Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by DCRand
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi. Help? The bonus unit on my Jive Time works fine in play. I only have seen other Jive Times online. But when you start a new game I would imagine the bonus guitar strip should reset, right? Doesn't make sense to me why the next player would get the points from the previous player. Mine doesn't reset. I don't see many videos online of a real Jive Time (non-xbox version) starting up. This is one and it also doesn't seem to reset

Does anyone know for sure if it supposed to? And if it is, how is can be fixed?

#2 4 years ago

The bonus unit is reset by the bonus or double bonus relay. Check those out. Instruction manual and schematic are here if you don't have them: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1298

#3 4 years ago

Many early games (before End of Ball bonus collect), do not reset playfield bonus between balls and/or game resets. Look at it as an incentive to drop another coin to prevent someone else from collecting your hard earned points!

I think it was even brought up that on Williams Lucky Ace (Single player version of Dealer's Choice) didn't clear the 10 to Ace sequence between games (1-9 IS reset with each new game). That one definitely struck me as a bit odd.

3 years later
#4 10 months ago

Just finishing refurbing a Jive Time, and spent an hour tonight trying to find out why the bonus didn't pay at end of ball. Guess this post tells me why. Wondering if it can be hot wired to do so? Any ideas? And I know, changes the original game, but no one likes the game this way so maybe it will make it a better player?

#5 10 months ago

It's possible to do a circuit mod like this, but it is non-trivial. It would likely involve adding at least one additional switch to the bonus stepper unit and/or at least one of the relays. Also, assuming you want to retain the bonus spin-score feature, you would need to design your circuit mod so that scoring the bonus did not trigger a ball-in-play advance unless the ball was sitting in the outhole.

As far as I'm concerned, it's fine to make circuit modifications to a game as long as the machine doesn't get hacked up, and the mod can be reversed. This type of mod could satisfy both of those goals if done correctly.

If you decide to try this, it would probably be good to document each individual wiring change as you go, to make it easier to put the game back to its original working order in the future.

- TimMe

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from TimMe:

It's possible to do a circuit mod like this, but it is non-trivial. It would likely involve adding at least one additional switch to the bonus stepper unit and/or at least one of the relays. Also, assuming you want to retain the bonus spin-score feature, you would need to design your circuit mod so that scoring the bonus did not trigger a ball-in-play advance unless the ball was sitting in the outhole.
As far as I'm concerned, it's fine to make circuit modifications to a game as long as the machine doesn't get hacked up, and the mod can be reversed. This type of mod could satisfy both of those goals if done correctly.
If you decide to try this, it would probably be good to document each individual wiring change as you go, to make it easier to put the game back to its original working order in the future.
- TimMe

In playing the game more, and getting the last cosmetic touches done. Pretty much decided to just sell it as is. Played a few more games tonight, and just don't think the bonus change would add anything but points to game play.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside