FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 76.
#2401 6 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

That's almost $16K converted to CDN money.
Beautiful game otherwise and congrats to JJP on doing such a great job!

yep a standard here is $12197.08 with taxes and not counting starburst profit on top of that, a lot of money for a toy.

i was hoping for a better price but the game looks amazing!

#2402 6 years ago

Carparison
Stern = Toyota - steady Eddy, nothing fancy, gets the job done
JJP = Mercedes - more expensive than Toyota, fewer cars in the lineup, lots of bells and whistles, gets the job done in style.

Not the best carparison, but whatever

#2403 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

You're a fisherman now anyway. All you need is a pole and a nightcrawler.

Not sure you understand fishing. How many games have you pre-ordered and not purchased at this point? I hope Larry gets your payment deposited quickly.

#2404 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yep a standard here is $12197.08 with taxes and not counting starburst profit on top of that, a lot of money for a toy.
i was hoping for a better price but the game looks amazing!

I would give my business to Nitro over Starburst. My friend ordered a pin and it was cheaper from Nitro delivered to his door then ordering from Starbust and he would have had to drive down from up North to pick it up too!

#2405 6 years ago

Aren't the Real prices always less than the MSRP?

#2406 6 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

I would give my business to Nitro over Starburst. My friend ordered a pin and it was cheaper from Nitro delivered to his door then ordering from Starbust and he would have had to drive down from up North to pick it up too!

i agree, i might give it a shot.

#2407 6 years ago

It looks interesting and fun to shoot, but I'm deeply disappointed in a re-tread theme and outlandish prices. I'd much rather have a Dialed In.

The Pirates movies make for a good theme... in 2006.

#2408 6 years ago

I was disappointed in the theme but have to say game does look great. Theme is not that important to me but I would rather see something new than a theme already done. In the end, a good game is a good game. JJP is definitely making Stern look bad. Price is the killer for me as well. I really liked DI and this one looks to be pretty good, too. Even if I had a little more cash to spend, I would still hesitate spending that much on one game. At least with JJP games, you can somewhat justify the high price tag. That thing is loaded.

#2409 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Where does all this Depp hate come from? Honest question.

He's newsworthy in the last 24months due to allegations of domestic abuse and claims of excessive behavior while being a diva.

#2410 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Carparison
Stern = Toyota - steady Eddy, nothing fancy, gets the job done

Idk about that. Toyotas are bullet proof.

#2411 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Aren't the Real prices always less than the MSRP?

Not with JJP.

#2412 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I just paid $800 for a new fly rod last week that I'm basically going to be using situationally. It's not a cheap sport.

#2413 6 years ago

Who knows how this whole pricing thing is gonna play out but JJP just sniped a bunch of LE sales from Stern

Based on how Stern has done in the past with LEs I'd say the upper end market is there to go get.

#2414 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Can someone post a picture of SW playfield next to a JJPOTC playfield?

boom, all i could find at the moment.

JJPotc vs SWLE PF (resized).jpgJJPotc vs SWLE PF (resized).jpg

#2415 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Well Ontario is 13%

Dont we pay less tax if we buy from Tommy?

#2416 6 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Dont we pay less tax if we buy from Tommy?

I do believe so

#2417 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Who knows how this whole pricing thing is gonna play out but JJP just sniped a bunch of LE sales from Stern
Based on how Stern has done in the past with LEs I'd say the upper end market is there to go get.

Yeah, the LE model is what is going to feel it. Pros are largely unaffected by what JJP is doing, I'd wager. Now, the CGC remakes, they are a bit of a threat to the Stern Pros, but not really the JJP games.

#2418 6 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Nitro gets my money every time for NIB even if the price is more. Tommy and nitro are always around to chat or respond to emails. They support pinball events like crazy.

#2419 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Carparison
Stern = Toyota, steady Eddy, nothing fancy, gets the job done
JJP = Mercedes - more expensive than Toyota, fewer cars in the lineup, lots of bells and whistles, gets the job done in style.

Yes but what Stern is doing would be like Toyota charging $70k for a Corolla as hey Mercedes does it. Lol.

#2420 6 years ago

Anyone who comes in this thread and talks about Stern (why I don't know), needs help. This game looks fantastic. Sure the price is high, but you get what you pay for. If you can't afford JJP games, there are plenty of other companies making games. Just saying.

#2421 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Anyone who comes in this thread and talks about Stern (why I don't know), needs help. This game looks fantastic. Sure the price is high, but you get what you pay for. If you can't afford JJP games, there are plenty of other companies making games. Just saying.

The people bringing up Stern are all huge JJP fans.

#2422 6 years ago

Don’t quote me on this because some businesses may work around it

But geneally no. If u have a product shipped to your province. U pay your provincial taxes

If u drove down to that province and picked it up. Then you pay that provinces taxes. I believe legally u are suppose to file it in your taxes and then pay the difference but no one is going to do that

#2423 6 years ago

JJP Pirates - the full featured standard looks appealing, but at $8.5k is probably $1.5k above where it needs to be priced imo. LE at $1k more has enough upgrades to justify its purchase over the standard, if you like bling. CE is another $3k but only offers better cabinet art and hardware color (so far), making it a poor choice. Can't wait to find some rich friends or a pinball show, so I can start playing Pirates soon.

JJP - if code is 20% done, how about selling me a POTC for 20% of msrp?

#2424 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The people bringing up Stern are all huge JJP fans.

I don't give a rip who makes a game. I'll play it if it's fun. If I love it, I'll consider picking it up. But if people want to draw comparisons, there simply isn't a fair one between what Stern has done with their last couple of releases against the last couple from JJP. Even in all its stripped down simplicity, Star Wars is still under cooked. Taking their premium or LE model, which should be the luxury model, it's crazy how chintzy it is. That piece of garbage jump ramp is a constant ball hangup that often rejects shots. They pulled features from previous LE models. Nothing about it feels premium, it feels wobbly and lame. If this is the luxury line for Stern, and they're going to keep targeting the high-end collector with stuff like this, people are going to be quick to cry foul. As a fan of just pinball in general, I'm really frustrated with Stern these days.

I'm not happy with the NIB pricing from anybody these days, but I don't play dollar values. It's pretty hard to look at Star Wars and feel like it measures up in any way against Dialed In or Pirates on just an effort level. JJP is trying. Stern is phoning it in and coasting. People are going to keep pointing that out.

#2425 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

JJP Pirates - full featured standard looks appealing, but at $8.5k is probably $1.5k above where it needs to be selling imo. LE is only $1k more and has enough upgrades to justify its purchase over the standard if you like bling. CE is another $3k and other than hardware, nothing else has been announced for it, making it a poor choice.
Can't wait to find some rich friends so I can play one too.

I can’t see that happening. JJP business model has always been pricing a machine high but giving a totally decked out machine. Their starting price points have been where other others end. That’s their business model. Cater to the high end Pinball crowd.

#2426 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't give a rip who makes a game. I'll play it if it's fun. If I love it, I'll consider picking it up. But if people want to draw comparisons, there simply isn't a fair one between what Stern has done with their last couple of releases against the last couple from JJP. Even in all its stripped down simplicity, Star Wars is still under cooked. Taking their premium or LE model, which should be the luxury model, it's crazy how chintzy it is. That piece of garbage jump ramp is a constant ball hangup that often rejects shots. They pulled features from previous LE models. Nothing about it feels premium, it feels wobbly and lame. If this is the luxury line for Stern, and they're going to keep targeting the high-end collector with stuff like this, people are going to be quick to cry foul. As a fan of just pinball in general, I'm really frustrated with Stern these days.
I'm not happy with the NIB pricing from anybody these days, but I don't play dollar values. It's pretty hard to look at Star Wars and feel like it measures up in any way against Dialed In or Pirates on just an effort level. JJP is trying. Stern is phoning it in and coasting. People are going to keep pointing that out.

I don’t believe stern machines are meant to

Sterns business model is making a pro game at a relatively low price point. With their prem and LE adding more or upgrading parts but are designed to play relatively the same.

Where as JJP has always been about pricing and catering to the high end Pinball market. So it should always have more and feel more compared to a stern.

#2427 6 years ago

What do I think. I think youve got me converted from a Stern fan to a JJP fan.

Now you're a Stern fan? You do nothing but shit rip them all day long.

Quoted from delt31:

Alien still crushes this game IMO but I also don't care for the theme and absolutely love Alien/it's atmosphere, etc. No pinball game delivers the suspense/feel/thriller that is alien pinball (ever).

Because you've played them both?

#2428 6 years ago

Well Ontario is 13%

BC is 12% GST + PST

#2429 6 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Perfect timing on this, was just about to pull the trigger on a Star Wars LE. What is the best way to preorder? I have never done NIB before, so I don't have a distributor. Live in North Dakota, and don't really have any local places. So excited for this!

Call Gary at Abel Electronics....he's one the largest JJP distributors, and a great guy to deal with...cant go wrong

#2430 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I don’t believe stern machines are meant to
Sterns business model is making a pro game at a relatively low price point. With their prem and LE adding more or upgrading parts but are designed to play relatively the same.
Where as JJP has always been about pricing and catering to the high end Pinball market. So it should always have more and feel more compared to a stern.

Then why the disparity in playfield features? Why the major price jump over the pro? It doesn't make sense. Stern started this whole "meant for the operator/meant for the home" model nonsense.

#2431 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Indy was 3 movies, LotR was 3 movies, Hobbit was too. The interchange scenarios and missions sound impressive, but I hope it's not handled like Hobbit where there's a LOT of same-ness. Give me less but make it all memorable.

I really like little details like the lanterns on the ship playfield flickering.

They made it a point to express that no two games on JJPOTC will play the same. We will see if they pulled that off.

#2432 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

They made it a point to express that no two games on JJPOTC will play the same. We will see if they pulled that off.

OK, Who brought the dog?!

#2433 6 years ago

One of the many great things about JJP games is that the game play is the same for the SE, LE, and CE (although they claim there's extra code?)....what your really paying for is different trim, graphics, and glass....although I have heard the toys are a little different on the POTC LE and CE, but thats not consistent with what the designer said in his speech.

#2434 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

J
JJP - if code is 20% done, how about selling me a POTC for 20% of msrp?

And sell software updates to us for each new version to make it back.

#2435 6 years ago

JJP is the new sherif in town. I wonder what other stern games they will remake.

144cap005 (resized).jpg144cap005 (resized).jpg

#2436 6 years ago

Does the spinning pop bumper play any different then a standard pop or is it just the pirate spinning on top?

#2437 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

One of the many great things about JJP games is that the game play is the same for the SE, LE, and CE (although they claim there's extra code?)....what your really paying for is different trim, graphics, and glass....although I have heard the toys are a little different on the POTC LE and CE, but thats not consistent with what the designer said in his speech.

Believe the toy differences are only cosmetic...
- Bumpers on standard don't have spinning toys on top
- spinners are not edge lit RGB (I believe)
... etc.
So game plays same... code is same... but bling is different.
(i.e. you don't lose the moving upper playfield or other parts of game that actually interact with the ball).

#2438 6 years ago

Great job by the JJP team! Congratulations!

#2439 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Then why the disparity in playfield features? Why the major price jump over the pro? It doesn't make sense. Stern started this whole "meant for the operator/meant for the home" model nonsense.

This is exactly the difference between sterns vs JJP model

JJP model is all about high end. So their cheapest game is loaded and the trim levels just offers more bling but doesn’t affect the game itself

Stern is a mix of both. So the pro model is relatively cheap. Stern wants to the le/prem to play relatively the same but want to add extra features to it so more money is spent on development of the way the 2 games play

If stern were to use JJP approach.

The prem and le would be striped down to pro level and play the same and have wire ramps instead of plastic. No extra magnets,flippers, etc. have more ornaments,shaker, glass etc

They have completely different business model approaches

Everyone wants stern to build a game like JJP

If stern were to do that. They wouldn’t have a pro model.

I will say stern LE should offer more over their premium. Like shaker, glass and or topper etc

#2440 6 years ago

no interest in the theme at all

but damn this game looks fun, very exciting stuff

#2441 6 years ago

JJP is clearly the Tesla of pinball.

#2442 6 years ago

I just want them to build a game that's fun, with complete code, and a cabinet that won't fall apart. That seems to be too much for them to handle though...

#2443 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

LOL, leave him alone Kenny.

#2444 6 years ago

I don't want another JJP. I just want Stern to start trying harder. They're not doing anything interesting right now. Ghostbusters was pretty cool, despite it being a maintenance nightmare. The magna slings are a smart invention, Slimer is a better bash style toy than a target with a magnet core, and the Ecto Goggles are neat (though criminally underused). Stern doesn't need to make an expensive game, but they need to make something that isn't just more of the same old thing.

#2445 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Believe the toy differences are only cosmetic...
- Bumpers on standard don't have spinning toys on top
- spinners are not edge lit RGB (I believe)
... etc.
So game plays same... code is same... but bling is different.
(i.e. you don't lose the moving upper playfield or other parts of game that actually interact with the ball).

Thanks for the clarification...its just nice that u get the same game play on all the machines, which is not the case with Stern.

#2446 6 years ago

The new acronym should be 10-15kPOTC

Lol. I can't believe people are paying these ridiculous prices

#2447 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

The new acronym should be 10-15kPOTC

But it doesn't start at $10k and it doesn't go up to $15k...so, uh, what? I don't want to defend the price, because it's high, but let's not just make stuff up that's not true now.

#2448 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

But it doesn't start at $10k and it doesn't go up to $15k...so, uh, what? I don't want to defend the price, because it's high, but let's not just make stuff up that's not true now.

I didn't bother checking price. Figured I was in the ball park. 8500-12500. Plus shipping. So I would say I was in the ballpark

So I will fix it for ya

9-13KPOTC. Lol

#2449 6 years ago

The people bringing up Stern are also often fans of this hobby in general and so want every company to be successful by making the best games that can be made (not obviously phoning it in as we have seen lately). This is why we bring it up - because we care about the direction the industry is going.

#2450 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't want another JJP. I just want Stern to start trying harder. They're not doing anything interesting right now. Ghostbusters was pretty cool, despite it being a maintenance nightmare. The magna slings are a smart invention, Slimer is a better bash style toy than a target with a magnet core, and the Ecto Goggles are neat (though criminally underused). Stern doesn't need to make an expensive game, but they need to make something that isn't just more of the same old thing.

I agree. Stern LE gets bashed often when their own LEs gets compared to their STLE

But let’s take a look a ST pro vs STLE. In terms of gameplay what’s the difference. The left outer lane ball save kickback other than the that the game plays the same.

The major coding difference is the warp ramp chase lights and color changing LEDs which adds time to the code. But nothing like got pro and gotle.

So on STLE the money saved on developing 2 different playing games and be used on more toys and bling.

Much like how JJP standard model,Le and CE model

So the question comes down to. Would someone pay stern LEs price that plays the same as a pro. Ex STLE vs the base price of a JJP.

I personally love how Star Trek pro plays. But it’s still sparse compared to the base JJP. Now adding more bling to it like how STLE did. Still doesn’t compare to say a WOZ standard.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4/page/49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.