FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 76.
#1151 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They ruined it when they put those shoulder restraints that beat the crap out of your ears. But I hear they are gone now.

That thing was so fun. I heard it got moved to Mexico.

The Seattle fair used to have a Wildcat every year. No idea if they still do. I love that ride. So much fun in such a small footprint.

#1152 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was really bummed when they took out the Log Jammer a few years ago. I always loved to do some Log Jamming.

With Bunny and Karl Hungus.

#1153 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They ruined it when they put those shoulder restraints that beat the crap out of your ears. But I hear they are gone now.

That thing was so fun. I heard it got moved to Mexico.

Loved mountain express. They used to feature it in a starburst commercial. I only went on it once then it broke down. They got rid of it a few month later.

Yeah, they ruined Revolution. It hurt too much to ride.

#1154 6 years ago

What's real burly is having lived thru the early days of Magic Mountain and going up there now and riding Tatsu and Goliath along with some of the others. You can keep X-2 though. That thing's painful. Twisted Colossus is awesome.

Wish they would have kept Deja Vu too as that thing was a blast.

#1155 6 years ago

Shiver me timbers, It's Pirates

#1156 6 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

John Carpenters greatest hits

lol... Winball_Pizard check out that poster.

#1157 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What's real burly is having lived thru the early days of Magic Mountain and going up there now and riding Tatsu and Goliath along with some of the others. You can keep X-2 though. That thing's painful. Twisted Colossus is awesome.
Wish they would have kept Deja Vu too as that thing was a blast.

It is very easy to lose your wallet, keys, or phone on Tatsu.

Never got to ride Deja Vu. There was a 6'3 height restriction.

#1158 6 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

A JJP King Kong would be my grail, a must buy...

Agreed! Holy Grail indeed. I have Kong posters all over my basement but no pinball machine. Heck I even have Hi-Deal cause it's the closest thing!

#1159 6 years ago

I think a King Kong pin would be a disappointment to most. We would all speculate on all the ways that Kong would interact with the ball similar to the speculation of how Smaug would interact with the ball.

The finished product would probably be a head with stand up targets beneath it.

#1160 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

And gorilla fur all over the playfield.

LTG : )

#1161 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I picture a big head like on Godzilla. "You're in...his mouth!"

download (4) (resized).jpgdownload (4) (resized).jpg

#1162 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And gorilla fur all over the playfield.
LTG : )

JJP Dimple Guard (tm)

#1163 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I picture a big head like on Godzilla. "You're in...his mouth!"

Sounds like a Python design.

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Loved mountain express. They used to feature it in a starburst commercial. I only went on it once then it broke down. They got rid of it a few month later.
Yeah, they ruined Revolution. It hurt too much to ride.

It also hurt when they got rid of the 1776-1976 American Revolution theme and re-themed it to the Mexican revolution, which made ZERO sense. I mean, I understand pandering to clientele, but it ruined the history and theme of the ride. I think the shoulder restraints were added before that change, though. Honestly, they ruined that ride in many ways.

#1165 6 years ago

Futurama has to be done at some point, I mean what a great series, which unnecessarily unfortunately ended. Bring it please!

#1166 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It also hurt when they got rid of the 1776-1976 American Revolution theme and re-themed it to the Mexican revolution, which made ZERO sense. I mean, I understand pandering to clientele, but it ruined the history and theme of the ride. I think the shoulder restraints were added before that change, though. Honestly, they ruined that ride in many ways.

Now it's called the new Revolution and those shoulder harnesses are gone. The wanted to bring it back to the way it was.

#1167 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Now it's called the new Revolution and those shoulder harnesses are gone. The wanted to bring it back to the way it was.

Right but a lame VR ride? Is that pinkeye-spreading gimmick gone yet?

#1168 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Right but a lame VR ride? Is that pinkeye-spreading gimmick gone yet?

My daughter rode it a little while ago and there was no VR to be found. I think the trains are red white and blue now too.

The main difference from when the ride was new is it is now in a forest of pine trees.

#1169 6 years ago

Revolution wasn't the first inverted coaster. I believe that honor belonged to The Corkscrew at Knotts, a ride I enjoyed very much. But it now resides in Idaho, which is a little too far to travel to get my ya yas out.

#1170 6 years ago

jjp black sails

#1171 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Yes, I've been working like a madman on JJP#4. See you at Expo.

This suggests to me that #4 isn't fully baked yet (not surprising). I know JJP aspires to release multiple games each year. Towards that goal, have there been any indications given as to when #4 will be shipping? I assume they plan to 'beat' the late Q2 timing of Dialed In.

(Sorry to derail the thread from the coaster conversation... ...carry on

#1172 6 years ago

Still hope it's JAWS over Pirates...

latest (resized).pnglatest (resized).png

#1173 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

This suggests to me that #4 isn't fully baked yet (not surprising). I know JJP aspires to release multiple games each year. Towards that goal, have there been any indications given as to when #4 will be shipping? I assume they plan to 'beat' the late Q2 timing of Dialed In.

Why assume? They showed DI at Expo last year, looking pretty solid, and then shipped it when they did. No reason to think they couldn't just repeat the same schedule with #4.

#1174 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Thumbs up for that, made me laugh out loud and wake the guys up working the night shift with me at the fire house

#1175 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Well, to be fair, some are convinced they are working on a new improved version of Roller Coaster Tycoon.

#1176 6 years ago

You guys and your kiddie parks.....let me know when your ready to ride some real coasters!

steel vengeance_i (resized).jpgsteel vengeance_i (resized).jpg

#1177 6 years ago

Cedar Point has certainly grown up from the kiddie park it used to be while Magic Mountain was building record setting coasters, that's for sure.

#1178 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Cedar Point has certainly grown up from the kiddie park it used to be while Magic Mountain was building record setting coasters, that's for sure.

Yeah, basically the "coaster king" trophy bounces between those two parks constantly.

#1179 6 years ago

Cedar's the king now. After the Northridge quake took out a lot of the rides, I don't think they can build them much taller than they are now. You never know though...

#1180 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Cedar's the king now. After the Northridge quake took out a lot of the rides, I don't think they can build them much taller than they are now. You never know though...

And ever since the original owners sold to the conglomerate, they are making TONS of money. what does food cost now? $870?!

#1181 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And ever since the original owners sold to the conglomerate, they are making TONS of money. what does food cost now? $870?!

It helps that it is open year round that they are making money except weekdays in the winter, but sometimes I wonder how when a year pass is under $100, when that's what one day a Disneyland costs.

Food isn't cheap at any of the parks, but you can get a decent meal for $10. Fast food places are getting close to that anyway.

I will add there were rumors Magic Mountain was to be shut down and sold for real estate development about ten years ago, and if not for the economic collapse, it probably would have been.

#1182 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why assume? They showed DI at Expo last year, looking pretty solid, and then shipped it when they did. No reason to think they couldn't just repeat the same schedule with #4.

It is my understanding JJP wants to produce two new titles a year. In order to to do that in 2017, they would have to ship the second title before the end of the year (which I think is very unlikely). If they achieve this in 2018 and follow the same schedule as 2017, it will mean significant compression on the second 2018 title. My experience with schedule compression is that it is incremental. FOr example, a 3 mo compression for #4 giving 9 mos to deliver #5. So my assumption is based on that experience Obviously, we will know the answer next week, just curious to know if any info has been provided.

#1184 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

It is my understanding JJP wants to produce two new titles a year. In order to to do that in 2017, they would have to ship the second title before the end of the year (which I think is very unlikely). If they achieve this in 2018 and follow the same schedule as 2017, it will mean significant compression on the second 2018 title. My experience with schedule compression is that it is incremental. FOr example, a 3 mo compression for #4 giving 9 mos to deliver #5. So my assumption is based on that experience Obviously, we will know the answer next week, just curious to know if any info has been provided.

I'm thinking they'll move up the 2018 release of JJP#4 compared to Dialed In, shipping in March-ish, then announce JJP#5 at PAGG (Or whatever it's called now!) try to release in Q4 2018. I don't see them getting to the stated goal of 3/year for many years, especially if there's another pin-crash in there.

#1185 6 years ago

Back on topic... I"m a wooden coaster guy, those whisper smooth rides just don't give me the sense of impending death like the old wooden ones that beat you up. You can feel the frame strain, hear the joints creak and see the old bolts dancing as you race ahead.

#1186 6 years ago

So DI started shipping in around June this year, right? I think after the reveal at Expo this year they will try to start shipping by TPF. That would be smart. Maybe start to think about retiring the older games, TH and WOZ.

#1187 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

So DI started shipping in around June this year, right? I think after the reveal at Expo this year they will try to start shipping by TPF. That would be smart. Maybe start to think about retiring the older games, TH and WOZ.

WoZ is evergreen for JJP. They sell constantly, and JJP just re-upped the license. Hobbit, not so much. It will probably be retired, I'm guessing.

#1188 6 years ago

No pressure Jack to meet some release date next year!

We appreciate your dedication to the art rather than only to the bottom line so release when it's ready and we'll be patient. We have lots of rushed-to-meet-a-deadline-the-suits-said-it-has-to-be-released-this-quarter-remove-as-much-as-possible-to-increase-profits options already. It is you who leads the industry in quality and respect for the artform itself so take as much time as you need and hit each game out of the park.

The best way to make a killing in pinball over the long term is to make the very best pins that can possibly be made. Thanks Jack.

#1189 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I believe jack said something like a title every 9 months, it was less than 2 a year though. I suspect they will do the same as with DI, put it on location for a while for testing and then start rolling them out after a bit.

#1190 6 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I believe jack said something like a title every 9 months, it was less than 2 a year though. I suspect they will do the same as with DI, put it on location for a while for testing and then start rolling them out after a bit.

It would seem to me that a reveal and marketing of another game would cannibalize the one that was just released (??) or do I not get marketing at all?

#1191 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It would seem to me that a reveal and marketing of another game would cannibalize the one that was just released (??) or do I not get marketing at all?

Every pin is not for everyone. The goal is to cover the potential market of buyers at all times.

#1192 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Maybe, that's true for Stern but I think that JJP should just concentrate on building up a nice portfolio of games so they have something for everyone. After all they only have 3 games available at the moment, which isn't too many choices, especially if TH is retired.

#1193 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Guess it depends on your strategy. One company might focus on building hype up, getting product out as quickly as possible, and then repeating. Another might take another longer term view assuming the product will speak for itself and drive sales.

#1194 6 years ago

So what year and quarter can we expect this Jaws book theme?

SCAN0050 (resized).JPGSCAN0050 (resized).JPG

#1195 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Every pin is not for everyone. The goal is to cover the potential market of buyers at all times.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Maybe, that's true for Stern but I think that JJP should just concentrate on building up a nice portfolio of games so they have something for everyone. After all they only have 3 games available at the moment, which isn't too many choices, especially if TH is retired.

Exactly why I felt they needed to go with an adult focused pin like a Deadpool. They need to diversify a bit and target an audience that watches shows like Game of Thrones, Westworld or Spartacus.

#1196 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Exactly why I felt they needed to go with an adult focused pin like a Deadpool. They need to diversify a bit and target an audience that watches shows like Game of Thrones, Westworld or Spartacus.

You will probably be seeing a Deadpool pin at some point Tiger, unfortunately it won't be a JJP.

I still think JJP would absolutely knock a BTTF pin out of the park. And in all honesty if Heighway want to survive and make it to #3 they firstly need to get Alien out in numbers but stick with Adult themes and keep that share of the market predominantly theirs.

#1197 6 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Even with a title every 9 months, I think they're going to either need a larger facility, or to expand the existing one, as long as the market doesn't crash.

WOZ and DI are likely to continue selling in good numbers for the forseeable future. Assuming #4 isn't a stinker, and there's good demand for #5, I don't see how they'll avoid big order backlogs without an increase in production capacity. Recent footage of their facility suggests it's absolutely jam packed.

#1198 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Even with a title every 9 months, I think they're going to either need a larger facility, or to expand the existing one, as long as the market doesn't crash.
WOZ and DI are likely to continue selling in good numbers for the forseeable future. Assuming #4 isn't a stinker, and there's good demand for #5, I don't see how they'll avoid big order backlogs without an increase in production capacity. Recent footage of their facility suggests it's absolutely jam packed.

2016 saw the addition of the second playfield line to allow WOZ to go on without tying up the main line. At the time it was to not interfere with Hobbit; today it's to not interfere with DI. So that helps.

#1199 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

2016 saw the addition of the second playfield line to allow WOZ to go on without tying up the main line. At the time it was to not interfere with Hobbit; today it's to not interfere with DI. So that helps.

From what I read, they mothballed the dedicated second line, at least temporarily, or converted it back to DI. They couldn't keep up with DI orders so were only producing them for at least a couple of months AFAIK.

Maybe they can shift a lot of storage off site or into an adjacent building, and increase the size of the lines ... but it seemed to me like they were struggling to keep up. Pressure's likely to increase with #4 and #5.

Either way, I'm pretty certain earlier predictions about Stern having less than 50% of the market of new, shipping machines by the end of this year will be correct. Might be well under, given the numbers CGC appear to be producing.

#1200 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, to be fair, some are convinced they are working on a new improved version of Roller Coaster Tycoon.

I'm a fan of RCT. However I just won't spend $8k on a game anymore. So no matter what it ends up being I'm out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4/page/24?hl=procrastinator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.