Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 526 posts
  • 179 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    images-2_(resized).jpeg
    382803_504132061221_19559052_n.jpg
    bill-cosby-face.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    FB_IMG_1447638988645.jpg
    image.png
    images-1.jpeg
    Capture.jpg
    download.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    soup.gif
    starship.jpg
    Clint_trek.jpg
    white-out.jpg
    There are 526 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.
    #251 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ironic, since I go au naturel.

Is that Dramatic Irony?

#252 8 years ago

Anybody think Lawlor came back to crank out something half ass?

No I think he feels like he has something to prove after the Stern "cost cutting days". Not Stern's fault, just had to be done.

My feeling is he's going to drop this jaw dropping pin on us, and then just simply drop mic on stage!

It's good to see Pat back and loving pinball again. That's great for all of us!

#253 8 years ago

I played the Hobbit a few times at Replay FX and once at York. Personally I really enjoyed it. Software will make or break it that is for sure. The VUK behind the drops need some work though... My initial observation/question/complaint would be regarding the ramps. They're similar to Fish Tales but unlike Fish Tales you don't get a "U-turn" when you do a partial orbit. Seems like there should be a sensor or something for that. Maybe there is but it's not active. <shrug>

As far as JJP #3 goes, all I know is what I read in Pinball Magazine #3 in an interview with Roger Sharpe. He says:
    I've had the privilege to play one of the initial versions in development and it is Pat at his brilliant best along with Ted Estes and his team. ...It's going to delight pinball people everywhere.

That's a pretty good endorsement.

#254 8 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

Never heard that, what's that rumor about?

It was just one of the 'leaks'.

It was way too specific not to be true. The truth is out there

#255 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It was just one of the 'leaks'.
    It was way too specific not to be true. The truth is out there

Why the secrecy from those that saw it or know about it? Pinside is 90% gossip and rumor anyway, throw another log on the fire.

Could someone send me a private message regarding this please or tell me where to search. I promise I'll only post cryptic messages afterward.

#256 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Why the secrecy from those that saw it or know about it? Pinside is 90% gossip and rumor anyway, throw another log on the fire.
    Could someone send me a private message regarding this please or tell me where to search. I promise I'll only post cryptic messages afterward.

Agreed, no sense in hiding the info, spill the beans already. Usual legal disclaimer regarding post not reflecting views of Pinside. Yada Yada Yada .....We realize it is rumor and wild speculation, but what are the specifics? How can we ridicule the content and dismiss its author as a troll if we don't know the details?

ps - I may want to get in on the preorder.

#257 8 years ago

JJP#3 is going to be unique as in a new style and way of playing pinball. Some kind of redemption or reward system, faster game play/times and it main purpose will be to get into Dave and Buster and Chuck E Cheese. Jack wants to expand pinball and change the model with this one. Dave and Busters doesn't want straight old fashion pinball and that is a huge market for a Manufacturer like JJP. I think we as collectors and hobbyist will be disappointed as this game wont be made for us.

#258 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

Jack wants to expand pinball and change the model with this one. Dave and Busters doesn't want straight old fashion pinball and that is a huge market for a Manufacturer like JJP. I think we as collectors and hobbyist will be disappointed as this game wont be made for us.

Well thats going to save me a good chunk of coin then.

#259 8 years ago

https://wikileaks.org/index.en.html

There is a submit button in the top right. Thanks.

#260 8 years ago

JJP#3 is going to be unique as in a new style and way of playing pinball. Some kind of redemption or reward system, faster game play/times and it main purpose will be to get into Dave and Buster and Chuck E Cheese. Jack wants to expand pinball and change the model with this one. Dave and Busters doesn't want straight old fashion pinball and that is a huge market for a Manufacturer like JJP. I think we as collectors and hobbyist will be disappointed as this game wont be made for us.

I'd think going with a licensed theme would be a significant part of the equation for on location success....

#261 8 years ago

I think we as collectors and hobbyist will be disappointed as this game wont be made for us.

I respectfully disagree. All of those "A" title B/W games were built exclusively for operators back in the 90's. And JJP knows his customer base.
    My guess is Pat Lawlor's design, with Keith Johnson's code will thread the needle nicely. And if they were going to lean on one side, it would always be in favor of the player. Stern knows this too.

This could be a break out machine for pinball and personally I'm excited about it. I only wish I knew more.

#262 8 years ago

I think we as collectors and hobbyist will be disappointed as this game wont be made for us.

Think again.

LTG : )

#263 8 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

I'd think going with a licensed theme would be a significant part of the equation for on location success....

What do you think the top earning game at Dave & Busters is? Big Bass Wheel? Monster Drop? Speed of Light?

I kid, I kid

#264 8 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Not really you been to either Dave and Buster or Chuck E cheese lately. They have tons of non-liscenced games

#265 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

What do you think the top earning game at Dave & Busters is? Big Bass Wheel? Monster Drop? Speed of Light?
    I kid, I kid

Dave and Busters has stated NO pinball as it currently exists PERIOD. So JJP is thinking outside of the box.

#266 8 years ago

Not really you been to either Dave and Buster or Chuck E cheese lately. They have tons of non-liscenced games

Also a somewhat unbelievable amount of licensed phone games.

#267 8 years ago

Who gives a crap about Dave and Busters? Any pinball company basing their strategy around them is in for a rude awakening.

#268 8 years ago

I screen grabbed the original post and I'm not sharing.
    Too much fun seeing all the speculation just from other people's recollection of the original post.

#269 8 years ago

It's not shipping until 2017 so why all the commotion?

#270 8 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

Did JJP announce a 2014 release date?

#271 8 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

That is so hilarious! Why didn't I think of that one?

#272 8 years ago

They have

Quoted from Aurich:

Who gives a crap about Dave and Busters? Any pinball company basing their strategy around them is in for a rude awakening.

Their stock price has doubles in last 12 months. They have over 125 locations $10,000 a game *2 games per store = about 2.5 million on just that chain alone, let alone the Chuck E Cheese's and Cedar points and Disney Lands and hundreds of smaller locations. JJP took a lot of money to help keep company pushing foward and growing a new base of player. Spooky is doing something similar, by producing a specific game for money to fund future ventures, on a smaller scale, with the new Dominos Pizza Pin. In the end its all about the money.

#273 8 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

I screen grabbed the original post and I'm not sharing.
    Too much fun seeing all the speculation just from other people's recollection of the original post.

Calling BS on this one.

#274 8 years ago

In the end its all about the money.

What? Say it isn't so!

#275 8 years ago

JJP has already done some of this with WOZ in some test markets. Changing rules to make it objective based and I believe it had a redemption aspect as well. Just reading the TEA leaves and obviously LTG would know more tha I but secrecy leads to speculation threads like this and this is my guess based on JJ speeches and other info I've heard. I dont think its a bad thing. We need to get younger kids into this hobby and use technology and innovation to change it up a bit. Pinball is big now because economy is stable for time being and 30-55 year olds have disposable income. It kills me when my kids and neighbor kids fire up a game like Trin and get board after 1 ball. Even with the Killer light show and kick ass sound. The younger generation is wanting faster mindless and simple "Flash Fun" tm.

#276 8 years ago

In the end its all about the money.

Then make a crane game. Dave and Busters doesn't want pinball.

What do I know though? Certainly not as much as Jack. I hope the Wizard of OZ Pindemption thing works. If they can win over Dave and Busters bully for them. Just not holding my breath is all. Happy to be wrong, it's only good for all of us.

#277 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Then make a crane game. Dave and Busters doesn't want pinball.
    What do I know though? Certainly not as much as Jack. I hope the Wizard of OZ Pindemption thing works. If they can win over Dave and Busters bully for them. Just not holding my breath is all. Happy to be wrong, it's only good for all of us.

But Jack doesn't make crane games. He makes pinball and is trying to get kids interested. WOZ, supposed Disney themes Coming up. With Cell Phone games and Ipad games and Jacks willingness to go out on a limb and use new tech he already is ahead of Stern with LCD displays. Plus Pat Lawlor did do SAFECRACKER. I envision a new type of integrated pinball machine. Maybe connects to internet or utilizes Bluetoth to use you phone or iPad as and additional game pad? End of my speculation we will see

#278 8 years ago

Their stock price has doubles in last 12 months. They have over 125 locations $10,000 a game *2 games per store = about 2.5 million on just that chain alone, let alone the Chuck E Cheese's and Cedar points and Disney Lands and hundreds of smaller locations. JJP took a lot of money to help keep company pushing foward and growing a new base of player.

If JJP gets into Dave and Busters ahead of the other manufactures they'll become the dominant industry leaders. Now I understand why those deep pocket investors bought in.

Just reading the TEA leaves and obviously LTG would know more tha I but secrecy leads to speculation threads like this and this is my guess based on JJ speeches and other info I've heard.

Just last night I listened to the JJP seminar on the Pinball News and I have to agree with your assessment from what Jack spoke about. But it was Pat Lawlor's controlled excitement about game #3 that I tuned in for.

#279 8 years ago

But Jack doesn't make crane games. He makes pinball and is trying to get kids interested. WOZ, supposed Disney themes Coming up. With Cell Phone games and Ipad games and Jacks willingness to go out on a limb and use new tech he already is ahead of Stern with LCD displays. Plus Pat Lawlor did do SAFECRACKER. I envision a new type of integrated pinball machine. Maybe connects to internet or utilizes Bluetoth to use you phone or iPad as and additional game pad? End of my speculation we will see

No offense, but Jack is foolish if he thinks pinball will ever appeal to the kids on a mass scale. Let's be honest with ourselves for once, the only time pinball ruled the land was when it was the only game in town. NO WAY does pinball make a comeback with kids, it is just not as exciting and diverse as the modern day vid and redemption world........not to mention it's a pain in the ass to maintain. At this stage Jack should focus on surviving in the world of pinball. Kids are loyal to no one and are worse critics than we could ever be. My nephews love vids, but they think pinball, LCD or not is an old mans game........and guess what, it is!

#280 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

No offense, but Jack is foolish if he thinks pinball will ever appeal to the kids on a mass scale. Let's be honest with ourselves for once, the only time pinball ruled the land was when it was the only game in town. NO WAY does pinball make a comeback with kids, it is just not as exciting and diverse as the modern day vid and redemption world........not to mention it's a pain in the ass to maintain. At this stage Jack should focus on surviving in the world of pinball. Kids are loyal to no one and are worse critics than we could ever be. My nephews love vids, but they think pinball, LCD or not is an old mans game........and guess what, it is!

No company contemplating the purchase of hundreds of machines wants to hear, "If it ain't broke, it ain't pinball"

#281 8 years ago

I ni

Quoted from thedarkknight77:No offense, but Jack is foolish if he thinks pinball will ever appeal to the kids on a mass scale. Let's be honest with ourselves for once, the only time pinball ruled the land was when it was the only game in town. NO WAY does pinball make a comeback with kids, it is just not as exciting and diverse as the modern day vid and redemption world........not to mention it's a pain in the ass to maintain. At this stage Jack should focus on surviving in the world of pinball. Kids are loyal to no one and are worse critics than we could ever be. My nephews love vids, but they think pinball, LCD or not is an old mans game........and guess what, it is!

I never said it would work but he has convinced alot of people to prepay $8k a piece on decades ok children's IP and everyone bought in. WOZ and TH are kids books and novels. Disney is for kids. Cell phones are in every kids hands these day. Jack is a visionary I believe he has his model and its about setting up "New Pinball" for the next 30 years. Half of Pinside will be 65-dead in 20 years. Need new blood. I wish him luck hope this is a home run. And if this works all of his following games will be automatic buys for D&B C'E'Cheese ext. If it fails oh well quick reboot, throw out a kickass Star Wars and all is forgotten. Have to swing for the fences to guy a home run!

#282 8 years ago

I ni

I never said it would work but he has convinced alot of people to prepay $8k a piece on decades ok children's IP and everyone bought in. WOZ and TH are kids books and novels. Disney is for kids. Cell phones are in every kids hands these day. Jack is a visionary I believe he has his model and its about setting up "New Pinball" for the next 30 years. Half of Pinside will be 65-dead in 20 years. Need new blood. I wish him luck hope this is a home run. And if this works all of his following games will be automatic buys for D&B C'E'Cheese ext. If it fails oh well quick reboot, throw out a kickass Star Wars and all is forgotten. Have to swing for the fences to guy a home run!

I have a feeling any game that D&B would consider an "automatic buy" would NOT appeal to most folks here that enjoy pinball.

Get too far away from the nostalgic connection many people have pinball and you will "bite the hand that feeds you."

#283 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I have a feeling any game that D&B would consider an "automatic buy" would NOT appeal to most folks here that enjoy pinball.
    Get too far away from the nostalgic connection many people have pinball and you will "bite the hand that feeds you."

so pinball IS retro.

#284 8 years ago

Dave and Busters has stated NO pinball as it currently exists PERIOD. So JJP is thinking outside of the box.

Who cares about D&B? Barcades are the new thing. I have never set foot in a D&B and I have no plans on ever doing it. Im not interested. The ONLY thing that I would walk in there for would be the star wars battle pod.

#285 8 years ago

Pinball is retro and will die unless changed. Its always been cyclical however its always at least kept up with its competition. It is resurging last 5 years BC of stable everything economy and a whole bunch of new money in the last of the nostalgic groups. 28-45 year olds I bet make up most of this new money. Without a "next in line generation" to pick up the slack, PInball will again fade. We need more stuff like The Pinball Arcade is in my opinion one of the Best new innovations in pinball and could possible help save pinballs future by virtual creating nostalgia. Kids to young adults ages 8-25 now getting a taste of pinball Virtually in their hand held or consoles will help support this hobby 10-20 years from now. We should be promoting technology like this and hopefully Jack has come up something truly innovative. As new tech isn't a deal killer for us older people we are happy with same old pinball, but kids and young adults need more.

#286 8 years ago

i saw 125 new posts and was excited to see all the new info on the jjp #3 lawlor pin!!!

#287 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Who cares about D&B? Barcades are the new thing. I have never set foot in a D&B and I have no plans on ever doing it. Im not interested. The ONLY thing that I would walk in there for would be the Star Wars battle pod.

People with families. Its easier for me to convince my wife and family to go out eat, play some games and I can have a beer. Than for me to drag my family into a Barcade. I take it your not married and don't have kids. Plus they do have Battle Pods and if they have a new JJP #3 as well then maybe you would go there once in a while as well

#288 8 years ago

People with families. Its easier for me to convince my wife and family to go out eat, play some games and I can have a beer. Than for me to drag my family into a Barcade. I take it your not married and don't have kids. Plus they do have Battle Pods and if they have a new JJP #3 as well then maybe you would go there once in a while as well

I got a wife, and should have some kids soon enough, but Id still rather go out with my buddies once in a while to a barcade. That could change though. Kids change everything, lol.

#289 8 years ago

You meed to be 'dialed in ' to get JJP3

#290 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I got a wife, and should have some kids soon enough, but Id still rather go out with my buddies once in a while to a barcade. That could change though. Kids change everything, lol.

LOL! I remember the days of having just a wife and speculation of kids! Enjoy it while it lasts Even with 1 kid its not bad, but after two or 3 kids and as they get older trying to satisfy everyone's needs, A place like Chuck E Cheese or Dave and Busters really works for my demographic.

#291 8 years ago

Stern has had a redemption system add-in for a few years now. It's nothing new, so you statement doesn't make sense.

Nobody cares about D&B or Chuckle Cheese for growing pinball.

Move along.

#292 8 years ago

I don't go to D&B to play pins. I go to D&B to play modern arcade games and redemption machines.

My kids love D&B, and I encourage them to gamble smart. Plus, the Star Wars Battle Pod is cool, but they've really got a bunch of games on that same level of coolness.

#293 8 years ago

Pinball is retro and will die unless changed.

Correct.

And, I don't think a cell phone tie-in, or redemption or a 120" 3d LCD screen will dramatically change that.

I think we're enjoying a great period for pinball- the generation(s) that LOVED it and grew up with it are sitting on a nice lump of discretionary income....

However, when we die off (ugh- thats depressing), I just don't see pinball growing. Will it still be around? Sure, as a novelty, but I'd bet there will not be 3-4 companies building machines... more like 1-2 boutiques...maybe.

Aside from anectdodal stories of kids (usually of pinsiders) who "just love pinball", kids don't dig pinball.

A generation from now, I suspect we will be living in smaller homes as well... not good for these 350 pound behemoths.

Enjoy the peak renaissance of pinball while it lasts.... it won't last forever.... and thats just life.

#294 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Stern has had a redemption system add-in for a few years now. It's nothing new, so you statement doesn't make sense.
    Nobody cares about D&B or Chuckle Cheese for growing pinball.
    Move along.

Your simplifying the issue. Stern has it as an "Add-on" and afterthought. No wonder it sucks and nobody cares. This is a JJP thread and Jack is out there talking about this stuff. Lawlor is a game changer, helped revive pinball in 1992 and has experience thinking outside the box. This game is not going to be an add on ticket spewer as you suggest. And stock holders disagree with you on Dave and Busters.

#295 8 years ago

Your simplifying the issue. Stern has it as an "Add-on" and afterthought. No wonder it sucks and nobody cares. This is a JJP thread and Jack is out there talking about this stuff. Lawlor is a game changer, helped revive pinball in 1992 and has experience thinking outside the box. This game is not going to be an add on ticket spewer as you suggest.

Not going to matter in D&B or Chuckie Cheese.

Pinball revival started with Steve Ritchie's High Speed in 1986, not Lawlor in 1992. Lawlor acknowledged this in the Tilt documentary.

1992-1993 would more be considered the peak year.

#296 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Correct.
    And, I don't think a cell phone tie-in, or redemption or a 120" 3d LCD screen will dramatically change that.
    I think we're enjoying a great period for pinball- the generation(s) that LOVED it and grew up with it are sitting on a nice lump of discretionary income....
    However, when we die off (ugh- thats depressing), I just don't see pinball growing. Will it still be around? Sure, as a novelty, but I'd bet there will not be 3-4 companies building machines... more like 1-2 boutiques...maybe.
    Aside from anectdodal stories of kids (usually of pinsiders) who "just love pinball", kids don't dig pinball.
    A generation from now, I suspect we will be living in smaller homes as well... not good for these 350 pound behemoths.
    Enjoy the peak renaissance of pinball while it lasts.... it won't last forever.... and thats just life.

Spot on!

And seriously - I'm ok with living happily ever after with my room full of pins and when 6 ft. under some day I won't care what happens with pinball anyway.

#297 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Not going to matter in D&B or Chuckie Cheese.
    Pinball revival started with Steve Ritchie's High Speed in 1986, not Lawlor in 1992. Lawlor acknowledged this in the Tilt documentary.
    1992-1993 would more be considered the peak year.

92-93 was the BIG breakthrough.I understand why inside B/W High Speed would be considered the mile marker,but on the street it was another Steve Ritchie game, T2,that had the vidiots lining up to drop coins.DMD was the eye candy that attracted video gamers.

#298 8 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

92-93 was the BIG breakthrough.I understand why inside B/W High Speed would be considered the mile marker,but on the street it was another Steve Ritchie game, T2,that had the vidiots lining up to drop coins.DMD was the eye candy that attracted video gamers.

Sorry, but 92-93 was the peak, not the breakthrough.

And as for T2, well, High Speed sold more than T2, so that argument doesn't hold water either.

#299 8 years ago

Arcades and pins were dying 88-91. I dont need to cite a documentary to tell you that. Pins were dying in early 80's due to the new arcade games. I already stated it was cyclical. Not sure what you are saying. And games like Mortal Kombat Nba Jam TMNT and Street Fighter 2 are the cornerstones of why arcades came back briefly from 91-95. No pinball. Pinball was something you played while waiting for your turn. Pinball was funded on the heels of Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam

There are 526 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-3-pat-lawlors-next-pin/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.