FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 76.
#3451 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's June 22nd at the earliest, and likely July, then.

I knew it wldnt be ready 1st quarter of this year.....

#3452 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Hope springs eternal, but Jack will have to wait probably until 2019 before he gets two new pins shipped in one year at this rate.

#3453 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I was certainly hoping as they have had 3 great pins ahead of it and I expected that Jack and Team would have a better idea of turn-around from a production perspective, knowing that it doesn't have to ship with full code.

What doesn't seem to jive is that the Jack or someone at JJP said Q1 (let's even say end of) then recently it is said that Jack says that 'they are on schedule' (hear say I know) yet we seem to be talking Q3 now.

Bummer as I would have bought something else to tie me over but I'm locked up on this now. Oh well, here is hoping for a turn of events on production...

#3454 6 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I was certainly hoping as they have had 3 great pins ahead of it and I expected that Jack and Team would have a better idea of turn-around from a production perspective, knowing that it doesn't have to ship with full code.
What doesn't seem to jive is that the Jack or someone at JJP said Q1 (let's even say end of) then recently it is said that Jack says that 'they are on schedule' (hear say I know) yet we seem to be talking Q3 now.
Bummer as I would have bought something else to tie me over but I'm locked up on this now. Oh well, here is hoping for a turn of events on production...

Yea im probably goona buy something else for now and push my deposit back depending when they call for payment.... im supposed to be very early on list.... will see what happens.

#3455 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

Today's video is Epic!
Wow, what a game!!!
» YouTube video

It certainly seems this is an amazing machine!!!! Cannot wait to get some time on one, and not regretting my decision to get in on the CE early. Gameplay looks really, really, fun...

#3456 6 years ago

I played Pirates many times during TPF and was blown away by it, as was my wife. This game has so much going on and is so well integrated into the whole pirate experience. Tons of fun and I just kept coming back for more despite the three games having consistently long lines.

We spoke with all the JJP folks and with Christopher from KingPin Games and ordered an LE from him. I think it is a hidden blessing that they did not get the rights to unlimited movie clips. Instead, JJP got very creative in producing screen content that is useful to the shooter and not just entertaining for bystanders. They have found a way to use this and the small compass screen below the flippers to guide you through an immense game. The fun level is unbelievable!

#3457 6 years ago

I'm still getting flashes of JJPOTC "At World's End" Multi-ball followed by some underwater "on stranger tides" Mulit-ball.
Such excitement and a solid shot layout.
Thank you for bringing to TPF.

#3458 6 years ago

Here's a couple notes about the camera on the game. During the JJP TPF seminar Eric mentioned that the camera will be used for high scores so I think that means high score pictures. He said he can't say anything beyond that so it sounds like there may be more uses of the camera.

I think a really cool and fun use of the camera would be to create "wanted" pirate posters that feature the players face. This could be featured in high scores and / or even during gameplay in certain modes.

If possible the posters could look something like below and when "caught" during gameplay would award the listed bounty. This feature could work when even one player is playing as well as on location by seeing the wanted posters and bounties of players that have posted existing high scores. The higher a players high score the greater the bounty point total.

c983c54ec93ca49739990c874cd3bc3c (resized).jpgc983c54ec93ca49739990c874cd3bc3c (resized).jpg

#3459 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's a couple notes about the camera on the game. During the JJP TPF seminar Eric mentioned that the camera will be used for high scores so I think that means high score pictures. He said he can't say anything beyond that so it sounds like there may be more uses of the camera.
I think a really cool and fun use of the camera would be to create "wanted" pirate posters that feature the players face. This could be featured in high scores and / or even during gameplay in certain modes.
If possible the posters could look something like below and when "caught" during gameplay would award the listed bounty. This feature could work when even one player is playing as well as on location by seeing the wanted posters and bounties of players that have posted existing high scores. The higher a players high score the greater the bounty point total.

Dude! That was my question at TPF about the camera hahaha!!! How awesome!!! Glad to know it wasn't a total boneheaded question. But yeah his answer gets me so excited about the possibilities with the camera. Especially with the high quality video it is putting out for the weekly JJP videos.

#3460 6 years ago
Quoted from drewski28:

Dude! That was my question at TPF about the camera hahaha!!! How awesome!!! Glad to know it wasn't a total boneheaded question. But yeah his answer gets me so excited about the possibilities with the camera. Especially with the high quality video it is putting out for the weekly JJP videos.

Haha, that is awesome. Great question. Really looking forward to what uses JJP comes up with for the camera on POTC.

#3461 6 years ago

Was wondering about the camera, wow this is awesome! Just keeps getting better and better!

#3462 6 years ago

Jack didn't say early summer. He said they will ship some time during the summer, but no later.

I was talking with Butch Peel, who is working a lot with the production parts suppliers and he thinks it will be August. The slowdown is 2 things: the chest and the spinning concentric discs (map). The chest ball lock was re-designed, and the discs are not yet where they want them to be.

He also said once that is figured out they will make 20 games using the production parts and put those games on route to see how they do. THEN they will make the mass order of parts. Production can not start if 1 part is not in stock. JJP doesn't want a massive recall and they also want this game to be amazing right out of the box.

Butch said JJP strongly considered not unveiling Pirates until TPF, and now think they probably should have waited. I asked since this game won't come out until late summer, is it likely JJP5 will be announced at TPF next year. The answer I got was that it hasn't been decided, but that is likely what is to happen. Pat Lawlor is designing JJP5 (lots of toys) and Eric Meunier is on JJP6.

Screenshot_20180320-115008_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180320-115008_Gallery (resized).jpg

#3463 6 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Jack didn't say early summer. He said they will ship some time during the summer, but no later.
I was talking with Butch Peel, who is working a lot with the production parts suppliers and he thinks it will be August. The slowdown is 2 things: the chest and the spinning concentric discs (map). The chest ball lock was re-designed, and the discs are not yet where they want them to be.
He also said once that is figured out they will make 20 games using the production parts and put those games on route to see how they do. THEN they will make the mass order of parts. Production can not start if 1 part is not in stock. JJP doesn't want a massive recall and they also want this game to be amazing right out of the box.
Butch said JJP strongly considered not unveiling Pirates until TPF, and now think they probably should have waited. I asked since this game won't come out until late summer, is it likely JJP5 will be announced at TPF next year. The answer I got was that it hasn't been decided, but that is likely what is to happen. Pat Lawlor is designing JJP5 (TS) and Eric Meunier is on JJP6.

Wow thats disappointing.... ill be getting my deposit back more than likely and buying other stuff in the meantime. They are gonna lose some sales bc of the slow rollout no doubt.

#3464 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wow thats disappointing.... ill be getting my deposit back more than likely and buying other stuff in the meantime. They are gonna lose some sales bc of the slow rollout no doubt.

That's understandable. But this is speculation and it may still come earlier.

A movie trailer comes out a year in advance and people still go see it. You can have an itch to buy something else, but there isn't a game out there that's in the same league with this one, imo (except Dialed In). It's worth the wait and it won't be a disappointment when you get it.

#3465 6 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

That's understandable. But this is speculation and it may still come earlier.
A movie trailer comes out a year in advance and people still go see it. You can have an itch to buy something else, but there isn't a game out there that's in the same league with this one, imo (except Dialed In). It's worth the wait and it won't be a disappointment when you get it.

Meh.. i sold some pins to make room for it bc it was supposed to start shipping 1st quarter and its looking like second or third at earliest. I understand they want it to be perfect do thats fine. Just so many new pins and great used pins becoming available this year. Ill keep the deposit since its small but my potcle money will be spent elsewhere for now. If it starts shipping and im not ready ill push it back ... no big deal i guess but waiting a year sucks lol.

#3466 6 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I played Pirates many times during TPF and was blown away by it, as was my wife. This game has so much going on and is so well integrated into the whole pirate experience. Tons of fun and I just kept coming back for more despite the three games having consistently long lines.
We spoke with all the JJP folks and with Christopher from KingPin Games and ordered an LE from him. I think it is a hidden blessing that they did not get the rights to unlimited movie clips. Instead, JJP got very creative in producing screen content that is useful to the shooter and not just entertaining for bystanders. They have found a way to use this and the small compass screen below the flippers to guide you through an immense game. The fun level is unbelievable!

Thanks for stopping by and talking with all of us. The response from TPF was amazing!

#3467 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

But you had to know what was going to happen BigD?

Never been able to count on timelines at JJP, instead of years we are down to several months delay.

I doubt I see my CE before Expo but I'm still keeping it and fully expected it to be further delayed. There is a lot of moving parts on that PF and things to tweak.

I'm ok with it, if it comes earlier, great!

#3468 6 years ago

Yes I agree better they get it right than just ship it out then everyone just complains on pinside. A few months or even 6 months difference is not an issue .

#3469 6 years ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

Yes I agree better they get it right than just ship it out then everyone just complains on pinside. A few months or even 6 months difference is not an issue .

I agree. The communication and transparency has been good, as have the streams from Eric, Keefer, and Joe.

I don't fault JJP a bit for how they are approaching this. I'm glad they made a fantastic game that's worth buying. It will get here when it gets here.

#3470 6 years ago

I for one and very happy that they take the time to build multiple prototypes that go on route, to shows, and in general gte the crap beat out of them so they can then redesign mechs and make things more robust for the actual production games.

JJP is doing it right compared to some others that are shipping crap with all sorts of issues.

#3471 6 years ago

Totally agree! I can wait, I have two working pins and restoring my F-14. That’s keeping me busy as well as the honey do list!!!

#3472 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I for one and very happy that they take the time to build multiple prototypes that go on route, to shows, and in general gte the crap beat out of them so they can then redesign mechs and make things more robust for the actual production games.
JJP is doing it right compared to some others that are shipping crap with all sorts of issues.

Agreed. Think about how much pinside lights up on fire when another company ships new games that have mechanical bugs right from the get go. I really admire JJP’s desire to test, test again and test again to fix such issues.

#3473 6 years ago

I haven't been in this thread since the expo reveal. But I was so impressed with this game at TPF, it is now the first JJP game that is officially on my radar for my basement. I want to play it again! It was really cool how Eric was on the show floor basically the entire time. Fantastic!

#3474 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I haven't been in this thread since the expo reveal. But I was so impressed with this game at TPF, it is now the first JJP game that is officially on my radar for my basement. I want to play it again! It was really cool how Eric was on the show floor basically the entire time. Fantastic!

I couldn't agree more. I had my first opportunity to play it @ TPF and I was blown away. Glad I put down the deposit the day after the reveal. It’s just on another level.

#3475 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's high praise from a good player.

Thanks Aurich! we need to get together for some pinball again.

#3476 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

It’s just on another level.

This is so true. Especially compared to everything else out there; new and old.

#3477 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Not from me. I can wait for a pin this good (I haven't played it but I trust you guys). I sold seven games to make room and have money for four new ones this year. JJPOTC's spot will be waiting for it until it arrives.

#3478 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thanks Aurich! we need to get together for some pinball again.

Come play my TNA. I'm beta testing stuff from Scott all the time, which means I have an excuse to wipe your score after you leave.

#3479 6 years ago

Just placed an order for an LE. I rewatched the Straight Down the Middle Pirates videos they did with Eric and Keith and they have sold me on the game. As a fan of objective based rulesets and loaded games POTC appears to be the ultimate pin.

There's just so much being offered by this game in terms of toys, shots and software. The amount of work going into the software for POTC will give it legs for years to come. POTC in my opinion comes across as a mix of WOZ, TH, Simpons and LOTR on steroids. Very excited to own this game.

#3480 6 years ago

^Congrats PF!

I had asked a distributor I know about his thoughts on the game (before I had a chance to play it) and he said, if you can only own one game....this is the one.

After playing it and watching all of the streams I can definitely see where he's coming from now. There's just so much there....I think it'll be tough to get bored of it.

#3481 6 years ago

Can't make enough compliments regarding the sculpts that I noticed at TPF.
In particular, the ship lights on the upper playfield and the dark eerie flicker they evoked.
maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#3482 6 years ago

After playing this at TPF, I have to say I'm a fan too. Great game, especially once you get the hang of basic rules (even that took some time) - I can only imagine how deep this will eventually be. Can there be such a thing as too deep when it comes to pinball?

#3483 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I agree with the wanted poster idea. That would be cool.

However i have a question. This would be my first NIB JJP pin. I own a TH Smaug edition. And seeing what JJP did with TH and how it had 2 more special editions. Im one of those guys. That it really bugs me if I was to buy a basic LE. Then they release a Black Pearl Edition a year after. So that in mind its my only hold back from putting in my pre order now. Id like to get some feed back if theres any guys out there that bought a LE WOZ or a LE TH. Then the ruby red was released or the black arrow or smaug was released. How did you feel and what did you do>? I tend to hold onto my machines. I hate to go through the whole selling process. Then i hate to lose thousands on trade if this were to happen. So id probably never upgrade. If this was a pro model price range pin it wouldnt be such a big deal. Somebody had mentioned cars as a comparison and car manufacturers do this all the time. For one with cars it usually takes more then a year for that to happen. And also with cars theres much more of a aftermarket presence. Most of the time its just HP which you could get double more for half the price on the aftermarket. I dont know im overthinking it i know. It just would be a real bummer for them to release a special edition in a year or 2 with exclusive look. And i like the idea of a black pearl edition a lot. But i dont want to wait around that long. So im basically screwed. "Rolleyes"

#3484 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

However i have a question. This would be my first NIB JJP pin. I own a TH Smaug edition. And seeing what JJP did with TH and how it had 2 more special editions. Im one of those guys. That it really bugs me if I was to buy a basic LE. Then they release a Black Pearl Edition a year after. So that in mind its my only hold back from putting in my pre order now. Id like to get some feed back if theres any guys out there that bought a LE WOZ or a LE TH. Then the ruby red was released or the black arrow or smaug was released. How did you feel and what did you do>? I tend to hold onto my machines. I hate to go through the whole selling process. Then i hate to lose thousands on trade if this were to happen. So id probably never upgrade. If this was a pro model price range pin it wouldnt be such a big deal. Somebody had mentioned cars as a comparison and car manufacturers do this all the time. For one with cars it usually takes more then a year for that to happen. And also with cars theres much more of a aftermarket presence. Most of the time its just HP which you could get double more for half the price on the aftermarket. I dont know im overthinking it i know. It just would be a real bummer for them to release a special edition in a year or 2 with exclusive look. And i like the idea of a black pearl edition a lot. But i dont want to wait around that long. So im basically screwed. "Rolleyes"

I guess it depends on which look you like best... for me I like the ECLE color over the RR so RR doesn’t bother me. Everything else was available as a mod so it allowed me to take what I wanted (castle walls and lolipop decals) and leave what I didn’t (tornado).

#3485 6 years ago

bgwilly31 I was ok with my prepaid WOZ and TH. Every new version of WOZ costs more than the previous. Let them make more versions. I could afford so much.

When TH came out and then Smaug was announced and later a Black Arrow edition (my preference) those buyers paid considerably more than me. So once again I say make more editions. I'll be enjoying my POTC for a few years before anything like that would occur. Life is short, buy the first edition LE that's available.

#3486 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

I wouldn't really worry about it. This one looks great, and if you feel the same way you should get it. They will sell a lot of these games and I can definitely see a separate premium edition once the LE run has been exhausted. I think Hobbit LE looks better than Black Arrow or Smaug. Pirates is fitting to come in Black. IDK what other powder coated color you would change it to. I don't think they'll have more toys in a future version. This game is already packed.

One thing we have confirmation that won't change is the number of Collector's Edition machines. Besides the CE topper, I prefer the LE look.

#3487 6 years ago

Is # of LEs confirmed?

I could see jjp doing a black pearl SE edition for $10.5k w/the black pearl in a bottle topper especially if/when they sell out of the LEs and CEs.

#3488 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is # of LEs confirmed?
I could see jjp doing a black pearl SE edition for $10.5k w/the black pearl in a bottle topper especially if/when they sell out of the LEs and CEs.

The LE is not limited in production. They will make it as long as there are buyers. The CE is the only # limit production at 200 units.

#3489 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

I have a Smaug and think the hammered look side rails are way nicer than the black arrow edition. I do think that having the boards in behind the backglass is a great feature as there is hardly any room under the playfield on mine.

#3490 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The LE is not limited in production. They will make it as long as there are buyers. The CE is the only # limit production at 200 units.

It says on the spec sheet that the LE’s are numbered. Just curious what the point is to numbering them if they are not limited in production. Seems weird to me.
It also says the LE comes with a laser cut topper...do we know anything about that yet?

#3491 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

It says on the spec sheet that the LE’s are numbered. Just curious what the point is to numbering them if they are not limited in production. Seems weird to me.
It also says the LE comes with a laser cut topper...do we know anything about that yet?

How can a LE be a LE if there is no limit to the amount made? Having a standard edition makes this even stranger.

#3492 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

How can a LE be a LE if there is no limit to the amount made? Having a standard edition makes this even stranger.

The Toyota Highlander now comes in LE, LE Plus, XLE, Limited, and Limited Platinum trim levels. lol

#3493 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Technically Every game from every manufacturer is numbered. What was a serial number is now an LE number but probably more visible with a decal showing your number at the playfield. Not sure but CE is the new LE as we knew it. lol

#3494 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It’s limited to how many they sell. It’s just a trim name really.

#3495 6 years ago

Non issue on timing imho. Get it right first time and hit it out of the park. Grand Slam. I would rather wait a few months for a perfect production game rather than something rushed into production. JJP means quality. Let's appreciate that ok?

#3496 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Its just a trim package like a car the way jjp does it.... which is fine by me.

#3497 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

The LE run on Dialed in is 2,500. The comparison sheet between the 3 models states the number. On the comparison sheet for Pirates, it says numbered, but doesn't show a limit.

Nothing has been released on the topper. I asked about the topper and the answer of, "It's going to be laser-etched," instead of, "It is laser-etched" with no other details makes you think that it hasn't been finished yet.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.44.05 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.44.05 PM (resized).png

20180321_234734 (resized).jpg20180321_234734 (resized).jpg

#3498 6 years ago
Quoted from chill:

The Toyota Highlander now comes in LE, LE Plus, XLE, Limited, and Limited Platinum trim levels. lol</blockquo te>
blockquote>

I have a Dodge "Limited" truck. The limit is on how many they can sell. For JJP, Limited Edition now has the same context.
If you truly want a limited quantity game, for now the Collectors Edition is your choice. My guess is that quite a few of these will be available once the $11,500 balance is due in 6-ish months. Lots of cool games coming in next six months for JJPoTC deposits to move to other purchases. IMO

#3499 6 years ago

Strategy and scoring.
What are the strategy’s?
Multiballs, chapters and what?

My favorite example, Shadow. On Shadow you have several options.
Shadow loops, battlefield, modes, multiballs and vengeance.

What would be the option in pirates?

To clarify, I am thinking first level. Wizard mode is after 5 chapters and multiball so that is out of the equation.

#3500 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Strategy and scoring.
What are the strategy’s?
Multiballs, chapters and what?
My favorite example, Shadow. On Shadow you have several options.
Shadow loops, battlefield, modes, multiballs and vengeance.
What would be the option in pirates?
To clarify, I am thinking first level. Wizard mode is after 5 chapters and multiball so that is out of the equation.

So here's something cool I learned from the Straight Down the Middle POTC video they did with JJP. Keith Johnson mentioned that wizard mode scoring is based off of the number of characters collected from a movies 5 chapters X the number of super jackpots made for that movies multiball.

While you don't need to complete a movies 5 modes to reach its wizard mode the more that are completed the better your wizard mode scoring will be. The more super jackpots earned for a movies multiball the greater your wizard mode scoring will be as well.

Also, the number of qualified movie modes impacts the shot multiplier when you start a mode. There's a shot on the playfield for each of the 5 movies which corresponds to the 5 cannon chapter slots on the LCD. The more chapters that are qualified before starting a mode the greater a chapters shot multiplier will be once it's started.

Assuming all 5 wizard modes are played (may have to be beaten, same with chapters and multiballs, not sure) you can start the games super wizard mode called "Break the Curse".

Finally the character you pick can influence your scoring as well which is really cool. I would highly recommend watching the entire Straight Down the Middle video with JJP to learn more, Keith even covers the abilities of all 20 something characters towards the end.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4/page/70?hl=georgeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.