Topic Stats

• 3,753 posts
  • 528 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Zampinator
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 260 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181026_122121778 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_131620186 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_133524638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_101424526 (resized).jpg
IMG_0665 (resized).JPG
20180407_181132 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180413-205239 (resized).png
20180327_165820 (resized).jpg
20180412_183405 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 76.
#3301 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is a pinball, not a movie player, get over it.

I'm putting this on a t-shirt. What's your size pascal?

#3302 1 year ago
Quoted from Raknitz:

the second one is the inlane sound, to loud, loo long, covering anything else beside the running circles : /

Quoted from Psw757:

Since we are discussing things we don't like, anyone notice a repetitive sound that is kind of like a partial sound. I haven't figured out what triggers it but wow is it used a lot and kind of annoying.

I think you guys are talking about the same thing. I have found this sound effect annoying as well and hope it gets toned down or changed. That's my only complaint though. This game looks fantastic!

#3303 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

Not sure how everyone else feels but I'm glad Johnny Depp's huge mug isn't plastered on that screen talking to me while I play. Just imagine how much everyone would be complaining about that. Careful what you wish for people.

Then don't make a game themed after PotC. Cause PotC = Jack Sparrow. He drives these movies.

Star Wars and The Hobbit have the best interactive way of using video clips and tie them into the gameplay in my opinion.
The problem I have with the modes/chapters in the JJPPotC is that the chapters are generic. The only reference with the movie is that you have to shoot the shots associated with the persons that are in the chapter of the movie. You could make endless modes if you would just let the game choose shots randomly for the modes.
One mode in pinball I realy like is the martell mode in GoT you have to play the fight between the red viper and the mountain. In this fight in the TV show the red viper circles around the mountain with a spear. And so you have to make orbit shots to circle around in the game and you finish the mode with a furious attack to the middle. That's what I call a good, fun mode that translates a theme into gameplay. SW and Hobbit are packed with those modes.
It is not the question how many videos and if it's a dot animation or a lcd video clip. It's how and what is used and a dress tossed into the sea doesn't start my heart pumping.
So far PotC looks more like it has a fun strategy board game style. I am hoping the wizard modes will change that.
As it is for now I have to play PotC alot before deciding to buy it.

#3304 1 year ago
Quoted from Asael:

Then don't make a game themed after PotC. Cause PotC = Jack Sparrow. He drives these movies.

I guess my comment is based on the fact that half the people are complaining about seeing his face on the playfield and the other half are complaining that they can't watch the movie while they're playing.

I'm sure they have a lot to add still but I think the theme is well integrated as is. There is nothing displayed on that screen right now that I'll get tired of looking at. Watching movie clip after movie clip, over and over again, is not something I need to have playing pinball.

#3305 1 year ago

No BM66 has the best video integration and it’s not even close. Throw in call outs from Adam West and Burt Ward and it’s what everybody seems to want every time a pin is released

As for Potc. I don’t really care about the video. The movies sucked except the first one and anything that gets put up on the screen will be cool

And I’m getting a CE so I don’t have to look at Depp, besides the fact that the topper is awesome!

#3306 1 year ago
Quoted from Asael:

Star Wars and The Hobbit have the best interactive way of using video clips and tie them into the gameplay in my opinion.
The problem I have with the modes/chapters in the JJPPotC I have is that the chapters are generic. The only reference with the movie is that you have to shoot the shots associated with the persons that are in the chapter of the movie. You could make endless modes if you would just let the game choose shots randomly for the modes.
One mode in pinball I realy like is the martell mode in GoT you have to play the fight between the red viper and the mountain. In this fight in the TV show the red viper circles around the mountain with a spear. And so you have to make orbit shots to circle around in the game and you finish the mode with a furious attack to the middle. That's what I call a good, fun mode that translates a theme into gameplay. SW and Hobbit are packed with those modes.
It is not the question how many videos and if it's a dot animation or a lcd video clip. It's how and what is used and a dress tossed into the sea doesn't start my heart pumping.
So far PotC looks more like it has a fun strategy board game style. I am hoping the wizard modes will change that.
As it is for now I have to play PotC alot before deciding to buy it.

Quoted from pipes:

I guess my comment is based on the fact that half the people are complaining about seeing his face on the playfield and the other half are complaining that they can't watch the movie while they're playing.

I don't want to see Jack Sparrow non stop or plastered over anything but he does have some funny lines that would fit this machine well, even if just an audio snippet.

As for the video/movie thing, I think a lot of people are missing the point of what people are saying. It's the picture content they used, yes it's high quality but don't see how any of it is relevant to what you are doing in the game. I'm spending 10k and am buying either way as a good shooting pinball machine and a fan of the franchise and this is just my opinion.

If we don't want any pictures or video how bout we get rid of the big tv in the back box and we go old school. Save everyone a couple buck and you want have to watch movies or pictures or see anything.

#3307 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If we don't want any pictures or video how bout we get rid of the big tv in the back box and we go old school. Save everyone a couple buck and you want have to watch movies or pictures or see anything.

What is shown on that LCD is not possible on a DMD. You look up and you have everything you need, all the info, displayed right in front of you at all times. I think it's great....with or without movie clips. I love DMD's but let's be serious.

#3308 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m getting a CE

I wish I could get one but the the wife would really de-nut me! Even though they are really already in her purse

#3309 1 year ago

I love mode based games. I was hoping this was the one to rule them all. Hobbit is mode heavy, but with the current code, no need to play more than 1.
When I look at the streams (excellent streams!) all I see is multiballs. They never even try to finish a mode off. That worries me. Multiballs are fun, but after 30 minutes of it, nope

#3310 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

displayed right in front of you at all times

I agree and definitely like it better than woz. I did not dig the 4 boxes that are on the screen most of the time.

#3311 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And I’m getting a CE so I don’t have to look at Depp

With the creativity on pinside, maybe someone will make a sticker with the other guys face?

#3312 1 year ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I wish I could get one but the the wife would really de-nut me! Even though they are really already in her purse

You have to be sneaky!

She always tells me, “bought this or that on sale”, or “it was for the kids and not me”

Whatever, I see lots of card swiping so I give up on that front with 3 girls and they leave me alone about pinball

Happy wife happy life

#3313 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

I'm putting this on a t-shirt. What's your size pascal?

xl please

#3314 1 year ago

Nice! I can make the font bigger

#3315 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

What is shown on that LCD is not possible on a DMD. You look up and you have everything you need, all the info, displayed right in front of you at all times. I think it's great....with or without movie clips. I love DMD's but let's be serious.

That isn't what I was saying.... it is great with or without clips. What I'm saying is I would rather have no clips and just the map and animations. The video clips they used for the most part have no correlation to what your doing in the gameplay so I don't get that. Can I live with them....yes. I just think they could have used better clips without infringing on licensing issues thats all, I'm spending the 10k so I get to voice my opinion. If I was just dropping quarters in the machine on location I wouldn't give a shit.

#3316 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

That isn't what I was saying.... it is great with or without clips. What I'm saying is I would rather have no clips and just the map and animations. The video clips they used for the most part have no correlation to what your doing in the gameplay so I don't get that. Can I live with them....yes. I just think they could have used better clips without infringing on licensing issues thats all, I'm spending the 10k so I get to voice my opinion. If I was just dropping quarters in the machine on location I wouldn't give a shit.

If only my english would be better. You put in a few words what I wanted to write the whole time!

#3317 1 year ago
Quoted from Asael:

If only my english would be better. You put in a few words what I wanted to write the whole time!

Lol....

#3318 1 year ago

Agree with the other caller who said it feels like a Slot Machine from Japan. Now the code is deeper than a slot, but the presentation seems like an overseas company is trying to use Pirates theme without getting sued. JJP has the license, just telling you the vibe it gives off.

Why is the music so quiet? I watched hours of live stream.

#3319 1 year ago

A lot of what makes a great game is about the sound and callouts. Not having movie clip voices and only ONE actor giving callouts does hurt this game. Imagine LOTR or TSPP with no voice clips from the movies/show and only ONE actor giving the callouts! They would both be great games, but they would lose quite a bit of sparkle. Imagine if TH only had Smaug quotes! It’s obvious it hurts the game in some way.

#3320 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Imagine LOTR or TSPP with no voice clips from the movies/show and only ONE actor giving the callouts!

Haha I read somewhere that TSPP in fact WAS only one actor !! But one that does more voices in the show. That is why you never hear Lisa or Marge saying anything.

All a lot of drama for nothing. Aurich was right on the money, if you want the movies, then buy the movies. A lot cheaper. When you are playing you will enjoy the game so much that you will never miss the movieclips and the callouts are from one of the main characters. That is more than can be said about TWD or even GB as Ernie Hudson was not one of the original ghostbusters.

edit: by the way: The Hobbit is a bad example, as there are no original callouts by original actors in that game. Just voice-alikes. So POTC is again better than that.

#3321 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Haha I read somewhere that TSPP in fact WAS only one actor !! But one that does more voices in the show. That is why you never hear Lisa or Marge saying anything.
All a lot of drama for nothing. Aurich was right on the money, if you want the movies, then buy the movies. A lot cheaper. When you are playing you will enjoy the game so much that you will never miss the movieclips and the callouts are from one of the main characters. That is more than can be said about TWD or even GB as Ernie Hudson was not one of the original ghostbusters.
edit: by the way: The Hobbit is a bad example, as there are no original callouts by original actors in that game. Just voice-alikes. So POTC is again better than that.

TSPP has at least 3 official actors: Dan Castelleneta, Hank Azaria, and Nancy Cartwright.
TH has full rights to voices in the movie and movie clips. Imagine if it didn’t have that! It’s a good example.
I would totally be happy with sound-alikes for POTC ala Gandalf in TH! Better than one official actor only.

#3322 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

TSPP has at least 3 official actors: Dan Castelleneta, Hank Azaria, and Nancy Cartwright.
I would totally be happy with sound-alikes for POTC ala Gandalf in TH! Better than one official actor only.

Ok, I stand corrected, but IF they would do sound-alikes, there would again be others that would crap on that too. I am getting a little fed up with all the drama before even the software is finished.

The manufacturers just cannot win: hire all the official actors and the machine will be priced too high, get sound-alikes and get boooh'd for that, get one real main character and get crap for that too. Second example: Show the game early and get crapped on but get real life data on how to make the games better, or just show the machine very late and get crap.

#3323 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Ok, I stand corrected, but IF they would do sound-alikes, there would again be others that would crap on that too. I am getting a little fed up with all the drama before even the software is finished.
The manufacturers just cannot win: hire all the official actors and the machine will be priced too high, get sound-alikes and get boooh'd for that, get one real main character and get crap for that too. Second example: Show the game early and get crapped on but get real life data on how to make the games better, or just show the machine very late and get crap.

I agree with all that! Let's wait for the final product, I think Eric said there is more to be coded and added these types of things are the polish.

#3324 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

» YouTube video

Anyone else having trouble seeing this video in Youtube? Any other youtube videos are working for me except this.

#3325 1 year ago
Quoted from drewski28:

Anyone else having trouble seeing this video in Youtube? Any other youtube videos are working for me except this.

Yup, been trying since yesterday and can't get it to work. I thought it was just me having issues. I ended up watching it on Twitch instead. That works.

#3326 1 year ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Agree with the other caller who said it feels like a Slot Machine from Japan.

Haha! I had this exact same thought with the cards popping up!

#3327 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Nobody said it won’t be awesome, just that it would be better with more assets...especially with the continually rising price tag from release to release. At $9k I need to have my dick knocked into the dirt with ALL aspects of the game to consider purchasing. DI lost me with the ho-hum theme and art. It’s still an awesome game, but didn’t knock my duck into the dirt.

#3328 1 year ago

Ducks prefer water!

#3330 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Nobody said it won’t be awesome, just that it would be better with more assets...especially with the continually rising price tag from release to release. At $9k I need to have my dick knocked into the dirt with ALL aspects of the game to consider purchasing. DI lost me with the ho-hum theme and art. It’s still an awesome game, but didn’t knock my duck into the dirt.

They will never appease everyone or every budget ever. That’s why you have choices. I personally like that they put every dollar of available budget into amazing software, creative toys, beautiful art, and a theme (not movie) that appeals to multi generations. Would I have paid 5k more because they got Johnny Dep to say next ball? Hell no. Do I care that I don’t get to watch the Same movie clip Every game like Hobbit. Nope. I have the DVD set if I want to bore my family with that. I bought this CE#17 to play Pinball!

#3331 1 year ago

I've enjoyed PLAYING the game..
The drain lane escape opening has been getting some use...

20180301_195939 (resized).jpg

#3332 1 year ago
Quoted from ltd73:

I've enjoyed PLAYING the game..
The drain lane escape opening has been getting some use...

Carefull. Actually playing your game is frowned upon around here.

I have laminate floors and these do a nice job protecting the floors while keeping the pins very slidable

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-1-2-in-Metal-Furniture-Cups-with-Carpet-Base-4-per-Pack-49092/203661012

#3333 1 year ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I have laminate floors and these do a nice job protecting the floors while keeping the pins very slidable
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-1-2-in-Metal-Furniture-Cups-with-Carpet-Base-4-per-Pack-49092/203661012

That picture is of the floor at Level 257...

#3334 1 year ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I have those on all my games, they fit and work perfectly.

#3335 1 year ago

Someone tell me this is just way way way better than the Hobbit (I want it to be, I have a deposit down, just praying its a 180 from Hobbit)

#3336 1 year ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Someone tell me this is just way way way better than the Hobbit (I want it to be, I have a deposit down, just praying its a 180 from Hobbit)

I own Hobbit and have to date played Many games on POTC. POTC is No Hobbit. I enjoy Hobbit but the constant repeat movie animations and Continuous multi ball is draining on the fun. Do Not judge game play time by the amazing JJP tutorial videos. These guys are masters of their creation. To get 1 million let alone a multi ball on this awesome beast takes time and some skills which I surely lack. Lol. Add to that, a small shout out to Joe at JJP. Don’t know how many hours he works per week but Every time I visit the game at 257 he is there taking notes and continuously fine tuning the game to software and hardware perfection. A truly nice guy that is without question a vital team player with Eric and Kieth. Just a beautiful game and an amazing playing experience.

#3337 1 year ago

I got a chance to play jjpirates a handful of times at the Louisville show this weekend. Very disappointed in the gameplay, clunkiness, and lack of clips on the screen. It was not my cup of tea, I'll just say that. I went to the pirates seminar by the programmer and my takeaway was Disney would not let them use movie clips with actors, or they would have. Hence we get flavorless modes and very few clips (I feel like clips are appreciated by other players while they wait their turn).

I suggest everyone tries this game if possible before buying.

#3338 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No BM66 has the best video integration and it’s not even close. Throw in call outs from Adam West and Burt Ward and it’s what everybody seems to want every time a pin is released
As for Potc. I don’t really care about the video. The movies sucked except the first one and anything that gets put up on the screen will be cool
And I’m getting a CE so I don’t have to look at Depp, besides the fact that the topper is awesome!

So on one hand you love BM66 because it has the best video integration of any pin and on the other you love Pirates because it has no chance of ever having the best video integration of any pin despite having a 27” tv in there?

#3339 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I'll just say that. I went to the pirates seminar by the programmer and my takeaway was Disney would not let them use movie clips with actors, or they would have.

One correction.

Disney could not, not would not. For some strange reason on the POTC movies. The actors and actresses own the rights to their audio and video, not Disney.

LTG : )

#3340 1 year ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

So on one hand you love BM66 because it has the best video integration of any pin and on the other you love Pirates because it has no chance of ever having the best video integration of any pin despite having a 27” tv in there?

Could be because obtaining the rights to a 50 year old out of date theme wasn’t much of a challenge. Or, and most would attest the game was vitually crap without the code and animation unlike POTC, or possibly because they sold them for 15k. For the record even at 15k they only had primary 1 actor for call outs. Not the 30 from that series which would have made that title 30k

#3341 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

One correction.
Disney could not, not would not. For some strange reason on the POTC movies. The actors and actresses own the rights to their audio and video, not Disney.

Coulda had Dr. Who license for free...BBC is like "someone take this...please?"

Lots of possibilities with that Sci-Fi license, too.

#3342 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

One correction.

If JJP knew that going in, why not opt for a different license?

Were they forced to take POTC in order to acquire the rights for another title?

Package deal?

#3343 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Were they forced to take POTC in order to acquire the rights for another title? Package deal?

Stuff like that.

#3344 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Stuff like that.

Gotcha, thanks.

#3345 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Were they forced to take POTC in order to acquire the rights for another title?

It happens. There was one game license we wanted that we got three titles later by taking a title we didn't want that much.

#3346 1 year ago

Imagine how much cash JJP would take in if they went with Tron?

Since they have already rehashed one Stern/Disney title, why not another?

#3347 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Imagine how much cash JJP would take in if they went with Tron? Since they have already rehashed one Stern/Disney title, why not another?

We weren't there. We don't know what was on the table, or know if there were other choices.

#3348 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

We weren't there. We don't know what was on the table, or know if there were other choices.

I definitely wasn't there, but I am guessing you have some insight.

Regardless, it's fun to speculate what could have been.

#3349 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Regardless, it's fun to speculate what could have been.

Yes it is !

#3350 1 year ago

They didn’t take POTC to secure other licenses. Jack is on record saying Pirates has always been a dream theme of his before and after the announcement of them doing this title.

I’m not saying they didn’t package other future Disney titles together with this but I firmly believe this was the main title they wanted.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clarita, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 76.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside