Topic Stats

• 3,753 posts
  • 528 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Zampinator
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 260 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181026_122121778 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_131620186 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_133524638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_101424526 (resized).jpg
IMG_0665 (resized).JPG
20180407_181132 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180413-205239 (resized).png
20180327_165820 (resized).jpg
20180412_183405 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 76.
#2601 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

but we've still seen WOZ get sold for thousands less than what they currently go for.

I don't think you should expect to get all your money back on any game once you've had it a while and played it, and sure the more you payed the bigger hit you are bound to take.

But would you like me to tell you about the bath I took on BM66 premium just to move it along quickly? Water under the bridge now and I don't dwell on it.

#2602 2 years ago

solarvalue, nice photo... who sent it to you?

#2603 2 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I thought Stern had the rights to Disney themes or at least pretty firm ties.

I seem to say this in nearly every thread where people come up with stuff about the licensing, but why not another?

I worked with VERY similar licensing agreements. Stern has the right to pay Disney money to license some of their themes if Disney agree the amount Stern is going to pay is enough for what they are doing.

That's it.

Anything that Disney has, if you pay enough for the license, they would license it. Anything. So long as what they are licensing is something they are okay with licensing.

You could not pay Disney enough to license a paddle with Mickey Mouse's face on it to spank your kids with. But if you want to license the Black Cauldron to make socks with that on it, Disney will gladly listen I promise, so long as you have cash.

When you obtain a license, you say if you want it to be exclusive for that item or not. If you want the exclusive manufacturing rights for, say, a pinball machine, you incorporate that into your bid. If two pinball companies are bidding on a license, the one with more money would win basically every time. There are some extenuating circumstances that might come into play, but very rarely - and that would be more like they saw a mock up and liked the competitor's project more. Although more money can get them to go with the lesser product anyway.

Long term contracts work a bit differently (because they have no end date, and basically say they will last until something happens) but this isn't what a pinball one would be. You still license small parts of it all though, there is absolutely no way in heck that Disney would say to JJP or Stern, "Hey, we like you, so if you want to make a machine on... well... anything we have at all, we'd be happy to have you do so! Anything!" These contracts are very specific, and end either when they are done, or if certain things happen (or don't).

If anyone wants to read a real license agreement, one that is particularly fascinating, Marvel's contract with Universal's Islands of Adventure is online and can be found here:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

Because it is discussing a license that would be built - the park was going to build up their stuff - this is one that operates in perpetuity with the only decision to terminate it in the hands of Universal, much to the chagrin of Disney now that they own Marvel.

Ultimately though, and you can see it even in this, they didn't sign with Universal because they thought they were nice guys. They signed because they wanted their characters to be used in ways that would earn them more royalties from those characters, and Universal would guarantee an amount of money to be paid to them each year for the license and advertising.

#2604 2 years ago

Are you saying I should give up on my plans to develop and market a Silly Symphonies spanking machine?

#2605 2 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Are you saying I should give up on my plans to develop and market a Silly Symphonies spanking machine?

I mean, if you had an absolutely crazy amount of money, I'm sure they would consider it...

#2606 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But would you like me to tell you about the bath I took on BM66 premium just to move it along quickly? Water under the bridge now and I don't dwell on it.

I'm interested in hearing about this bath. How much did you lose?

#2607 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm interested in hearing about this bath. How much did you lose?

Put it this way, it probably cost me at least $5 - $10 a play when I owned it. I'm sure I could have held out for more money, but when you've got a guy at the door with a stack of cash, and you want something to go, those minor details aren't always running thru your head. $6500 looks real good in stacks of Benjamins.

You know what they say though. A fool and his money....

#2608 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Did you guys watch to the end of the stream when they are interviewing Jack? He said "We had a lot of wind in our sails...*nervously laughs*...no pun intended...going into this reveal and really felt this would solidify our legacy as a great pinball manufacturer but then...but then...*tears up a bit*...but then NeilMcRae posted a leaked picture of the collector's edition on Pinside and now we will be shutting the factory down tomorrow...I'm sorry...*hurriedly walks away with face in hands, clearly sobbing*
So I guess maybe I won't be getting that LE I put the deposit on tonight.

Hmm now I know what this must be about!!

1CAE7366-623E-4205-8537-26BD40F789BA (resized).png

#2609 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Yeah man. Not too cool.

#2610 2 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Yeah man. Not too cool.

To be fair, wasn't that pic pulled off JJP's website to begin with? Security starts at home...

#2611 2 years ago

Had a chance to actually play three balls today (only played one on Thursday, too crowded).

Only gripe I have with the game is this:

At the beginning you are tasked with selecting your character. Very cool that they all have their own unique abilities in the game! Anyway, someone who doesn't know about the action button is naturally going to press the start button once they have found a character they like. Wouldn't you know it? You're now playing a two player game. I made the mistake as did plenty of others.

Small gripe, but if this game is on location and there are more than one credit in the machine, a first time player is going to start a two player game when they might not necessarily want to.

#2612 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To be fair, wasn't that pic pulled off JJP's website to begin with? Security starts at home...

The pic is on the website....wtf does this mean? Did I just buy more vapor ware?

#2613 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The pic is on the website....wtf does this mean? Did I just buy more vapor ware?

Apparently someone at JJP put the pic up before they were supposed to, and then a bunch of pinsiders got bent out of shape when somebody put it here. I don't know man...

#2614 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Apparently someone at JJP put the pic up before they were supposed to, and then a bunch of pinsiders got bent out of shape when somebody put it here. I don't know man...

Weird.....

#2615 2 years ago

The files were "hidden" on their webserver, but they unfortunately had directory browsing turned on. They are also using a very predictable folder naming scheme because of using wordpress.

#2616 2 years ago

Doesn't sound like they were very well hidden. Either way they were there for the public to view.

#2617 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The files were "hidden" on their webserver, but they unfortunately had directory browsing turned on. They are also using a very predictable folder naming scheme because of using wordpress.

It’s the whole “ Jack sobbing” thing that grabbed my attention. Is there something ( jokewise) I missed somewhere?

I didn’t watch the stream TRAMD referred to

#2618 2 years ago

Played it a bunch today at expo and it was awesome!!

20171014_095244 (resized).jpg

#2619 2 years ago

I think this is one of the coolest looking games ever designed and I'm going to pre-order one. One concern I do have is regarding the use of assets that is discussed in the Pinball News POTC interview with Jack and Eric.

Apparently the game will not feature any voice work from the 5 film's. The only call outs heard will be from the custom call outs which are thankfully recorded by one of the film's actors. Also, Eric said that 1,100 custom lines were recorded! Still, not having any voice work from the other characters, especially Jack Sparrow, is a bit of a bummer.

I haven't finished watching the interview but I wonder if no video clips are currently in the game as they are not allowed? Not having the voices, licensed music (at least the main track), and possibly video assets as well stinks but I know JJP has to follow the rules that Disney, the licensor, sets.

Still, just what an incredibly looking and fun game. Can't wait to play it.

#2620 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Still, not having any voice work from the other characters, especially Jack Sparrow, is a bit of a bummer.

I get this, and agree, but perhaps viewing it as an unlicensed pirate theme would help? When I do that it is faultless.

#2621 2 years ago

In a way I almost prefer it, it means they have to be a little creative and it can be more relevant to the ride. The display is incredibly elegant, as well.

#2622 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Doesn't sound like they were very well hidden. Either way they were there for the public to view.

We're really going to rehash this? Obviously JJP didn't want it out there. They made an innocent mistake. Neil took it upon himself to post pics on here. It was a dick move. Plain and simple. How anyone thinks it was okay is beyond me.

#2623 2 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

In a way I almost prefer it, it means they have to be a little creative and it can be more relevant to the ride. The display is incredibly elegant, as well.

Absolutely. Good point.

#2624 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

You better change your number ASAP! You know Jack probably has mafia ties.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

It’s the whole “ Jack sobbing” thing that grabbed my attention. Is there something ( jokewise) I missed somewhere?
I didn’t watch the stream TRAMD referred to

I was joking about all of the people angry with Neil and talking like it was going to ruin the whole reveal for JJP; which it clearly did not. I didn't see Jack at all on the part of the stream I watched and I am sure he is on cloud nine as he loves pinball and pinheads and many of us love him too and his new game looks like it will be a smash hit. I look forward to mine arriving.

Sorry if my joke caused confusion.

#2625 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

You better change your number ASAP! You know Jack probably has mafia ties.

I was joking about all of the people angry with Neil and talking like it was going to ruin the whole reveal for JJP; which it clearly did not. I didn't see Jack at all on the part of the stream I watched and I am sure he is on cloud nine as he loves pinball and pinheads and many of us love him too and his new game looks like it will be a smash hit. I look forward to mine arriving.
Sorry if my joke caused confusion.

Whew...was counting on this being a joke....apologies for not seeing the pretext somewhere above....

#2626 2 years ago

Just looking at the std vs le

Looks like besides the armour, the star lights, rock plastics on the left and spinning guy on the pops is whats missing from the standard?

#2627 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Looks like besides the armour, the star lights, rock plastics on the left and spinning guy on the pops is whats missing from the standard?

I just finished watching the Pinball News interview with Eric and Jack. Here's a few notes regarding the SE to LE differences.

1. Doesn't come with invisiglass or shaker
2. Doesn't have the spinning guy on pops
3. White GI only on SE, no RGB GI
4. Doesn't have devils triangle mold
5. Doesn't have the star chart toy

#2628 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just finished watching the Pinball News interview with Eric and Jack. Here's a few notes regarding the SE to LE differences.

Invisible glassand shaker are basically $400-$450. If you would get them regardless I think it's a no brainer.

#2629 2 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

We're really going to rehash this?

Rehash waht?

#2630 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It has more toys, that's all you need to know Panzer Don't overthink it.

#2631 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Invisiglass
Shaker
External headphone jack
Powder coat
Spinning pirate bumper
Left wire for cave
Constellation panel
Acrylic topper
Target decals
RGB gi

#2632 2 years ago

I wouldn't want want that cheap standard edition. It's LE or bust, baby!

#2633 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It has more toys, that's all you need to know Panzer Don't overthink it.

Yea..I was going to compare the features matrix, but too much to wade through. Does the glass ship in a bottle topper come w the CE? Gotta have that.....

#2634 2 years ago

JJP really needed to cover up that DI stink fest of a seller.

They hit a grand slam with POTC

#2635 2 years ago

Never mind....just saw it did....

#2636 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think you're right. The whole scene has been "meh" for me for ages, and the most exciting thing I've brought in lately has been AC/DC Pro VE, lol! JPOT is going to satisfy a lot of what people have been champing for for a while. Could be a big flurry of pent up demand released.

#2637 2 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Invisible glassand shaker are basically $400-$450. If you would get them regardless I think it's a no brainer.

That's the nice thing about JJP's SE to LE cost difference. It actually pencils out, whereas Stern gives you about 20% (or less) value for their Pro-Premium bump.

#2638 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

JJP really needed to cover up that DI stink fest of a seller.

Your joking right?I mean about Dialed In

#2639 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Not one iota

If the several hundred that love it, great

But you've already seen orders on POTC explode, CE orders in the first day have exceeded the entire DICE sales

POTC is the JJP home run and Toy Story is next

DI will end up being a "non licensed" failed experiment, yet still overall JJP quality that nobody wants at that price

#2640 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Ummm....

#2641 2 years ago

Di is more loved now than you think ice..... its one the best shooting pins ever made and has lots of great/neat features... not to mention the code is excellent and getting better very soon. May not get alot love here on pinside but it does elsewhere.. trust me .

#2642 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

He chose Batman 66 instead.

wpid-wp-1408882959007 (resized).jpeg

#2643 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not one iota
If the several hundred that love it, great
But you've already seen orders on POTC explode, CE orders in the first day have exceeded the entire DICE sales
POTC is the JJP home run and Toy Story is next
DI will end up being a "non licensed" failed experiment, yet still overall JJP quality that nobody wants at that price

Will see how many pay up and dont cancel when its time for full payment of these very expensive toys. Anyome can put a refundable deposit down from all the excitement.....

#2644 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Di is more loved now than you think ice..... its one the best shooting pins ever made and has lots of great/neat features... not to mention the code is excellent and getting better very soon. May not get alot love here on pinside but it does elsewhere.. trust me .

Well I'm thrilled with POTC and going by what i hear on DI sales.

I'm sure some will cancel BUT.....

Not saying the ugly duckling can't have its day in the sun for a bit

POTC is on another planet by comparison imo

Just JJP raising the bar substantially, and sales will tell the tale

They got me, and that ain't no small feat! I'm back on the train

And yes Odiner, I love/hate my BM66

#2645 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Will see how many pay up and dont cancel when its time for full payment of these very expensive toys. Anyome can put a refundable deposit down from all the excitement.....

I’ll pay the day April tells me to send the check. Suspect DI is loved by a group, but POTC is what JJP needed. DI is an acquired ( very acquired) taste. Extremely excited for this one.....

#2646 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oh,I see!

#2647 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Me too, w zero regrets. BM66LE will finish into a top 5 game.....I’m anxious to regain the great relationship w Eric and all of JJP that I had w WOZ. Out of respect, my DI comments and knowledge will remain mine alone.

#2648 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I chose both......

Ice will never see the light on Dialed In - the theme is far too modern for him. Now if it was called Mailed In he would be all over it.

Dialed in is f*n awesome.

#2649 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I chose both......
Ice will never see the light on Dialed In - the theme is far too modern for him. Now if it was called Mailed In he would be all over it.
Dialed in is f*n awesome.

i forgot he was a old man...now it all makes sense.
Joking aside jjp makes some great pins .. much better than anyone else imo... cant wait to own them all.... even hobbit as its still better than most newer pins .

#2650 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

i forgot he was a old man...now it all makes sense.

I could see it now. Phone replaced by a post box, drones replaced by horse & cart, theatre could stay the same but run old Charlie Chaplin flicks. Sim scoop could be the postage stamp scoop. Bingo.

Might even get O-din to prise open the wallet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plymouth, MN
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Chesterfield, VA
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 76.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside