EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1932 Text from game flyer Posted by sevenrites (6 years ago)

Post #1973 Slide from presentation about code depth Posted by trunchbull (6 years ago)

Post #2036 Feature matrix and game photos side by side Posted by Guinnesstime (6 years ago)

Post #2066 Close up of animated topper Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2075 Barnacle armor photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2086 Close up photos of the playfield Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2087 More close up photos Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2099 Close up of screen on apron Posted by cavalier88z24 (6 years ago)

Post #2223 YouTube link for reveal stream Posted by KevInBuffalo (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rockytop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#713 6 years ago

I'm curious if it will be shipping in the next few months or will it be just be an announcement with shipping in 2018. Has anyone heard anything on that?

#714 6 years ago
1 month later
#1562 6 years ago

Can someone PM me the pics please?

#2393 6 years ago

Hogbog My deposit is sent for an LE. I don't think I've ever been more excited at this stage for a game. Congrats! You crushed it! It's going to be a massive hit. I'm grateful you chose to work in pinball.

#2400 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Game looks pretty good. Great to see a fresh new designer make a game.
It's crazy over priced though and I think it's funny how many of you are running to order a CE like 12.5k is some great value or something. New pinball is great but at 9.5k I'm out and it's crazy to see people applaud another huge price increase. I can almost fill a game room with fun stuff for that price.

You're a fisherman now anyway. All you need is a pole and a nightcrawler.

#2454 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

LOL, leave him alone Kenny.

Captain Ahab is down in Cabo, partying with the Red Rocker. He's selling his collection anyway and going to buy a lot of hats that he can hang shiny stuff off of.

As for me, yes, I like to pre order games and not get them...like TBL and Alien...but this one will get made and delivered. I have no doubt on that.

jgentry

#2492 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You left the preorders that you backed out on out of that list Kenny. Selective memory. I've had 14 tequila shots since lunch and I still remember better then you.
I love pinball, but I just can't get 9.5k fun out of one. If it's good and they go at a nice HUO discount I might look but otherwise I'd rather save my money or use it for something more practical or see a new part of the world. Fortunately you don't have to spend 12.5k or 9.5k to still have fun with the hobby. The game looks good and I'm sure it will be fun. But I've owned all 3 of the last jjp games and none were keepers for me. 9.5k can buy me a pile of tequila shots. Hard to compare that to a pinball machine.

9.5k is pocket change to you. You've spent more money in spilled liquor from one side of Mexico to the next.

#2828 6 years ago

In listening to the interview with Pinball News and Pinball Magazine, Eric said he first layed out the main toys associated with the 5 movies and then put the shots around them. Just curious as to what lines up with which movie.

1...The Black Pearl upper playfield
2...The Treaure Chest ball lock
3...The Spinning Disks??
4...??
5...The Devil’s Traingle sculpt on the left orbit

I guess the left ramp is one but I’m not sure what movie that goes with.

#2830 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I know 3 is the left ramp. It has a diverter on the top that makes it go down the Maelstrom funnel (Eric was telling me that when I played it..though I never got movie 3 multiball).
4 would be the spinning disks since that is the map that was used to find the fountain of youth in the 4th movie. It was introduced in the third though.

Cool...I guess that clears it up. Thanks!!

3 weeks later
#3036 6 years ago

I am looking forward to this game probably more than any since I got in the hobby in 2003.

I like a lot of shots/paths for the ball, and this certainly delivers and then some. I like the features of the game. I like that it will have custom callouts. I like the artwork. I like the creativity and seeing something new in a game with the moving playfield and the concentric spinning disks, etc... I like ramps that do multiple things. I like the physical ball ball lock that's also an inner orbit shot. Never playing the same game twice...I like that. I like the magnets. I like firing a cannon into another ship. I like the detail of toys in the game. I like the compass that tells you where to shoot. There is so much to like in this game to focus on.

I could be wrong, but I think the majority of people are going to have a blast with this game once they get it and won't be thinking about not hearing Johnny Depp or something else along those lines.

2 months later
#3176 6 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

It doesn't hurt sales for them to show the game earlier. When something costs $9,500 it's good to give people a chance to reserve their money for it instead of buying the 3 other games that come out from other manufacturers during that time. It also helps the manufacturer know what to expect as far as sales when you have some time to generate excitement.
Movies have trailers more than 6 months in advance. Pinside is going to speculate all day whether you have 8 months or 2 weeks before a game comes out. It sucks to wait, but we can always get off the internet and actually just play pinball until it's time to get your new game.

Another reason for a delay is to test the games in the wild and find/fix any issues before games start shipping. I really like this approach. It's better for everyone that things get found before games leave the factory.

1 week later
#3211 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You can have all the time you want on the machine at 257 as long as your cash holds out? lol Played it several times over the past few weeks and maybe its the time I have been going or day but JJP seems to always have a software guy near by observing and taking notes. Very impressive in my opinion. If I witness a error or flaw it is miraculously repaired by my next visit. They do seem Very committed to making certain this game is Dialed in perfect. Love it and there team is amazing! Can't wait to get mine. #17 CE (which Jack Better Sign this time!!!)

That's great to hear.

2 weeks later
#3247 6 years ago

Had a chance to play pirates Friday night and I loved it. I had a deposit down before Friday and wanted to play it to make sure I wanted it. I’m definitely getting an LE. I’ll share more of my compete thoughts on the game later, but I think this it's fantastic.

Huge thanks to our hosts flipnout1 for having us over!! For those of you who don’t know Larry and Donna, you should get to know them. They're two of the best people in this hobby.

FC38039F-C3E1-4CC8-9353-84C1B0BEC830 (resized).jpegFC38039F-C3E1-4CC8-9353-84C1B0BEC830 (resized).jpeg
F2CC2F58-2826-444B-A3AD-96400BF85415 (resized).jpegF2CC2F58-2826-444B-A3AD-96400BF85415 (resized).jpeg
BA813EF1-1D29-4E0D-83A7-DA636A3A1F0F (resized).jpegBA813EF1-1D29-4E0D-83A7-DA636A3A1F0F (resized).jpeg

#3252 6 years ago

I’m picky about mini playfields. Some like TS, WH20, and TZ I like, but most I don’t. I think the ones on WOZ are cool.

I think this has a chance to be the best mini playfield ever...it would be tough for it to beat TS in my mind, but it could, depending on how the code shakes out.

The rocking motion is really cool and challenging. There is a lot to shoot for up there and the rules so far are interesting. Loading the cannon and shooting the Dauntless is perfect theme integration and a lot of fun. The ship itself is a great looking sculpted toy. I love the lanterns on the front. It’s all REALLY well done in my opinion.

#3254 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The lanterns are sweet and the way they flicker adds authenticity

Agreed. It’s one of the best uses of lights I’ve seen on a game.

#3256 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Oh Baby! Here it is!
SDTM Episode 51: Pirates of the Caribbean Pinball Machine Review - Deluxe Edition Part 1
» YouTube video

Everyone should watch this who is thinking about this game. ZMeny I really enjoy your show.

You guys did a great job here with JJP breaking down this pin. Thank you for putting this together.

#3286 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I don’t know why so many people are hung up on video footage. Is it because of Hobbit? Cause that’s a totally different game in itself, support JJP and buy that if you want video footage in your collection. Me personally, video footage on the display is one of my least cares about assets. The display should thrive on scoring, progression and rules IMO.
If movie clips and stop n go Pinball really is your thing then I can respect that. But don’t get too tunnel vision on it. $8500 doesn’t buy you stop n go movie footage; it gets you a world of Pinball magic that Eric, Keefer, Joe, JP, and David bring to life.

Agreed. Well said. This game is awesome and is only going to get better.

1 week later
#3397 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

With this being the case I wonder how the modes will feel unique seeing as theres no actor audio from the films, as well as video, that plays when that characters shot is hit.
Are there custom Gibbs lines that are unique to each mode? If so that will help fill in the gap left by no actor audio for scene and help each mode stand on its own. However, if that's not the case I wonder how 100+ modes will feel unique?

I don't think the modes are going to feel particularly unique. The start of the mode will be a little different, with the movie clips that play, but I think it will be hit the lit shots after that. There will be a lot of strategy in stacking modes and a lot of ways to play the game in general, but I don't think it's going to be one of those games where you just love certain modes. I don't think that was what Keith was going for even. I could be wrong, only time will really tell as the code matures.

Starting and playing the 5 main multiballs is where the game will really shine (along with the amazing features and layout) I believe, and trying to get to the mini wizard modes for the movies...which require playing the modes.

#3404 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Regarding modes and rules - and this is my assessment of the game, take it as you will.
They keep referring to them as chapters in the stream, not necessarily modes. I wouldn't think of them as 125 different modes, but the chapter section of the ruleset is ONE mode in itself but is played out in different ways based on 3 elements; the chapter itself (i.e. # of characters), your scoring bonus going into a chapter, your chapter X going into the chapter, and any penalties/rewards you have on the character you're playing as. You are then rewarded based on how quick you complete them and on the scoring which plays a later role in the game at each movie's wizard mode. So while it's 1 mode, it has an infinite amount of possibilities of its outcome from game to game.
Breaking modes down more, there are:
+ 1 chapter mode with infinite possibilities of how they're played.
+ 6 multiball modes each with unique rules associated to them. These are unique rules, and not just hit the flashing light and get a jackpot. Obviously, the more stacking you do, the more jackpot possibilities there will be. But, from what I've seen each multiball has cool and unique rules and corresponds to the games theme integration.
+ 5 unique wizard modes. And based on the only wizard mode we've seen so far (movie 1 - curse of the black pearl), these wizard modes will be very involving and appear to be deeper than traditional modes or even wizard modes. I don't suspect it will take long to achieve wizard modes either as players learn their risk/reward strategies in progressing. And will there be a super wizard mode...?
+ 1 Arggh frenzy
That in itself is 13 modes. All played differently and all stackable, and all appears to be achievable from game to game. When it comes to pins that are based on mode stacking, you have to be very delicate where you go with it or you can end up with a hot mess (i.e. see XMEN mode stacking feature).
There is also PIRATE lane rewards that are player selectable. There are TONS of mystery features > I used to love mystery features like in MM and such but that feature has been lost for many many years due to sterns weighted system mystery features. Keith and Joe programmed the mystery choices to be weighted before they are seen, but once shown on the mystery level, all rewards have an equal chance of being selected - no weighted 'non-mystery' mystery awards. This is very welcomed!
And lastly, the map wheel. We have yet to see what integration this impacts rules, modes, or gameplay.
So while this isn't your traditional mode game; i.e. shoot scoop, hit flashing lights, end mode, rinse + repeat. JJPOTC is more of a stackable mode risk/reward strategy up your yin yang style game. If that's not what you want, then this game will probably not be your cup of tea - in which games like Hobbit, LOTR, Star Trek, Dialed In, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc... will be the game for you. Wonderful time to be in the hobby with so many good games to pick from that suit each of our tastes for sure!

Great explanation! Thank you.

#3439 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Here's my review. Got to play close to 20 games at Arcade Expo in CA.
I agree with what a lot of people say; this game does not feel or play like a wide body. The game design is stellar, top notch; Eric did an amazing job. Every shot feels good. The rules & code utilize the entire play field very well.
The far left orbit shot on videos shows a magnet that blocks the loop shot and diverts the ball back down the left loop. This looked uninspiring on the video, but in reality the magnet really whips the ball back down the loop. It was really a neat feature.
Chest shot; when the shot was a pass thru it whips around to the upper flipper. Good shot. With the chest ramp up, it's a very brickable shot. This shot is probably the most concerning for me overall. It felt cool when you made the shot, but it bricks a lot. Im hoping production games have a solution and/or there's an easy fix adjustment to make it not so ejectable.
The upper flipper shot was very cool and satisfying. The Maelstrom whirlpool does obstruct the top part of the shot; but after a few plays I got the feel for it and was making loops like crazy. It was very satisfying and fun to hit some loops and decide whether it was time to shoot gold targets and collect gold. One time I hit about 6 loops then nailed the gold targets and collected a TON of gold playing as Gibbs. More on that later.
The right ramp to the boat play field is steep and tough. It's much better than it appears but if you don't get it up there, get ready for a brutal return.
The mini boat play field was actually way cooler than I thought it would be. I was able to load the cannon probably 6-7 times; unfortunately, the coil was very weak and could never make it to the other ship.
As far as overall gameplay and rules. This thing is a masterpiece homerun. Everyone did their job...Eric, Keith, Joe, JP, David, etc...This game feels good, looks good, sounds good, plays good, and keeps you on your toes. The PIRATE Lanes are BAD ASS!! So inventive and intuitive. It was much harder than the design team makes it look on the streams to toggle through lane rewards let alone get all 6 lanes lit. I didn't focus too much with the multiplier rules until my last few games where I started getting the hang of the rewards. Overall, this is a very fun feature. Gathering gold is also very fun! Being able to repeat loop shots and decide when to cash out by hitting the gold targets and then collect that cash out with the action button was cool. Way better than doing the tie fighter button mashing in SW. I didn't focus too much on chapters and such since most the wizard modes aren't coded in yet. So My go to characters were Black Beard, Gibbs, & Jack Sparrow - though I did try a few of the others. With black beard I was able to get a huge multiball stack going and started getting some super X's going which ended with a good 560k GC score. But, it wasn't til my last game of the night that I broke that GC score playing as Gibbs. Utilizing what Keefer said in the stream 'it's important to focus on each character's strengths'; I went straight for gold with Gibbs. At one time I looped around 6 shots, hit the gold targets and collected nuggets upon nuggets galore. It was still ball 1 so I decided it was best not to start Tortuga mb with that huge gold collect, but rather get some other multi balls ready and I did just that. It wasn't til that game that I realized how bad ass the Tortuga multiball sound effects and call outs were. I was able to get Maelstrom and Tortuga going, then kept resurrecting multi balls either with add a ball or by starting another multiball just in the nick of time. It was very satisfying! During this chaos I did happen to look at one of my chapter values and it was inching close to 4k so I kept hammering away at the chapter modes. I think I got through 3 or 4 chapter modes of that movie that game. In the end, I blew up that Tortuga multiball with over a 100 gold going in playing as Gibbs and cracked my previous GC for just over a million and had 230 gold champ as well.
All in all; this game is exciting! it keeps you on your toes; you have to think fast and think ahead. It has great shots, fun toys, crazy diverters, wild ball feeds, lots of strategy, feel good moments followed with exciting call outs and more importantly, that one more game feel - it has tons of aspects that make you feel rewarded. This game smokes any other newer game out on the market now. Owners will not be disappointed. I don't see any other game out now, and possibly ever, that can match up to this pin. Yes, it is that good! For me, its not a matter of IF I'll get one, but when.

I feel the same way about the game...although you articulated everything better than I could at this point. I'm looking forward to getting my LE and definitely think it has a chance to be one of, if not the best game ever.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rockytop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4?tu=Rockytop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.