(Topic ID: 179608)

JJP #4 Announcement (Speculation)

By Sidekick74

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

51N1GE2PD2L._SY445_ (resized).jpg
    Escape-From-New-York (resized).jpg
    IMG_4556 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3258 (resized).PNG
    so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance (resized).jpg
    8 (resized).JPG
    7 (resized).JPG
    6 (resized).JPG
    5 (resized).JPG
    4 (resized).JPG
    3 (resized).JPG
    2 (resized).JPG
    1 (resized).JPG
    20170324_173133 (resized).jpg
    0077 (resized).jpg
    007 (resized).jpg
    There are 482 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
    #301 6 years ago

It's all good tramd. We all have our own opinions and likes. I would love a toy story, and that's fine. I enjoy most anything Disney. I also enjoy"adult" themes like twd, got, acdc etc.. life's to short to worry about what others think. Hopefully they eventually make several of the themes mentioned and we can all pick our favorites. BTW, I'm really hoping for a new Superman to. Hands down my favorite super hero, and desperately needs a new pin.

#302 6 years ago

I'm kinda worn out on movie clip remix pins, but between PotC, Toy Story, and Harry Potter, HP is definitely the most intriguing license. The movies (and books, but I'm assuming the movies would take precedence) are packed with ideas, and there's an awesome potential for offering the player the feeling of "becoming" a wizard alongside the main cast. If they were to do a Toy Story pin, I'd hope they'd do something in the vein of the space adventure Buzz Lightyear seems to think he's on in the first movie, leading up to defeating Zurg - what was the last space-themed pin?

#304 6 years ago

Ah ha! Yet they lived in the stratosphere, not space.

I guess they sometimes visited space destinations..... still don't think it counts (grumble).

#305 6 years ago

Yes, yes, Harry Potter, of course.
    Or Wonka
    Or Time Bandits.

But on a less obvious list:
    I'd like to see South Park.

The current POS version (IMO) is one of the worst wasted themes in pinball

#306 6 years ago

I'm going out on a limb here and saying Walker Texas Ranger!

#307 6 years ago

I'm curious what style artwork this will have. Hand drawn art has been a big hit for stern lately. Not sure that's the way to go for say potc, but who knows.

#308 6 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I'm kinda worn out on movie clip remix pins, but between PotC, Toy Story, and Harry Potter, HP is definitely the most intriguing license. The movies (and books, but I'm assuming the movies would take precedence) are packed with ideas, and there's an awesome potential for offering the player the feeling of "becoming" a wizard alongside the main cast. If they were to do a Toy Story pin, I'd hope they'd do something in the vein of the space adventure Buzz Lightyear seems to think he's on in the first movie, leading up to defeating Zurg - what was the last space-themed pin?

Well, Harry Potter would have to have one hell of a.... wait for it.......WIZARD MODE .

#309 6 years ago

How about another or a good Jurassic Park?

#310 6 years ago

Im still pushing for "Song of the South".
    Great kids movie, great soundtrack, great animated characters. International appeal etc...

#311 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

How about another or a good Jurassic Park?

Isn't Stern supposed to have Jurassic World?

#312 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Great kids movie, great soundtrack, great animated characters. International appeal etc...

Yea that's gonna happen in today's PC society

#313 6 years ago

Funny, I have absolutely no idea what the Princess Bride is. I will look it up after this post.

JJP definitely needs a blockbuster theme at this point to stay afloat. The POTC franchise would be ok, but it is on the downhill side compared to 2007 and I don't think anyone expects much from this new movie except a cash grab. On the other hand, Stern was not allowed to use any quotes from the movie and had to use voice actors instead of the real stars. They really got effed in the way they had to use that theme. If JJP could use the actually video and sound from all the movies, this could be the big seller they need. DI was their best game yet but did not sell near the potential because of a terrible original theme.

The real question is who will be designing their next game? Balcer is gone and I haven't heard that PL is working on another game.

#314 6 years ago

I would definitely not want to be an investor going Dialed In to POTC....IMHO.

#315 6 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I would definitely not want to be an investor going Dialed In to POTC....IMHO.

If you're a billionaire angel investor, the money required to keep JJP moving is a rounding error. That, plus you're in it as a pinball fan first, I would imagine.

#316 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

JJP definitely needs a blockbuster theme at this point to stay afloat. The POTC franchise would be ok, but it is on the downhill side compared to 2007 and I don't think anyone expects much from this new movie except a cash grab.

This 5th movie is supposed to be a real return to form. Disney screened it for the exhibitors recently, and the reaction was glowing.

The 4th movie was worse than bad. It was completely forgettable.

#317 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

This 5th movie is supposed to be a real return to form. Disney screened it for the exhibitors recently, and the reaction was glowing.
    The 4th movie was worse than bad. It was completely forgettable.

Hopefully that's true. I enjoyed the 1st... the 2nd was ok... the 3rd meh... there was a 4th? Lol. I probably saw it as I think that was the point I swore off anything to do with the franchise.

#318 6 years ago

I thought POTC 4 was actually the second best after the 1st one. The 3rd was the turd IMO; I never was able to make it through it. The Digital Playground "Pirates" was also a favorite of mine.

Quoted from John_I:

Funny, I have absolutely no idea what the Princess Bride is. I will look it up after this post.

What?! I hope you are either under 30, over 60 or didn't live in the US in the late 80s and early 90s or there is no excuse for this.

#319 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Inconceivable!

1 week later
    #320 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

I know people say that the want Harry Potter, but let's take a minute here to figure out how that could be done. Is it one table to cover all 7 books? that is a lot of information to be covered for even a widebody game. Do you break it down into 7 individual tables (not practical from a players point of view at all).
    i have been thinking that this would be an amazing table as i am 37 years old and grew up with Harry (according to the books he is actually about 4 months younger than i am). I just don't see how one table could do the series the justice that it would take. Is there a different section of the playfield for each book? maybe an 7 sided (heptagon) mini playfield (think bride of pinbot) that would be specific for each book while the rest of the machine is general Harry Potter world (Hogwarts, Gringots, Hogsmead, etc). Even at that point, the "mini" playfield would have to be pretty big to cover books specific items.
    Just a trying to visualize how it could be done.
    With personal knowledge (my brother is the lead designer) on JJP #4, it is fun to watch what people have come up with. Lots of great themes have been brought up in this thread. I can neither confirm or deny if any (or all) of them are true or not.

I hope this is the problem. To where there is so much material, you may have to break things up between multiple games. Maybe the next JJP designer gets to cherry pick the best of the goods to make the best pin. Maybe it is the first three books. Gosh I hope this is the case. I am a realist though. I am sure there have been multiple attempts to get this theme and for whatever reason, it isn't easy to obtain. I still struggle that J.K. Rowling hates pinball machines. Somehow/someway I am hoping this was mis interpreted and the license is getting hung up for some other reason.

HP is the holy grail of pinball titles. There really is not a close second. Just look at this thread for evidence. Someone will figure out how to get this title. Based on the players today, I still put my money on Jack. He will figure out a way to get it.

#321 6 years ago

I heard JJP had 007 , would be after toy story , don't know how true it is .....

#322 6 years ago

smokey and the bandit, please!!! 40 yr anniv. is here!!

#323 6 years ago
    Quoted from cyclone1234:

I heard JJP had 007 , would be after toy story , don't know how true it is .....

Don't see that happing but it could be cool. I heard it was POTC

#324 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

smokey and the bandit, please!!! 40 yr anniv. is here!!

Sounds like an overlay/remix someone should make for Getaway.

#325 6 years ago

I see Toy Story happening over POTC just because Jack mentioned in the past that there were no plans to redo a previously released theme.

#326 6 years ago

I wouldn't think Toy Story next due to the movie getting pushed back so far (June 2019). I would think they would want to strike while the iron was hot with the movie release, Toy Story Land opening at DisneyWorld, etc... It seems a little premature so far in advance.

#327 6 years ago

With 4 Toy Story movies out already, it seems they have plenty to choose from. Seems it will be generic Toy Story themed game anyway.

#328 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

I know people say that the want Harry Potter, but let's take a minute here to figure out how that could be done. Is it one table to cover all 7 books? that is a lot of information to be covered for even a widebody game. Do you break it down into 7 individual tables (not practical from a players point of view at all).
    i have been thinking that this would be an amazing table as i am 37 years old and grew up with Harry (according to the books he is actually about 4 months younger than i am). I just don't see how one table could do the series the justice that it would take. Is there a different section of the playfield for each book? maybe an 7 sided (heptagon) mini playfield (think bride of pinbot) that would be specific for each book while the rest of the machine is general Harry Potter world (Hogwarts, Gringots, Hogsmead, etc). Even at that point, the "mini" playfield would have to be pretty big to cover books specific items.
    Just a trying to visualize how it could be done.
    With personal knowledge (my brother is the lead designer) on JJP #4, it is fun to watch what people have come up with. Lots of great themes have been brought up in this thread. I can neither confirm or deny if any (or all) of them are true or not.

A Harry Potter pin would probably have to use things common to multiple movies on the playfield. There is Hogwarts, and the 4 wizardry houses maybe for drop targets. Staircases that move (ramps), maybe some common villains. The modes would be where it would get into the various details of the movies and make them progress as the movies did. For a side mode to reward for something, have a cribbage competition of some sort for the upbeat fun mode. Then the various villain modes.

JJP did a great job of meshing the TH trilogy, and will probably do well with the rumored POTC and Toy Story series of movies. Harry Potter would more likely be "what do we have to leave out" because of playfield space or getting too deep with code. There is a large number of people that would like to see JJP make this pin ... I hope that JJP can take this on soon.

#329 6 years ago

I would buy Toy Story my kids would love it.

#331 6 years ago

I would be in for 007 Bond

#332 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

And its a well loved Disney film !

#333 6 years ago

Is there a chance they're going to announce soon or do we need to wait for Expo?

#334 6 years ago

Minimum it will be announced at Expo. Dialed in is just coming of the line now and in no way would they want the excitement of next pin tittle to curtail sales of this one. May I add I finally got a chance to put some games up on Dialed In. It's fun simple as that and I didn't know a damn thing I was shooting for. It's a winner

#335 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I would buy Toy Story my kids would love it.

I soooooo hope that this is #4; my son is into all things Toy Story and this would be a great fit for the gamesroom. No grief from the wife either as it was the movie we went to watch on our first date. I just don't want to wait until 2019 if they sync it with the next movie!

#336 6 years ago

Sorry to distroy all dreams and wishes. Actually #4 is going to be POTC!! Announcement was planned for TPF. Unfortunately by delaying the announcement I had to invest my pinball money for this year in an AFMR LE. I'm actually a big fan of JJP but their product launch strategy is more than dilettanish! They announced DI in October and haven't start to ship so far and haven't announce the next title although the movie is coming out in this month in order to save DI orders (correct old mistake)...

#337 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin_king:

Sorry to distroy all dreams and wishes. Actually #4 is going to be POTC!! Announcement was planned for TPF. Unfortunately by delaying the announcement I had to invest my pinball money for this year in an AFMR LE. I'm actually a big fan of JJP but their product launch strategy is more than dilettanish! They announced DI in October and haven't start to ship so far and haven't announce the next title although the movie is coming out in this month in order to save DI orders (correct old mistake)...

Source?

#338 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin_king:

(correct old mistake)

No old mistake.

Hobbits were on the line. DI announced as next game. Around 15 prototypes were built for testing and shows. Then start ordering parts, getting assembly line in order ( which is happening right now ) start rolling things down the line. First playfield finished and sent to test station for testing.

Things are slowly picking up speed. It takes a bit to get to full production.

They'll announce #4 when they are ready to do so.

LTG : )

#339 6 years ago

That's the classical mistake to adjust your product launch schedules to the internal delays instead of doing every thing possible to hit the window of opportunity. What advantage did JJP get to anounce DI in October 2016? Why not anouncing and shipping DI in October 2017 and announcing and shipping POTC in May 2017. Sorry to be so direct, I'm extremely dissapointed that I made my decision for this year and I can't afford the JJP POTC any more...

#340 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin_king:

That's the classical mistake to adjust your product launch schedules to the internal delays instead of doing every thing possible to hit the window of opportunity. What advantage did JJP get to anounce DI in October 2016? Why not anouncing and shipping DI in October 2017 and announcing and shipping POTC in May 2017. Sorry to be so direct, I'm extremely dissapointed that I made my decision for this year and I can't afford the JJP POTC any more...

What was your decision? To get a DI? That's a great game and hardly a mistake. Play whatever game you're getting, and by the time POTC (if that's what it is) begins shipping, you might be ready for a change anyway.

#341 6 years ago

I can afford one (LE) NIB every year. JJP machines are by far the high end games you can get for your money. Because JJP POTC is going to be a wide body with a lot of great toys DI was never an option for my yearly hobby spendings. AFMR LE seems to be a much better investment for this year. Of course an POTC announced during the TPF would probably chnaged my decision!

#342 6 years ago

I really hope they never make Toy Story and will likely not buy a POTC. Lame theme and already been done, respectively. Harry Potter or Princess Bride would be must buys. Superman is two, maybe three, CEs for me; forget about saving for retirement. A JJP Superman pin is my grail and then I could die happy.

#343 6 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I really hope they never make Toy Story and will likely not buy a POTC. Lame theme and already been done, respectively. Harry Potter or Princess Bride would be must buys. Superman is two, maybe three, CEs for me; forget about saving for retirement. A JJP Superman pin is my grail and then I could die happy.

With all due respect, you realize that Superman has already been done also, right? Doesn't seem like a good reason to not consider a new pin. We're not talking about a vault edition of POTC when JJP goes that route. I'm guessing the new JJP will bear zero resemblance to the previous Stern other than the title (which might even be slightly different as well).

I do see that you allow some wriggle room with "likely not buy".

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance (resized).jpgso-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance (resized).jpg

#344 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin_king:

What advantage did JJP get to anounce DI in October 2016?

It is going to be their next game. It's Pinball Expo, where three other games from other manufacturers were announced. They have done a fireside chat and booth at Expo since they started.

Seems like a great place and time to me.

LTG : )

#345 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin_king:

I'm actually a big fan of JJP but their product launch strategy is more than dilettanish! They announced DI in October and haven't start to ship so far and haven't announce the next title although the movie is coming out in this month in order to save DI orders (correct old mistake)...

Hmmm...strange choice of word there.

Anyways, JJP is getting much better at launching product. WOZ and Hobbit were delayed for years. With Dialed In they announced in October last year and said they would begin production in Q2. Well, for the first time ever they hit their deadline, games are on the line right now. I think they deserve to be congratulated for that. Furthermore, DI underwent significant testing before production and the software will be pretty much done by the time they ship. They also only took a $250 refundable deposit this time. All signs that their production process has matured.

Maybe when they announce JJP#4 at Expo they will be able to reduce the time between reveal and production even more.

#346 6 years ago

If they announce a POTC and its deep and a ton of toys, more of a stop and go TZ, I'm friggin in. It's also that time where they should be doing a machine say every 9 months. If this is the case Toy Story, the pinball, would be perfect timing for the movie release and also a huge winner in my opinion.

#347 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

With all due respect, you realize that Superman has already been done also, right? Doesn't seem like a good reason to not consider a new pin. We're not talking about a vault edition of POTC when JJP goes that route. I'm guessing the new JJP will bear zero resemblance to the previous Stern other than the title (which might even be slightly different as well).
    I do see that you allow some wriggle room with "likely not buy".

I don't personally enjoy pre-ramp or pre-DMD pins (except maybe Funhouse) so there has never been a Superman pin that counts, IMO. F@<#ING Batman has like four pins and Superman has one piece of crap SS. That is a tragedy.

I am a HUGE Superman fan. I have a son named Clark and a daughter named Kara. No theme even comes close for me. Maybe there aren't enough Superman super-fans out there to make it worth it but I will hold out my hope.

I would never buy Toy Story (although I said the same about DI and here I am with an LE on order) and POTC would have to be really great. Basically, I love JJP but at some point I'll have to stop buying all of their games NIB. POTC would make that easy. Toy Story would make that REALLY easy.

#348 6 years ago

You are completly right- they significantly improved! However, because I'm such a big JJP fan, I expected by far more impact from the new CEO. It looks like the company is still driven by Jack's emotions instead of by logical business decisions. With more and more comeptitors entering the limited market, timing (and products) are going to be crucial. I never thought that I would decide in favour of a remake instead of a JJP machine!

#349 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin_king:

I never thought that I would decide in favour of a remake instead of a JJP machine!

Yeah, personally I would have bought a DI standard, it's the same price as the AFMRLE, and it looks like its going to ship at around the same time.

#350 6 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I don't consider pre-ramp or pre-DMD pins (except maybe Funhouse) to be actual pins

no, man. words have meanings. you can't just declare that pinball was invented in 1991.

There are 482 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-4-announcement/page/7?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.