Topic Stats

• 3,753 posts
  • 528 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Zampinator
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 260 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181026_122121778 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_131620186 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_133524638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_101424526 (resized).jpg
IMG_0665 (resized).JPG
20180407_181132 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180413-205239 (resized).png
20180327_165820 (resized).jpg
20180412_183405 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 76.
#2751 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I’d like to hear the rides Yo-ho song during attract mode or after you finish a game.

I agree . . . I really hope JJP incorporates the theme song at least as an option for attract mode and/or after a game. For me, it would be somewhat incomplete without that connection to the original Disneyland ride (not just the movie franchise). It does not appear that there is anything out there capable of modifying JJP system sounds like Pinball Browser or PinSound.

#2752 2 years ago

It's amazing how many quotes Stern Star Trek got from the actor (whatshisname?). I keep hearing new ones all the time. Shows what a difference when the actor is into pinball. Now if we had a Barenaked Ladies game.....

#2753 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The sad thing is it's even dumber than people realize when you see it all from the inside, I learned that first hand. You can use this, but not that, and you can do it this way, but not that way, and you're told one thing from one person, but then you're dealing with approval with someone else and the rules have utterly changed on you.
Or you think "I have the movie rights, so I get all this stuff", but then the music is actually from a different sub company than the film, and was licensed to the movie, probably in some scheme to make profits look lower and avoid paying out percentages, and you need another $50k for this, and another person to approve that, and it's just a web of BS.
You can use this actor, but not this one, because the second actor is British, and has a totally different contract.
I suspect though that the things I learned with Alien are even crazier with modern films like POTC, because on the these old movies the contracts weren't written with all the modern digital media and licensing in mind. No way something like a huge budget Disney franchise isn't loaded with all kinds of detailed legal language for this that and the third. You can use this specific likeness, but not the person in motion, or whatever.
Personally I think NOT having a ton of film clips and re-used movie lines is great. I'm sure the JJP team chafed at restrictions, who wouldn't, but it means they got creative and did their own thing, instead of just playing back pre-canned stuff.
It's time these LCD games figure out their own footing, beyond being glorified DVD players. DI was a huge step in that direction, I imagine lessons learned there were a big help with POTC. JJP definitely has the edge on this stuff now in my mind.
I'll take 1200 custom callouts over a bunch of movie lines I've heard before any day. I'm not a POTC buyer, too expensive for me, but I feel like we should be defending custom work over recycled work wherever we can. Watch the movies if you want to hear the lines, let the game be original and new.

I understand your points but the issue here is that unlike Dialed In POTC is a licensed theme and people want to hear and see things actually used in the license. I love Ghostbusters but if it didn't have the actors voices in the game I wouldn't be a buyer. Same with Hobbit and others. Original audio and video assets from a licensed theme help immerse the player in that world.

Example: Lets say theres a battle Dave Jones mode. The mode would have more of an impact on the player if it contains some video and lines from the character. For licensed material that will usually be the case versus not using the assets.

With that being said I'm looking forward to seeing all the creative things that the JJP team comes up with for this game. I'm glad to hear that JJP got one of the film's actors to record a ton of custom lines including those that are pinball specific.

#2754 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Now if we had a Barenaked Ladies game.....

No one would buy it. Heyo!!!

#2755 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No one would buy it. Heyo!!!

But at least there'd be heaps of quotes.

#2756 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I understand your points but the issue here is that unlike Dialed In POTC is a licensed theme and people want to hear and see things actually used in the license. I love Ghostbusters but if it didn't have the actors voices in the game I wouldn't be a buyer. Same with Hobbit and others. Original audio and video assets from a licensed theme help immerse the player in that world.
Example: Lets say theres a battle Dave Jones mode. The mode would have more of an impact on the player if it contains some video and lines from the character. For licensed material that will usually be the case versus not using the assets.
With that being said I'm looking forward to seeing all the creative things that the JJP team comes up with for this game. I'm glad to hear that JJP got one of the film's actors to record a ton of custom lines including those that are pinball specific.

If I really loved the theme and the game play i wouldn’t care. It would be nice but not a deal breaker for me. My twdle. I didn’t even install the code with the tv callouts. I still have the stern guys voice. I have grown not to care about it. Because the code really brought the game to life. I just listen for what’s being said vs who is the person saying it.

#2757 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How many actor voices are in Stern Star Wars?

#2758 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

How many actor voices are in Stern Star Wars?

All of them.

#2759 2 years ago

Too bad Johnny Depp doesn't have a brother... LOL

No one has seemed to answer is there a pinball browser like program that works with JJP?

#2760 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you buy what's new and popular. Typical boring ass cookie cutter collection. No variety. No imagination or thought put into it. I've seen it a million times. New to the hobby. throws money around like it's nothing. buys the same shit. Buys all new stuff, because they don't want to learn to fix anything. Fly by night collector. Yawn...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I guarantee you havn't played or even seen, at least 30% if not 50% of the games I have. The only ones you have bothered to even take a look at, are the popular DMD titles. If it's not a JJP, DMD stern, or popular B/W title, you wouldn't give it a second look.

The reason I think you're being a dick here is because you are disparaging another pinheads collection. Wheather you are right or wrong about his collection being cookie cutter is meaningless because we all buy the games we enjoy. I don't understand why you have a problem with that.

#2761 2 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Too bad Johnny Depp doesn't have a brother... LOL
No one has seemed to answer is there a pinball browser like program that works with JJP?

nothing that i am aware of. the hard drives are locked down pretty tight i believe.

#2762 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The reason I think you're being a dick here is because you are disparaging another pinheads collection. Wheather you are right or wrong about his collection being cookie cutter is meaningless because we all buy the games we enjoy. I don't understand why you have a problem with that.

Not to stick up for Neo here, but... I guess to stick up for Neo here...

This started with Neo voicing distaste for both WOZ and Hobbit, which, while it was downvoted a lot and I don't personally agree with it, I have heard others say exactly what he did about them. The reply to that was this:

Quoted from PtownPin:

Good lord WOZ and TH are gems compared to most of the turds in your collection

His response was to point out that the other person probably hasn't played a lot of the games in his collection (which I can just about guarantee is true), and then swing back at the other person's collection being cookie cutter.

So, while he's not being tactful about it, he had a problem with it only after the other person decided to start with disparaging his collection. Neo didn't come on here picking a fight with that guy, that guy took offense to Neo saying things like it's refreshing to see text on inserts on JJP games and decided that the correct response was to make fun of Neo's turd collection.

#2763 2 years ago

Just goes to show clips from the movie don't always make a good game

#2764 2 years ago

In watching the pirates gameplay videos again it seems like the main weakness with the clips is that they’re 2-3 second blink and you’ll miss it sequences at the beginning of chapters.

Ideally they play clips each time you progress in a chapter, or at the very least when you finish it successfully.

Also hoping for voice impersonators to flush out the sound package.

#2765 2 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Not to stick up for Neo here, but... I guess to stick up for Neo here...
This started with Neo voicing distaste for both WOZ and Hobbit, which, while it was downvoted a lot and I don't personally agree with it, I have heard others say exactly what he did about them. The reply to that was this:

His response was to point out that the other person probably hasn't played a lot of the games in his collection (which I can just about guarantee is true), and then swing back at the other person's collection being cookie cutter.
So, while he's not being tactful about it, he had a problem with it only after the other person decided to start with disparaging his collection. Neo didn't come on here picking a fight with that guy, that guy took offense to Neo saying things like it's refreshing to see text on inserts on JJP games and decided that the correct response was to make fun of Neo's turd collection.

yup, that pretty much sums it up. Maybe I stated it only in wisconsineze, and that's why only you understood.

#2766 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

We'll agree to disagree. It's epic, and my other machines are getting lonely.

#2767 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But in this case it did. Star Wars is fun!

#2768 2 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Yup and that's why I'm out. I just listed my car on Kijiji for $13,200 the other day. ( and got a scammer with-in minutes) No way I'm paying more than that for a pinball.

I live in a small town where you can buy a small fixer upper home for $25,000 cdn. The ce is $17500 cdn.

#2769 2 years ago

Dam you JJ, your taking all my Money!! What a beautiful game in fit finish and play. Couldn't take my wallet out fast enough! And what a great team and passion. Poor Keith must have talked for 90 straight hours about all his Incredible code which is 99% further than my Stern titles at this point... Just a question not a poke, I would assume we will start seeing a landslide of used Stern POTC units hitting the chopping block soon? While not a bad game I couldn't see owning 2 pirates games. Bravo and definitely first in show! I do hope this success does not in time spoil them and their quality like the Other OEM.....

#2770 2 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I just dont understand this license crap. I see the worst and most cheap games using all sounds and shit a license has. And on a 10k pinballmachine i cannot have a song which i can buy for 2 euro +- everywhere.
For 100 euro i can buy all songs + all blue ray movies with extra content easely.
Why not on a pin?
The standard edition costs 8500, why cant it be 8600 with complete use of the license? I dont understand it from both ends. The license holders damaging their own goods by not selling the whole package. But JJP i also dont understand, why pay for an incomplete license? Pay more or go look for an other theme with better deals. The Hobbit showed us it is possible.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I am also really disappointed that the theme, video and dialogue from the movie won't be in the game. It seems like a huge missed opportunity. Hans Zimmer's theme is amazing and there would have to be so many funny and fitting call-outs that could be used.

#2771 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you buy what's new and popular. Typical boring ass cookie cutter collection. No variety. No imagination or thought put into it. I've seen it a million times. New to the hobby. throws money around like it's nothing. buys the same shit. Buys all new stuff, because they don't want to learn to fix anything. Fly by night collector. Yawn...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I guarantee you havn't played or even seen, at least 30% if not 50% of the games I have. The only ones you have bothered to even take a look at, are the popular DMD titles. If it's not a JJP, DMD stern, or popular B/W title, you wouldn't give it a second look.

If it's wrong to have a lot of money, buy the best games, and spend time enjoying playing pinball instead of having to repair them, I don't want to be right.

#2772 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I live in a small town where you can buy a small fixer upper home for $25,000 cdn. The ce is $17500 cdn.

Look on the bright side... at least JJPOTC won't be considered a fixer-upper, right?

#2773 2 years ago

Facts: Disney doesn’t own that stuff. Hobbit and woz are Warner properties they licensed nearly everything to JJP
Disney doesn’t own it they can’t license it they can’t it wouldn’t be 8600 you just don’t get it. Stern wrote their own movie dialogue read history learn what you are talking about please
JJP is licensing separately a couple of actors for custom speech for the game and some pirates music taken from Disney sources that Disney was able to use with permission. Plus there will be movie clips just not of actors doing pratfalls and things. There is lots of content but Disney doesn’t do actors contracts the way many others do. They don’t own Johnny Depps rights therefore they can’t license them

#2774 2 years ago

I don't personally understand all the details of licensing but know that if JJP didn't get those things, there is likely a good (financial) reason. I can still lament their absence, however.

#2775 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

If it's wrong to have a lot of money, buy the best games, and spend time enjoying playing pinball instead of having to repair them, I don't want to be right.

exactly....as we all know this industry essentially has no infrastructure to provide on site customer support so anyone who owns a machine will at least need to learn the basics about repair. Neo clearly likes "old school" games, which is completely fine. I myself find them incredibly boring, and when my kids play them they are bored even more. The newer games provide far more entertainment for the younger generation.

#2776 2 years ago

Doctor tramd/ you know I love you I don’t mean to get snippy with anyone that wasn’t the idea. I’m as passionate about JJP as any other fool so I get defensive with folks not meaning any harm. I wouldn’t want you to stop reaching out for tech help.

#2777 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

it's not about money, and anyone that owns a machine should start learning about the technical aspects of it if you plan to be a collector long term. Because eventually you will need to know. but if you would have read several pages back, you would understand the reason i'm commenting and referring to things a certain way.

#2778 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

TRAMD, I like your collection.

#2779 2 years ago

TRAMD does have a lot of diversity. Thou, I don't agree with some of his choices, I do respect and give kudos to his collection, because of his range of manufacturers and generations. Little bit of everything in there. Diversity is good.

#2780 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

exactly....as we all know this industry essentially has no infrastructure to provide on site customer support so anyone who owns a machine will at least need to learn the basics about repair. Neo clearly likes "old school" games, which is completely fine. I myself find them incredibly boring, and when my kids play them they are bored even more. The newer games provide far more entertainment for the younger generation.

Agreed.

Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Doctor tramd/ you know I love you I don’t mean to get snippy with anyone that wasn’t the idea. I’m as passionate about JJP as any other fool so I get defensive with folks not meaning any harm. I wouldn’t want you to stop reaching out for tech help.

I didn't know if you were addressing me or not. I didn't disagree with your post about the licensing.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's not about money, and anyone that owns a machine should start learning about the technical aspects of it if you plan to be a collector long term. Because eventually you will need to know. but if you would have read several pages back, you would understand the reason i'm commenting and referring to things a certain way.

I understand where you are coming from and have read all of the posts. Having different tastes is fine, otherwise everyone would be after my wife. There is an odd reaction to someone not liking what you like that seems to be a normal human thing. As WOZ is my favorite game (pending playing JJPOTC), it bothered me when you said it was a turd. Then the more rational part of me realizes that I should take no personal offense to you not liking a game I love; that's fine. I have fixed or replaced many minor to moderate things on many of my older games (and even a few of my NIB games). I have so far enjoyed doing the repairs I've done and found them rewarding but haven't dived into large restorations of games. I have a Spider-Man that needs that and I will probably just sell it.

Quoted from Skyemont:

TRAMD, I like your collection.

Me too!

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

TRAMD does have a lot of diversity. Thou, I don't agree with some of his choices, I do respect and give kudos to his collection, because of his range of manufacturers and generations. Little bit of everything in there. Diversity is good.

As I live in a fairly remote area in terms of access to pinball, I have had to rely on reviews and Pinside when decided games that I will buy. Thus I have bought many games that I've never played (MMr, TZ, TOTAN, WOZ, DI, GB). So far this has worked out well as I've liked all of them and all of these games are in the "never leaving" category.

#2781 2 years ago

agreed. CV is one of my favorite games. I have had people bag on it pretty harshly, and I understand why some don't like it. Just like with WOZ. I hate it for several reasons, but I also understand the ones that like it and why they like it.

Now SF2. I can't understand how anyone can like that game.

#2782 2 years ago

They don’t own Johnny Depps rights therefore they can’t license them

Wait, he's not on the playfield?

#2783 2 years ago

They can use still images and shots of his face but not anything beyond that.

#2784 2 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Wait, he's not on the playfield?

His face is all over the place. Game is amazing.

#2785 2 years ago

No callouts is fine with me. Bad enough having to see his face on the playfield, much less having to listen to him the entire game.

#2786 2 years ago

They can use still images and shots of his face but not anything beyond that.

To flesh that out a bit, when JJP licenses the PotC theme they get sent a kit that contains all the assets they can use, sort of a "style guide". Everything inside has been pre-approved for use. If they want to use something not inside that kit, then they need to go through the labyrinth of the approval process starting at the bottom, and there be dragons there. Months and months of back and forths that could change at any time on the whims of whomever is on the other end of the communication, which can change anytime.

So, easier to just use the style guide and save thousands of dollars in lawyer's fees and time, plus dev time chasing the stuff down.

#2787 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

To flesh that out a bit, when JJP licenses the PotC theme they get sent a kit that contains all the assets they can use, sort of a "style guide". Everything inside has been pre-approved for use. If they want to use something not inside that kit, then they need to go through the labyrinth of the approval process starting at the bottom, and there be dragons there. Months and months of back and forths that could change at any time on the whims of whomever is on the other end of the communication, which can change anytime.
So, easier to just use the style guide and save thousands of dollars in lawyer's fees and time, plus dev time chasing the stuff down.

See Alien for the "development hell" that can happen when you try to work outside their pre-approved images.

I remember Andrew Heighway at the start of it explaining to me that the package of stuff they sent them was filled with grainy black and white photos from the 1970s. Basically completely unusable for their purposes. From all the cash burn that resulted he doesn't own his company any more.

#2788 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

See Alien for the "development hell" that can happen when you try to work outside their pre-approved images.
I remember Andrew Heighway at the start of it explaining to me that the package of stuff they sent them was filled with grainy black and white photos from the 1970s. Basically completely unusable for their purposes. From all the cash burn that resulted he doesn't own his company any more.

Oh man, don't get me started. At least on these modern titles you're pretty much able to get some nice high rez marketing material. It took literally months to get someone at Fox to hunt down an image of the original egg poster that was even usable quality, and not a grainy postage stamp jpeg.

I don't want to derail things too much since this is a JJP thread, so I won't post a bunch of stuff here, but one of the craziest things about the "grainy black and white photos from the 1970s" was all the concept posters they included for some reason. I think this one is probably my favorite:

ALIEN_KEYART02 (resized).jpg

It's kinda cool in a "huh, things could have been utterly different" kind of way, but yeah, wasn't exactly *useful* in any way.

That's the full resolution by the way, Pinside is not shrinking it. Whole folders full of stuff that size, barely big enough for a website slideshow. Even if you're not a print expert I think you can get that trying to put that on a playfield would be an exercise in frustration.

#2789 2 years ago

I only read through about 500 of the 1500 posts that happened during expo so forgive the repeat if someone has mentioned this already. I asked one JJP person at the reveal when JJPOTC production would start. They replied late in the first quarter - likely late March. The next day (Saturday) I asked Eric himself while he was signing something for me and he stated that he will start to place part orders next month (November) for production in January. He was not wishy-washy with that statement and stated it as fact. Parts sometimes get delayed though ...

He also said that machines would go out soon for onsite testing just like DI did.

Just inputting some info here that I heard first hand from the designer himself.

#2790 2 years ago

While the game looks great, I'm out. Here's why:

WOZECLE pre-order: $6500
THSE pre-order: $7500 delivered
DILE: $8500
POTCLE: $9500

$9500!!! While I can afford it, it just doesn't make sense to drop that much dough on a pinball machine when an Xbox X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, latest & greatest 4K HDR tv, and kick ass sound system combined are still less than a single pinball machine. It's really too much now. Will Toy Story be $10,500 for an LE? The pattern points to yes. I was out after $7500 in principle.

#2791 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Just inputting some info here that I heard first hand from the designer himself.

Please remember it all takes time. Arrange the parts, inspect them. Get the assembly line in order. Practice the steps to build. Start to build. Measure and check, etc. etc. Slowly get up to speed.

No idea if they'll roll some prototypes or test games down the line first.

So when production does start. It could take a little time before Jack does the first games leaving in a semi truck and trailer cartwheels.

LTG : )

#2792 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

He also said that machines would go out soon for onsite testing just like DI did.

Here’s predicting that someone notices some scratch on the playfield or screw that came loose on one of the prototypes and starts freaking out about quality only to have to be reminded that it is a prototype designed to ferret out those types of issues.

#2793 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

$9500!!! While I can afford it, it just doesn't make sense to drop that much dough on a pinball machine when an Xbox X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, latest & greatest 4K HDR tv, and kick ass sound system combined are still less than a single pinball machine. It's really too much now. Will Toy Story be $10,500 for an LE? The pattern points to yes. I was out after $7500 in principle.

I believe that DILE was always listed at $9000. Anyway, I agree in the escalating pricepoint being a huge turnoff. Also, games at these prices are only for a select group of pinball people, those that can pay and don't sweat the cost and those that just have to have the latest and greatest. Beyond that there are a lot of people like you and me that just don't feel the price is fair or giving enough value for the cost and thus we don't purchase. Games between the prices of $4000 and $7000 were allowing a much larger group take part in buying.

#2794 2 years ago

I just noticed the hidden shot behind the upper left flipper. That's pretty damn cool!

JJP's POTC seems to have it all.

#2795 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just noticed the hidden shot behind the upper left flipper. That's pretty damn cool!
JJP's POTC seems to have it all.

Except a sane price!

#2796 2 years ago

I believe the answer is "yes" but I want to ask anyway, is a wide body just a dimension change left to right? Meaning will it still fit bottom to top the same as a standard body pinball in a vehicle? The only thing to consider is that one dimension change?

#2797 2 years ago

Agree, it would be nice to get the standard back down around $7500 range. Would open up a much larger market and really attack the Stern premium price range.

#2798 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I believe the answer is "yes" but I want to ask anyway, is a wide body just a dimension change left to right? Meaning will it still fit bottom to top the same as a standard body pinball in a vehicle? The only thing to consider is that one dimension change?

Yup. Left to right. There are some oddball games that have different dimensions, but for the most part, just a wider body.

#2799 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Yes but the width of the head is standard and still wider than the body. So if a standard pinball fits in your car, so will a wide body.

#2800 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I personally don’t even think you matter in the equation. Just like how I don’t matter in the equation because I’m not buying the game.

Point is 200 ppl will ante up for the C.E. and it will sell out. that’s all that matters to JJP.

When JJP just had woz. They needed to sell that machine to keep the line going.

Since they have 4 machines to sell. They can price the SE and LE higher because their target audience is larger buying all 4 titles and so thier production line is always actively busy and going

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 43.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 76.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside