Topic Stats

• 3,753 posts
  • 528 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Zampinator
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 260 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181026_122121778 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_131620186 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_133524638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_101424526 (resized).jpg
IMG_0665 (resized).JPG
20180407_181132 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180413-205239 (resized).png
20180327_165820 (resized).jpg
20180412_183405 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 76.
#401 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If pinball had revolved around Muppets and kids "films" and a bunch of movie merch characters I doubt it would have been as mesmerizing, captivating, impactful and intriguing. Or fun.

Welcome to the new age of pinball.

#402 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Welcome to the new age of pinball.

And I'll say this about Magic Girl...she is so damn sexy! I really miss that element in today's games.

Although The Aerosmith "Love in an Elevator" MB animation is vintage pinball sex appeal.

#403 2 years ago

And I'll say this about Magic Girl...she is so damn sexy! I really miss that element in today's games.
Although The Aerosmith "Love in an Elevator" MB animation is vintage pinball sex appeal.

Best animation in the game. Never skip it.

#404 2 years ago

What would make the game really compelling in your opinion?

Why can't you try to imagine? Let's check your ratings...Avengers #5

"Update: i've increased my rating based on the fact that I cannot stop playing this game. ... This pin IS NOT the movie. Its a pinball machine, and the voices work and to me, now represent the pinball machine very well. "

So it isn;t really the movie that matters?

AFM #4
"Humor and creativity in sounds and dots are more important than current pinball makers seem to realize."

Toy Story is plenty funny and and JJP are making creative games right?

IM #3

" IM s a throwback to the old days, when the games were designed to beat you. So beating IM feels good."

maybe the game will play awesome...don;t here you saying anything aboot IM being a great theme or just like the movies

Etc etc etc...

I'm heading down to my basement to play Flash Gordon....a fantastic movie i love with tons of great moments that have nothing to do with the pinball machine (other than plastic art). Whom cares?

#405 2 years ago

Toy Story? Really guys? I mean, MEN? I've heard from many a dude that Toy Story is a dream theme for them. Jesus, why? It's a cartoon. For kids!

Well I guess I am a muppet of a man!

#406 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

All 3 movies have so many great action/escape scenes, funny characters, scenarios. First movie alone, you could do stuff with the army men, Buzz doing loop-de-loops on the racetrack in Andy's room, Pizza Planet & the aliens in the claw machine, stuff based on Syd's room with the "mutant" toys, Syd's dog, escaping from getting blown up by Syd, flying through the air to catch the moving truck with the other toys....I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff I'm forgetting...but the 3 movies have tons of fun content that would lend themselves to modes and multiballs, fun and humor. As for playfield toys - it's TOY Story, c'mon!

Quoted from trunchbull:

I could imagine a pin that's themed after one of the space adventures Buzz Lightyear is meant to have had. You know, defeat Zurg, lock a ball with THE CLAW, get help from the other Toy Story characters (it could even be the space adventure Buzz thinks he's on in the first movie). The Buzz Lightyear rides all have cool visual elements, so I could see that being a huge bonus, especially in barcades and dark environments where a blacklight or other creative lighting effects might be used.
edit: I mean, come on, a Mrs Nesbit mode? Everything goes pink and wonky until you get Buzz's arm back?

Thanks guys. I appreciate you sharing these ideas. And we may well find out. Rumors have been strong for this.

#407 2 years ago

I'd say what element I miss in today's games, but I've already been banned from several sub-forums for doing so.

I guess, in the end it is a handful of pinsiders that decide what is an OK theme today, and then as long as it is pinside friendly, it moves forward.

#408 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Why can't you try to imagine? Let's check your ratings...Avengers #5
"Update: i've increased my rating based on the fact that I cannot stop playing this game. ... This pin IS NOT the movie. Its a pinball machine, and the voices work and to me, now represent the pinball machine very well. "
So it isn;t really the movie that matters?
AFM #4
"Humor and creativity in sounds and dots are more important than current pinball makers seem to realize."
Toy Story is plenty funny and and JJP are making creative games right?
IM #3
" IM s a throwback to the old days, when the games were designed to beat you. So beating IM feels good."
maybe the game will play awesome...don;t here you saying anything aboot IM being a great theme or just like the movies
Etc etc etc...
I'm heading down to my basement to play Flash Gordon....a fantastic movie i love with tons of great moments that have nothing to do with the pinball machine (other than plastic art). Whom cares?

Fair points. I owned - and liked- TFLE and I never really got into Transformers toys at all. Too old when they hit the scene as toys. The movie franchise is kinda ridiculous too. And I'm not a fan of Shia Leboef.

Flash Gordon was a silly movie, but it had some babes and it had music by Queen (!) and was a pretty cool pin!

#409 2 years ago

I wish JJP would do the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Seriously though, Spooky should do it.

Silence of the Lambs.

Dr. Hannibal Lecter and Clarice!

I would put down fully paid $$ right now to get the first one off the line.

#410 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Silence of the Lambs.

Meh on that flick...but I'd do Manhunter for sure!

#411 2 years ago

West World would be a really neat theme. Hopkins could do the call out work. The show likely needs to mature another season or two before it gets made into a pin.

While on the idea of Westerns, how about Tombstone? If Pulp Fiction is big enough for Stern to do a pin then Tombstone is probably big enough.

#412 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Meh on that flick...but I'd do Manhunter for sure!

The tooth fairy killer. Yep, but can't beat Hopkins as Hannibal. And Buffalo Bill and the night vision goggles in total darkness!

#413 2 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

West World would be a really neat theme.

I'm in from jump street cause I love Yul Brynner!!!!!!!!!

#414 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And Buffalo Bill and the night vision goggles in total darkness!

Haha that's where we disagree...Cox was much better IMO. I didn't like Hopkins almost comedy approach to LecKtor.

But hey opinions are like pinball machines...pinside invented them.

Wait is that a saying?

#415 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wish JJP would do the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Seriously though, Spooky should do it.
Silence of the Lambs.

True Crime is all the rage now. A serial killer pin would rock. Manson Multiball.

#416 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha that's where we disagree...Cox was much better IMO. I didn't like Hopkins almost comedy approach to LecKtor.
But hey opinions are like pinball machines...pinside invented them.
Wait is that a saying?

Yeah that dude was hard core freaky. But Hopkins won an Oscar for that awesome performance.

Quoted from Rascal_H:

True Crime is all the rage now. A serial killer pin would rock. Manson Multiball.

Exactly what i was thinking. A serial killer all star pin. With the LCD now, how great could that be!

#417 2 years ago

I always get a kick out of the suggestions people have for new pinball machines. It's almost as if they just type whatever comes to their mind at the time.

"Have you ever seen the movie Six String Samurai? Awesome flick. Totally low budget. Sold about 13 tickets when it was being shown on one screen in Chicago. Would make a great pin!"

"My buddy plays in a band called Bubba and the Pickled Monkies. They play mostly other people's stuff, but sometimes they play original songs. No one but their close friends and family have ever heard of them, but JJP or Stern should totally make a pin about them!"

Enough already!

And by the way, I will not support anything with Johnny Depp's likeness after the "jokes" he made about a certain someone who currently resides in the White House.

#418 2 years ago

If you want titties, go to redtube.

Quoted from dirtbag66:

And by the way, I will not support anything with Johnny Depp's likeness after the "jokes" he made about a certain someone who currently resides in the White House.

Yeah, it was a pretty unfunny joke. I've always been partial to variations on "other than that, how was the play?"

#420 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah that dude was hard core freaky. But Hopkins won an Oscar for that awesome performance.

Exactly what i was thinking. A serial killer all star pin. With the LCD now, how great could that be!

Did you watch the Hannibal TV series they put out a couple years ago? Mads Mikkelsen is FANTASTIC as Hannibal. I believe the 3 seasons are still on Amazon Prime Video if you haven't watched them. Highly recommended.

#421 2 years ago

How bout a get the key from the dog mode.

giphy.gif

#422 2 years ago

I would love to see a Mel Brooks pin, in particular Blazing Saddles. It could have some of the greatest callouts and modes. At the end of the game I can already hear "Somebody's gotta go back and get a shit-load of dimes!". Has anybody ever done a Mel brooks pin?

#423 2 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

I would love to see a Mel Brooks pin, in particular Blazing Saddles. It could have some of the greatest callouts and modes. At the end of the game I can already hear "Somebody's gotta go back and get a shit-load of dimes!". Has anybody ever done a Mel brooks pin?

Yeah, have to be a bit selective with Blazing Saddles quotes as I don't think anyone wants a machine on site using the N-word, yelling about "Kansas City Faggots" or "I like rape".....but there are some great callout options still.

Drain the ball - "Mongo only pawn in the game of life."
Shoot Again - "Excuse me while I whip this out"
Jackpot - "Candygram for Mongo!"

Plenty of other great quotes from other mel brooks movies - especially history of the world part I

#424 2 years ago
Quoted from resipsa:

Yeah, have to be a bit selective with Blazing Saddles quotes as I don't think anyone wants a machine on site using the N-word, yelling about "Kansas City Faggots" or "I like rape".....but there are some great callout options still.

I do.

#425 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Nope, Toy Story was first. 1995

OK I see where I got confused. Bug's Life did come out first on DVD, as Toy Story had already come out on VHS and was pre-DVD.

#426 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Bug's Life did come out first on DVD, as Toy Story had already come out on VHS and was pre-DVD.

Ah Yes I remember having the Toy Story Laserdisk It's funny trying to think back 0n it now but that shit was mindblowing back then.

#427 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ah Yes I remember having the Toy Story Laserdisk It's funny trying to think back 0n it now but that shit was mindblowing back then.

Yeah, I remember it was a $100+ laserdisc box set. I kept returning it because I kept getting defective ones (there were some bad LD factories back then)...ended up just returning the 3rd set and getting a refund. No regrets, we've got 3D Blu-Rays now! WOO!

#428 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, I remember it was a $100+ laserdisc box set. I kept returning it because I kept getting defective ones (there were some bad LD factories back then)...ended up just returning the 3rd set and getting a refund. No regrets, we've got 3D Blu-Rays now! WOO!

I keep an operational LD player on hand still for Star Wars as it was meant to be.

#429 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, I remember it was a $100+ laserdisc box set....

Seems liek a bargin next to that 4 disc 2001 box set i had!

Quoted from merccat:

I keep an operational LD player on hand still for Star Wars as it was meant to be.

N.I.C.E!

#430 2 years ago

Well if it's Big Trouble in Little China or Back to the Future I am in 100% on it just based on theme! Anything else I'd take a wait and see approach....I do love the JJP games and think they have taken the #1 spot from Stern when it comes to pinball machines today. I can't wait to hear what it is.

#431 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Star Wars Despecialized HD version. This was how it was meant to be:

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/id/12713

#432 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I still have an LD player that kinda sorts sometimes works...but man, movies look like shit on it compared to Blu-Ray or even DVD. Thankfully I don't care about Star Wars...but I still have my LD player for a few animation box sets like Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry, etc.

#433 2 years ago

I have mad respect for JJP, and I might even buy a DI someday, but the "family friendly" theme MO is too restrictive IMO.

Edit: Nevermind, I wasn't that only one that saw the irony in this statement.

#434 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...but I still have my LD player for a few animation box sets like Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry, etc.

Ditto - Avery, T&J, Happy Harmonies, GALT Discs!!!

#435 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I still have an LD player that kinda sorts sometimes works...but man, movies look like shit on it compared to Blu-Ray or even DVD. Thankfully I don't care about Star Wars...but I still have my LD player for a few animation box sets like Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry, etc.

I found when running the SVideo out through an HDMI up converter it looked like garbage. Ended up running an SVideo line straight to my projector, bypassing the reciever.... yeah it was no blue ray but was decent.

That despecialized version sounds interesting, will have to read up on it.

#436 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

The perfect theme that hasn't been done that would make a *killer* pin:
Big Trouble in Little China

Yep.

77a97c44c6ead8ccbba2fc5f94a16b5c728e2d4d (resized).jpg

#437 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I found when running the SVideo out through an HDMI up converter it looked like garbage. Ended up running an SVideo line straight to my projector, bypassing the reciever.... yeah it was no blue ray but was decent.
That despecialized version sounds interesting, will have to read up on it.

It's really a cool story on how they made it and how a group of rabid fans could do what George Lucas refused to do. It's a pretty long rabbit hole learning about it, but incredibly interesting if you're a Star Wars fan. You'll never want to watch any other version ever again. They did it for 4, 5 and 6.

It's my understanding that they used the LD as a blueprint for what the movie should look like. Then they took the 2011 BluRay and a bunch of other sources to re-create an HD version of what the movies looked like originally in Theaters. I have the theatrical editions from 2003(?) that includes a transfer of the Laser Disc. Ultimately though, the Despecialized edition is the way to go. All you have to do is download them for free, throw it on a thumb drive and stick it into your SmartHDTV. No more CGI Jabba, Han shoots first, ghost Anakin is gone, etc.

#438 2 years ago

Anyone still have a DIVX player?

#439 2 years ago

I think a 'The Fifth Element' or Galaxy Quest' pin would rock!

#440 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You need to watch LD on the old cathode ray technology. They look like crap on HD screens. The audio on LDs from m back then though might even sound better than the stuff coming out now. They really did audio right back then.

Now, about Big Trouble in a little China...is this a cult classic, niche movie? I never saw it. The title implied to me, back then, that it was a low value, opportunistic cash grab, derivative of more popular movies of the time like BTTF, Indiana Jones, Romancing the Stone, etc. Plus, Kurt Russel was kind of an after thought at that time. Yet I keep seeing people say they love this movie. Is it really good, or just kind of kitschy?

And why would it make a good pin?

#441 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

But what do you watch it on? A 1996 ProScan?

#442 2 years ago

Yet I keep seeing people say they love this movie. Is it really good, or just kind of kitschy?

It's John Carpenter in his prime, and him doing a comedy-ish; it's a work of art.

#443 2 years ago

You need to watch LD on the old cathode ray technology. They look like crap on HD screens. The audio on LDs from m back then though might even sound better than the stuff coming out now. They really did audio right back then.

Sorry, I'm watching Blu-Ray on a projector and it looks just like real film at a theater. Not going back to a CRT to help old LD's look better. They were better than VHS, absolutely. Now? Terrible. LD sound isn't better than Blu-Ray. It's a non issue anyway since the last movie released on LD was prob like 20 years ago.

#444 2 years ago

Manhunter is the superior version and 80's Capenter is the shit.

images (resized).jpg

#445 2 years ago

Now, about Big Trouble in a little China...is this a cult classic, niche movie? I never saw it. The title implied to me, back then, that it was a low value, opportunistic cash grab, derivative of more popular movies of the time like BTTF, Indiana Jones, Romancing the Stone, etc. Plus, Kurt Russel was kind of an after thought at that time. Yet I keep seeing people say they love this movie. Is it really good, or just kind of kitschy?
And why would it make a good pin?

It is just a fun action movie with great humor, plenty of great quotes, and a good storyline that has aged really, really well. You have several good guys as well as multiple bad guys, Lo-Pan and his 3 underlings Thunder, Rain, and Lightning. You have several good action scenes throughout that would make good modes. I just think it would translate so well into a pin, especially seeing the Translate like pic above confirms it even more.

It is worth seeing, just a good funny action popcorn muncher. There has been some talk to resurrect the movie and redo it again, but it would be hard to top the originality of the first one.

#446 2 years ago

New Dr.Who?

#447 2 years ago

Man that's a niche market right there.

#448 2 years ago

I still think a great theme would be Legend of Zelda. 3 side modes, 6 temples modes. Dark link battle mini wizard, Ganon wizard. Could collect sword, shield and bow to make modes worth more or give modes more shots. Sound effects and music (OoT) already exist. I could go on

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

I still think a great theme would be Legend of Zelda. 3 side modes, 6 temples modes. Dark link battle mini wizard, Ganon wizard. Could collect sword, shield and bow to make modes worth more or give modes more shots. Sound effects and music (OoT) already exist. I could go on

The last time Nintendo licensed out Zelda, it didn't go so well...

#450 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

The last time Nintendo licensed out Zelda, it didn't go so well...
ยป YouTube video

Cuz what a horrible game developer did 25 years ago is relevant to today.

Quoted from playboywillis:

Nintendo Switch for $299 and Zelda Breath of the Wild for $60 ....or a $9000 Pinball machine?

If you're a Zelda fan....just get a Switch. I've got 180 hours on Zelda...not sure I've ever put that amount of time on a pinball machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 28.00
Wanted
$ 189.00
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 76.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside