FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 76.
#701 6 years ago

If JJP can make an original themed game like DI into a great success then why can't they just make a great original pirate-themed game without this, IMO, now-outdated, expensive I'm sure, POTC license?

Lets be honest here, DI in so good as a game that it is a success DESPITE it's very strange and convoluted theme and not because of it. I mean the art, marketing material and video features some mom-jeaned guy everywhere instead of some cool pirates and ships and it's a success!!! At least they took that guy off the sides of the backbox before final production after so many of us almost lost our minds on pinside. It's a pin theme chosen as though someone lost a bet. Yes I know you've all come around to love (accept) the theme of DI now but it was work.

Now seriously, imagine if DI the game was themed as an original pirates game, the final sales would double. All it would have took was to tell Pat, "you have full creative control, now make the best pirates game ever made!"

So why does JJP now have to move the theme-slider all the way from (wha?!) man-jean-phone-dude to the furthest other Disney-mega-media-conglomerate extreme and not just something in the middle like an original pirate theme?

#702 6 years ago

Stern's POTC is designed by Dennis Nordman, who had an interesting mechanism for the chest in mind that was cut. Photos of a mockup of what that mech would do were published in Pinball Magazine No. 2. As Dennis is still linked to Stern that won't help JJP, but it indicates there can be done more with the theme than what we have seen so far.

#703 6 years ago

Anyone know How much does a licensed theme add to a games cost? I'm sure the price varies on title and assets used, but with the limited number of these pinball machines made, it seems like a relatively small amount amount of money for a studio, and more of a promotional item that helps drive movie rentals and other licensed items. I'm thinking $100 per game x 3000 games = $300k. Maybe double that at best? Minus a license company percentage, percentage an actor or producer may have, and legal fees.

#704 6 years ago

People keep raving about the ship on Stern's POTC.
I don't like it and here's why:

- POTC was never about sinking ships. This is not "Battleships".
- the ship toy is supposed to be a stand-in for all the various ships that can be sunk. Instead of using a generic galleon, they went with the Flying Dutchman which is an unfortunate choice because of its very distinct appearance. Also the Dutchman can't be sunk as it is a vessel of the "supernatural kind".
- sinking the ship resembles destroying a certain castle or a particular UFO

I still like the POTC movies and there's an abundance of source material that would make for a great pin by JJP. However, I agree a generic pirate theme would probably sell better as the franchise may be a bit tired after all these years.

#705 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Anyone know How much does a licensed theme add to a games cost? I'm sure the price varies on title and assets used, but with the limited number of these pinball machines made, it seems like a relatively small amount amount of money for a studio, and more of a promotional item that helps drive movie rentals and other licensed items. I'm thinking $100 per game x 3000 games = $300k. Maybe double that at best? Minus a license company percentage, percentage an actor or producer may have, and legal fees.

Based on what I've heard from industry insiders $100 per game is way exaggerated. Certain companies used to pay like $20 per game for a license, but that was some years ago. Things changed when several pinball companies tried to outbid their competition, which is a strategy often played by parties representing certain properties. Once company A informs about a certain license the chances of company B receiving a phone call to see whether they are interested too is very likely as that leads to more income for the Licensor. The sad thing about that is that the pinball company pays more for the same license, but doesn't get any extras. It just adds to the bill of materials, meaning less budget to add extra features to a game.

#706 6 years ago

That's interesting about the $20 a game... Even if it's doubled since then, that's so little money, Based on the low volume of games sold. Maybe the next trend will be to license Beats audio speakers..... Lol

But actually there is new audio technology that beams sounds in a very narrow field. That would be useful when many machines are being played in close proximity.

#707 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Based on what I've heard from industry insiders $100 per game is way exaggerated. Certain companies used to pay like $20 per game for a license, but that was some years ago. Things changed when several pinball companies tried to outbid their competition, which is a strategy often played by parties representing certain properties. Once company A informs about a certain license the chances of company B receiving a phone call to see whether they are interested too is very likely as that leads to more income for the Licensor. The sad thing about that is that the pinball company pays more for the same license, but doesn't get any extras. It just adds to the bill of materials, meaning less budget to add extra features to a game.

Quoted from Vdrums:

That's interesting about the $20 a game... Even if it's doubled since then, that's so little money, Based on the low volume of games sold. Maybe the next trend will be to license Beats audio speakers..... Lol
But actually there is new audio technology that beams sounds in a very narrow field. That would be useful when many machines are being played in close proximity.

Wow, that's much lower than I would have thought. Perhaps there is an upfront payment with an ongoing royalty. Let's say it is somewhere in the middle at $50 a game. If 3,000 games sell, that's only $150,000. Hardly seems worth the time to negotiate the license, go through the approval process, etc. Much better for the IP holder to focus on Funko Pops or something. Of course, there is the added advertising element, but they can get that from so many sources. Still, $150k is $150k and since these large license holders have in-house licensing departments, perhaps it is worth it.

#708 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Wow, that's much lower than I would have thought. Perhaps there is an upfront payment with an ongoing royalty. Let's say it is somewhere in the middle at $50 a game. If 3,000 games sell, that's only $150,000. Hardly seems worth the time to negotiate the license, go through the approval process, etc. Much better for the IP holder to focus on Funko Pops or something. Of course, there is the added advertising element, but they can get that from so many sources. Still, $150k is $150k and since these large license holders have in-house licensing departments, perhaps it is worth it.

That's just the royalty - there's the upfront licensing fee which varies all over the place. There is money being spent.

2 weeks later
#709 6 years ago

So with About 30 days to go before JJp4 is supposed to be unveiled, does anyone have more info on this game or heavens forbid actually played it?

One of the things I don't know if anyone has brought up - actually a negative, is that these licenced movie themes seem to require that existing photo/artwork be used. At least DI has original hand drawn artwork.

I'm not too excited about a potc theme but JJP builds such nice playing machines I want to see what Potc looks like before committing to buying a DI.

#710 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

So with About 30 days to go before JJp4 is supposed to be unveiled, does anyone have more info on this game or heavens forbid actually played it?
One of the things I don't know if anyone has brought up - actually a negative, is that these licenced movie themes seem to require that existing photo/artwork be used. At least DI has original hand drawn artwork.
I'm not too excited about a potc theme but JJP builds such nice playing machines I want to see what Potc looks like before committing to buying a DI.

From what I've heard, almost certainly Toy Story.

#711 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

30 Days?! Man, that's coming up fast!

I've played it. It's pretty sweet.

#712 6 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Played it, my ass. You designed it.

#713 6 years ago

I'm curious if it will be shipping in the next few months or will it be just be an announcement with shipping in 2018. Has anyone heard anything on that?

#714 6 years ago
#715 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I'm curious if it will be shipping in the next few months or will it be just be an announcement with shipping in 2018. Has anyone heard anything on that?

It will be same as last yr 6/8 month wait

#716 6 years ago

I'm glad this is being announced so soon, really want to see it before committing to any other new/used games.

#717 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

From what I've heard, almost certainly Toy Story.

Jesus Jack can't you pick a decent theme already, I want to buy a JJP but WTF?

#718 6 years ago

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Pinball is a childish thing - a toy.

Toy Story is a perfect theme.

#720 6 years ago

Wife wants a Disney themed pin. Looks like I'm good either way POTC or Toy Story. Can't wait for the reveal.

#721 6 years ago

Let's assume that it's either of the 2. Now what does that mean for Stern and their relationship with Disney? Thoughts?

Based on GotG coming maybe it means nothing. I don't know.

#722 6 years ago

Toy Story 4 was delayed until June 2019. Wild speculated rumors is that a JJP Toy Story pin would be put on hold for that release also. No inside info that I know, just what other threads have speculated. That would make sense (or more dollars).

#723 6 years ago

I hope for the sake of my checking account it isn't Toy Story. 2019 sounds better

#724 6 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Ha!

#725 6 years ago

Is there going to be an awesome promo trailer when revealed?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#726 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Is there going to be an awesome promo trailer when revealed?

I plan on being there, front and center, just like I was for Dialed In. I'll post as much info and as many pictures as possible!

#727 6 years ago

Loving my Dialed In, but I hope JJP learned from the Dialed In expo presentation and this one is handled better.

#728 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

Loving my Dialed In, but I hope JJP learned from the Dialed In expo presentation and this one is handled better.

I think the thing that killed the mood at last year's reveal was the fact the theme had already been leaked here on Pinside. Then once we entered the room we were all handed the Dialed In comic book. So before the cover was taken off the machine, we already had a good idea of what was underneath.

I'm holding out hope that the rumor of game #4 being Pirates of the Caribbean is just a red herring, and that they shock us all with something totally out of nowhere.

#729 6 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I think the thing that killed the mood at last year's reveal was the fact the theme had already been leaked here on Pinside. Then once we entered the room we were all handed the Dialed In comic book. So before the cover was taken off the machine, we already had a good idea of what was underneath.
I'm holding out hope that the rumor of game #4 being Pirates of the Caribbean is just a red herring, and that they shock us all with something totally out of nowhere.

Judging by their history they will tease POtC and reveal Golden Girls.

Talk about a company ready to break out with an A+ title...BTTF trilogy might be the best selling game of the last ten years, if released

#730 6 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I wasn't there. I was referring to the terrible video cast of the whole thing. Barely watchable amateur hour.

#731 6 years ago

Bea Arthur call outs? Where can I pre order? This will be the best back glass ever.

IMG_3393 (resized).PNGIMG_3393 (resized).PNG

#732 6 years ago

Thank you for being a friend. Maybe Jersey Jack can come out at Expo singing it, I know I'd sing along.

#733 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Bea Arthur call outs? Where can I pre order? This will be the best back glass ever.

Hmmmh, I might have to spring for radcals on this one, definitely want high rez.

#734 6 years ago

JAWS Widebody please...
Just pay the license. Just pay the royalties to families and living.
Richard Dreyfuss still alive, pay him for all callouts.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#735 6 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

There are two key words here that reveal the theme. "Fast" and "sweet". If you recall the Delorean in BTTF needs to travel at the relatively "fast" speed of 88mph to activate the the flux capacitor. Secondly, in the first film you will recall that Mr. Sandman is playing when Marty enters the town in 1955. The very lines "Mr. Sandman bring me a treat" can be heard, this corresponds to candy and treats in general being "sweet". Ah ha!

In conclusion the next JJP title must be Back to the Future! Lol

#736 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There are two key words here that reveal the theme. "Fast" and "sweet". If you recall the Delorean in BTTF needs to travel at the relatively "fast" speed of 88mph to activate the the flux capacitor. Secondly, in the first film you will recall that Mr. Sandman is playing when Marty enters the town in 1955. The very lines "Mr. Sandman bring me a treat" can be heard, this corresponds to candy and treats in general being "sweet". Ah ha!
In conclusion the next JJP title must be Back to the Future! Lol

Haha, the only flaw in your logic there is the lyric is actually "Mr. Sandman bring me a Dream" Good try though!

#738 6 years ago

What playfield toys will be included on this new golden girls theme? Will one of the modes be "hot flashes?"

Hopefully some "pin up" type animation will be included as well!

#739 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

What playfield toys will be included on this new golden girls theme?

Should include a Blanche bash toy.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#740 6 years ago

As awesome as JJP is, Toy Story would make it really easy for me to decide to buy SW and AFMr instead. Of course I was really negative about Dialed In due to theme and I own an LE and love it now (Lawlor is my favorite designer). The theme is still sub-par, however. I won't buy two stupid themes in a row, JJP. If this is Toy Story, I'll wait for #5. If the theme is Toy Story and the game play is like The Hobbit, this will be a major negative hit to JJP. I hope that isn't the case as I believe JJP to be the greatest pinball machine maker of all time.

#741 6 years ago

DI theme and game are awesome...I applaud JJP for taking a risk on a "non licensed" theme....its about time there's some creativity in this market. Game play on TH is also Epic....I would love Toy Story...I am sure whatever they put out will be built and designed well.

#742 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Should include a Blanche bash toy.

Let's be honest. Who here wouldn't want to bash Blanche?

#743 6 years ago

The real question is who didn't bash Blanche.

#744 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

As awesome as JJP is, Toy Story would make it really easy for me to decide to buy SW and AFMr instead. Of course I was really negative about Dialed In due to theme and I own an LE and love it now (Lawlor is my favorite designer). The theme is still sub-par, however. I won't buy two stupid themes in a row, JJP. If this is Toy Story, I'll wait for #5. If the theme is Toy Story and the game play is like The Hobbit, this will be a major negative hit to JJP. I hope that isn't the case as I believe JJP to be the greatest pinball machine maker of all time.

I highly doubt the machine will be anything like their previous 3. All of them have been extremely dissimilar thus far. I don't think it's in their m.o. to recycle stuff.

That plus it's a new designer.

#745 6 years ago

shocked some think Toy Story would be a bad theme/pin. I could see that being a HUGE success. But then again, I read people praising Hobbit, and I couldn't sell mine fast enough. (and I love my Woz, not a JJP basher, anything but)

#746 6 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Let's be honest. Who here wouldn't want to bash Blanche?

*slowly raises hand*

#747 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

shocked some think Toy Story would be a bad theme/pin. I could see that being a HUGE success. But then again, I read people praising Hobbit, and I couldn't sell mine fast enough. (and I love my Woz, not a JJP basher, anything but)

Yeah I agree. Was talking to my GF about this and how it's a possibility. She asked "Can we get one?" That's the first time she showed any interest in a pin purchase. Ever. It's a theme that hits from many angles.

#748 6 years ago

My wife has also mentioned toy story as one she would want. Potc is another, but more toy story. I'm looking for one more game, and we both were very disappointed with SW, our dream theme. Toy story would probably be a must for us.

#749 6 years ago

My wife and child want Harry potter, so do I.
Wait for it....here cones Vids picture of JK hating pinball and bad hair.

#750 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

My wife and child want Harry potter, so do I.
Wait for it....here cones Vids picture of JK hating pinball and bad hair.

That's my golden ticket pre-approval with the family too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4/page/15?hl=micky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.