FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 76.
#601 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Theme integration with WOZ and Hobbit are both excellent - so TH distant? No. Truly hard to say which is better. A+ and A++ (you pick).
As for DI - I finally played it this week and I will say it shoots very very smooth. Makes WOZ and TH feel clunky in comparison. And I like WOZ and TH...
DI is a very interesting pin to play - and the more I played the more I liked. Going in I had NO interest in getting DI. Now I have a 'maybe'?

Having played DI extensively now, it's a great game, way better than Hobbit, but still not as good as WoZ. It needs some mid-tier modes to break up the wood-chopping disaster collection. Something like Melt the Witch to mark a halfway point. Having to do a bunch of disasters in one go every time with nothing to break it up is too monotonous. Plus they need another "earned" Multiball instead of the main one and the random quick ones. Given that some of the modes don't have animated characters (just motionless ones on the phone), it's pretty clear this isn't quite done. Needs a little more attention to be an all-time great. Pretty confident JJP will refine it a bit more.

#602 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

This, plus it has always seemed like a generic cookie-cutter Hollywood franchise. There's nothing original, endearing or inspiring about it IMO.

I'd flip that around. Theme and certainly theme integration:
1) WOZ
2) DI
3) Hobbit a distant last

You sir, are talking bollocks

#603 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Having played DI extensively now, it's a great game, way better than Hobbit, but still not as good as WoZ. It needs some mid-tier modes to break up the wood-chopping disaster collection. Something like Melt the Witch to mark a halfway point. Having to do a bunch of disasters in one go every time with nothing to break it up is too monotonous. Plus they need another "earned" Multiball instead of the main one and the random quick ones. Given that some of the modes don't have animated characters (just motionless ones on the phone), it's pretty clear this isn't quite done. Needs a little more attention to be an all-time great. Pretty confident JJP will refine it a bit more.

There is the Armageddon mini-wizard mode. You have to get through all the modes. Not necessarily beat them. The main wizard mode is showdown, which I'll likely never get to. It's just too hard to collect those sim cards for me.

#604 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

There is the Armageddon mini-wizard mode. You have to get through all the modes. Not necessarily beat them. The main wizard mode is showdown, which I'll likely never get to. It's just too hard to collect those sim cards for me.

Right, but the point is you have to drive a LONG stretch of modes to get to A wizard mode, whether the booby prize or the main event. There should be a mode at the halfway point (or thereabouts) to break up the monotony.

#605 6 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

I don't get the hatred for Hobbit. Its a very fun pin IMO. Oz is a more difficult pin for sure... and if you don't like the movie, I can't help you there. Such an American classic!

How can anyone complain about hobbit as a theme and then defend woz or di lol?

Guinnestime had it right:
1) Hobbit
2) DI
3) Anything else they could come up with
1003) WOZ

Actually woz isnt a bad game, just clunky with a not good theme and sounds.

#606 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Maybe they aren't nerdy little dweebs? Oh sorry...you all probably prefer halfings?
Or maybe because the hobbit movies where pure shit? But even so, the theme itself isn't as bad as the movies, and there's a lot to pull from.

#607 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Or maybe because the hobbit movies where pure shit?

This made me laugh and nod in agreement.

#608 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Right, but the point is you have to drive a LONG stretch of modes to get to A wizard mode, whether the booby prize or the main event. There should be a mode at the halfway point (or thereabouts) to break up the monotony.

Yeah, it is a long stretch. Who knows. They may add one in. JJP has a great track record of improving software.

#609 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

yeah they need a bunch more wizard modes so everyone can get to one and feel good aboot themselves.

#610 6 years ago

You do get a "participation bonus" if you get no other bonuses. I found that pretty funny.

#611 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Guinnestime had it right:
1) Hobbit
2) DI
3) Anything else they could come up with
1003) WOZ
Actually woz isnt a bad game, just clunky with a not good theme and sounds.

Hobbit is just not fun. Too much same-yness and the popups get very annoying. And even with the difficulty turned up, there's too much multiball.

#612 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Yeah, it is a long stretch. Who knows. They may add one in. JJP has a great track record of improving software.

I'm reasonably confident there will be some game tweaks in addition to finishing the animations for some of the phone characters that don't move like the rest currently. If JJP will keep iterating madly to try to save Hobbit from suck, I'm pretty sure they'll spend some time polishing up Dialed In to make it even better.

#613 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

What is this, because all i can find is a movie from the 80's.....am i not looking at the right thing??

Correct. You are looking at one of the greatest and most beloved movies of all time. Rob Reiner created an all-time classic.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

So 20 years old is modern?

To me, "modern" in pinball is DMD on. Regardless, "modern" could be removed and the point remains.

And on that point, when will we finally get a modern Superman pin?

#614 6 years ago

What about Legos? Everybody likes Legos, right?

#615 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

And on that point, when will we finally get a modern Superman pin?

Once someone makes a successful Superman movie. Superman II was the end of Superman's manhood.

#616 6 years ago

Still waiting for a road warrior pin.

#617 6 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

What about Legos? Everybody likes Legos, right?

Most do. I thought the logo movie was almost unwatchable. I only finished because I was on a plane.

#618 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Most do. I thought the logo movie was almost unwatchable. I only finished because I was on a plane.

I didn't mind the movie, but I'd be down for a Lego pin. Build your own playfield with Legos would be a GAME CHANGER.

#619 6 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I didn't mind the movie, but I'd be down for a Lego pin. Build your own playfield with Legos would be a GAME CHANGER.

Especially when you smash the playfield to pieces on your first ball...

#620 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe they aren't nerdy little dweebs? Oh sorry...you all probably prefer halfings?
Or maybe because the hobbit movies where pure shit? But even so, the theme itself isn't as bad as the movies, and there's a lot to pull from.

I wouldnt say "pure shit", but ok at best movies for sure - the book is great of course, so I suppose I enjoy the theme more because of that.

#621 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Hobbit is just not fun. Too much same-yness and the popups get very annoying. And even with the difficulty turned up, there's too much multiball.

I love the game, tonnes of fun but we all like different styles of games for sure. The Beasts are supposed to be irritating at times, and get in your way, usually there is a way to cancel them or lower them for a short time so you can make the shot you want. But I like games that piss me off a little, makes me want to play more and beat it

#622 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No in the fact that Rocky doesn;t win at the end, but kind of yes as Rocky kind of sexually assaults Adrain in his apartment in the first one. I mean seriously...whom has seen it lately? Rocky has like 10 knives laying around his place and sticking in the wall...it's a pretty scary place.

He was also an enforcer for the mafia and told Mickey to go fuck himself. Classless...

#623 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Ok.....Then I was wrong about Rocky

No, just do a Rocky 3 pin and problem solved. Mr. T and Hulk Hogan with Rocky works great.

#624 6 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

That sounds awful.

#625 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

That sounds awful.

edit: ah if there was a pun in there I just got it

#626 6 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

No, just do a Rocky 3 pin and problem solved. Mr. T and Hulk Hogan with Rocky works great.

That would be great, my first JJP for sure. Thunder lips the ultimate male vs the ultimate meatball

1 week later
#627 6 years ago

I just read Ernest Cline's "Ready Player ONE" and it's such a great read I wanted to pass it on. Try a sample on Kindle. 'Would make a great pin as well. The movie comes out March '18.

#628 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well many others would say the opposite. Personally I think TH is one of the best mode based games ever created.

I don't understand the "same-yness" comments as all of its mode are unique in their own way and require the player to work the playfield in interesting ways.

All pinball machines become repetitive as layouts and features never change. However, deep and unique code helps add longevity to modern pins and thankfully TH has one of the deepest rulesets, with unique rules for each mode, in pinball. Plus JJP isn't done with it

#629 6 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I just read Ernest Cline's "Ready Player ONE" and it's such a great read I wanted to pass it on. Try a sample on Kindle. 'Would make a great pin as well. The movie comes out March '18.

I second ready player one! Been waiting what feels like years for the movie! Directed by speilburg should be great.

#630 6 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Do yourself a favor and skip Armada, his second book.

#631 6 years ago

Thanks! It was going to be my next book but not now.

#632 6 years ago

Someday she will pass on. Her heirs may feel differently about profits. There is still hope

#633 6 years ago

I have seen a pattern with all three JJP pins.

WoZ - People were really hating the theme. Never some would say. Now it is on the hater's short list or already in their basement

TH - People were excited about the theme until they saw the prototype. JJP listened and changed it up. Good feedback initially, but even better feedback as of late now that the software is maturing.

DI - People freaked out about the theme and artwork. Now there are a bunch of people that are looking beyond the name of the machine and really starting to love it. Once the code matures, my guess is they will like it better.

My point is this. Whether it is POTC, Toy Story, or even HP, I think their machines are awesome and everyone will love it over time. I personally own a WoZ and can't get enough of that machine. I love you JJP is committed to code updates. Something Stern is still trying to figure out. Plus the build quality on JJP is second to none. Better than the Williams machines back in the 90's.

Excited to see their next pin!

#634 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I have it sitting on my desk but can't bring myself to start it with all the bad reviews.

#635 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I have it sitting on my desk but can't bring myself to start it with all the bad reviews.

I think the thing about RPO that people loved was all the nostalgia callbacks. Imagine that book without all the 80s references, just story only. Would you like that? If so, go for it.

#636 6 years ago
Quoted from AbeVigoda:

I think the thing about RPO that people loved was all the nostalgia callbacks. Imagine that book without all the 80s references, just story only. Would you like that? If so, go for it.

Totally agree. The story is kinda "been-there-done-that," especially if you have seen The Matrix, Terminator, Or read Ender's Game.. anyway. But to put it together (it made me think of the Lego Dimensions game, if anybody's played that) was pretty novel

#637 6 years ago
Quoted from AbeVigoda:

But isn't it a ripoff of Last Starfighter? That's the most concerning part. RPO was a great book, LS is a classic. Merging them into a bad knockoff is not something I'm looking forward to, which is why the book is still sitting here unread.

#638 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I actually enjoyed Armada. Not as good as ready player one, but still a good read.

#639 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It starts great but gets really stupid really fast.

#640 6 years ago

God, I hate RPO, it's like an utterly unironic and uncritical version of American Psycho. The endless lists of media with entry-level wikipedia descriptions, the boilerplate story, the shabby twists, the crummy dialogue, the flat characters. It's Twilight for guys who still think Monty Python is obscure.

#641 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

God, I hate RPO, it's like an utterly unironic and uncritical version of American Psycho. The endless lists of media with entry-level wikipedia descriptions, the boilerplate story, the shabby twists, the crummy dialogue, the flat characters. It's Twilight for guys who still think Monty Python is obscure.

I guess you'll love the idea that the movie looks like a trainwreck.

#642 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Exactly my impression. The laundry lists of 80s trivia became quite tiresome.

#643 6 years ago

12,947 people gave it an average of 4.5/5 stars. It is currently #7 on NYT bestsellers. So it's a worthy read for most of us. But not all will like it - I can't stand Nicholas Sparks no matter how much my wife likes his books.

#644 6 years ago

2627876_1334981738392.09res_500_400 (resized).jpg2627876_1334981738392.09res_500_400 (resized).jpg

#645 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But isn't it a ripoff of Last Starfighter? That's the most concerning part. RPO was a great book, LS is a classic. Merging them into a bad knockoff is not something I'm looking forward to, which is why the book is still sitting here unread.

When I read it, it reminded me so much of Tron...

#646 6 years ago

Ready Player One is probably my favorite novel of all time; I've read it three times. The only books I've read more are The Hobbit and The BFG. This comes from a guy that has read a ton of books, mostly sci-fi or fantasy, over the past 25 years. That said, I don't think it'd make a good pinball theme. It is not focused enough for that.

#647 6 years ago

Focus guys, JJP #4 remember?

#648 6 years ago

My guess is that with all the recent JJP twitter activity centering around Slash and GnR combined with the fact that Jack said Pat Lawlor is working on a licensed theme , my bet is that the next game is Guns 'N Roses.

#649 6 years ago

Next two JJP games will be licensed games I believe but I still think GnR is not one of them.

#650 6 years ago
Quoted from mattnb:

My guess is that with all the recent JJP twitter activity centering around Slash and GnR combined with the fact that Jack said Pat Lawlor is working on a licensed theme for the next game, my bet is that the next game is a new Guns 'N Roses game.

I'll take that bet. I say it will not be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,753 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.