FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 76.
#3101 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I definitely will need to play before I buy; but I’m a huge fan of WOZ. I owned it for a few months on finished code - it’s definitely a contender for my personal top 5 of all pins. I get surprised when I hear people don’t like it who have a lot of plays on it and the typical answer I get when I ask them why is that they had owned it on the early stages. So they never got to really see what this pin can do unfortunately.

not necessary.
it is just about personal taste. i prefer shorter ball time (tougher technically, brutal but come into the gameplay heart quicker). Woz is really stunning pin with awesome lightshow but much longer to get into it.
i don't know why but if you like Woz i'm sure you would like POTC2 too

#3102 6 years ago

Maybe they could at least get this song?

#3103 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Is this true??? No voices from the movies allowed? That's a REAL problem on a $9500 game IMO...especially one with tons of "chapters"/modes. How the eff are they going to sound unique and how will the video clips work without sound??? Can't be true, right?

It is not just this, there is also no music from the original score of the films. I want to buy this game so badly, but I just can't do it. Maybe for a $7.5K game, but for a $9.5K game, there is just no way I could justify it. To be honest, I don't know how you have a pin based on all 5 films, but no callouts from anyone other than Mr. Gibbs, no video clips other than short bursts that do not show actor's faces, and no music from the original score.

Seems extremely odd to me. Either Disney truly is as difficult as people say in getting appropriate licensure, or JJP is looking to that as an excuse to cut corners where they shouldn't be cut.

(My money is on it being a little bit of both...)

#3104 6 years ago
Quoted from SwimLaw:

JJP is looking to that as an excuse to cut corners where they shouldn't be cut.

This has already been discussed to death. And no, JJP isn't looking to cut corners. And Disney isn't the main issue either, at least when it comes to the actors and actresses.

LTG : )

#3105 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

This has already been discussed to death. And no, JJP isn't looking to cut corners. And Disney isn't the main issue either, at least when it comes to the actors and actresses.

Disney is the issue. They GAVE away their video and sound rights with their contracts to the individual actors and actresses across the board! Why would they do that?? Seems really dumb.

#3106 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Disney is the issue. They GAVE away their video and sound rights with their contracts to the individual actors and actresses across the board! Why would they do that?? Seems really dumb.

Way back at the beginning, Disney had no idea a movie based on one of their attractions as a promotional tool would become so HUGE. At the beginning they were trying to just attract enough talent to have a shot at an okay movie. So more concessions were likely made than should have been.

#3107 6 years ago

Just went to Automated Services event and I really want to thank Mike Daddona and Jack Guarnieri for hosting this event. Thanks for the food, freebies, and a great time! Pirates of the Caribbean. This game plays like no other game because it's created by a new designer. I don't know how to describe it. Rule wise I would put it on par or beyond the complexity of WOZ as it currently stands. It has some very steep ramps and if you don't make it all the way, it chucks the ball nearly STDM just like Iron Man. The tilting ship as the upper pf is probably the best upper pf ever made. Best would be is like POTC>Twilight Zone>Family Guy. I got to shoot the cannon once but when it was loaded the ship stopped and was pointing down. The code is not anywhere near done for that as it seemed like it listed a lot to the left. It rocked way more the better I did however. The left outlane has a vertical drain and you are screwed if it drops there. The right though has an area that you can nudge the game to the right and bounce it back into the shooter lane. It doesn't feel like a widebody really because they packed everything including the kitchen sink into it. There is so much going on. I'm not sure exactly if there will be a strategy in the game. Sound effects really immerse you in the game heavily thanks to David D Thiel. The voice callouts are very well done. All the captains have an actual purpose and are useful. All in all it's the closest thing I have seen to a modern day Twilight Zone only it's way better than even that game. My largest complaint really is that the game is very dark and it's LE or don't buy it. Also it must be a nightmare to clean it or replace stuff (not sure about that though but everything connects to something else because it's all packed in). There is heavy amounts of glare on POTC and large portions of the pf are dark. You get Invisiglass among other perks that is worth the extra money for an LE however. It's perfect for Pin Stadium Lighting as it stands. It's a weird trend recently in pinball lately for the games to be really dark.

IMG_20171202_134755337 (resized).jpgIMG_20171202_134755337 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171202_134813613 (resized).jpgIMG_20171202_134813613 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171202_152908079 (resized).jpgIMG_20171202_152908079 (resized).jpg

#3108 6 years ago

Thanks for the review! I am excited to see this pin in person.

#3109 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Way back at the beginning, Disney had no idea a movie based on one of their attractions as a promotional tool would become so HUGE. At the beginning they were trying to just attract enough talent to have a shot at an okay movie. So more concessions were likely made than should have been.

I buy that for movie 1. All actors on subsequent movies got the same deal? Weak.

#3110 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I buy that for movie 1. All actors on subsequent movies got the same deal? Weak.

I doubt it was all actors in all the movies, but key actors often have a "parity" clause, where they have to get at least as good a deal as the other key actors. That probably played a part as the series rolled on.

#3111 6 years ago

If this Flipper would have been themed after „Monkey Island“ it would be an instant buy for me.

#3112 6 years ago

Where to get the dialed in topper that is shown on the second picture ? I like that

#3113 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Where to get the dialed in topper that is shown on the second picture ?

Only available on the CE.

#3114 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Only available on the CE.

Ah ok, thanks

#3115 6 years ago

PinballSTAR's POTC Party - this Saturday 12/9 12-4pm at Pinball Gallery, Malvern, PA (outside Philly) - details here...

Want to attend ? Want to pre-order a POTC ? Email Joe Newhart / PinballSTAR Amusements at [email protected]...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstars-pirates-potc-launch-party-philly-area-sat-129#post-4093901

#3116 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

If this Flipper would have been themed after „Monkey Island“ it would be an instant buy for me.

Man that would be awesome.. love those games!

#3117 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Amen... second that. Rich, rich theme. Too many inside jokes to count. I was just playing Curse of Monkey Island recently. Love that series. #ThreepwoodFTW

#3118 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Why didn't anyone think of this ! This would make it probably the best pin ever (for me personally).

#3119 6 years ago

I'm wondering if jjp learned from DI to automatically install cliffys on the scoops on all games going forward? Hopefully they did and also hopefully the metal used is the appropriate thickness instead of the heavy dury DI ones.

#3120 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm wondering if jjp learned from DI to automatically install cliffys on the scoops on all games going forward? Hopefully they did and also hopefully the metal used is the appropriate thickness instead of the heavy dury DI ones.

So Neither JJP before this had a scoop eh? The interesting question going forward is the clear going to be brittle or is it just the design of this game? Other games have a saucer and wondering if those will break down easily or not?

#3121 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So Neither JJP before this had a scoop eh? The interesting question going forward is the clear going to be brittle or is it just the design of this game? Other games have a saucer and wondering if those will break down easily or not?

Saucers, scoops, any kind of up kick is all the same concern to me. I have seen slight wear on my woz wizard kick out, so I ordered a cliffy to prevent further damage. It would be nice to have any type just come with a protector already installed like they finally did with DI. Neither my Hobbit or woz had any, so unless newer production ones do, I think it should come standard on all games.

#3122 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

It would be nice to have any type just come with a protector already installed like they finally did with DI.

Yeah like Stern changed to...I guess since between each game they all jack up the price might as well get something for it.

#3123 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So Neither JJP before this had a scoop eh?

I don't recall the same chipping play field problems at scoops,kick outs, sausers, or up kicks that DI had. Yeah, early woz had issues in pops, but that's a different issue. DI was a big problem for whatever reason, and I was simply suggesting to eliminate the same problems on future titles by including standard cliffys. If I were one of the DI owners with a jacked up scoop area, I'd be pretty bummed about my $9000 machine. Seems like an easy common sense solution to improve a high end, no compromise pinball machine I'm.

#3124 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

If I were one of the DI owners with a jacked up scoop area, I'd be pretty bummed about my $9000 machine.

I am bummed, and for the record it cost 8K.

#3125 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Absolutely. I really hope they're listening to the negative feedback on their inferior protector designs. Such an easy win for them to just team up with Cliffy and promote their machines as the best-protected out of the box.

#3126 6 years ago

Agree about the scoop protectors needing to be installed at the factory. These things are always a pain the ass to install. It's great that Stern is now including them across all models. I hope JJP does as well and goes even further by including a shooter lane protector.

#3127 6 years ago

We have a few collectors models left if anyone is interested. Factory is sold out.

#3128 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree about the scoop protectors needing to be installed at the factory. These things are always a pain the ass to install. It's great that Stern is now including them across all models. I hope JJP does as well and goes even further by including a shooter lane protector.

Better still: if they're factory-installed, there's no reason they couldn't make the playfields with a slight hollow to make the protectors lie flat to the surface.

#3129 6 years ago

Who have spent some hours of game on it?
It is said you never play the same game as there are billion of combinations.
Ok there are over 20 characters to pick but there is only one layout playfield.
It is like ST which gameplay has been extended with an iteration of same shots, mods feel the same in my opinion.
If each potc game feels very different to each other, it could be the best game to come (otherwise it would feel repetitive)

#3130 6 years ago

I dont want this pseudo Cliffys on my pinball machines .... in the old days there were enough machines with holes and VUK and no protector.
My WhiWi is some years older, restored playfield, no chipping on any hole ... why is it now kind of an art to make playfields and coatig which just hold ?
It is great that JJP ships protectors but most people buy original Cliffys due the JJP protectors are to strong material and will bounce balls away.
So positive ... they send out protectors, the negative ... you need protectors ....

Just my 5 cent

#3131 6 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

My WhiWi is some years older, restored playfield, no chipping on any hole ... why is it now kind of an art to make playfields and coatig which just hold ?

Most people who do clear I've seen say it's because the clear now is not as good because it's more environmentally friendly with less chemicals, etc. But that doesn't really explain it all because people that renovate playfields are putting down clear that doesn't have the almost immediate chipping problems being seen on many Stern and some JJP playfields, either. Whatever the issue is, I wish it would be resolved, too!

#3132 6 years ago

Anyone with inside info on when these are shipping? I saw some cabinets put together in a recent jjp fb video.

#3133 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Anyone with inside info on when these are shipping? I saw some cabinets put together in a recent jjp fb video.

They are location test pins.... id guess customers pins will start shipping end of 1st quarter .....

#3134 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

They are location test pins.... id guess customers pins will start shipping end of 1st quarter .....

So around TPF?

1 week later
#3135 6 years ago

Has the test machines had a software update as of yet or have any new features been mentioned since the launch

#3136 6 years ago

I have my deposit in on a LE. I hope the code is great when it comes out. This stands to be a great game! Plenty of things going on, on the PF and still pretty open in the lower part of PF. Could have used a under PF area, something like in the last movie or even a Davie joneses locker.

#3137 6 years ago

I saw a video of the spinning disc in jacks hand will uou be able to adjust its height be able to fit a playfield protector on and be level with the protector

#3138 6 years ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

I saw a video of the spinning disc in jacks hand will uou be able to adjust its height be able to fit a playfield protector on and be level with the protector

Amen!

I have posted regarding this exact concern. The disc assembly rocks as the ball(s) go over and I have serious concern regarding the PF edge of that large hole. If this is adjustable that is perfect, next question is who will make a protector and what will it look like? I think that it might need the edge and top how easy is that to make? The art that outlines the hole might lend itself well for a border or guide for this.

#3139 6 years ago
Quoted from VidiotGT:

The music will not be from the movies but is "inspired by" and adjusted to work better for a pinball game. There is a touch of licensed music, but not from the pirates movies. There will be plenty of movie clips on the screen, they will just never show an actors face.

Spin it any way you want, a Pirates of the Caribbean themed pinball (or anything for that matter) without the original Pirates music from the ride (it was used on the actual ride years before the stupid movies were made) isn't complete.

That is like makibg an Indians Jones themed pin without the IJ theme music. Does anyone actually believe that doesn't matter or that the Williams IJ pin classic has the same feel without that music?

#3140 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Sorry, but as a distributor I can tell you that this statement applies to you and maybe a small group, but not a lot.

As a consumer, I can tell you that without the original POTC theme music, there is no way in hell I'm forking out 10k for this.

You may get a lot of early orders for now but if they screw up something as basic as that, there are a lot of us that haven't yet and will not buy it in the future. Read through this thread if you don't believe that. There are more than 1 or 2 of us tbat have already expressef this sentiment.

#3141 6 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Spin it any way you want, a Pirates of the Caribbean themed pinball (or anything for that matter) without the original Pirates music from the ride (it was used on the actual ride years before the stupid movies were made) isn't complete.
That is like makibg an Indians Jones themed pin without the IJ theme music. Does anyone actually believe that doesn't matter or that the Williams IJ pin classic has the same feel without that music?

Doesn’t matter to me? I don’t want to watch a movie or pretend I’m on a theme park ride I want to play a well designed Creatively coded pinball machine. Your opinion and voice was heard and you are free to Not Buy it but Many others will. Luckily not every pin has to impress Everyone or demand would be through the roof!

#3142 6 years ago

Number 007 for Christmas! I'm all about pirates and the theme music from the movies means dick to me! The man behind this pirates music never disappoints! In fact the movies don't mean much and I could care less I hear one word spoken from Johnny Depp! If the games play and unique layout coupled with very cool call outs and music isn't enough then pinball isn't your thing. I suggest collecting old laser discs of old movies

1514223784-42 (resized).jpeg1514223784-42 (resized).jpeg

#3143 6 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

What about Sterns Walking Dead?

#3144 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Number 007 for Christmas! I'm all about pirates and the theme music from the movies means dick to me! The man behind this pirates music never disappoints! In fact the movies don't mean much and I could care less I hear one word spoken from Johnny Depp! If the games play and unique layout coupled with very cool call outs and music isn't enough then pinball isn't your thing. I suggest collecting old laser discs of old movies

I'm not referring to the movie music or even clips (the less Johnny Douche, the better). I'm talking about the original Pirates theme from the ride (Pirates Life For Me).

#3145 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

What about Sterns Walking Dead?

What about it? Don't watch the show and have no interest in the pin either.

#3146 6 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

What about it? Don't watch the show and have no interest in the pin either.

Well I doubt anyone into Pinball will be listening to anything you say. It's a great game with very cool code. On my radar for sure. Especially if they do the comic book version as a vault edition. Pirates life for me is good but seriously originality is so much better and if you like the rehash then stick to your world of repetitive theme. I for one and I believe there are a ton more who look forward to absolute originality.

#3147 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Well I doubt anyone into Pinball will be listening to anything you say. It's a great game with very cool code. On my radar for sure. Especially if they do the comic book version as a vault edition. Pirates life for me is good but seriously originality is so much better and if you like the rehash then stick to your world of repetitive theme. I for one and I believe there are a ton more who look forward to absolute originality.

I'm into pinball and I'm listening. It's based on a very old Disney theme that inspired the movies. I feel the elements that he has mentioned, should be included. I mean, they were all worked into the movies. The pin is based on the movies, it's not original. Thus, the pin should reflect that. In the end, maybe JJP will include these elements. The code isn't done yet. Right?

#3148 6 years ago

I’m listening too. I agree with the comments.

#3149 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Count me in, it already has the spinning disk

mix_n_mojo.jpgmix_n_mojo.jpg

#3150 6 years ago

without the cast of actors voices and without video showing faces this would be a great disappointment to me..... why wouldn't that have been secured before making the game? that would definitely be a big plus feature in my opinion and also a big minus feature if it's missing. Could have been a great game with original cast voices music soundtracks and video showing faces

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
Protection
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4/page/63?hl=georgeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.