Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 526 posts
  • 179 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    images-2_(resized).jpeg
    382803_504132061221_19559052_n.jpg
    bill-cosby-face.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    FB_IMG_1447638988645.jpg
    image.png
    images-1.jpeg
    Capture.jpg
    download.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    soup.gif
    starship.jpg
    Clint_trek.jpg
    white-out.jpg
    There are 526 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.
    #451 8 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Me too. I sorta want to know what the game is. If it's a good original theme from Pat Lawlor, it could win me over from buying Ghostbusters.

It's probably going to dish out redemption tickets and appeal to the masses at D&B. Excited now?

#452 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

It's probably going to dish out redemption tickets and appeal to the masses at D&B. Excited now?

I doubt that will be its main focus.

#453 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I doubt that will be its main focus.

I hope not too, but success doesn't mean it's going to appeal to the old school pinball crowd.....

#454 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I hope not too, but success doesn't mean it's going to appeal to the old school pinball crowd.....

True. We will have to wait and see. If they can make fun in a box that universally appeals to all ages they will be onto something.

#455 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

i think the theme is going to have to ROCK.
    Let's face it, people are buying games today based on themes, not gameplay (which drives me crazy- btw).
    90% of TH buyers never even saw the PF, much less gameplay before buying. Probably the same for GB LE buyers....
    Agree 100% !
    I know too buddies who ordered new GBLE,s without hesitation based on the title. If there not paying out crazy money for license fees I'm hoping the extra dough let's Pat run wild like Williams did back in the day and create a great game.I will pass on the pre order though had two bad experiences and I'm not going there again.

#456 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Well, Safe Cracker had a design like that, and that's not too bad a game.

At the end of the day, I'm still excited. We haven't had a full budget, original theme game from a high end designer since the B/W days. Something to whet our minds and appetites with for something new is always exciting.

#457 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Your quote got me curious so I did a search for JJP and pin redemption to see if there was anything out there and came across this link showing two active trademarks owned by JJP including Pindemption and something called "Dialed In" From Jan of last year: https://inventively.com/search/trademarks/owner/JJ%20PINBALL%20LLC

I missed the leak but given previous posts like

Quoted from Shapeshifter:With the new funding I expect Pat's game to be 'dialed in' and ready to go this year!

clearly Pindemption and Dialed In must be associated with their current efforts. I did some more clicking around and even found another called Killer AP as well. Intriguing as to what they are up to, and as a Pat fan I sure wish I'd seen the leak...

#458 8 years ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

as a Pat fan I sure wish I'd seen the leak

You really didn't miss much, it was just some guy claiming the game was going to be called 'Dialed In' and that the machine would call your cell phone and tell you what shots to make. I believe it also claimed that 'Toy Story' and 'Muppets' were future titles.

Hard to tell if it was real or not but it was very vague in any case, no pictures or anything.

#459 8 years ago

The leaked info was pretty confusing. The funny thing is that Ghostbusters has 2 of the cool things that is apparently going to be in JJP #3. So not sure if someone got their wires crossed or if Stern beat JJP to the punch.

#460 8 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

You really didn't miss much, it was just some guy claiming the game was going to be called 'Dialed In' and that the machine would call your cell phone and tell you what shots to make.

Hmm? Maybe instead of calling you to tell you the shots to make, create a smartphone app that connects to the pin to log scores online or some sort of online play, even guide you through play. Include some ads in the app and bam! new revenue stream.....

#461 8 years ago

Some fuel for the toy story rumor. I saw what I figure to be early LE concept renders. Red and white caution rails. Buzz Glow green pin legs with purple cabinet. Looks like design is well on the way

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#462 8 years ago

Red and Ted's Roadshow 2

#463 8 years ago

I still think it's continuing the disaster line, which if it does I don't assume to be blown away with the theme announcement.
    Other than TZ...I can't think of a PL title that on it's own would excite me.

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

That's like saying "Steve Ritchie" is the license. No, doesn't work that way.

Actually that's exactly the way it works on Pinside.

#464 8 years ago
    Quoted from ClarkKent:

Red and Ted's Roadshow 2

Would have to be Red, Ted, and Fred's Road Show. No way I'd accept a JJP Road Show without 3 heads.

#465 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Would have to be Red, Ted, and Fred's Road Show. No way I'd accept a JJP Road Show without 3 heads.

Well technically only red & ted are above the playfield...all their children are pop up trolls. Little reds & teds popping up non stop

#466 8 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

The leaked info was pretty confusing. The funny thing is that Ghostbusters has 2 of the cool things that is apparently going to be in JJP #3. So not sure if someone got their wires crossed or if Stern beat JJP to the punch.

GB Prem/LE kinda does have those two things. What is up with that?

#467 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well technically only red & ted are above the playfield...all their children are pop up trolls. Little reds & teds popping up non stop

With Carlene Carter I wouldn't have blamed anyone.

#468 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Do you think they might consider dropping the unlicensed theme due to market conditions?
    My feelings are that for the hobbit, there won't be an absolute ton of new purchases, so some but not a lot of new money. Last time, they had Hobbit preorders to round out the WOZ overruns. This time they aren't (so far) doing that, and the market won't tolerate it again in my opinion.
    So.. Looking ahead at JJP#3 as unlicensed.. That now feels like a larger risk to the company than what it might have a year or two ago when they threw out #3 as unlicensed.

Well, they could always bring in a real hitter like "action" Jack Barker to amp up the place.

#469 8 years ago

I for one am excited about any games themed around infrastructure maintenance.

#470 8 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I for one am excited about any games themed around infrastructure maintenance.

You must be the life of any party.

3 weeks later
    #471 8 years ago

So. It's sounding like this game isn't even close to shipping. Still white wood, most likely? This time last year we were hearing spring 2016. Now...who know when? This is one game, I've been waiting for.

Begs the question...when might this get revealed...when might it actually ship?

My guess: Reveal TPF 2017. Shipping Spring 2018?

#472 8 years ago

Pretty sure it'll be revealed late summer or autumn this year, probably early next year availability.

#473 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Pretty sure it'll be revealed late summer or autumn this year, probably early next year availability.

Did you hear Lawlor's latest comments on the game? Sounds like it's still white wood...undetermined reveal date. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

#474 8 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Did you hear Lawlor's latest comments on the game? Sounds like it's still white wood...undetermined reveal date. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Lawlor's or JJ? Yes I heard the latter. He said he'd been playing the whitewood. It being whitewood doesn't mean much about how final art is. If they're not showing it publicly, and they're constantly refining and adjusting layout and features, why slow down the process with printing / painting the pf and then clearing it when they can just cut it, add insert, and then give it a quick buff with wax to test it. I'm sure they have many iterations of printed PFs, just not for play testing.

Also, remember, it's unlicensed. There's no pressure on them at all to show a third party an all but final layout with final art for approval. They can continue monkeying around with it as long as they like.

#475 8 years ago

Yes, meant JJ.

I guess if JJP had a solid history of timely manufacturing like Stern (or at least adherence to a schedule, like Spooky), I'd feel more confident. The word had been a spring 2016 reveal - that doesn't look likely. Sure would like to be surprised, tho. I still think the reality of the situation is that the Hobbit is trickling off the line. I'd bet they'll be working getting orders filled on that game for months and months... Late into this year. All speculation, of course.

#476 8 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Yes, meant JJ.
    I guess if JJP had a solid history of timely manufacturing like Stern (or at least adherence to a schedule, like Spooky), I'd feel more confident. The word had been a spring 2016 reveal - that doesn't look likely. Sure would like to be surprised, tho. I still think the reality of the situation is that the Hobbit is trickling off the line. I'd bet they'll be working getting orders filled on that game for months and months... Late into this year. All speculation, of course.

I'm certainly no JJP-delay-apologist, but:

If the end result is a game that we can Order, Pay and have Shipped (without any multi-year gaps between those steps), then its worth the wait.

This is assuming the fiasco of pre-ordering is dead, as many have alluded to for JJP #3.

Here's my dream scenario for JJP #3.

1. Game is revealed with full color images and a gameplay video
    2. Orders are taken (perhaps with a modest deposit, like $1000) with shipping to commence within 30 days
    3. Balance due when game is getting boxed up for shipment.

#477 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

If the end result is a game that we can Order, Pay and have Shipped (without any multi-year gaps between those steps), then its worth the wait.
    This is assuming the fiasco of pre-ordering is dead, as many have alluded to for JJP #3.
    2. Orders are taken (perhaps with a modest deposit, like $1000) with shipping to commence within 30 days

Of course. That's everyone's hope. That's exactly how my WOZ purchase went down... But that's only because I waited to buy.

But, the insanely long delay with TH... And the early verbal reveal of a Lawlor designed game.... Just makes me wonder if it really isn't a year-plus away.

Would be great to have it magically come Out this summer.

#478 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

They'll want and need way more than 30 days. That's not going to happen. They need a better idea of demand for lead times for part orders and manufacturing ... especially as I assume the PFs are still going to be made in Germany. I reckon 4 months between revelation and availability is what they'd aim for.

#479 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

It's an interesting dichotomy. In principle, I agree that NO pre-orders is ideal, make the product, sell & ship the product. But if they had decided to do that with The Hobbit and never showed the product two years ago, where would they be now? I'm not stating that the redesign warranted a 2-year delay, but they were more open about the process and took user feedback when they were taking money from folks.

If they had decided to adjust to the make/sell/ship approach with The Hobbit and were just now releasing the product without anyone ever seeing it, then would it have been as well received as it seems to be right now.

Again, I'm not advocating for that on future pins, but it does seem to change things.

#480 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

They'll want and need way more than 30 days. That's not going to happen. They need a better idea of demand for lead times for part orders and manufacturing ... especially as I assume the PFs are still going to be made in Germany. I reckon 4 months between revelation and availability is what they'd aim for.

I don't think this is necessarily true - if they do a true LE and limit it to around 500 units, I'm sure they can be fairly confident that at least those 500 will sell and not need to wait for orders.

#481 8 years ago

Yeah,sorry ,RS sucks! Rudys sister?? suckadoodledoo! Hobbit?Well,children,we who were hip then(1968) read that book to death!also,sadly,LOTR also!GOT nothing new!Samo samo so i bought a GB/pre! Everybodys different!:)Peace!!

#482 8 years ago

Wish they'd hit the gas on this....

#483 8 years ago

Everyone's curious on title and more details. I'm fine with quality so far w jjp. Love lawlor games and may be active on this one, but to ever consider a preorder? Track record a bit thin. Deadbeat relatives would at least pay me more interest with a handful of pocket lint. Hold wallet until it rolls off line.

#484 8 years ago

Does anyone here have a later manufacture WOZ and if so - have you had any of the paint chipping / wear problems I saw other people posting?

#485 8 years ago

My problem with Pat Lawlor games is that The software is always just ok and uninventive. It was ok for the early 90's time when that's all the CPU power and RAM we had in a game. But I expect more now. Like a Stern game programmed by Lonnie, it implements the features and that's basically it. Pat Lawlor Designs likes to handle all the software and Pat likes to dictate the rules for his games. This is why the software for so many lawlor games feels exactly the same. This was also the case when Pat did games for Stern. Ripleys was the most diverse of the Lawlor rules.

When a company has a talented rule developer like Keith on payroll, I think I'd just stick to his games. Hobbit definitely looks like the software is going to be great. I might have to grab one when they're in stock locally.

#486 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

... I might have to grab one when they're in stock locally.

Do it.

#487 8 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

The guy in the brown jacket is Mark Weyna, used to work with JJP.
    You get the picture. Lots of leaks in within the industry itself.

#488 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

My problem with Pat Lawlor games is that The software is always just ok and uninventive. It was ok for the early 90's time when that's all the CPU power and RAM we had in a game. But I expect more now. Like a Stern game programmed by Lonnie, it implements the features and that's basically it. Pat Lawlor Designs likes to handle all the software and Pat likes to dictate the rules for his games. This is why the software for so many lawlor games feels exactly the same. This was also the case when Pat did games for Stern. Ripleys was the most diverse of the Lawlor rules.

I thought the case at Stern was that they had Lawlor and his team develop the whitewood and a basic ruleset, and then took over from there? If that was the case (I think there's an interview with him where he discusses that but I might be misremembering) then I'm definitely excited to see him given more of a free hand. "Free hand" is what gave us Twilight Zone, after all.

#489 8 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

Does anyone here have a later manufacture WOZ and if so - have you had any of the paint chipping / wear problems I saw other people posting?

I have one of the final preordered ECLEWOZ games. It was manufactured in late June 2014 and delivered in early July 2014, three years after I left my deposit. The playfield exhibits no meaningful wear and certainly no chips. After several months, as a precaution, I placed a small mylar protector in front of the drop target, when I learned of a chip there in a fellow collector's game. Likewise, last year, I installed the complimentary mylar set furnished by JJP to protect the high traffic areas. I thought that chipping paint was the result of an anomalous batch of playfields, which were exposed to inhospitable temperatures, in about the fall of 2013.

#490 8 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

I have one. Zero issues

#491 8 years ago

The cliffy throne room Kevlar protector is a must.

#492 8 years ago

There are kevlar scoop protectors available now? How do they hold up vs. sheet metal ones?

#493 8 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Wish they'd hit the gas on this....

Me too, I am itchin' for a scratch to see this game!!

#494 8 years ago

Huh, "Office Space"? I didn't see that one coming. Love the movie though! Can't wait to play the printer smashing mode!

#495 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

This is the 1st time I heard of this.

1 week later
    #496 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

Huh, "Office Space"? I didn't see that one coming. Love the movie though! Can't wait to play the printer smashing mode!

PC Load Letter Multiball

#497 7 years ago

I look forward to a great Lawler game as he will have spent 5-6 years designing the single game and that will probably have been the longest development cycle in the history of pinball. A masterpice per se.

#498 7 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Who sells these? I dont see them on the Cliffy site.

Quoted from Crash:

There are kevlar scoop protectors available now? How do they hold up vs. sheet metal ones?

First ive heard of this as well.

#499 7 years ago

I've gotta say...after playing TH, I have serious concerns about JJP making it to the next game. Perhaps I'll be wrong on this assessment (I sure hope I am), but I can't imagine that TH will earn well... is it a game that OPs are going to pony-up for? Same goes for home collectors...will enough step forward with $8.25K to $8.75K to keep the JJP engine going?

Obviously, I have no insights into JJPs finances, but one would have to assume that they're not equipped to take the blow of middling second title?

#500 7 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Who sells these? I dont see them on the Cliffy site.

First ive heard of this as well.

It's all you can get now. It's a replacement to the stainless which is NLA. Site is not updated.

There are 526 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-3-pat-lawlors-next-pin/page/10?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.