Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 526 posts
  • 179 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    images-2_(resized).jpeg
    382803_504132061221_19559052_n.jpg
    bill-cosby-face.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    FB_IMG_1447638988645.jpg
    image.png
    images-1.jpeg
    Capture.jpg
    download.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    soup.gif
    starship.jpg
    Clint_trek.jpg
    white-out.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Captain_Kirk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I read it before it was taken down but not sure what I read besides the 3 Disney licenses he supposedly secured.

That post was suspect for a variety of reasons.

Since when is JJP so cozy with Disney, and yet couldn't get Star Wars?

And Pirates of the Caribbean? Yeah, there's going to be a 5th movie, but that theme's potential peaked backed in 2006-2007 era.

None of that post made any sense.

1 week later
    #124 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Actually I think most of what was written was true and that is why it was taken down so quickly.

If it was true, JJP is in deeper trouble than they are now.

#127 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Why? Sounds like it was full of great ideas, toys, completely original, and has plenty of budget. What a Lawlor pin should be.
    You haven't seen it, so to judge it now is asinine. If you don't like it after it's revealed then fine, you certainly have that right. But I can't see the point of being negative about it now.

Sounds like a lame idea, as well as having a Pirates of the Caribbean license.

That's why the article is suspect.

And if it is true, then JJP's in a lot more trouble than they already are.

#128 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why? Because Kirk hates JJP. That's why.

Wrong! But thank you for playing anyway!

Seeing as I doubt that JJP would have plans so stupid proves that I don't hate them.

If I did, I'd say "Yup! Sounds like JJP!"

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Actually, it's pretty well documented that Kirk hates George Takei/Sulu more.

I like him. Takei hates me.

He's jealous.

#172 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Are you Stern's mom? Who gives a rat's ass?

Are you JJP's mom?

#173 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I'm not really much of a JJP fan if I'm saying I don't like layout of The Hobbit. And I'm not a fan of Stern delivering barebones games either. I'm a fan of fun, full featured pinball myself.

Nothing barebones about GOT Premium/LE. Or any of their Premiums/LEs.

#235 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Silverballz hates JJP.

You sure seem to be the expert on who the JJP haters are.

#240 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You don't have to be an expert. It's obvious. Let's add EK77 and SadSack to the list.

Ironic, since I go au naturel.

download.jpgdownload.jpg

#291 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

JJP#3 is going to be unique as in a new style and way of playing pinball. Some kind of redemption or reward system, faster game play/times and it main purpose will be to get into Dave and Buster and Chuck E Cheese. Jack wants to expand pinball and change the model with this one. Dave and Busters doesn't want straight old fashion pinball and that is a huge market for a Manufacturer like JJP. I think we as collectors and hobbyist will be disappointed as this game wont be made for us.

Stern has had a redemption system add-in for a few years now. It's nothing new, so you statement doesn't make sense.

Nobody cares about D&B or Chuckle Cheese for growing pinball.

Move along.

#295 8 years ago

Your simplifying the issue. Stern has it as an "Add-on" and afterthought. No wonder it sucks and nobody cares. This is a JJP thread and Jack is out there talking about this stuff. Lawlor is a game changer, helped revive pinball in 1992 and has experience thinking outside the box. This game is not going to be an add on ticket spewer as you suggest.

Not going to matter in D&B or Chuckie Cheese.

Pinball revival started with Steve Ritchie's High Speed in 1986, not Lawlor in 1992. Lawlor acknowledged this in the Tilt documentary.

1992-1993 would more be considered the peak year.

#298 8 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

92-93 was the BIG breakthrough.I understand why inside B/W High Speed would be considered the mile marker,but on the street it was another Steve Ritchie game, T2,that had the vidiots lining up to drop coins.DMD was the eye candy that attracted video gamers.

Sorry, but 92-93 was the peak, not the breakthrough.

And as for T2, well, High Speed sold more than T2, so that argument doesn't hold water either.

#301 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Sorry, but 92-93 was the peak, not the breakthrough.
    And as for T2, well, High Speed sold more than T2, so that argument doesn't hold water either.

Sorry, but 92-93 was the peak, not the beginning of the revival.

#302 8 years ago

Arcades and pins were dying 89-92. I dont need to cite a documentary to tell you that. Pins were dying in early 80's due to the new arcade games. I already states it was cyclical. Not sure what you are saying. And games like Mortal Kombat Nba Jam zTaMNT and street fighter 2 are the cornerstones of why arcades came back briefly from 91-95. No pinball. Pinball was something you played while waiting for your turn.

Pinball started coming back after the Arcade crash of '83. 1986's High Speed was the highest seller since Firepower in 1980. This began an upward trend for pinball, with big sellers like Funhouse, F-14 Tomcat, PinBot and Cyclone. This upward trend continued and peaked in the early 90's with games like T2, Addams Family, High Speed 2, Star Trek, etc...

The arcades ran in trouble again, because their bread and butter was video games, and after the 16-bit consoles came out, video games in arcades became more passe.

#306 8 years ago

What are the Great pins of 89 90 and 91??? There was low period just like 83 84. That's all I am saying you cant sit there and tell nothing but steady rise from High Speed to AF. Anyways enough with that. Not that this is new need but as a refresher read JJP patent. http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20130509ptan20130113161.php This new game will be different and meant for major multi media activity. Whether you can play while not on the machine or use a device to interact while you or friend plays. Who knows. My whole point is that this game wont be your grandfathers pinball experience as we know it up through GOT even.

1989-1991?

Capture.jpgCapture.jpg

#313 8 years ago

Dave and Buster's stock has DOUBLED in last 12 months. You guys keep saying nobody gives a shit about Dave and Busters, and that may be true in your own bubble, but the investors/money is showing that you are wrong.

I don't care and this is off topic. I don't want to talk about the 80's and 90's. Just because those are seen as good games now doesn't mean they were block busters at the time. BOP sold no where close to PB for example. Lets stay on the topic of the new game. The only reason your are even babbling about this is because I said Lawyer is a game changer. Do you disagree with that statement? You provided Whirlwind as an example of a good game so I don't understand where you are going with this? If you have an opinion on what you believe is happening with JJP #3 then let us know. If your just here to argue about the 80's and 90's I don't care.

You're the one who said Lawlor revitalized the pinball industry in 1992. I corrected you on it with facts. I'm done if you are.

#318 8 years ago

If all of us pass it on to our kids, pinball will survive.

I'd love to see pinball become more widely available on location, but I'm just not a fan of D&B, or turning it into a redemption machine.

Pinball should be played for what it is, not with some Frankenstein attachment so kids can get 1,000 tickets to get a toy worth 50 cents.

4 months later
    #443 8 years ago
    Quoted from Veloso:

This has never really felt unlicensed, has it? "Pat Lawlor" is the license. I know I've been excited about it since his involvement was announced.

That's like saying "Steve Ritchie" is the license. No, doesn't work that way.

#445 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Well,, i just went back and read the "leaked/rumored" info on the game. Honesty, I hope that was WAY off
    Then again, Lawlor has made some quirky themes work.
    I suppose back in the day- if someone leaked info that he was designing a game about road construction, people would have been like "WTF?" thats gonna suck!

It did.

Funhouse 2 it aint!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Captain_Kirk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-3-pat-lawlors-next-pin?tu=Captain_Kirk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.