limited edition” model vehicle and nobody gripes over production numbers. You get the Limited because it has better features, not because it’s rare.

Limited IS limited. Even if it takes 5 years to make and sell 1,500 games, they will only make 1,500 that way. It sounds silly, but you could call it a limited run of 10,000 games and maybe you never sell them all. Who cares? LE# is like a serial #.

3 months later
#3170 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The biggest disappointment is the delay from revealing the game to shipping the game. Creating hype and then letting it all go stale is dumb.

They should announce and have the games ready to ship sooner.

The delay is the reason for this entire thread of speculation. People lose interest until the game is actually available to play, so all they can do is complain about the soundtrack

It doesn't hurt sales for them to show the game earlier. When something costs $9,500 it's good to give people a chance to reserve their money for it instead of buying the 3 other games that come out from other manufacturers during that time. It also helps the manufacturer know what to expect as far as sales when you have some time to generate excitement.

Movies have trailers more than 6 months in advance. Pinside is going to speculate all day whether you have 8 months or 2 weeks before a game comes out. It sucks to wait, but we can always get off the internet and actually just play pinball until it's time to get your new game.

1 month later
#3462 6 years ago

Jack didn't say early summer. He said they will ship some time during the summer, but no later.

I was talking with Butch Peel, who is working a lot with the production parts suppliers and he thinks it will be August. The slowdown is 2 things: the chest and the spinning concentric discs (map). The chest ball lock was re-designed, and the discs are not yet where they want them to be.

He also said once that is figured out they will make 20 games using the production parts and put those games on route to see how they do. THEN they will make the mass order of parts. Production can not start if 1 part is not in stock. JJP doesn't want a massive recall and they also want this game to be amazing right out of the box.

Butch said JJP strongly considered not unveiling Pirates until TPF, and now think they probably should have waited. I asked since this game won't come out until late summer, is it likely JJP5 will be announced at TPF next year. The answer I got was that it hasn't been decided, but that is likely what is to happen. Pat Lawlor is designing JJP5 (lots of toys) and Eric Meunier is on JJP6.

Screenshot_20180320-115008_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180320-115008_Gallery (resized).jpg

#3464 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wow thats disappointing.... ill be getting my deposit back more than likely and buying other stuff in the meantime. They are gonna lose some sales bc of the slow rollout no doubt.

That's understandable. But this is speculation and it may still come earlier.

A movie trailer comes out a year in advance and people still go see it. You can have an itch to buy something else, but there isn't a game out there that's in the same league with this one, imo (except Dialed In). It's worth the wait and it won't be a disappointment when you get it.

#3469 6 years ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

Yes I agree better they get it right than just ship it out then everyone just complains on pinside. A few months or even 6 months difference is not an issue .

I agree. The communication and transparency has been good, as have the streams from Eric, Keefer, and Joe.

I don't fault JJP a bit for how they are approaching this. I'm glad they made a fantastic game that's worth buying. It will get here when it gets here.

#3486 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

I agree with the wanted poster idea. That would be cool.
However i have a question. This would be my first NIB JJP pin. I own a TH Smaug edition. And seeing what JJP did with TH and how it had 2 more special editions. Im one of those guys. That it really bugs me if I was to buy a basic LE. Then they release a Black Pearl Edition a year after. So that in mind its my only hold back from putting in my pre order now. Id like to get some feed back if theres any guys out there that bought a LE WOZ or a LE TH. Then the ruby red was released or the black arrow or smaug was released. How did you feel and what did you do>? I tend to hold onto my machines. I hate to go through the whole selling process. Then i hate to lose thousands on trade if this were to happen. So id probably never upgrade. If this was a pro model price range pin it wouldnt be such a big deal. Somebody had mentioned cars as a comparison and car manufacturers do this all the time. For one with cars it usually takes more then a year for that to happen. And also with cars theres much more of a aftermarket presence. Most of the time its just HP which you could get double more for half the price on the aftermarket. I dont know im overthinking it i know. It just would be a real bummer for them to release a special edition in a year or 2 with exclusive look. And i like the idea of a black pearl edition a lot. But i dont want to wait around that long. So im basically screwed. "Rolleyes"

I wouldn't really worry about it. This one looks great, and if you feel the same way you should get it. They will sell a lot of these games and I can definitely see a separate premium edition once the LE run has been exhausted. I think Hobbit LE looks better than Black Arrow or Smaug. Pirates is fitting to come in Black. IDK what other powder coated color you would change it to. I don't think they'll have more toys in a future version. This game is already packed.

One thing we have confirmation that won't change is the number of Collector's Edition machines. Besides the CE topper, I prefer the LE look.

#3497 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

It says on the spec sheet that the LE’s are numbered. Just curious what the point is to numbering them if they are not limited in production. Seems weird to me.
It also says the LE comes with a laser cut topper...do we know anything about that yet?

The LE run on Dialed in is 2,500. The comparison sheet between the 3 models states the number. On the comparison sheet for Pirates, it says numbered, but doesn't show a limit.

Nothing has been released on the topper. I asked about the topper and the answer of, "It's going to be laser-etched," instead of, "It is laser-etched" with no other details makes you think that it hasn't been finished yet.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.44.05 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.44.05 PM (resized).png

20180321_234734 (resized).jpg20180321_234734 (resized).jpg

#3543 6 years ago

This thread is POTC. Take it to the Hobbit forum.

#3582 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

they mentioned something about sails on the Black Pearl for production games that are currently not on prototypes. We also have yet to see the LE topper.

I made that suggestion after launch, at least in regards to the spinners. I'm interested to see what they do here and very excited for this game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-suggestions-thread-attitude-pls#post-4026648

#3587 6 years ago

meh. that upper pf can get pretty close to the pf on the right, so i don't think a trough of some kind would really benefit it. Mylar on the area and it's a done deal. production model might even have that.

#3595 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It CAN get close, but it can also get far away. It's possible with momentum for the ball to tip over the side when the boat is at the highest on that edge, which is a LONG drop with a steel ball.

Yeah, but my point isn't how low it is to the playfield, but that a trough would have to stay clear of the rocking pf's movement. Which would put it right up against the right edge. You couldn't put it under because it rocks too low. I think it would look awful.

1 week later
#3648 6 years ago

Deciding to buy a pin this good shouldn’t hinge on a potentially 3-5 month swing in estimated delivery. This is the best game (soon to be) out there right now. Buy Dialed In if you want something that rivals the fun of JJPOTC and want it now.

1 week later
#3709 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone else noticed how there's little choreography with the games modes and multiballs? While a quick video clip or animation (for multiballs) plays at the start of a mode that's it. I'm not sure if this is due to JJP not being able to use actor voice and actor video or if additional elements for modes are to be added (I hope).
Right now all of the multiballs feel very similar with a unique opening animation playing for each. There doesn't appear to be other unique animations or sounds that make each multiball or mode unique. For example what is in the game to make "On Stranger Tides" multiball feel like that movie? Right now I just see hit inner loops for jackpots on screen. There doesn't appear to be any choreography that advances the story similar to Lord of the Rings and Hobbit or other objective based games that progress through a themes story.
I hope that some more video clips that don't feature the actors are added to the games modes, at least for multiballs and mini wizard modes.

I thought we were playing pinball, not watching a screen. Do you want a longer animation when there's mutliple balls on the pf?

I think the animations, sound, and lights on this game are stellar.

#3713 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Choreography in regards to pinball modes include the animations, video clips, sound effects and music that make up a mode and the placement / timing of each within the mode.
Imagine Fellowship of the Ring multiball in LOTR without the intro animations, no DMD animations when you hit the shots to save the characters, no unique sound effects. That's mode choreography and it helps bring a theme to life to the player.

These multiballs are SUPER EASY to get to and there are FIVE of them, plus mini wizard modes, wiz mode, and more. Do you want an "animation cookie?" This isn't Valinor.

It's a subjective opinion, but I think the entire presentation on the backglass in regards to modes, progress, et all is fantastic. The sound and lights are as well.

3 months later
#3740 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I'm going to speak up just because I think it is morally the right thing to do since people are making purchasing decisions on REAL expensive toys here. I had a conversation with Eric last week and let's just say that whoever started the "end of summer" rumor led people down the wrong path and isn't valid. Maybe they asked if they ordered then (TPF time frame), when would they get their pin or something like that. JJP and for that matter even Stern don't really try to publicly pinpoint when pins will go into production. We've seen production dates usually slip from all pin manufacturers for whatever reasons. That's likely why no one from JJP has responded on timing in this thread. Do not believe everything you read on pinside, verify the rumor yourself if you can.
I will start a unsubstantiated counter-rumor that you will see some production line changeover photos from JJP near the end of May. Usually production starts after that. Who knows timing may slip, but end of summer was never correct per Eric. DO NOT believe me as pinside rumors are just rumors. Eric will be at MGC next week, ask him yourself and see if the end of summer production START timing ever had any validity. He will probably at least be able to tell you "no" to that. Hopefully this helps with people making purchasing decisions. Depending on where you are on the pre-order list will likely be a bigger factor on when you would get your pin.
Again - don't believe me or anyone else that isn't a JJP employee on JJPOTC production start dates as rumors are just rumors, and stuff happens that could delay things.

It was me that factually stated a conversation that I had with Butch. He was super gracious to talk with me for a while. I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers at JJP by sharing it. I wasn't trying to break a story, but just help people with their expectations. The truth is that Jack said at TPF that it would ship by the end of summer. So it's not like this was a big secret. The reason JJP hasn't given another update is because it appears that is still the timeframe they are operating in.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4/page/70#post-4290782

2 months later
#3752 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Looks like you were right by quoting Jack and Jack was bang on by saying end of summer to 'start' shipping. We are fall now and really only starting to see pins in homes in the last week-ish.
I will be enjoying mine when it arrives in a couple of weeks and not be following the next release(s) of any manufacturer so closely. It has been a long year.

If you click the post I linked, you'll see that we were told about the chest and discs being an issue before Eric announced the removal. After the initial announcement of Q1 shipping at expo last year, Jack said in March that games would ship before end of summer and Butch guessed August for production. Nobody cared to pay attention. Everybody said JJP wasn't being transparent, but they didn't have anything to announce because nothing had changed. My game was manufactured on August 14th and I got it in early September. The devs continued to show game progress with the streams, and I thought that was great, even though it made waiting more difficult.

For everyone that's gone through the whole spectrum of emotion while waiting and have considered or did cancel their deposit, you may want to jump back in. This game is feature-packed, gorgeous, deep, and most of all a lot of fun to play. My early production game has had 0 issues out-of-box (had to bend a rollover switch) and it's super obvious that the production wait afforded time for more complete code at launch.

For some perspective, You are getting a game in Pirates that is much more complete than a pin from some other manufacturers that have been out for a year or more. It was worth the wait.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zavadoza.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4?tu=Zavadoza and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.