FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 76.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's what I'm doing from now on! I've got my Ghostbusters Blu-Ray....my Lebowski Blu-Ray...don't need the pins for them. For the cost of a pinball machine, you can buy a whole bad-ass projector home theater setup and still have money left over.

Are you going to sell your MET for an album and MM for a Lego castle? I rather have a real Shadow pin then the movie, lol.

Pinball is expensive but there are other hobbies that are even more expensive. Boating can be insanely expensive between the cost of a boat, storage, maintenance, etc. Same goes for sports cars, higher end cars or classic cars. I cant tell ya how many people buy $40-$50k new cars and then have $500-$700 a month car payments, and then pay $120+ per month for car insurance.

Part of pinballs comeback is that it's a game that exist in the real world in a world where nearly all games are digital. Humans will always have the desire to do and control things in the real world over simulations. Its the reason why manned space exploration will continue over only robotic missions, why people will continue to buy classic cars over playing them in a video game, and why nearly everyone will continue to take vacations vs putting a VR headset on for a simulated beach view.

#252 6 years ago

Ummm... video games? Worse yet console games? No thanks. I have some fond memories of playing NES, Super Nintendo and N64 growing up but about halfway through high school lost interest.

Mame got me into arcade games which got me into coin op but personally I found them to be boring after a very short time which led me to Pinball and I've never looked back.

Bring on JJP #4, I'm excited for it!

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Are you going to sell your MET for an album and MM for a Lego castle? I rather have a real Shadow pin then the movie, lol.

I already have them, plus they are bonafide amazing games. I was talking moving forward as a hobbyist, dream themes aren't a motivating factor for me anymore. As prices get bonkers (Met LE was $6800, new LEs are $8k-$9k....Shadow cost me $1800), designs/code get worse (GB) and years of waiting and drama are part of the equation (TBL) - themes can't sway me anymore because it's become crystal clear that the the experience doesn't match the entry fee anymore. And the perspective offered when comparing it to the video game scene makes it even more clear how nuts this all is.

Now - if you don't like video games then perhaps this is all meaningless. But I do, so I'm going to inevitably make the comparison. $8k for headaches and drama or $60 for pure fun and ease of use.

#254 6 years ago

I think the difference is what some consider "headaches" I consider to be most the fun of it. Video games don't let you physically dive in and get your hands dirty. I work in front of a screen all day long as a software engineer... when I get home I have to mentally unplug from screens and stimulate my mind in physically interactive ways. Working on Pinball (and playing) is an amazing outlet.

#255 6 years ago

This sure did get off-topic for many posts.

#256 6 years ago

It is possible to appreciate pinball and videogames at the same time, right?

#257 6 years ago

Every hobby is what you make of it. Ironically I'm getting out of video games and into pinball. I've collected video games for 20 years. It started out of nostalgia and escalated from there. I ended up going after corporate employee items even. It was fun in the beginning! I met so many awesome people. But over time there were not so awesome people i dealt with too. I got burned out. I let it get away from me and I didn't enjoy it anymore. Fortunately I have been able to sell off from that hobby to pay for this one. I'm more guarded with how much I'm getting into pinball however. I learned my lesson from before. Once it's not fun I'm backing off.

I'm excited to see what game 4 will be! I've had the pleasure of talking to Eric a few times now. He seems very competent, I'm sure he will make a great game!!

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

It is possible to appreciate pinball and videogames at the same time, right?

Of course, I'm not gonna purge my pinball collection I'll still play my games and enjoy them. It's just going to take a lot to impress me to ever buy a NIB game again. A lot will have to change in that world for me to dive back in. I think people forget you can like pinball without buying new.

#259 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So true.
Was only thinking the same - color dmd same as a brand new console with endless hours of entertainment.
I am thinking of getting an Xbox X in the fall but put off by the high price..... and yet will spend $1000's on a single pinball.
It is crazy but like others I justify it by saying I won't lose much money. Pinball is kind of like the game, pass the parcel.... as long as everyone keeps this insane mentality, the show must go on!
When pinball games start depreciating in a normal way, then boom.
I feel like I am pretty close to stopping myself and that is a reason I am starting to get into gaming again.

That's it! I'm getting the Xbox X and maybe the Switch for less than $800 total.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah man! That's the move....send me your Friend Code when you get a Switch!

I will if I get one.

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I already have them, plus they are bonafide amazing games. I was talking moving forward as a hobbyist, dream themes aren't a motivating factor for me anymore. As prices get bonkers (Met LE was $6800, new LEs are $8k-$9k....Shadow cost me $1800), designs/code get worse (GB) and years of waiting and drama are part of the equation (TBL) - themes can't sway me anymore because it's become crystal clear that the the experience doesn't match the entry fee anymore. And the perspective offered when comparing it to the video game scene makes it even more clear how nuts this all is.
Now - if you don't like video games then perhaps this is all meaningless. But I do, so I'm going to inevitably make the comparison. $8k for headaches and drama or $60 for pure fun and ease of use.

I've had video games in my life since the 70's with our "fancy" Atari 5200. Saved up my own money and bought every Nintendo system (so I didn't have to share it with my little brothers lol). I've owned every PlayStation system and still have them all except for my NES which I gave to my little brother when he got old enough to play. I just can't/don't find the time to play anymore. I have 5 unopened (very good) PS4 games that I just can't find the motivation to play. I liked the idea of them and even bought them right after release, I just never end up with the motivation to play them.

Anyone else in a similar place with video games or am I all alone?

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Ummm... video games? Worse yet console games? No thanks. I have some fond memories of playing NES, Super Nintendo and N64 growing up but about halfway through high school lost interest.
Mame got me into arcade games which got me into coin op but personally I found them to be boring after a very short time which led me to Pinball and I've never looked back.
Bring on JJP #4, I'm excited for it!

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I've had video games in my life since the 70's with our "fancy" Atari 5200. Saved up my own money and bought every Nintendo system (so I didn't have to share it with my little brothers lol). I've owned every PlayStation system and still have them all except for my NES which I gave to my little brother when he got old enough to play. I just can't/don't find the time to play anymore. I have 5 unopened (very good) PS4 games that I just can't find the motivation to play. I liked the idea of them and even bought them right after release, I just never end up with the motivation to play them.

I could have written either of these posts (except it'd be 80's and NES to start). I bought a new PS4 with the VR and a bunch of games for almost $1000 but have hardly played them.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Exactly the same. I've got a family and kids and just no time to sink hours in a game. Will try to play skyrim on nintendo switch though.

Thats why I came to pinball. Instant on and no updates (i thought so at least).

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Atari 2600 was 1977 to 1982, Atari 5200 was 1982.
You means 1982?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_5200

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Yup. I've always been a huge gamer. Owned every system since the Atari 2600. A couple of years ago I built a monster gaming PC. It was great for a while, and then I bought a place with a finished basement and had the bright idea to get a pinball machine... things escalated quickly as they do haha.

Between work and life I have maybe an hour a day if I'm lucky. Pinball has pretty much taken over, and I'm cool with that. I do wish I had more time to check out all the great games that came out the past year...

However-

The Switch has been a Godsend. I've had it since release day, and have not even hooked it up to a television yet. I work in NYC so I have plenty of time to play on the train, or in between long renders at work (I do post production for advertising stuff) Highly recommend getting one if you find yourself with a lack of time for video games and want to get back on the horse!

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I have 5 unopened (very good) PS4 games that I just can't find the motivation to play. I liked the idea of them and even bought them right after release, I just never end up with the motivation to play them.

That's how I was with the Playstation/Xbox type games. The attempts at being "movies" and super realistic just bores the tears out of me.I have a bunch of PS3 and X360 games I've barely touched...I didn't get a PS4 or Xbox One...but Nintendo always brings the fun - super weird, super colorful, super creative games I WANT to play. I played my Wii U quite a bit, and I'm playing the Switch non-stop. Just absolutely love it. If you loved NES/SNES games when you were a kid, consider the Switch...IMO it brings back the magic of video games with style and fun that gaming has mostly left behind.

#266 6 years ago

I keep wanting to get back into consoles to, but all new games are old rehashes mostly. I'm really thinking lately about collecting retro systems and playing those again. I wish I had more interest in playing, but pinball has taken that.

#267 6 years ago

Time is the issue for me. You just have to invest sooo much time in a lot of these games. I'm ADD ADHD so games with long ball times (and trust me, it's not like I'm a great player) are not a good choice for me. To move back on topic, this is the probably the #1 reason why DI scares me. Seems like it has long ball times. If I were in love with the theme, I might be able to get over it. Now, I know you can make a game play harder or easier but only within the parameters of the design. I would love to get a JJP game given the innovation and toys. But I need a good theme, std width and a fast playing game. I really hope JJP4 delivers on that.

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's how I was with the Playstation/Xbox type games. The attempts at being "movies" and super realistic just bores the tears out of me.I have a bunch of PS3 and X360 games I've barely touched...I didn't get a PS4 or Xbox One...but Nintendo always brings the fun - super weird, super colorful, super creative games I WANT to play. I played my Wii U quite a bit, and I'm playing the Switch non-stop. Just absolutely love it. If you loved NES/SNES games when you were a kid, consider the Switch...IMO it brings back the magic of video games with style and fun that gaming has mostly left behind.

I completely agree with the attempts at being interactive movies. I don't enjoy that at all. I have a big stack of Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4 games that are either still in the packaging or have been played one or two times. I will probably get a Switch when they come out with Smash Bros for it. I have loved every iteration of that game. Also, my kids (ages 4 to 11) tend to like Nintendo more than the more mature systems. I am somewhat hesitant as I am angry with Nintendo for how they handled the NES Classic. They assured everyone that they would make enough for everyone that wanted one and then never even came close.

#269 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I completely agree with the attempts at being interactive movies. I don't enjoy that at all. I have a big stack of Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4 games that are either still in the packaging or have been played one or two times. I will probably get a Switch when they come out with Smash Bros for it. I have loved every iteration of that game. Also, my kids (ages 4 to 11) tend to like Nintendo more than the more mature systems. I am somewhat hesitant as I am angry with Nintendo for how they handled the NES Classic. They assured everyone that they would make enough for everyone that wanted one and then never even came close.

Yeah, they totally underestimated how much people wanted that thing...but, the good news is this: Eventually the Switch will have some version of the Virtual Console...even perhaps a "Netflix" style legacy game library to play with the online subscription. Or, you can do what I did. Buy a RetroUSB AVS - an awesome HDMI NES system that plays old cartridges. Buy an Everdrive, load it up with every game ever, put it in your AVS...and it's infinitely better than the NES Classic could ever hope to be.

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

To move back on topic, this is the probably the #1 reason why DI scares me. Seems like it has long ball times.

Every game's diffuculty can be adjusted. Open or remove outlane posts, jack up the back legs, turn off Extra Balls, etc.

Iron Man can have 30 minute games if you close the outlanes and lower the legs.

#271 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, they totally underestimated how much people wanted that thing...but, the good news is this: Eventually the Switch will have some version of the Virtual Console...even perhaps a "Netflix" style legacy game library to play with the online subscription. Or, you can do what I did. Buy a RetroUSB AVS - an awesome HDMI NES system that plays old cartridges. Buy an Everdrive, load it up with every game ever, put it in your AVS...and it's infinitely better than the NES Classic could ever hope to be.

I have pretty much every retro gaming option one can have including original cartridges and systems, clones with megacarts, Retropie, Hyperspin system. I also have a modded NES Classic with over 700 games. It is better than all of the rest. There are a few things that other options have over it but overall it is the best way to experience classic NES.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

There are a few things that other options have over it but overall it is the best way to experience classic NES.

From what I've heard the NES Classic has some Audio Lag...not sure if the modded/hacked version fixes it...in any case, you can't find the little bastards anywhere - so anyone hankering for some NES action - I definitely recommend the AVS. It's not a clone or emu-box like the other NES alternatives.

#273 6 years ago

M.U.L.E. is the best video game ever!!! I don't think jjp #4 is going to be themed after it , but just imagine how awesome it would be if it was .

#274 6 years ago

Like others, I buy video games and there they sit. Not enough hours in the day. I have focused my video game hours on playing games with my kids -- MineCraft, BattleFront Star Wars, and Smash Bros are the main games we play together. I'll probably get a Nintendo Switch at some point once an update Smash Bros comes out. I'll probably get an XBox One X sometime to play Star Wars BattleFront 2 in 4K and play 4K BluRay (since the idiots at Sony forced me to still play BluRay on my PS3 since they never enabled the PS4 to play any BluRay despite being the original proponents of the format). Any new pins probably result in one of the current one's getting swapped out, although a few minutes of pinball is great fun and I have time for it.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I'll probably get an XBox One X sometime to play Star Wars BattleFront 2 in 4K and play 4K BluRay (since the idiots at Sony forced me to still play BluRay on my PS3 since they never enabled the PS4 to play any BluRay despite being the original proponents of the format).

PS4 plays Blu-Rays....just not the 4K ones.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#276 6 years ago

LOL, alright, let's move away from consoles and back to our rampant speculation.

IMG_4900 (resized).JPGIMG_4900 (resized).JPG

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

LOL, alright, let's move away from consoles and back to our rampant speculation.

That pic is for a Stern thread. Off topic lol

#278 6 years ago

Maybe JJP can lock in DC since Stern seems to be cozy with Marvel. If DC starts putting out more movies like WonderWoman I can see them catching up.

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Maybe JJP can lock in DC since Stern seems to be cozy with Marvel. If DC starts putting out more movies like WonderWoman I can see them catching up.

Yes....I would be keen if this idea was followed by JJP!

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Every game's diffuculty can be adjusted. Open or remove outlane posts, jack up the back legs, turn off Extra Balls, etc.

Which is why I said this in the post as well

Quoted from Oldgoat:

Now, I know you can make a game play harder or easier but only within the parameters of the design.

In my experience, the layout/design of games contribute significantly to ball times. Adjustments within the parameters of the game design (those you mention) can have significant impact to ball times; however, you are still limited to the design unless you modify the design (and for me, adding things like a center post is modification of the design...but that is just me). Some games just have wider or narrower ramp openings, some flipper gaps are wider or narrower, some games have much riskier 'key' shots. Your experience may be different. Regardless, this is a concern for me on DI. That having been said, I would love to have a chance to play it. It could well be that my limited skills would counterbalance any inherent design 'limitations'. Back on topic...as I said before, I would love to get a JJP game so I'm really hoping for theme and game play that hits the mark for me.

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Stern's in with DC, too (Batman). Although both of Jack's licenses have been WB, and they do all the DC movie stuff.

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Fast & Furious movie franchise. X-Men movie universe (including Logan and Deadpool). Resident Evil movie franchise (loads of high quality special effects footage for a true R rated horror/zombie based theme).

The Underworld franchise would also be an interesting selection and is in the same vein as Resident Evil in that there are many good movies scenes to draw high end action scenes from for the display.

I don't think JJP is going to jump from family friendly based themes to R rated themes though. Keep dreaming Tiger.

#283 6 years ago

Could have two software versions for a game one a pg ratting and the other an R rateing or even better you could switch the rateing in the settings menu .

#284 6 years ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

Could have two software versions for a game one a pg ratting and the other an R rateing or even better you could switch the rateing in the settings menu .

Yeah, but that makes weirdness like Ghostbusters where you turn the language down and lose the PG-rated "Yes, it's true. This man has no dick." quote from the beginning of the (Spook Central?) mode. Ratings are subjective for a lot of language.

#285 6 years ago

also with licensed games the license holder does have content control. HBO limited stern on some things with GOT

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

Yes, that works well for language issues but probably less so with the display.

JJP has stated they wanted family friendly themes, which is certainly fine to a point. But the more games they release that are family friendly the more pressure will be on them to release an R rated game targeting a different segment of the market and reaching out to different pinheads. Probably not a huge deal with one release every 18 months but as they move towards 3 releases every 24 months (as they seem to be doing currently) this will become a bigger deal.

#287 6 years ago

I don't know why they need to release an R-rated pin, there's a billion great themes and concepts that would be PG-13 at most.

#288 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I don't know why they need to release an R-rated pin, there's a billion great themes and concepts that would be PG-13 at most.

Woz was pg13? They kill some broad right at the beginning and play with her lifeless legs then some underage girl runs off into the woods with some randy old men? Turns out she took the date rape drug or something...

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Woz was pg13? They kill some broad right at the beginning and play with her lifeless legs then some underage girl runs off into the woods with some randy old men? Turns out she took the date rape drug or something...

I laughed a bit too much at this...

#290 6 years ago

oz_2701 (resized).jpgoz_2701 (resized).jpg

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Could always have a family friendly PG-13 theme with an R rated twist!?

IMG_3356 (resized).JPGIMG_3356 (resized).JPG

#292 6 years ago

Dialed in does not have my interest, but i really hope JJP continues with non-wide body pins. Cause i like it more. And look at how packed dialed in looks!

Awesome shots, with fun code and the right theme for me it will be a contender to be my number 1 ever.

#293 6 years ago

Goonies + JJP = $ + truffle shuffle

#294 6 years ago

BTTF would be a great theme for JJP

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

Goonies + JJP = $ + truffle shuffle

Give this man the prize. No question about it.

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Give this man the prize. No question about it.

What's good enough for you. Is good enough for me.

#297 6 years ago

Goonies. That would be a killer jjp game. Good call.

#298 6 years ago

I'd like to see a Guardians of The Galaxy pin. Cool music and great call-outs

#299 6 years ago

ET or Gremlins would be quite good too

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

I'd like to see a Guardians of The Galaxy pin. Cool music and great call-outs

You will. From Stern. Dunno about the music or callouts tho.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.