FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 76.
#3251 6 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

This.... and on top of that. mini playfields needs to be interesting and fun to play. Most of them are as boring as hell. Black hole still has the best miniplayfield..... step up please, .

The rocking ship is the most innovative mini pf maybe ever.

And the Woz mini's are as good as it gets too.

I say fantastic job on implementing the minis! Spice of life

#3252 6 years ago

I’m picky about mini playfields. Some like TS, WH20, and TZ I like, but most I don’t. I think the ones on WOZ are cool.

I think this has a chance to be the best mini playfield ever...it would be tough for it to beat TS in my mind, but it could, depending on how the code shakes out.

The rocking motion is really cool and challenging. There is a lot to shoot for up there and the rules so far are interesting. Loading the cannon and shooting the Dauntless is perfect theme integration and a lot of fun. The ship itself is a great looking sculpted toy. I love the lanterns on the front. It’s all REALLY well done in my opinion.

#3253 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I’m picky about mini playfields. Some like TS, WH20, and TZ I like, but most I don’t. I think the ones on WOZ are cool.
I think this has a chance to be the best mini playfield ever...it would be tough for it to beat TS in my mind, but it could, depending on how the code shakes out.
The rocking motion is really cool and challenging. There is a lot to shoot for up there and the rules so far are interesting. Loading the cannon and shooting the Dauntless is perfect theme integration and a lot of fun. The ship itself is a great looking sculpted toy. I love the lanterns on the front. It’s all REALLY well done in my opinion.

The lanterns are sweet and the way they flicker adds authenticity

#3254 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The lanterns are sweet and the way they flicker adds authenticity

Agreed. It’s one of the best uses of lights I’ve seen on a game.

#3255 6 years ago

I want to give a big Thank you to the engineering aspect of this game and how Eric made it so it is easy to take the rocking ship and spinning discs apart from the PF. Thanks for looking out for the home use folks as making these things easier to disassemble! Big thumbs up!

#3256 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Oh Baby! Here it is!
SDTM Episode 51: Pirates of the Caribbean Pinball Machine Review - Deluxe Edition Part 1
» YouTube video

Everyone should watch this who is thinking about this game. ZMeny I really enjoy your show.

You guys did a great job here with JJP breaking down this pin. Thank you for putting this together.

#3257 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Can't argue with your experience, but try to disable the ballsaver. I did that because that is also the setting on the Directors Cut on Dialed In and it makes the balltimes so much shorter. Especially in multiball where the default ballsaver seems to last forever as you can easily start a new multiball with a new ballsaver during multiball.

Does your game have the center post between the flippers? In my opinion, that should be removed. (Or take the rubber off it.)
--Ted

#3258 6 years ago

Does potc use different rgb gi lighting than the new rrwoz? Just wondering as woz isnt very bright? If its different can woz be fitted with the potc rgb gi?

#3259 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Does potc use different rgb gi lighting than the new rrwoz? Just wondering as woz isnt very bright? If its different can woz be fitted with the potc rgb gi?

I think they're all using the 2.0 light system. The inserts should be plenty bright, but the GI on WoZ has always been kind of dull because they're just using plastic tubes to transport the light from a single LED below the playfield. A lot gets lost in the move.

#3260 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think they're all using the 2.0 light system. The inserts should be plenty bright, but the GI on WoZ has always been kind of dull because they're just using plastic tubes to transport the light from a single LED below the playfield. A lot gets lost in the move.

Ok but potc looks much brighter? So something has be different bc my new rrwoz isnt very bright

#3261 6 years ago
#3262 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ok but potc looks much brighter? So something has be different bc my new rrwoz isnt very bright

Do you have the LEDs set to max brightness in the settings?

Even so, WoZ is a pretty dark game. I ended up installing a lighting kit that added spotlights to brighten up the playfield in a dark bar on location. It was just too dark in a dark room.

#3263 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Buy Pinstadium set problem solved!

#3264 6 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Buy Pinstadium set problem solved!

I dont want extra lighting lol... just wondering if anything at all was changed between new woz and potc and if so can i upgrade woz rgb gi

#3265 6 years ago

Probably the same but looks like potc uses 3 or 4 spotlights pointed in center of playfield unlike woz

#3266 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Probably the same but looks like potc uses 3 or 4 spotlights pointed in center of playfield unlike woz

That's what the kit that I ended up installing does. Adds a number of spotlights and some lighting in the back. Helps a LOT.

#3267 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

yes, and the spotlights are awesome. The fine details of this game are insane. I got to play it a bit friday night in a private setting and I could not get over all the little fine details on the playfield. I am still up in the air on buying the game, but it is by far the nicest and most innovative machine ever made.

#3268 6 years ago

I think the pin looks fantastic !!
What a great payfield disign !! great toys, lots of diverters etc...
And very good rules: 5 multiballs for each movie and 5 modes must be played for each movie.

but... this pin is based on 5 movies, almost 10 hours of movies and not 1 second of movies footage !!! not 1 second of Original music !!! not 1 second of Original voice from the movies !!
Just 1 pictur from each person,the potc logo and that's it.
when you start a multiball, you see a self-made animation with the potc-logo.
when you make a shot in a mode (chapter) or you complete that chapter you see no animation.
when I look at the jjp potc pinball gameplay, I see an pirates pinball, not a POTC pinball.

This is a shame...

#3269 6 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

And very good rules: 5 multiballs for each movie and 5 modes must be played for each movie.
but... this pin is based on 5 movies, almost 10 hours of movies and not 1 second of movies footage !!! not 1 second of Original music !!! not 1 second of Original voice from the movies !!
when you make a shot in a mode (chapter) or you complete that chapter you see no animation.
when I look at the jjp potc pinball gameplay, I see an pirates pinball, not a POTC pinball.
This is a shame...

This is my only complaint so far however I believe one of the recent videos showcasing the game there were some remarks made about more animations and video content being added before release. Maybe I heard wrong but i will remain optimistic!

#3270 6 years ago

This is a shame...

Hobbit showed that JJP can do amazing things with hours of movie footage. Too bad the license terms with Disney don't seem to give them the flexibility they had with TH.

#3271 6 years ago

almost 10 hours of movies and not 1 second of movies footage !!!

Pretty sure there's movie clips when you start a chapter, just not of actors' faces. Or are those clips not from the movies?

#3272 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Pretty sure there's movie clips when you start a chapter

I agree with you!

#3273 6 years ago

I wouldn't ever be motivated to comment on matters of taste. You like pirates or you don't. But gross matters of fact....

not 1 second of movies footage !!!

Every chapter (and there are 125 of them) has an introduction featuring video footage extracted from the five films. Five multiball intros, five wizard mode intros (and their successful completions) feature video footage from the five films. And there is more than that.

not 1 second of Original voice from the movies

Over 200 lines spoke by Gibbs in the five movies were re-recorded by Kevin McNalley (the original actor featured in all five films).

not 1 second of Original music

Technically, 65% of the pin's music is original music written specifically for playing a Pirates of the Caribbean pinball by myself. The remainder came from Disney Studios, original custom music written for an unpublished Pirates of the Caribbean video game. Most of the Disney music assets feature live orchestra (which pinball companies cannot afford in custom music). I am a huge fan of the Klaus Badelt score for the first film and I would have liked to adapted his themes for the JJP POTC pinball. JJP tried very hard to license them but it was impossible. What I have written is working so give it a chance.

22 Characters from the film have been artfully woven into the fabric of the game by the team. 22 characters are on the playfield, they are featured in the game modifiers, they are linked to all the shots.

If you pay attention JJP's Pirates of the Caribbean Pinball machine is very far from a generic Pirate pinball.

ddt

#3274 6 years ago

I just think that with the introduction of the LCD in newer games a lot of people are way too hung up on watching a movie while they are playing. That doesn't appeal to me at all. This game looks and sounds fantastic!

#3275 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

I wouldn't ever be motivated to comment on matters of taste. You like pirates or you don't. But gross matters of fact....

not 1 second of movies footage !!!

Every chapter (and there are 125 of them) has an introduction featuring video footage extracted from the five films. Five multiball intros, five wizard mode intros (and their successful completions) feature video footage from the five films. And there is more than that.

not 1 second of Original voice from the movies

Over 200 lines spoke by Gibbs in the five movies were re-recorded by Kevin McNalley (the original actor featured in all five films).

not 1 second of Original music

Technically, 65% of the pin's music is original music written specifically for playing a Pirates of the Caribbean pinball by myself. The remainder came from Disney Studios, original custom music written for an unpublished Pirates of the Caribbean video game. Most of the Disney music assets feature live orchestra (which pinball companies cannot afford in custom music). I am a huge fan of the Klaus Badelt score for the first film and I would have liked to adapted his themes for the JJP POTC pinball. JJP tried very hard to license them but it was impossible. What I have written is working so give it a chance.

22 Characters from the film have been artfully woven into the fabric of the game by the team. 22 characters are on the playfield, they are featured in the game modifiers, they are linked to all the shots.

If you pay attention JJP's Pirates of the Caribbean Pinball machine is very far from a generic Pirate pinball.

ddt

Snap!

#3276 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Every chapter (and there are 125 of them) has an introduction featuring video footage extracted from the five films. Five multiball intros, five wizard mode intros (and their successful completions) feature video footage from the five films.

no they are not. what do you see? some trees? some water? a ship?
have you seen a real scene from the movies? no! there is no footage from the movies in that pinball machine that is about those movis!

#3277 6 years ago

Man i just watched the second half of the SDTM stream with Keith yesterday and he was walking through all of the things David just mentioned.

It sounds unbelievable! I like Keith's rationale on code, he started deep games with TSPP because he didn't want to get tired of playing the pin himself. Very selfish Keith but thanks!

So if he creates Potc code to where he will never get tired of it can you imagine how deep it is for mere mortal normal players

Watching the streams AFTER watching the SDTM interview makes it 10x better because you have some idea as to what's going on.

#3278 6 years ago

no they are not. what do you see? some trees? some water? a ship?
have you seen a real scene from the movies? no! there is no footage from the movies in that pinball machine that is about those movis!

Hard to believe you own a TWD, GB, ST, etc... considering they don't have any video footage incorporated in the games as well.

#3279 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Hard to believe you own a TWD, GB, ST, etc... considering they don't have any video footage incorporated in the games as well.

That's a lot of hours of footage to not even show one second. Don't forget to add POTC to your list. It was DISGRACEFUL of Stern to ignore all of those opportunities and GOT.

#3280 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

That's a lot of hours of footage to not even show one second. Don't forget to add POTC to your list. It was DISGRACEFUL of Stern to ignore all of those opportunities and GOT.

GOT actually has tons of footage from the show...it just takes a color dmd to see it

#3281 6 years ago

From the streams I can say, I like the music of the game. But as I wrote before I don't understand the video clips used in the game so far. They remind me of a slot machine. The quality is perfect but they areused in the wrong way. The designer of the game said in one video the pin is about to play along the 5 movies. But animations on a pinball game and it doesn't matter if they are on a DMD or LCD are normaly used in two ways in my opinion. They could award the player when he archieved something, when he did something right for an example if he ends a mode or hits the right shots. Or they should be used to set the mood of a new chapter of the gameplay. There are so many games that people love not only because the gameplay or the layout is great it's cause they also are giving the player a great show. And that's what I am missing so far in JJP PotC.
Chapter animations in PotC are not an award for a completed mode, they are used to set the right mood and from what I have seen so far they fail in doing that. There is one mode that starts with a dress droped into the sea!!??? And than you have to shoot the shots with the people that are used in the movie in this chapter. I don't remember what part of the movie this is related to and I don't think anybody else will. If you archieve this goal you get a short message how many points you got, that's all. It's almost like Monty Phyton Humor. Sry I just don't get it. When I think about pirates or even the movies I want to battle, fight, run and laugh. What does the dress animation bring for the player? I just don't believe that any player in the world will think, hey look thats cool or thrilling. Where is Captain Jack? I still don't see the action sequences, the slapstick situations of the theme represented in the game animations. Sterns Star Wars and JJPs Hobbit have set a standard how animations can be used to get players involved into the theme. I don't see this yet here in PotC.
But to make this clear, all the rest of the game looks awesome and if they get the show that is still missing right I can see me buy one.
The layout looks like fun, the animations have a quality that is way above anything done before. The rule concept sounds awesome. You have a rocking ship with a cannon and so many more fun toys in this game. They just have to use this all and this will be one of the best games ever.

#3282 6 years ago

I keep hearing that they don't have the license for video assets showing actors faces. There are a great many action scenes where you don't even really see the actors face and most of the real action scenes that are very involved and dangerous use stunt doubles anyway.

I'm hoping they get some of the good pirate ship battles integrated into the video such as the maelstrom whirlpool battle from at World's End.

There is a ton of content to use without infringing on actors and I think it's a fine line between too much video and not enough. I don't need to feel like I'm watching the movie however some of the clips I've seen are pretty generic and couldn't even tell you what movie they were from and I'm a bit of a POTC nerd.

Otherwise the game looks awesome and can't wait to get mine!

#3283 6 years ago

The question is, is this all the theatrics that's going in the machine . Or was this done to complete codeing quicker for release as it's very deep and video footages will be added later. Can this be answered by anyone

#3284 6 years ago

I don’t know why so many people are hung up on video footage. Is it because of Hobbit? Cause that’s a totally different game in itself, support JJP and buy that if you want video footage in your collection. Me personally, video footage on the display is one of my least cares about assets. The display should thrive on scoring, progression and rules IMO.

If movie clips and stop n go Pinball really is your thing then I can respect that. But don’t get too tunnel vision on it. $8500 doesn’t buy you stop n go movie footage; it gets you a world of Pinball magic that Eric, Keefer, Joe, JP, and David bring to life.

#3285 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I don’t know why so many people are hung up on video footage. Is it because of Hobbit? Cause that’s a totally different game in itself, support JJP and buy that if you want video footage in your collection. Me personally, video footage on the display is one of my least cares about assets. The display should thrive on scoring, progression and rules IMO.
If movie clips and stop n go Pinball really is your thing then I can respect that. But don’t get too tunnel vision on it. $8500 doesn’t buy you stop n go movie footage; it gets you a world of Pinball magic that Eric, Keefer, Joe, JP, and David bring to life.

I have a Hobbit and really love it, but agree with you. The movie clips and such are great/fantastic for bystanders, but during the game I rarely look up. The book LCD gets most of my attention for instruction when I do look up. I'm guessing that the same would be true for JJPOTC in that our secondary focus will be on the apron screen instead of the large backbox screen ... unless there is a stop and go action that warrants looking up to see what the heck they want me to do next.

#3286 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Agreed. Well said. This game is awesome and is only going to get better.

#3287 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I don’t think everyone is wanting movies playing but how about some more relevant clips to the 5 movies in the franchise, they should have meaning and be recognizable at a minimum.

Again, Don’t need movie footage but relevant clips. If your not going to maximize one of the biggest features of the machine how about offering it with a dmd please.

#3289 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

PotC livestream

Nitpicking, but the complete lack of animation when the gold coins time out uncollected isn't great. They should scale away or fall off the screen or SOMETHING instead of just disappearing. Also it's hard to hear, but it sounds like there's no effect when they go away. Seems like a negative sound so you know you've lost gold would be helpful if you're not watching the screen.

Still, looks great and the polish is really starting to show overall...

#3290 6 years ago

Movie clips are nice for special events like starting or finishing a MB. Otherwise I agree with @eskaybee. The thing that JJP does great is give you a place to glance at the screen and instantly see how you are doing with mode and game progression. This is invaluable. I’ve been ruined by it to the extent that I get frustrated playing Stern DMD games now. I haven’t played enough Stern LCD games to know how they are doing in that department on those.

#3291 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think its because the game costs nearly $10k and doesn't have actor audio and actor video assets, both of which help immerse the player in the theme and bring the world under glass to life. If Ghostbusters didn't have the actors audio I wouldn't have bought the game. Why? Peter Venkman, Ray Stanz, etc make Ghostbusters and without them what is it? Same goes for buying The Hobbit and Star Wars if Smaug / Gandalf and Luke / Vader were not in those games. I feel similar about POTC and wonder what is a POTC pin without Captain Jack Sparrow?

With that being said I think POTC by JJP is one of the coolest looking pins with an incredible design and amazing toy offering. The audio work by David Thiel, code work by Keith Johnson and animation work by JP are all incredible. The design that Eric has created for this game is amazing and its very impressive to see just how well the wide body format was taken advantage of for the game. Still, some people are going to be bummed about a lack of actor audio and actor video in this game as when they play a licensed themed game they want to see and hear the actors involved. I don't think this is a big issue for on location play but does become a more important point for home buyers.

I can see buying a POTC for the other reasons I mentioned. Typically I would write off buying a licensed theme game without actor audio and actor video for my personal collection but this game has so much else going for it that it may not matter in the end for me. POTC looks like the ultimate as far as feature packed pins go with a very deep and unique objective based ruleset.

#3292 6 years ago

two things pinch my nerves atm

is that me or the triple disks are very loud during a game ? watching lives and stdm videos, i cant help myself to hear them louder than the music or anything else during the game, and if you need to become deaf pump up the master volume to no hear them, well no that fancy

the second one is the inlane sound, to loud, loo long, covering anything else beside the running circles : /

well that wont stop me to play it or purchase one, but those two things are quit a little downside on my motivation

#3293 6 years ago
Quoted from Raknitz:

two things pinch my nerves atm
is that me or the triple disks are very loud during a game ? watching lives and stdm videos, i cant help myself to hear them louder than the music or anything else during the game, and if you need to become deaf pump up the master volume to no hear them, well no that fancy
the second one is the inlane sound, to loud, loo long, covering anything else beside the running circles : /
well that wont stop me to play it or purchase one, but those two things are quit a little downside on my motivation

Someone in another thread claims it's noisy because it's a production machine... maybe. I don't think you can dampen the sound from the Pf side so only way would be to enclose the motor underneath somehow and I thought it already was.

Since we are discussing things we don't like, anyone notice a repetitive sound that is kind of like a partial sound. I haven't figured out what triggers it but wow is it used a lot and kind of annoying.

#3294 6 years ago

I have to be honest. I really don't get the constant need to have "movie" footage in this game. It is a POTC "Themed" game. You are not playing the movie but a pinball machine that takes items, events, imagery, character profiles to build a game upon. The animations that already exist are probably the most attractive I have seen in any game. They server the game and immersion into the theme and game you are playing. The problem with most Stern games using full motion video is that they are so literal and repetitive that they are not really special.

As for the sound of the discs. The game volume is turned down pretty much on any video I've seen. I have yet to hear this game at a normal volume so that could be it.

It would be a blast to see this game have its launch party at Disney World.

#3295 6 years ago

Playing movie clips is lazy. I'll take the creativity of dots every day.

#3296 6 years ago

I am conflicted on the movie clips. I thought it was very well done on the Hobbit and the first few times I saw it I was thoroughly impressed. The 20th time I saw the Smaug clip it became less impressive.

I have watched a couple of hours of footage on the new POTC and thought the graphics were well done and the pace was good. The chapter and multiball starts have a small pause to prepare for the action but not sure I need 3-5 seconds of movie action. I feel like it could be overdone. Star Wars might be a good example here, I am not very impressed by how the footage was used and I am a huge Star Wars fan.

Honestly could go either way, love the map though.

#3297 6 years ago

Not sure how everyone else feels but I'm glad Johnny Depp's huge mug isn't plastered on that screen talking to me while I play. Just imagine how much everyone would be complaining about that. Careful what you wish for people.

#3298 6 years ago

this pin is based on 5 movies, almost 10 hours of movies and not 1 second of movies footage

Good. You whiners should save some money and buy a bluray boxed set. You can watch all the movie footage you want. Save yourself 9 grand, and spare everyone else the litany of complaints.

This is a pinball, not a movie player, get over it.

#3299 6 years ago

Touche' Aurich

#3300 6 years ago

I think there is plenty of the movie in there, but really the mechs on this game are Awesome, new, and inventive! That was enough for me. And like i have said before this will be my first and only NIB. I almost bought Star Trek that way but passed. Glad I did, this will most likely be the most played game in my house, at least until I am done with F-14 restore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4/page/66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.