View topic image gallery

IMG-4366 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
0Jet-Spin-Work-05 (resized).jpg
0Jet-Spin-Work-04-Save (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tengle93.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I've been trying to resurrect a JS and I've reached a roadblock. When I got the machine it would not start up and was blowing fuses. Fixed numerous dirty contacts, switch adjustments and other things and it now starts up perfectly, kicks the ball out and then the playfield goes dead, no lights or flippers or scoring. It appears like the anti-cheat switch has been activated but I checked the switches and they are correct/working.

Couple of other things to note.
1. This is my first Gottlieb 4 player machine (figure that important, LOL)
2. Lights on playfield work fine during startup
3. Ball one comes up on backbox, but will not advance to ball two when manually put ball in kickout
4. Tilting the machine works, lights come on, tilt light comes on and game ends
5. Can't add players: when ball is kicked out and replay button pressed the machine just resets.

Think that's it.

What I'm not 100% sure about is what relays should be on at that time. Tried manually activating AX but that doesn't solve the problem. Can't seem to wrap my head around this, maybe someone else has an idea of where to look.

Thanks in advance.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I would re-check the Make/Break switches on the AX; they're very tetchy. Also check the M/B sw. on U shown here.
[quoted image]

That could be it (1st Ball Relay- U). I'll check that again. Think I looked at that already but as you said, they can be a bit of a pain.

Thanks

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Questions: When game ends do You see in the backglass lighted "Game Over" ?

Game Over is displayed only after Tilting the game. Tilt light appears also.

During start-up are the pop bumpers lit ? then as the playfield goes dead - the pop bumpers lights turn off ?

Yes, pops blink and all playfield lights are on. When ball kicks out all lights go off.

You have lifted the playfield and look into the cabinet - You toggle-on the pin, You start a game - do You see the R-Hold-Relay pull-in ? do You see the H-Tilt-Hold-Relay pull-in ? when the ball is kicked out and the playfield goes dead - do R-Relay and H-Relay (still) steady pull, stay pulling forever ?

I'm not at home now but I know the R relay is pulled and I believe the H relay is also but I'm not 100%. I'll check later.

Thanks Rolf

#8 5 years ago

Right you are rolf_martin_062 and @currieddog, H is not pulling in. Manually do it and pin works, BUT it won't stay. So the connection to H is through Tilt Relay (T) switch (tested fine) and AX (switches test fine). So AX relay latch won't hold. I'm guessing this should be latched but when AX is manually engaged it latches, then runs the score motor and unlatches. Just need to trace that.

Thanks guys, making headway.

Getting closer.......I think.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Did you check that M/B sw. on U?

Yep, that's fine. Checking the path to U now, checked switches at M, N, O and R. All are ok.

Stumped now.

#11 5 years ago

@rolf_martin_062 Checked all of the connections on the light patch you circled and they are all good.

I'm assuming that P1 could be any of the 6 switches on the player unit 1st Cam. They all checked out ok.

I've been down most of this path before, I think I got so frustrated I lost track of what I did.

Still stumped.

#13 5 years ago

IF (if, if) the R-Relay is still pulling and the H-Relay is not pulling: The wiring "my brown lines" is faulty - I guess the "my red star, my red star H Make and Brake switch" is faulty.

That's it @rolf_martin_062!! Make break switch on H was not fully touching. That explains why it would "buzz" a bit when I manually would engage it. Just had too much resistance to pull it in all the way. Makes total sense now.

Thanks a bunch guys, appreciate the help.

#15 5 years ago

Hi tengle93
great - You could fix the faulty switch on H-Relay --- and now - does the pin fully functions ? Or what faults / problems does Your pin has by now ? Is the description You gave in post-1 still true ? Or - please give an updated description of faults. Greetings Rolf

So the pin starts up and plays well BUT does not advance to the next ball. So basically I can play forever.

Ball 1 lights but on second ball it goes out and nothing shows on backglass, again it keeps spitting out balls.

I can add all 4 players but only player one scores.

So basically the player unit isn't stepping after startup I assume. Checking it now.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does the Add Player Unit (P) relay activate when this happens?

Yes, it activates after ball one drains and trough switch is activated.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Add Player Unit solenoid doesn't advance when the Add Player Unit (P) relay activates, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
[quoted image]

Just checked. Yep, the player unit is doing exactly what it should. Steps 4 times for one player, once for 4 player.

Howard, see you're in Boulder. My son is a Freshman at CU. Great place.

Thanks for the help.

Todd

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Check out the BX, another fun latch relay.

Here's what I can't seem to find on the schematic. Here' what I'm assuming, but I may be wrong.

The ball count is not advancing, but the player unit is working correctly, steps exactly what is should for the number of players. The question is, does the player unit control the ball count or is there another relay that does this through the player unit?

I checked BX and from what I can tell it is working correctly

I'm almost there....Thanks

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Yes
[quoted image]

Yea, I saw that but wasn't sure if lights and actual ball count were the same thing. Guess I was just overthinking it.

It has to be a connection. I'll check into it later.

Thanks

#25 5 years ago

It's fixed FINALLY! All four players 5 balls each, game over.

So this one took awhile but the problem is a bit curious.

So as I looked at the area in the schematic that @howardr posted I started looking at how all the lights traveled through the same path (Yellow wire, through Q, AX, P) SO if ball on worked they should all work.

As I fiddled around with the wiper disc on the player unit it shifted/rotated slightly, as the screws were not real tight (see yellow in picture) so since the wipers and disc don't have perfect "registration" (to use a printers term) they touched properly in ball one but when the wipers moved to ball 2 and beyond the wiper sat on the edge of the rivet but must have been a bit dirty so it didn't make good contact.

So I shifted the disc and used a flexstone along the whole bottom arc of the wiper disc and that did the trick.

Crazy!

Thanks for everyone's help @currieddog @rolf_martin_062 @howardr, just have some playfield cleaning to do.

IMG-4366 (resized).jpgIMG-4366 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tengle93.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jet-spin-startup-then-dead-playfield?tu=tengle93 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.