Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 526 posts
  • 179 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    images-2_(resized).jpeg
    382803_504132061221_19559052_n.jpg
    bill-cosby-face.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    FB_IMG_1447638988645.jpg
    image.png
    images-1.jpeg
    Capture.jpg
    download.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    soup.gif
    starship.jpg
    Clint_trek.jpg
    white-out.jpg
    There are 526 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.
    #401 8 years ago

i love how off topic posts get relegated to the basement yet the last 3 pages of this thread are........

This pin is gonna be great but it is at least a year before reveal and 2 years to homes.

#402 8 years ago

Well, rufer said that the line was starting tomorrow. Either it will start tomorrow or we can all head to ace hardware and buy some pitchforks.

#403 8 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Well, rufer said that the line was starting tomorrow. Either it will start tomorrow or we can all head to ace hardware and buy some pitchforks.

The Hobbit line? Hope so! About time!!!!

#404 8 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

I've never heard of "Trin" before. Is that short for Trinidad (Chicago Coin 1948)? I didn't realize it had such a killer light show and kick ass sound.

Of course I am talking about Trindad, I am 80 years old and I remember fondly the days when that Pin came out! That whippersnapper MiddleSteak has a whole thread dedicated to it!

#405 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

The Hobbit line? Hope so! About time!!!!

Yessir.

#406 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I wish the GI lighting in WoZ, especially in the lower PF, was WAY better, and the INSERTS (especially yellow brick road) could be turned down another step. In a dim room, the inserts are WAY too bright (even on "low" in the setup) and the general playfield is so poorly lit that most of the bottom 2/3rds is way too dark.

I agree that the middle of the lower playfield was too dark in a dark room, but that was an easy fix with the aftemarket spotlight kit. My game is where I want it to be now and will be even better when I finally get around to installing the lighted tree mod.

#407 8 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Sounds like a euphemism for drugs and prostitutes.

I'm in!

#408 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

i love how off topic posts get relegated to the basement yet the last 3 pages of this thread are........

This unfortunately is the state of Pinside. The cancer that the Mod Staff won't cure.

#409 8 years ago

Excuse my ignorance but who is rufer?

#410 8 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

mnpinball

#411 8 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

rufer: (n) roo-fer - The person who drops the roofie

*Disclaimer: This is nothing to do with mnpinball, this is a joke.

bill-cosby-face.jpgbill-cosby-face.jpg

#412 8 years ago

Pass the Jell-O Pudding, Please!

#413 8 years ago

i'll take the

382803_504132061221_19559052_n.jpg382803_504132061221_19559052_n.jpg

#414 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Pass the Jell-O Pudding, Please!

ill have some also to go with the kool aid! looking forward to hobbit news........

3 months later
    #415 8 years ago

Man I wish we'd get SOMETHING about this.....I really have high hopes. Any more speculation?? LOL

#416 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Man I wish we'd get SOMETHING about this

I saw Pat a couple weeks ago. He was more pumped up and excited than I've seen him in too many years.

I'm sure there will be lots of news coming out when the time is right and production is close.

LTG : )

#417 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I saw Pat a couple weeks ago. He was more pumped up and excited than I've seen him in too many years.

Wow! Great to hear!

#418 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Man I wish we'd get SOMETHING about this.....I really have high hopes. Any more speculation?? LOL

Did you see the leaked info months ago? Plenty of info to keep you imagination going

#419 8 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Did you see the leaked info months ago? Plenty of info to keep you imagination going

Probably a thread eject if we were to post that post!

#420 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm sure there will be lots of news coming out when the time is right and production is close.

Are you guys hoping to get near to maximum production at the facility with WOZ, Hobbit and #3 in production, or is that further down the road in the plans? If you can comment.

#421 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Are you guys hoping to get near to maximum production at the facility with WOZ, Hobbit and #3 in production, or is that further down the road in the plans?

Stepping things up has been going on for some time. This is going to be an amazing year for JJP.

#422 8 years ago

I.E. We're cautiously optimistic, but no comment

#423 8 years ago

A team America pin with 5 heads!
    Fuck ya!

#424 8 years ago

I've got pinball money burning a hole in my pocket. Waiting to see what Pat and JJP can come up with before spending it. Hope it's announced soon

#425 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

I.E. We're cautiously optimistic

I don't think they'll say much. Actions speak louder than words. If JJP does the August ? open house this year. I'd hit it. Fireside chat at Expo in October will be good too.

#426 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I don't think they'll say much. Actions speak louder than words. If JJP does the August ? open house this year. I'd hit it. Fireside chat at Expo in October will be good too.

Bit much for me to justify a transatlantic flight Just curious really what the expectations are for capacity / unit production this year, given that people (or JJP) are hoping for 3 games in production in '16, which should capture a lot more sales than just one game on the line.

#427 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

given that people (or JJP) are hoping for 3 games in production in '16,

I think it will be two a year.

#428 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I think it will be two a year.

You mean 2 in production per year, or 2 new games on the line each year? Kind of surprising if WOZ production is to be ended when game 3 ships ...

#429 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

anything less than an announcement with games read to ship for JJP (at least the first 10 test games built) is a failure IMHO.

You dont get a 2 year pass on game #3 I hope.

#430 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

anything less than an announcement with games read to ship for JJP (at least the first 10 test games built) is a failure IMHO.
    You dont get a 2 year pass on game #3 I hope.

I agree. They need to have a full production machine if not a fully featured demo ready to roll at announcement with a release date.

#431 8 years ago

I overheard Jack talking to someone the other night who asked if TH had a camera in it. He sorta hinted that a future title might have a camera in it.

#432 8 years ago

So would it film the player and his game in a bar and put it live on the internet ?

#433 8 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

So would it film the player and his game in a bar and put it live on the internet ?

Filming the player is kind of creepy. Filming and possibly streaming the playfield would be great, though!

It'd be cool to recap best combos or most valuable/critical shots after your game.

#434 8 years ago

There is a tmz slot machine with a camera that takes a pic of the player and makes the image part of the game.

#435 8 years ago

With the new funding I expect Pat's game to be 'dialed in' and ready to go this year!

They need this game to be in people's homes this year and my guess is they will be.

1 week later
    #436 8 years ago

Do you think they might consider dropping the unlicensed theme due to market conditions?

My feelings are that for the hobbit, there won't be an absolute ton of new purchases, so some but not a lot of new money. Last time, they had Hobbit preorders to round out the WOZ overruns. This time they aren't (so far) doing that, and the market won't tolerate it again in my opinion.

So.. Looking ahead at JJP#3 as unlicensed.. That now feels like a larger risk to the company than what it might have a year or two ago when they threw out #3 as unlicensed.

Unless they can really do more than one game a year starting 2017.. I.e., survive a game that doesn't sell well.

Anyways, been wondering about this as the attempts to do unlicensed by boutiques in the interim period has been either slow starts or never make it out of the gate. I.e., we say we want it but we really don't.. Seems like JJP needs a Ghostbusters to get into next phase of company vs a AMH - only using it as example since Ben has talked at length about the unlicensed thing being a mixed bag / not critiquing AMH at all.

#437 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Do you think they might consider dropping the unlicensed theme due to market conditions?

1. Given JJPs development/manufacturing pace, it's WAY too late to make that change now.
    2. If you believe the rumors, work has been going on for some time on #3 already

I agree unlicensed is risky. However, recent Stern history aside, Lawlor has created some of the best games in pinball history. So, it's a gamble, but I wouldn't bet against Lawlor.

I will admit 90% of my interest in following TH has been becuase I want to see what comes NEXT!

#438 8 years ago

Given what was suggested as the theme earlier though, if that's true, the theme will be a drag on interest vs boost right?

Unless they are really are going after redemption market hard where it's just about something to capture kids interest and spit out tickets? In which case, the theme maybe matters less.

#439 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

My feelings are that for the hobbit, there won't be an absolute ton of new purchases, so some but not a lot of new money. Last time, they had Hobbit preorders to round out the WOZ overruns. This time they aren't (so far) doing that, and the market won't tolerate it again in my opinion.
    So.. Looking ahead at JJP#3 as unlicensed.. That now feels like a larger risk to the company than what it might have a year or two ago when they threw out #3 as unlicensed.
    Unless they can really do more than one game a year starting 2017.. I.e., survive a game that doesn't sell well.
    Anyways, been wondering about this as the attempts to do unlicensed by boutiques in the interim period has been either slow starts or never make it out of the gate. I.e., we say we want it but we really don't.. Seems like JJP needs a Ghostbusters to get into next phase of company vs a AMH - only using it as example since Ben has talked at length about the unlicensed thing being a mixed bag / not critiquing AMH at all.

Developing stunning video assets is going to be a time consuming / costly process. Having a licensed theme with those video assets included in the licensing fee will save time and money. Access to Peter Jacksons 10+ hours of spectacular footage should make Hobbit pop on the LCD. Of course game play is subjective and stunning video does make make a great game but it is cool.

#440 8 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, according to JJP, they had 1800 orders for The Hobbit ... I don't think they'll be struggling to keep the production line busy any time soon.

Despite the 'leaks' about #3, I doubt it will be anything too crazy theme wise. I'm sure it will sell. I'm certainly more interested in an unknown original theme than The Hobbit.

Re: their visual assets. I think it's no exaggeration to estimate that the number of man hours that have gone into The Hobbit's animations and on-screen visual representations are 10x more than an entire year's worth of Stern titles. The latter all use plain identikit dots for the general framework, with a few canned dot-ised film clips and / or short original dot-based animation segments.

#441 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

This has never really felt unlicensed, has it? "Pat Lawlor" is the license. I know I've been excited about it since his involvement was announced.

#442 8 years ago
    Quoted from Veloso:

"Pat Lawlor" is the license. I know I've been excited about it since his involvement was announced.

Me too. I sorta want to know what the game is. If it's a good original theme from Pat Lawlor, it could win me over from buying Ghostbusters.

#443 8 years ago
    Quoted from Veloso:

This has never really felt unlicensed, has it? "Pat Lawlor" is the license. I know I've been excited about it since his involvement was announced.

That's like saying "Steve Ritchie" is the license. No, doesn't work that way.

#444 8 years ago

Well,, i just went back and read the "leaked/rumored" info on the game. Honesty, I hope that was WAY off

Then again, Lawlor has made some quirky themes work.

I suppose back in the day- if someone leaked info that he was designing a game about road construction, people would have been like "WTF?" thats gonna suck!

#445 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Well,, i just went back and read the "leaked/rumored" info on the game. Honesty, I hope that was WAY off
    Then again, Lawlor has made some quirky themes work.
    I suppose back in the day- if someone leaked info that he was designing a game about road construction, people would have been like "WTF?" thats gonna suck!

It did.

Funhouse 2 it aint!

#446 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

It did.
    Funhouse 2 it aint!

images-2_(resized).jpegimages-2_(resized).jpeg

#447 8 years ago

So, hypotheticals.. let's say it's JJP-ized Roadshow 2.0. How is that really going to go over in today's market? Especially 2016.. TBL, TH, GB, RZ, at least 1 other Stern, and maybe Alien all shipping this year.

On the other hand, I'm sure the investors, with fresh eyes, were convinced this title is going to do well or they wouldn't of stepped in.

#449 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

It did.
    Funhouse 2 it aint!

RS doesn't suck. It's not perfect, but it doesn't suck. Now the theme song? That sucks....

#450 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

So, hypotheticals.. let's say it's JJP-ized Roadshow 2.0. How is that really going to go over in today's market? Especially 2016.. TBL, TH, GB, RZ, at least 1 other Stern, and maybe Alien all shipping this year.
    On the other hand, I'm sure the investors, with fresh eyes, were convinced this title is going to do well or they wouldn't of stepped in.

i think the theme is going to have to ROCK.

Let's face it, people are buying games today based on themes, not gameplay (which drives me crazy- btw).

90% of TH buyers never even saw the PF, much less gameplay before buying. Probably the same for GB LE buyers....

If the theme is TOO quirky (even if it ultimately plays great), that is going to be a challenge in todays market- IMO, particularly if JJP moved away from the prepay model (as they've said).

I don't thing JJP can really afford for the majority of buyers to "wait and see" and decide they want to PLAY one before buying it. Thats WAY lower cash flow than they've been accustomed to.

There are 526 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-3-pat-lawlors-next-pin/page/9?hl=veloso and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.