Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Chico
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have a Jetsons pinball that I got in a trade. I was just curious if anyone else was was having any problems with their GI fuses on their Spooky pinballs blowing. The fuses seem to be blowing with the stock lighting although I was looking at upgrading some lighting in the pop bumpers. The fuse is rated at 1amp and uses a GMA style fast blow fuse on the the Ben Heck Pinboard. The GI is all the spot lights, general playfield illuminations, as well as the pop bumpers. I wasn't sure if this might be overloading the 1 amp fuse. It doesn't blow right away. I'm not sure if I should be looking for something shorted or if I should step up to a slightly larger amp fuse, or even go to a slow blow fuse. I thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts since it seems the knowledge base on the Spooky pins are somewhat limited. Thanks in advance.

#2 5 years ago

Charlie on KT's computer... only thing that blows a GI fuse in our games is the same thing that blows a GI fuse in any game... a short.

Look at the little tabs on all the GI sockets and make sure one isn't spun into the other or a wire isn't broken off somewhere.

#3 5 years ago

Using the flippers...I think the left one,seems to be what blows the fuse...Game will reset, and then plays fine with no GI. Also, when all lights are working, hitting the flippers seems to to dim the lighting a bit. I'll look for a short though...Thanks for the reply. I'll also replace with one more fuse and let it play for a while without playing the game to further test the hypothesis.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4 5 years ago

Is pretty likely to have two contacts that are very close, but not touching until vibration causes them to. This might be tabs as Charlie mentioned or even inside an LED. I've had bulbs with internal shorts twice on my own games.

If it's not doing it in attract, you might try tapping on the bulbs or playfield to see it you can induce it.

#5 5 years ago

Good idea....I'll try that. Thanks.

#6 5 years ago

I think its all squared away now. For what its worth...and future reference, it turned out to be some highly questionable wiring. There was a lot of tiny loose single strand wires that didn't get soldered originally. For quality control purposes, it was mostly the black wires that went to the spot lights. Especially the ones piggybacked on the back of the center pin/tab of the GI sockets. For good measure, I also bent the tabs apart a bit on the the GI lights, trimmed off the excess and re-soldered all the wires that had too long a stripped lead section of the wires. All seems to be working well now. Thanks again for the help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8,700.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments
Pinball Machine
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Meridian Charter Township, MI
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jetsons-spooky-pinballs-anyone-have-problems-with-blown-gi-fuses?hl=spookykt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.