IMG_9978 (resized).JPG
IMG_9975 (resized).JPG
IMG_9974 (resized).JPG
Jet Spin.pdf (PDF preview)
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_9972 (resized).JPG
IMG_9967 (resized).JPG
IMG_9968 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpaceTimeGuy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I just bought a Jet Spin a couple weeks ago. It works great EXCEPT every time you hit the round target on the left > it awards an Extra Ball (even if that target isn't lit for Extra Ball) ... Having some friends over for pinball tournament tomorrow and want to fix this.

I am NOT an electrical genius ... I did look at the Extra Ball Unit relay ... When I examined it and relay OFF > BOTH contacts were touching ... Thought maybe an "easy fix" so I spread the contact closest to relay so NOT touching (seemed like a good thing to try .. LOL .. like I said I'm NOT a genius) .. So NOW when relay OFF the contact closest to the coil is NOT touching ... contact farther from relay is touching. When hit the red target the relay activates and the contacts "switch" (closest to coil touches .. farther doesn't) ... Well the good news > fiddling with the close contact didn't appear to break any thing or make it worse ... but didn't solve problem either ... (SHOULD I PUT THIS BACK TO WAY IT WAS??)

Don't know if this tell you anything > switched the Extra Ball plug that goes Conservative or Liberal ... no effect on problem. I also pulled the pin completely out > no effect on problem.

I have a schematic I just bought ... I found the Extra Ball Relay on it at 4 1/2 E .. but, did I mention, I'm not an electrical genius... so can't tell what to look for ..

APPRECIATE YOUR TIME and HELP !

#3 6 years ago

This is position with GAME power OFF ... and think same UNTIL the red circle target is hit > then relay activates and stays "ON" (open contact closes .. and closed one becomes open) ... assuming after the ball in play drains and Extra ball is kicked out > that relay goes back to this position ...? .. but I didn't verify that ..

IMG_9968 (resized).JPGIMG_9968 (resized).JPG

IMG_9967 (resized).JPGIMG_9967 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

Here's part of schematic ... hope you can read it

IMG_9972 (resized).JPGIMG_9972 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Please be aware these schematics are copyright protected from PBR. That whole issue has been discussed many times on several different threads. Share privately if you must. We want Steve to be able to keep his prices as low as possible, right? 8). Thanks

RIGHT ... I bought my manual and schematic and parts catalog from PBR .. But I appreciate currieddog posting the schematic so someone who doesn't own this game (but is good at reading schematics) can help me.

IMG_9974 (resized).JPGIMG_9974 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The problem is most likely in the Bonus unit. As a quick fix though you could try changing the Extra Ball Frequency adjustment and/or the 3-5 Ball adjustment.

Originally, I tried changing Extra Ball freq adjustment ... moved the Jones plug from conservative to liberal > didn't help .. and pulled the jones plug totally out > didn't help

5 balls > Hmmm ... I didn't really want on 5 BUT probably better than everybody getting tons of extra balls !

OK .. Dumb question > is this the Bonus unit? in front of roto target > under playfield ... (see photos) ... so if the bouns unit > is it usually just an adjustment of the blade on leaf switch ? (hope I'm using correct terminology)

2nd photo is of a sticker on what I think is Bonus Unit ... 3rd photo of sticker on the unit that turns the credit wheel in the Head ... (just in case that helps???) doesn't look like pics loaded in correct order ... ? the closer sticker (inside sw opens reset coil circuit) was on the unit in the back box that turns the credit wheel ...

Also > extra ball relay (that I spread the contacts apart) > should I bend it back so the switch that is closest to the coil, is touching when relay not activated ?? This doesn't make sense to me >as if it is touching when OFF then when energized the blades are pulled toward the coil and will still be touching, just "harder" ... if that contact is always touching then why have a switch at all ?? is my thinking correct ...?

IMG_9975 (resized).JPGIMG_9975 (resized).JPG

IMG_9978 (resized).JPGIMG_9978 (resized).JPG

IMG_9976 (resized).JPGIMG_9976 (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago

Update: HowardR Straight_Shooter currieddog
Schematic (and owners manual) do NOT tell where Bonus Unit is located in machine (as far as I can tell) ... I found Bonus Unit on schematic 3-B ... based on wires colors that go to Bonus lights (BL, OR, BR, GR, SL, YEl, Bl-WH, OR-WH, etc..) > I believe the picture I posted before is the Bonus Unit.

White-Slate wire from left score target SW to the BU looks good (although I didn't cut the cords holding the wires bundled together) ... it's a short distance so will prob do that next..? OR CAN I JUMP A WIRE BETWEEN THESE 2 POINTS? (IF SO> do I need to disconnect the old wire first?)

DID FIND > 2 worn wires on right side of machine (looks like rub against the metal prop rod) ... white-Slate goes to DD Special Target Score Control relay ... and a Blue and Yellow wire (didn't look where this went) ... It didn't look like the 2 bare wires were touching each other but I spread them apart and temporarily taped bare spots. This DID NOT solve the EXTRA BALL problem. BTW > both wires looks solid (not cut) ... just some insulation worn off. I took a photo but don't think photo help ..?

The right red circle target works properly (scores correctly and awards extra ball when the "extra ball when lit" light comes on)

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Bonus score relay (K) is the 5th up on the right side of the cabinet bottom.

Thot I was suppose to be checking wire from Bonus UNIT to Left target switch? should I check the bonus RELAY also ? to make sure it's not "stuck" ..? (constantly open or closed)

just looked at it ... both contacts are not touching ... hitting the left target > did nothing to Bonus score relay (no change) ... but extra ball was awarded (even tho the Extra ball when lit was OFF

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Straight_Shooter:

Is this bundle of wires cutting into the edge of the metal?

No, those wires not worn .... BUT while I was looking at those wires > noticed where wires soldered to the bakalite? board >2 wires touching ... and one is the WH-Slate

OMG > IT"S FIXED !!!!!!! WOO HOO !!!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH !!!!!!!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOU HELP !!! (Sorry it was so simple ... I should have noticed this a half hour ago when I was checking that wire)

ALSO > Good thing I found the worn wires (on other side of cabinet) ... save me from having to bother you all so often !

THANKS AGAIN for walking me through this!!!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!

P.S. This week I will watch the tutorial video on Understanding Schematics !

IMG_9984 (resized).JPGIMG_9984 (resized).JPG

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

No apology necessary. I can't tell you how often I just happen to notice an obvious problem while following a circuit on the schematic. Glad to help.

THANKS ! That makes me feel a little better ... I will watch the Understanding Schematics tutorial video ... and get stronger reading glasses (for the close-up troubleshooting) ! LOL

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpaceTimeGuy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jet-spin-too-many-extra-balls?tu=SpaceTimeGuy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.