Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 526 posts
  • 179 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    images-2_(resized).jpeg
    382803_504132061221_19559052_n.jpg
    bill-cosby-face.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    FB_IMG_1447638988645.jpg
    image.png
    images-1.jpeg
    Capture.jpg
    download.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    soup.gif
    starship.jpg
    Clint_trek.jpg
    white-out.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#138 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Why? Sounds like it was full of great ideas, toys, completely original, and has plenty of budget. What a Lawlor pin should be.
    You haven't seen it, so to judge it now is asinine. If you don't like it after it's revealed then fine, you certainly have that right. But I can't see the point of being negative about it now.

I agree that to judge based on some selective info posted by a disgruntled worked is silly.

PL has made some games with quirky themes.... and I LOVE them!

However, having said that, if Im being honest, I really HOPE that post was mostly bullshit.

One challenge with JJP #3 is (like Smaug) there's been sooo much build-up it may be difficult for it to match the sky-high expectations people have.

#162 8 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

People were writing JJP off during the 4 yr process it took to get Woz done. It is a huge success.
    People are still writing JJP off despite the delays and "lateness" of TH. And despite all that, the reviews of TH are fantastic and will probably sell more than Woz.
    The "JJP is in trouble" mantra just ignores the deep pocket venture capital guys that just came in. It looks like JJP is going to be around for a long time, like it or not.
    And now people are speculating that based on some random posted BS that Lawlor's pin, JJP's #3 is going to suck and take JJP down.
    How STUPID is that? Well its really STUPID, because if I'm going to "speculate", I'd bet ON a Lawlor pin being GREAT with today's technology and a JJP pin budget.

And how stupid is it to "spike the ball" on TH before game #1 even rolls out the door!

btw- I agree with everything else you said.... and frankly, I know you weren't necessarily spiking the ball in your post either, but we're all guilty of speculation on pinside!

Hell, pull out speculation and 7,000 GoT posts, and about as many TH posts would *pooff* disappear!

JJP deserves to "spike the ball" on WoZ. No question. The jury's still out on TH and financial stability. Safe to say, signs are certainly improving on both fronts, though.

#282 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

I ni

I never said it would work but he has convinced alot of people to prepay $8k a piece on decades ok children's IP and everyone bought in. WOZ and TH are kids books and novels. Disney is for kids. Cell phones are in every kids hands these day. Jack is a visionary I believe he has his model and its about setting up "New Pinball" for the next 30 years. Half of Pinside will be 65-dead in 20 years. Need new blood. I wish him luck hope this is a home run. And if this works all of his following games will be automatic buys for D&B C'E'Cheese ext. If it fails oh well quick reboot, throw out a kickass Star Wars and all is forgotten. Have to swing for the fences to guy a home run!

I have a feeling any game that D&B would consider an "automatic buy" would NOT appeal to most folks here that enjoy pinball.

Get too far away from the nostalgic connection many people have pinball and you will "bite the hand that feeds you."

#293 8 years ago

Pinball is retro and will die unless changed.

Correct.

And, I don't think a cell phone tie-in, or redemption or a 120" 3d LCD screen will dramatically change that.

I think we're enjoying a great period for pinball- the generation(s) that LOVED it and grew up with it are sitting on a nice lump of discretionary income....

However, when we die off (ugh- thats depressing), I just don't see pinball growing. Will it still be around? Sure, as a novelty, but I'd bet there will not be 3-4 companies building machines... more like 1-2 boutiques...maybe.

Aside from anectdodal stories of kids (usually of pinsiders) who "just love pinball", kids don't dig pinball.

A generation from now, I suspect we will be living in smaller homes as well... not good for these 350 pound behemoths.

Enjoy the peak renaissance of pinball while it lasts.... it won't last forever.... and thats just life.

#307 8 years ago

stock holders disagree with you on Dave and Busters.

huh?

But anyways, I just think this talk about dominating D&B with some new design is complete pie-in-the-sky right now...

I would be shocked if D&B would be super interested in a 300, 400, 500 pound machine with 20,000 moving parts.... One look under the PF of TH gets pinheads jazzed up- but probable has the exact OPPOSITE effect on some joint like D&B!

Also, consider JJP will have to seriously up their game on QC if they want to play in that space.

Massive dicking around with LED boards, inductors melting, PFs prematurely wearing, etc, etc would not "cut it." First time that happened, they'd likely say "come pick this crap up- we're not dealing with this headache."

And lastly, JJP would need to completely revamp their production planning/manufacturing to play in the big leagues.... that part of their business right now is a joke.

Cater to a fanatical hobby clientele that will look past 3 year deliver dates and QC problem? sure.
    Try to market to buyers who don't give a shit if its pinball or Bar-Ber-Cut - whichever drives revenue? no way... not yet.

#315 8 years ago

Dave and Buster's stock has DOUBLED in last 12 months. You guys keep saying nobody gives a shit about Dave and Busters, and that may be true in your own bubble, but the investors/money is showing that you are wrong.

Im not saying "NO ONE cares about D&B", I'm saying THEY don't give a shit about pinball, and I as a pinhead, don't see D&B as being much of a player in pinball....

4 months later
    #437 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Do you think they might consider dropping the unlicensed theme due to market conditions?

1. Given JJPs development/manufacturing pace, it's WAY too late to make that change now.
    2. If you believe the rumors, work has been going on for some time on #3 already

I agree unlicensed is risky. However, recent Stern history aside, Lawlor has created some of the best games in pinball history. So, it's a gamble, but I wouldn't bet against Lawlor.

I will admit 90% of my interest in following TH has been becuase I want to see what comes NEXT!

#444 8 years ago

Well,, i just went back and read the "leaked/rumored" info on the game. Honesty, I hope that was WAY off

Then again, Lawlor has made some quirky themes work.

I suppose back in the day- if someone leaked info that he was designing a game about road construction, people would have been like "WTF?" thats gonna suck!

#446 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

It did.
    Funhouse 2 it aint!

images-2_(resized).jpegimages-2_(resized).jpeg

#450 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

So, hypotheticals.. let's say it's JJP-ized Roadshow 2.0. How is that really going to go over in today's market? Especially 2016.. TBL, TH, GB, RZ, at least 1 other Stern, and maybe Alien all shipping this year.
    On the other hand, I'm sure the investors, with fresh eyes, were convinced this title is going to do well or they wouldn't of stepped in.

i think the theme is going to have to ROCK.

Let's face it, people are buying games today based on themes, not gameplay (which drives me crazy- btw).

90% of TH buyers never even saw the PF, much less gameplay before buying. Probably the same for GB LE buyers....

If the theme is TOO quirky (even if it ultimately plays great), that is going to be a challenge in todays market- IMO, particularly if JJP moved away from the prepay model (as they've said).

I don't thing JJP can really afford for the majority of buyers to "wait and see" and decide they want to PLAY one before buying it. Thats WAY lower cash flow than they've been accustomed to.

4 weeks later
    #476 8 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Yes, meant JJ.
    I guess if JJP had a solid history of timely manufacturing like Stern (or at least adherence to a schedule, like Spooky), I'd feel more confident. The word had been a spring 2016 reveal - that doesn't look likely. Sure would like to be surprised, tho. I still think the reality of the situation is that the Hobbit is trickling off the line. I'd bet they'll be working getting orders filled on that game for months and months... Late into this year. All speculation, of course.

I'm certainly no JJP-delay-apologist, but:

If the end result is a game that we can Order, Pay and have Shipped (without any multi-year gaps between those steps), then its worth the wait.

This is assuming the fiasco of pre-ordering is dead, as many have alluded to for JJP #3.

Here's my dream scenario for JJP #3.

1. Game is revealed with full color images and a gameplay video
    2. Orders are taken (perhaps with a modest deposit, like $1000) with shipping to commence within 30 days
    3. Balance due when game is getting boxed up for shipment.

3 weeks later
    #501 7 years ago

Here's one more tip for JJP #3:

Get the f#$%ing flipper power right!

And for gods sake, when the games are at super high profile events (shows, test games, etc) - get them setup RIGHT.

After 2 entire games built, we see the same complaints CONSTANTLY....
    "flipper are underpowered"
    "games were set at the wrong angle"
    etc.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-3-pat-lawlors-next-pin?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.