Topic Stats

• 3,753 posts
  • 528 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Zampinator
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 260 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181026_122121778 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_131620186 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_133524638 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181026_101424526 (resized).jpg
IMG_0665 (resized).JPG
20180407_181132 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180413-205239 (resized).png
20180327_165820 (resized).jpg
20180412_183405 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523454326477 (resized).jpg
4FB58935-3522-48D4-8FC7-AF4E0D95DDF9 (resized).jpeg
EC528ED2-7D5D-4313-99C3-E6BA8212EE0E (resized).jpeg
D53C0802-DB86-4A57-BCEF-A477323E2FD4 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
vader-wtf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 76.
#501 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

sorry but why does everyone think it's POTC again? God I REALLY hope it isn't.

I think it's POTC after a conversation with a JPP tech. He wouldn't tell me what it was but I expressed my disdain for POTC and Johnny Depp and he said "Oh." Pry reading too much into it, but my gut tells me that's what it is.

#502 2 years ago

I'm telling you guys, it's 100% POTC. Like it or not. Also, I know 100% it's not Toy Story. So everyone needs to drop that theme. Copy and paste what I am saying to a word doc and wait for the Expo reveal. Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.” ... That's not the case here.

#503 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

sorry but why does everyone think it's POTC again? God I REALLY hope it isn't.

Just a rumor. My personal opinion/guess is it was a planned/placed rumor of some type by JJP to keep us fanatics off the scent of the real theme. I hope so anyway, we will learn at Expo one way or the other.

#504 2 years ago

POTC? Why would they do a game about Richie Cunningham's friend, a supporting character at best?

#505 2 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

POTC? Why would they do a game about Richie Cunningham's friend, a supporting character at best?

Took me a minute.....

#506 2 years ago

At least if its POTC I don't have to buy a new pin for a while, Im a little bit overwhelmed with all the pins I recently bought. Enough to play for a while! None of the Pirates movies have ever interested me. Johnny Depp.. haha.

#507 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Also, Princess Bride is dead to me now that Stern has it.

Stern has Princess Bride? This saddens me.

Would have loved to see this get the JJP treatment.

#508 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Johnny Depp.. haha.

Part of the rumor is they don't have the right to use him or likeness. If that part of the rumor is true it's a bit of a black eye for the IP as it would severely limit the usable assets.

#509 2 years ago

While I know the major speculation is on POTC (again) I don't get it. I have POTC from Stern and I think it is a solid effort. It is always a favorite during parties. I don't see a need to release another version when there are so many other themes that have not been explored.

My 2¢

#510 2 years ago
Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

While I know the major speculation is on POTC (again) I don't get it. I have POTC from Stern and I think it is a solid effort. It is always a favorite during parties. I don't see a need to release another version when there are so many other themes that have not been explored.
My 2¢

Great opportunity for Jersey Jack Pinball to prove that they can use a theme in a better way than Stern though isn't it? I'm excited..

#511 2 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Great opportunity for Jersey Jack Pinball to prove that they can use a theme in a better way than Stern though isn't it? I'm excited..

Good way to look at it.

#512 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Good way to look at it.

I don't get it. I love my Potc but why make another?? So many themes to choose from and you re-run something? Personally, I think this is silly and not a good choice for JJP. I cant see it selling well myself.

#513 2 years ago

Like Depp or not, he IS the Pirates franchise. If they can't use his movie scenes, this is DOA. Now that both JJP and Stern have the full video screens, you can't fake this stuff like you used to with low quality DMDs. You need the real thing. If they can use his movie scenes but nothing else, no big deal. They need the video content. Play field and plastics -- who cares!? I don't need to see his face on the playfield or plastics or cabinet art. Ships, canons, cursed pirates, etc. will all do fine.

#514 2 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Stern has Princess Bride? This saddens me.
Would have loved to see this get the JJP treatment.

Again...supposedly. But that's a theme I would LOVE to see JJP run with. So many possibilities.

#515 2 years ago

Please for the love of God, no POTC. We don't need another one.

#516 2 years ago

Princess Bride does seem like a natural for JJP. Family Friendly. Presumably lower cost but cult classic. Not sure Stern will do it justice. They are kind of the Bud Light of pinball mfr while JJP is a craft brew. I'd prefer to see a few of these themes craft brewed. Enjoying the competition though. Hope JJP can keep it going. I'd like to see them grow to be even more of a formidable competitor.

#517 2 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Please for the love of God, no POTC. We don't need another one.

Dialed In was a very weird choice leading up to and in the reveal, and that turned out great, so I'm willing to give JJP the benefit of the doubt. But at this point my JJP PoTC hype meter is close to 0.

#518 2 years ago

If they can sell a dud of a theme/name like Dialed In, they can survive POTC if the game kicks ass. However, the comparisons are going to be brutal if it doesn't up the ante on the toys and Sterns POTC was pretty good in the toy department.

#519 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Dialed In was a very weird choice leading up to and in the reveal, and that turned out great, so I'm willing to give JJP the benefit of the doubt. But at this point my JJP PoTC hype meter is close to 0.

I don't see JJP getting any of the rights from Disney which we know Stern has recieved in the past. I'd rather see them do another unlicensed game again.

#520 2 years ago

It would take me a minute to think of something worse than POTC

#521 2 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I don't see JJP getting any of the rights from Disney which we know Stern has recieved in the past. I'd rather see them do another unlicensed game again.

Stern has a good track record with Disney, no doubt. I wonder how Disney's IP negotiations work with its subsidiaries like Pixar and Marvel. I always assumed it was Disney doing all the IP negotiating for all its subsidiaries, but Rarehero (who would know better than I on this matter) believes Pixar and Marvel negotiate their own IP deals.

With Stern supposedly having the license for Deadpool, I'm wondering if they got the movie rights (from Fox) or comic book rights (from Marvel, ala the X-Men pin). I would really like JJP to get Deadpool...

#522 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Also, I know 100% it's not Toy Story

The new Toy Story 4 movie release is June 21, 2019 - Write that down somewhere. (JJP#6?)

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The new Toy Story 4 movie release is June 21, 2019 - Write that down somewhere. (JJP#6?)

I was saying JJP4 is not Toy Story. Never said number 6 wouldn't be.

#524 2 years ago

yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me. I'm interested but it's gotta have that song in it.

#525 2 years ago

Poltergeist would be great ,this house is clean, he got bit, there here, cross over children

#526 2 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

I'll give JJP a 100 if that's what they're doing and they pull it off. It takes some big brass balls for going toe-to-toe with POTC, of all Stern's fairly recent games. As someone said previously, Stern's POTC was a pretty solid effort and there are a lot of them out there right now. Lots of playfield interaction and such, the only missing part I can think of would be lack of a color screen. So, if it's JJP's next game, it's a pretty ballsy move, especially given Depp's drop in popularity and flop of the last movie. Better hit this one out of the park though, if that's the case.

#527 2 years ago

Potc will be jjp best pin so far i think. Awesome art, great theme for pinball (not a fan of the movies), tons of great call outs, tons of fantastic toy options. great music.

I hope the lay out will be fun. Than this pin will be so much fun.

#528 2 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I'll give JJP a 100 if that's what they're doing and they pull it off. It takes some big brass balls for going toe-to-toe with POTC, of all Stern's fairly recent games. As someone said previously, Stern's POTC was a pretty solid effort and there are a lot of them out there right now. Lots of playfield interaction and such, the only missing part I can think of would be lack of a color screen. So, if it's JJP's next game, it's a pretty ballsy move, especially given Depp's drop in popularity and flop of the last movie. Better hit this one out of the park though, if that's the case.

It wouldn't be hard to top it since it's a pretty shallow/easy game with one cool toy (the ship with the poorly-designed rocking clutch that's broken on every location machine I've seen). But I'd still rather they did something else.

#529 2 years ago

The real shame is jjp has some really great licenses to choose from. I know there is two major titles that first, was replaced by the hobbit and the second, Pat didn't want to do. Not sure if it's a use or lose it kind of thing, but hopefully they still have them and we will see them in the future.

The biggest disappointment to me was James Bond. Apparently jjp went through the whole thing and got/getting the license, but one of the stipulations was no video assets were allowed to be used. Not sure if that is a problem between movie distributor and ip creator (i don't even know who created bond), but what a awesome theme not being used.

I have faith they will come out with some great themes, and after discounting dialed in so much, I'm sure they will knock whatever they get out of the park.

#530 2 years ago

With all the good themes to chose from and they want to rehash an already done theme? Please noooo. Although it will probably be an awesome game anyway

#531 2 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

With all the good themes to chose from and they want to rehash an already done theme? Please noooo. Although it will probably be an awesome game anyway

I don't get rehashing a POTC theme either but they tried DI so anything is possible.

#532 2 years ago

POTC the movie does nothing for me. If it were based on the ride though that would be different. I can't write that off as easily.

#533 2 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Rehashing a previously used theme doesn't bother me at all. Would any one be opposed to a JJP South Park because of 18 year old Sega/Stern one? Heck no.

My issue is the POTC theme in general. The IP is played out (the last movie was the worst of the series) and there just aren't a lot of people into pirates these days. The IP does not excite me in general.

#534 2 years ago

That leaked email from way back that was correct about DI, mentioned POTC, Muppets and Toy Story so you gotta figure JJP have those licenses.

Toy Story movies have been delayed so guessing the game has.

Can't say I am excited about POTC or Muppets.

#535 2 years ago

Why can't they just make a "Pirates" themed game and not one based of the movies. The sky is the limit on what you could do with a Pirates theme.

#536 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

That leaked email from way back that was correct about DI, mentioned POTC, Muppets and Toy Story so you gotta figure JJP have those licenses.

And that shoots a hole in the "JJP doesn't have a good relationship with Disney" thing. Those are three Disney properties.

#537 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Rehashing a previously used theme doesn't bother me at all. Would any one be opposed to a JJP South Park because of 18 year old Sega/Stern one? Heck no.
My issue is the POTC theme in general. The IP is played out (the last movie was the worst of the series) and there just aren't a lot of people into pirates these days. The IP does not excite me in general.

Ya I agree. If your going to rehash an old theme why not chose a good one. Maybe star wars?

With plenty of new themes to chose from the whole rehash kinda gets old unless the theme is good

#538 2 years ago

put me in for a "Dirty Dancing" Pin, please, thank you.

#539 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

put me in for a "Dirty Dancing" Pin, please, thank you.

That would be an awesome pin for JJP #34

#540 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

That would be an awesome pin for JJP #34

Any chance we can skip 4-33 and go directly to 34 ?

#541 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Any chance we can skip 4-33 and go directly to 34 ?

Uh...I don't know if I could play a pin with "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life" on loop without the overwhelming urge to punch the PF glass in...

#542 2 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Ya I agree. If your going to rehash an old theme why not chose a good one. Maybe star wars?
With plenty of new themes to chose from the whole rehash kinda gets old unless the theme is good

It's no different than Hollywood's trend to make remakes of remakes of past movies. How many more reboots of Spiderman and Batman must we endure?

#543 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

It's no different than Hollywood's trend to make remakes of remakes of past movies. How many more reboots of Spiderman and Batman must we endure?

Very good point. That's why I love DI. New idea, concept, no license bullshit approvals needed. A breath of fresh air.

#544 2 years ago

I like Dirty Dancing as a movie to watch with my wife, but I think I'd vomit after hearing "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life" song and "No one puts Baby in a Corn" line a few times. May as well do "Dancing with the Stars" as a game (and please please DO NOT).

#545 2 years ago

I hope it's POTC with Jon Depp all over it. Then I won't feel the slightest temptation to lighten my wallet of $9k.

#546 2 years ago

Just when I think Stern or JJP have come up a bad or so-so theme, individual Pinsiders manage to suggest themes that are even worse.

#547 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't get rehashing a POTC theme either but they tried DI so anything is possible.

But DI is a breath of fresh air. Something original and new for once. When was the last time a major manufacturer made a non licensed theme? Stern in 2000 with Sharkey's shootout? Finally.

#548 2 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

But DI is a breath of fresh air. Something original and new for once. When was the last time a major manufacturer made a non licensed theme? Stern in 2000 with Sharkey's shootout? Finally.

Not that long ago - Whoa Nellie.

#549 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Not that long ago - Whoa Nellie.

Kind of Debatable because of Whiz Bang

But yes that was a breath of fresh air and fun.

#550 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I like Dirty Dancing as a movie to watch with my wife, but I think I'd vomit after hearing "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life" song and "No one puts Baby in a Corn" line a few times. May as well do "Dancing with the Stars" as a game (and please please DO NOT).

I was thinking "Time of my Life" could be something like the wizard mode so you probably wouldn't hear it so often. But the film is packed with mode-worthy scenes and great potential call outs call outs. And it's really the same story as Star Wars - young innocent person, up against and contrained against the norms of society, breaks free, learns some important things from a talented master, feels it's her/his destiny, fights for it, faces a lot of opposition, stumbles once or twice, but in the end triumphs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 76.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside