Topic Stats

• 3,753 posts
  • 528 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Zampinator
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 260 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181026_122121778 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_131620186 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_133524638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_101424526 (resized).jpg
IMG_0665 (resized).JPG
20180407_181132 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180413-205239 (resized).png
20180327_165820 (resized).jpg
20180412_183405 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 76.
#551 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

And it's really the same story as Star Wars - young innocent person, up against and contrained against the norms of society, breaks free, learns some important things from a talented master, feels it's her/his destiny, fights for it, faces a lot of opposition, stumbles once or twice, but in the end triumphs.

Actually kind of close...just swap the incest for statutory rape and you're golden! Oh and abortions

#552 2 years ago

every good story needs a few contradictions - it could be worked into one of those hard decisions you have to make while playing the pinball game - kind of like in Diner - do I go for multiball or the cup shot. Wait a minute - are you saying Baby was underage !!!

#553 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Not that long ago - Whoa Nellie.

I knew someone would say that. That's not a major manufacturer that originally made it. Now stern is remakeing it so that's a little different. You could say afmr is an original theme but it's still a remake. So took about 16 years for some one to come up with their own theme and have it produced in large quantities

#554 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I was thinking "Time of my Life" could be something like the wizard mode so you probably wouldn't hear it so often. But the film is packed with mode-worthy scenes and great potential call outs call outs. And it's really the same story as Star Wars - young innocent person, up against and contrained against the norms of society, breaks free, learns some important things from a talented master, feels it's her/his destiny, fights for it, faces a lot of opposition, stumbles once or twice, but in the end triumphs.

And silly me thought you were only kidding suggesting a Dirty Dancing pin.

#555 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I was thinking "Time of my Life" could be something like the wizard mode so you probably wouldn't hear it so often. But the film is packed with mode-worthy scenes and great potential call outs call outs. And it's really the same story as Star Wars - young innocent person, up against and contrained against the norms of society, breaks free, learns some important things from a talented master, feels it's her/his destiny, fights for it, faces a lot of opposition, stumbles once or twice, but in the end triumphs.

Except with Star Wars, there are three movies they are pulling content from. With Dirty Dancing, any video content would get so very repetitive so fast. It's a good movie, but there is only so much that actually happens in the movie and only so many snippets of video that would make sense to use.

#556 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Not that long ago - Whoa Nellie.

That's basically the estranged uncle that no one likes to talk about at Thanksgiving.

#557 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Wait a minute - are you saying Baby was underage !!!

Not in Germany

#558 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Just when I think Stern or JJP have come up a bad or so-so theme, individual Pinsiders manage to suggest themes that are even worse.

No doubt.

I do wonder how JJP comes to theme selection. Do they do focus groups? Where do they find those that participate?

The two strongest rumors of licenses secured by JJP are POTC and Toy Story. Neither are good licenses for pinball at this moment. Neither are old enough to tickle the nostalgia bug in people.

POTC was a good theme for Stern at the peak of popularity of the original trilogy. That time has passed. The movies are deteriorating.

Toy Story is a perfectly fine movie series but it is not nostalgic for people who actually buy machines yet (late 90's movie, the people who went to see it with their parents at the theater are in their late 20's or early 30's...not many of those people buying machines). Also, there is no escaping the fact that Toy Story targets kids. It will not be put in man caves where guys host their friends over for poker night or just to shoot the shit.

Assuming JJP is doing these two pins next, how did they decide on them? Who helps consult with them on themes?

#559 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Also, there is no escaping the fact that Toy Story targets kids. It will not be put in man caves where guys host their friends over for poker night or just to shoot the shit.

Same thing they said when Woz came out

#560 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Same thing they said when Woz came out

Totally different situation. JJP was starting a company with full community support saying we wanted something better than we were getting from Stern (see the LOTR LE saga). He wanted 1,000 preorders with deposits before moving forward (as proof of concept) and he got them, because we wanted something better. Years of cheapening games from Stern and pent up demand for a full featured super game drove WOZ...then he knocked it out of the park.

WOZ is nostalgic for everyone, in some way or another, pretty much. It is deep entrenched in Americana. There are museums with WOZ stuff in it. Tons of chicks dress up as either a girl next door (or sometimes the opposite) Dorothy for Halloween or costume events. Almost every fantasy based tv show parodies WOZ closely still (Happily Ever After, Supernatureal, Doctor Who, ETC).

Even still, the WOZ theme cost sales for JJP (in sure it generated some sales on theme as well, of course, there are WOZ collectors). Lots of people didn't jump onboard due to theme. It'll be worse with Toy Story. No chance of JJP getting 1,000 pre orders at a $1,000 deposit each on Toy Story today, he got this for WOZ.

Just think how bannanas everyone would go if JJP did Guardians of the Galaxy or something that truely is a hot licensed theme right now.

#561 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Totally different situation. JJP was starting a company with full community support saying we wanted something better.

Agree to "kind of" disagree. The pre-order thing sure...but I sit back and think is it really that diff'rent now? Are people not ready to shell out more cash for a full featured super game (I mean we've all heard the growling aboot SW "featureless" machine ). Toy Story is 95, same time as Pulp Fiction which I hear people constantly talking aboot here so i wouldn't say the buying age isn't that far off...I understand you'd think of it as a kid's movie now, but the whole point was it appealed to everyone and the the technology was a big ass deal. I mean I'm just spitballing here...I never hated the idea of WOZ but holy hell you remember what it was like when the theme came out...I 've never heard so much hate!

Obviously I'm not arguing they could do better with a fresher more grown up theme like Guardians. Jesus I hardly know they were making that POTC crap still...talk aboot a stale title.

#562 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Toy Story is 95, same time as Pulp Fiction which I hear people constantly talking aboot here so i wouldn't say the buying age isn't that far off..

I generally don't disagree with anything you are saying but let me address the above and draw a distinction.

Nostalgia is built on movies based on where you were at in your life when you first saw the movie and who you saw it with.

Pulp Fiction can it the nostalgia bug quicker than Toy Story can because people were going out on dates and what not to see the edgy Pulp Fiction movie and it's juicy dialog. They were already late teens (17 or older) going to see that movie.

The people who will feel nostalgic about Toy Story will be those that went to theaters with their parents when they were 10 years old and were amazing by the tech. Those then 10 year olds are now 32. There are 32 year olds in the hobby but not many buying NIB games.

#563 2 years ago

On Toy Story, I agree with TheLaw. I was not a super fan when the movie came out. My kids loved it and are in their late 20s. My wife also loved the movies. It's a golden ticket family approval for me already ... if JJP keeps up their innovative ideas with it, quality, and depth of modes. Harry Potter would be the same situation - my 26 year old daughter would buy that if I don't. She's already declaring inheritance dibs on it just on the wild speculation wish list theme.

#564 2 years ago

Just throwing this out there. Who would like a Call of Duty style pin or Some kind of army themed pinball?

Thoughts?

#565 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Just throwing this out there. Who would like a Call of Duty style pin or Some kind of army themed pinball?
Thoughts?

Doubtful for JJP since they're shooting for the family market with the widest possible demos. Guns and bombs wouldn't make the cut.

#566 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I generally don't disagree with anything you are saying but let me address the above and draw a distinction.
Nostalgia is built on movies based on where you were at in your life when you first saw the movie and who you saw it with.
Pulp Fiction can it the nostalgia bug quicker than Toy Story can because were going out on dates to see the edgy Pulp Fiction movie and it's juicy dialog. They were already late teens (17 or older) going to see that movie.
The people who will feel nostalgic about Toy Story will be those that went to theaters with their parents when they were 10 years old and were amazing by the tech. Those then 10 year olds are now 32. There are 32 year olds in the hobby but not many buying NIB games.

I agree. I'm 27 and would love a toy story theme. Wow, I said it now I feel like a child

#567 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Thoughts?

I might have mentioned earlier in the thread already, but a World War II based pin would have a lot of appeal for me. I'd want it along the lines of Axis & Allies, a pure military strategy style game and not one addressing the non-combatant atrocities.

A game based on the American Civil War using this approach would also be cool.

#568 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Thoughts?

100 percent. I've always thought a pin based off of the board game risk. Maybe not a license theme but a theme where you build an army and try and take over the world. you could chose your starting country and fight in battles and make allies. But make it adult based with good sound fx

#569 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

And it's really the same story as Star Wars

Well, I guess you can hear about anything on Pinside I guess. Dirty Dancing is basically Star Wars - with dancing. Just so I get this right - So Patrick Swayze (Johnny Castle) is Luke Skywalker; and Baby is the force? Who is Darth Vader? Jerry Orbach (Jake Houseman)? Or is Jake the dark side - or the Death Star. I am confused now...

Aren't like 90% of movies:

1. Good person that is down
2. Finds strength to fight wrong or evil in impossible conditions
3. Gets knocked down
4. Gets back up and wins in the end.

Perhaps Dirty Dancing is more like Rocky / Lion King (well all Disney Movies?) / Matrix / Harry Potter

#570 2 years ago

Mario Theme would be great. But we all know the best theme would be Harry Potter. People of all ages can relate to this title. Lots of things can be done with these great themes. Now will the manufactures take advantage of all the available content? The manufactures need to put more in there games. JJP has done a great job with DI. But imagine if we all liked the theme. I want to love the game but the word CRAZY is not the best for replay entertainment value. Great game however "here is your new phone" Really? I have a Star Wars LE on order great license but where are all of the bells and whistles? Lets listen to what the people want and then charge them 9k on something that will keep a smile on there face. Just an idea.

#571 2 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I agree. I'm 27 and would love a toy story theme. Wow, I said it now I feel like a child

31. Feel the same way. Minus I don't feel like a child, Toy Story is just cool!

#572 2 years ago

Toy Story is a great movie. Would make a fantastic pin. Lots of stuff to work with.

#573 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It will not be put in man caves where guys host their friends over for poker night or just to shoot the shit

It would in mine just for the very trollish nature of seeing the look on my pals faces when I tell them I just smoked 10 grand on this goofy toy story pin...

Plus the kids will love it..

#574 2 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

31. Feel the same way. Minus I don't feel like a child, Toy Story is just cool!

I was in highschool when Toy Story came out, and it was amazing. I was in university studying computer science when Toy Story 2 came out. Pixar was huge with the CS geeks. Everyone was watching their shorts, studying the techniques, reading siggraph papers to learn more about a fun and rapidly changing field. For us it was not a children's movie, college kids filled the theatre. For my generation Toy Story was something nestalgic from day 1, it was a story of the toys of our youth, and changes with technology. It was also about creating a world, and that is what many successful themes do, create a world under the glass.

#575 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

The last time Nintendo licensed out Zelda, it didn't go so well...

Shhhhh! Don't tell that to my avatar!

#576 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Pulp Fiction can it the nostalgia bug quicker than Toy Story can because people were going out on dates and what not to see the edgy Pulp Fiction movie and it's juicy dialog. They were already late teens (17 or older) going to see that movie.

I'm 37 and enjoyed Toy Story when it was released and in awe of the technology used, but it's not a theme that is an insta buy. WoZ is currently the exception to the rule in my collection. I bought it for the gameplay and features and see it as a cinema classic, so it slipped in....if I will fill my cinema/games room with the merchandise, chances are I will want the pinball.

Back to the Future is a great example. Love the movie, still buy Back to the Future related items and hope to one day own a new Back to the Future pin or find the Data East version as a last resort.

I'd be more excited over a Wreck It Ralph pinball as opposed to Toy Story. I loved that movie with the video game theme and some cameos from old favourite video game characters.

#577 2 years ago

I'd be down for a Toy Story pin. I remember seeing the first one as a little kid. Now at 25, I would consider buying one and putting it on route.

#578 2 years ago

Toy Story would be awesome!

85c3eab103036c16fb391099b2ce3b4f8830c71c441029e52ddbc705de6000fd (resized).jpg

#579 2 years ago

Well, maybe I'm just out of touch and Toy Story is a theme that would sell. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...I know I would not be buying a Toy Story machine.

#580 2 years ago

Let's embrace a pin that is fun and plays into a cartoon themed adventure. Great characters lots of throwbacks and quick witted references. It would be a good change to take a pause from the heavy metal devil themed stuff. Or Dialed in's theme yippy! How about a pin about nothing. Like George Castanza in Sienfields pitch it will be a pinball machine about nothing. How is that for a licenses. JJP you think you could swing that big expense on your next title.

#581 2 years ago

I can see it now, limited LE toy story $15,500, standard $11,500,ultra Le $17,995

#582 2 years ago

You left out 30days later
Super Ultra Ultra LE

#583 2 years ago

007? Beatles? POTC? Toy Story? Muppets?

- No. No. No. No. Fuck no. What the hell? Are you guys seriously interested in these themes or just trollin'?

Harry Potter?

- Sure, sounds cool.

Princess Bride?

- Hell yeah! .... Stern? NOOOO!

Also, WOZ is a masterpiece and the darkness of the story, color of the visuals, legends surrounding the film, adventure aspect, entertaining villain, female driven cast and satisfying resolution should leave us all wondering why it wasn't done before. The movie and pin are timeless classics for multiple reasons.

I actually like Bond and initially thought it would make a great pin but then you start thinking about the multi-actor problems and repetitive nature of the scripts and you run into a hot mess of a game. Also, there was already a modern Goldeneye pin, right?

#584 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

007? Beatles? POTC? Toy Story? Muppets?
- No. No. No. No. Fuck no. What the hell? Are you guys seriously interested in these themes or just trollin'?
Harry Potter?
- Sure, sounds cool.
Princess Bride?
- Hell yeah! .... Stern? NOOOO!
Also, WOZ is a masterpiece and the darkness of the story, color of the visuals, legends surrounding the film, adventure aspect, entertaining villain, female driven cast and satisfying resolution should leave us all wondering why it wasn't done before. The movie and pin are timeless classics for multiple reasons.
I actually like Bond and initially thought it would make a great pin but then you start thinking about the multi-actor problems and repetitive nature of the scripts and you run into a hot mess of a game. Also, there was already a modern Goldeneye pin, right?

If they could do a game as feature packed as WOZ, but for Harry Potter that would be incredible.

#585 2 years ago

Harold and Kumar.

#586 2 years ago

...go to White Castle ? Can we just skip the "Harold and Kumar" and just do White Castle ? Kind of like Diner II. Diner is my favorite game. In a few weeks I'll be in Cincinnati and I'm looking forward to those sliders !

Quoted from branlon8:

Any chance we can skip 4-33 and go directly to 34 ?

So here's the current plan:
We skip 4-32 now and go straight to 33

#33 Diner II - White Castle
#34 Dirty Dancing - the Pin

I'm getting excited here - I want to preorder now

#587 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Princess Bride?

What is this, because all i can find is a movie from the 80's.....am i not looking at the right thing??

#588 2 years ago

I still maintain Bill & Ted's would be an awesome franchise, time travel escapades and pinball go hand in hand - and with a third movie supposedly in the offing... come on JJP, be excellent to us!!

#589 2 years ago

I still want the warriors. Classic movie classic Xbox game. Different gangs different turfs.. can u dig it ?

#590 2 years ago

I'd rather have Toy Story than WOZ as a theme a thousand times more.

If I'm flipping channels and a Toy Story movie is on, I might watch. If WOZ is was on, I'd never watch.

JJP Theme Ranks so far:

1) Hobbit
2) DI
3) Anything else they could come up with
1003) WOZ

Gameplay wise, DI blows both out of the water.

#591 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Also, there was already a modern Goldeneye pin, right?

So 20 years old is modern?

#592 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I still maintain Bill & Ted's would be an awesome franchise, time travel escapades and pinball go hand in hand - and with a third movie supposedly in the offing... come on JJP, be excellent to us!!

Station!

#593 2 years ago

Station!!

#594 2 years ago

Staaaaation.

Theres a movie if I come across channel surfing I'll watch every time. Also a rare case where the sequal was better than the original (imho). So many great quotes in both though.

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Rehashing a previously used theme doesn't bother me at all. Would any one be opposed to a JJP South Park because of 18 year old Sega/Stern one? Heck no.
My issue is the POTC theme in general. The IP is played out (the last movie was the worst of the series) and there just aren't a lot of people into pirates these days. The IP does not excite me in general.

This, plus it has always seemed like a generic cookie-cutter Hollywood franchise. There's nothing original, endearing or inspiring about it IMO.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'd rather have Toy Story than WOZ as a theme a thousand times more.
If I'm flipping channels and a Toy Story movie is on, I might watch. If WOZ is was on, I'd never watch.
JJP Theme Ranks so far:
1) Hobbit
2) DI
3) Anything else they could come up with
1003) WOZ

I'd flip that around. Theme and certainly theme integration:

1) WOZ
2) DI
3) Hobbit a distant last

#596 2 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

What is this, because all i can find is a movie from the 80's.....am i not looking at the right thing??

You're looking at the right thing unfortunately. I don't get it. It was a terrible movie then and it's even worse now. It's total nerd niche. It would be a worse theme than Elvis and that's saying something!

#597 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Perhaps Dirty Dancing is more like Rocky / Lion King (well all Disney Movies?) / Matrix / Harry Potter

No in the fact that Rocky doesn;t win at the end, but kind of yes as Rocky kind of sexually assaults Adrain in his apartment in the first one. I mean seriously...whom has seen it lately? Rocky has like 10 knives laying around his place and sticking in the wall...it's a pretty scary place.

#598 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

This, plus it has always seemed like a generic cookie-cutter Hollywood franchise. There's nothing original, endearing or inspiring about it IMO.

1) WOZ
2) DI
3) Hobbit a distant last

I don't get the hatred for Hobbit. Its a very fun pin IMO. Oz is a more difficult pin for sure... and if you don't like the movie, I can't help you there. Such an American classic!

#599 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No in the fact that Rocky doesn;t win at the end, but kind of yes as Rocky kind of sexually assaults Adrain in his apartment in the first one. I mean seriously...whom has seen it lately? Rocky has like 10 knives laying around his place and sticking in the wall...it's a pretty scary place.

Ok.....Then I was wrong about Rocky

#600 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

1) WOZ
2) DI
3) Hobbit a distant last

Theme integration with WOZ and Hobbit are both excellent - so TH distant? No. Truly hard to say which is better. A+ and A++ (you pick).

As for DI - I finally played it this week and I will say it shoots very very smooth. Makes WOZ and TH feel clunky in comparison. And I like WOZ and TH...

DI is a very interesting pin to play - and the more I played the more I liked. Going in I had NO interest in getting DI. Now I have a 'maybe'?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Redmond, WA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 76.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside